Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfoy
Jan 21, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/billt460/50BMGRoundDetonatedInHandjpg.jpg

Possibly :nws: depending on where you work, it's pretty graphic.

ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

iyaayas01 posted:

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/billt460/50BMGRoundDetonatedInHandjpg.jpg

What would have happened to the cartridge when it went off? I assume it would have split spectacularly since it was unsupported by a chamber.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Aperture Priority posted:

What would have happened to the cartridge when it went off? I assume it would have split spectacularly since it was unsupported by a chamber.

Grenaded, probably.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

It is a 640 PLEASE ADVISE thankyou

Yes, especially if it's A) in decent condition and B) a pre-lock model.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

infrared35 posted:

Gah between me and my room mate who just had his carry piece stolen we are getting that gun.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Aperture Priority posted:

What The Automator said. Normally I'm all for giving the dude involved in a mishap the benefit of the doubt, but jesus christ, he was hammering on a PIN using the primer end of the round...what the gently caress did he expect to happen?

Army Strong Stupid! :patriot:

And if you think that's bad, you should see the safety missive I got a few months ago about why you should stay away from a running jet engine's suction zone...the aftermath isn't very pretty, although I guess a positive is that there really wasn't anything left that was recognizable as a human being (or any organism, really...it was more a pink spray with some chunks), so it wasn't too disturbing until you realized what it used to be.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

It looks like jam! (it seriously does, jam and a bolognese sauce)

LavistaSays
Dec 25, 2005

This guy didn't seem to much worse for wear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_gpPbpONK4

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

iyaayas01 posted:

running jet engine's suction zone

Yeah I think I now know all I need to know about this. Jesus.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

what the gently caress

These people are allowed to handle guns?

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

An army is usually armed, if that's what you're asking. The Salvation Army generally eschews anything heavier than carbines and sidearms, though.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

LavistaSays posted:

This guy didn't seem to much worse for wear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_gpPbpONK4

That guy was loving lucky...his cranial protection separated from his head and FODed out the engine, the A-6 has rather long intakes before you even reach the first compressor blades, and the pilot shut down the engine before he really got sucked in.

Contrast that to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1DkUOOfDFk&feature=related (video is work safe, the only thing harmed is a bunch of snow).

The incident that the report was discussing actually involved a 737 (the aircraft in the video), which has the additional hazard of its engines being mounted unusually low due to the original JT8D engines being replaced with CFM56s, which are much larger around. As you can see from the video, you can get pretty close without any sort of suction, but once you get into that zone you're pretty much hosed, especially if the engine is running at full throttle because you're doing a test/troubleshooting run at the gate, in direct contravention of the applicable tech data and your own airline's regulations, as was occurring in the incident I'm talking about.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 22, 2010

vains
May 26, 2004

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

what the gently caress

People do dumb poo poo all the time in country. Handling firearms and ammunition constantly tends to make the users lax regarding safety, even common sense stuff. It's dangerous and stupid but it happens. It is difficult to combat complacency in combat.

For example:
25mm rounds have a tendency to come out of their links if they're handled. The weight of the belt will do this if you don't support it evenly. If the round is misaligned it'll cause a jam which is a pain the rear end to clear. So, some guy was going through and doing some maintenance on his rounds...with a hammer. Hit a primer on one of the rounds and hosed his hand up.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I stole this from The Firearm Blog, but it is a fairly interesting fictitious gun designed by one of the Crytek guys that actually has some thought put into it.

Also, it has a RAILED loving SUPPRESSOR.

More pictures, animations and pretend info here.

http://pascaleggert.de/games3.html

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

WTFBEES posted:

I stole this from The Firearm Blog, but it is a fairly interesting fictitious gun designed by one of the Crytek guys that actually has some thought put into it.
Note that "some thought" is not "intelligent thought". For instance those fins on the back are specifically designed to vent hot gas into the shooter's face, and the designer believes that to be a "feature".

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Other problems: The magazine is integral to the function of the stock; removing the silencer removes your light or laser as well (which, in the latter case, will not return to zero).

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

It actually looks like the stock runs on that little track on the inside of the magazine, which probably isn't a part of the magazine itself. Not that that is much better since you now have a part of the gun expected to stand up to all sorts of abuse being held on by a flimsy little bit of plastic/sheet metal. :v:

That thing looks really uncomfortable to hold onto as well. The magazine is right where your wrist should be.

Roadtard
May 24, 2008

The Sonnensault

I really dig the airsoft mbus front sight mounted backwards.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

omgLerkHat! posted:

It actually looks like the stock runs on that little track on the inside of the magazine, which probably isn't a part of the magazine itself. Not that that is much better since you now have a part of the gun expected to stand up to all sorts of abuse being held on by a flimsy little bit of plastic/sheet metal. :v:

That thing looks really uncomfortable to hold onto as well. The magazine is right where your wrist should be.

But it's SPACE flimsy little bit of plastic/sheet metal.

So you're fine.

BTW: Are the pics of that gun renders? Because they look pretty drat realistic.

edit: "Upper- and Lowerreceiver as well as the buttstock are made from titanium for maximum durability and because it's really, really expensive." :laugh:

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 22, 2010

Schigolch
Apr 30, 2008

Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb, make thee?

spankmeister posted:

But it's SPACE flimsy little bit of plastic/sheet metal.

So you're fine.

BTW: Are the pics of that gun renders? Because they look pretty drat realistic.

edit: "Upper- and Lowerreceiver as well as the buttstock are made from titanium for maximum durability and because it's really, really expensive." :laugh:

Look like renders to me, magazine translucency is too smooth, there is no darkness at the edge where material thickness should make it darker.

That and it's on a game artist's portfolio website, but then so are nonentity's lightsabers and nixie clocks.

Schigolch fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 22, 2010

beta
May 6, 2007
It ends here.

Anjow posted:

Not being a firearm owner, I don't know this:

How sensitive are primers? Are they only sensitive to sharp shocks like hammers striking them? Or would a gradual application of the same amount of force cause them to fire? What does one need to be worried about when handling ammunition (specifically concerning the primers)?
Something related to a dropping test. There's no actual proof of this being valid though. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?s=e8d2c93bb9a4b52f83dd41fbd7e8952b&p=3353835&postcount=10

You can set off a cartridge by dropping, it's a really, really low possibility though, when talking with not dropping of off from a building and in just the right angle to a just perfect hardness floor.

On primers themselves, and not concerning your question, even if they're not prone to accidental discharge, do wear safety glasses when handling primers. You can set off one and thus the rest from a hand held primer unit. Even when using a progressive press you might do something wrong and set one off.

Now a large rifle primer contains about 10 joules worth of energy when detonating. This is enough to put your eye out, either by the flame or the by the anvil from a boxer type primer.

So treat them with care, and wear safety glasses.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

beta posted:

So treat them with care, and wear safety glasses.
Seriously, safety glasses for carrying a box of ammo?

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

WTFBEES posted:

Also, it has a RAILED loving SUPPRESSOR.

More pictures, animations and pretend info here.

http://pascaleggert.de/games3.html

The next logical step- a weapon where the whole stock is a huge magazine that holds like 200 rounds and balances the fuckload of heavy tacticlol poo poo hanging off the front.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Pitch posted:

Seriously, safety glasses for carrying a box of ammo?
Did you miss the part where he explicitly says "when handling primers" in the paragraph that is clearly talking about reloading?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

GroovinPickle posted:

Did you miss the part where he explicitly says "when handling primers" in the paragraph that is clearly talking about reloading?
I did, but mostly because that's explicitly not what the question he was answering asked.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

One of you California goons, go down to Pelican Bay State Prison and find out what their standard issue sidearm is.

Just curious. :v:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

This might be a really dumb question but the point of a red dot sight is that the dot always shows where the gun is pointed even if your head isn't perfectly straight behind the sight right?

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

FirstPersonShitter posted:

This might be a really dumb question but the point of a red dot sight is that the dot always shows where the gun is pointed even if your head isn't perfectly straight behind the sight right?

Some red dot sights yes, others kinda....

Parallax or some poo poo like that, google it. I don't use red dots because of my lolawesome astigmatism so I stick with 1-4x. Unless I am mistaken and the dot on any aimpoint and eotech is supposed to looks like a star exploding and fill 1/2 the lens.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

ZebraBlade posted:

Parallax or some poo poo like that, google it. I don't use red dots because of my lolawesome astigmatism so I stick with 1-4x. Unless I am mistaken and the dot on any aimpoint and eotech is supposed to looks like a star exploding and fill 1/2 the lens.

Can you adjust the brightness on those? I know with my Osprey if I dont have the brightness at some of its lowest settings it goes sunburst on me.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

ZebraBlade posted:

Try mounting the dot for an absolute cowwitness with your irons. The collimating effect of the aperture may compensate somewhat for the astigmatic defect in your eyes.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Thanks for the help with the ammo everyone who responded, the good people at Palmetto agreed to refund me for the defective rounds after we spoke on the phone. So, good on them for taking care of me.

Second question, on the Glock 32 (19 sized frame) the gen 3 has thumb and finger grooves. This makes the Magpul high tang ( :bustem: ) grip very uncomfortable and akward to use. Should I just modify that style of grip to fit into the grooves or is there a more appropriate style of grip to use?

Also, is there a safe way to dispose of ammo? Should I just take the rounds to my local dealer/range next time out and let them handle it?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Call them before you take them down, to be sure they'll actually take them. The police are sometimes another option, but the same "call before" stipulation is in effect.

LavistaSays
Dec 25, 2005

post it in the pay-it-forward thread and give it to a goon who will actually shoot it.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

FunOne posted:

Second question, on the Glock 32 (19 sized frame) the gen 3 has thumb and finger grooves. This makes the Magpul high tang ( :bustem: ) grip very uncomfortable and akward to use. Should I just modify that style of grip to fit into the grooves or is there a more appropriate style of grip to use?

Ignore the grooves. Grip it as high as possible.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

FunOne posted:

Also, is there a safe way to dispose of ammo? Should I just take the rounds to my local dealer/range next time out and let them handle it?

Down range. :v:

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

No one has any info about the Win Super-X2??

I gather it is similar if not the same to a FN SLP.

Also $475 is good??? Maybe?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

LavistaSays posted:

post it in the pay-it-forward thread and give it to a goon who will actually shoot it.

Naramyth posted:

Down range. :v:

The defective ammo!

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The current Winchester Arms Co. guns are made by Browning, which is itself a subsidiary of FNH-USA - so yeah, it's essentially a re-branded SLP. See also: The FNAR & BAR autoloading rifles; the SPR & Model 70 bolt-action rifles; and the FNP & Browning Pro Nine pistols.

Also the FN Hi-Power and, uh, "Browning" Hi-Power :v:

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 22, 2010

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

ZebraBlade posted:

Also $475 is good??? Maybe?

A quick look on Bud's says the most recently sold models went for upwards of 600, so yeah, that sounds good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

infrared35 posted:

Fffffffff yes it is a pre-lock for $300 God Damnit get me back to Nashville. It shall be mine!