Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

Score!

Just what I was looking for. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Pitch posted:

Single-Action Only. It means the hammer must be cocked for the gun to fire because the trigger only serves to drop it. In other actions pulling the trigger will raise the hammer and then drop it in one motion.

It doesn't make a lot of sense there either, though, because the gun is useless when uncocked and as a result everyone carries it cocked with the safety on.

In fact it doesn't make ANY sense with a 1911 or similar SAO semi-auto. You have to rack the slide to chamber a round which cocks the hammer. Cocking the hammer on your 1911 to show you mean business really just shows that your gun is unloaded.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

The junk collector posted:

In fact it doesn't make ANY sense with a 1911 or similar SAO semi-auto. You have to rack the slide to chamber a round which cocks the hammer. Cocking the hammer on your 1911 to show you mean business really just shows that your gun is unloaded.

Manual decock.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Gtab posted:

Manual decock.

No.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Gtab posted:

Manual decock.

Is that when you ND into your crotch?

Eating the Pudding
Apr 28, 2009

No.

He didn't say it was a smart idea, just possible. I bet there's a decent percentage of people that carry hammer down on a chambered round.

Eating the Pudding fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 14, 2010

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Anyone have a link to the android shot timer that someone made here?

pulphero
Sep 22, 2005
I got no powers

I have been thinking about getting a backpacking / camping gun / survival gun. More as a toy than any practical reason. The kel tec 2000 or one of there folding 223 guns is just about what I am looking for but I don't want to deal with them.

major factors

9mm or larger round
small enough to fit in my pack 12" x 24".

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

pulphero posted:

I have been thinking about getting a backpacking / camping gun / survival gun. More as a toy than any practical reason. The kel tec 2000 or one of there folding 223 guns is just about what I am looking for but I don't want to deal with them.

major factors

9mm or larger round
small enough to fit in my pack 12" x 24".

Ultra-light .357 revolver. Great for hiking, to small for bears.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

I was getting at that I've seen movies where the guy is carrying a 1911 or whatever hammer down and points it at someone. He's acting all serious, but I can't help but think, there's no way that gun is going off. When he cocks it then he is able to shoot, but it seems like he just trying to say he's being REALLY serious. Yeah, it doesn't make sense because he should have been carrying it ready to go. Remember, the hammer or shotgun slide is not a Serious Meter.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Anjow posted:

I know little about firearms. In film and TV, guards carry pistols. They hear a noise and decide to go and check it out, and on the way they cock the pistols. This seems to happen with shotguns, too.

Is this silly? To my uneducated mind it wouldn't make sense for them to carry a weapon that's not (barring the safety) ready to fire as they wouldn't know when they'd need it, they might get surprised by someone and having to take time to cock it before firing would get them killed.

By cock, do you you mean pull the hammer back? Or do you mean rack the slide? Either way is dumb. It's amazing how many shows still insist that law enforcement officers carry with empty chambers so they can rack their slides dramatically when they MEAN BUSINESS.

Flash Forward, I'm looking at you.

pulphero
Sep 22, 2005
I got no powers

Ultra-light .357 revolver. Great for hiking, to small for bears.

already have that. I should have included that I want some thing shoulderable that can be accurately used out to 75 yard. with out getting in to something like this abomination

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Get a Marlin 1894c. .357, pretty light, accurate, fun as hell, and pretty :3:

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

pulphero posted:

already have that. I should have included that I want some thing shoulderable
If you want a shoulder-fired gun that fits into a 24" pack the Kel-tec foldup carbine is your only choice outside of a tax stamp.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

No.

uh, yes?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

How the gently caress do I install a Mojo rear sight on an AK? I got the factory sight out just fine, but I'll be damned if the Mojo will go in. I've compress the spring a couple different ways, pressed on the spring and the new sight with all my sizable weight, pushed on the sight while holding the back of it up half an inch as suggested on the AK forums, I've hammered on the new sight until it's all bashed up and there's no finish on it. It just won't go on.

:bang:

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

It's a true caveman method ( :v: ), but the most effective way I've found is to rest the gun on a sandbag and press down on the front of the spring with a flat screwdriver. You're ~90% guaranteed to scratch the finish on the spring; however, it's a goddamn AK who cares.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Uncle Caveman posted:

It's a true caveman method ( :v: ), but the most effective way I've found is to rest the gun on a sandbag and press down on the front of the spring with a flat screwdriver. You're ~90% guaranteed to scratch the finish on the spring; however, it's a goddamn AK who cares.

I have taken all the finish off the front half of the spring. I have compressed the spring while my wife hammered on the sight. I have hammered on the sight while my wife compressed the spring.

The most frustrating thing is I can't even get the factory sight back on now.

This is some kind of engineer's practical joke, right? :smith:

Edit: The Mojo sight goes in if I pull the spring out, but it's really tight. I filed on it judiciously for about ten minutes but it still doesn't go in very easily. At any rate, I still can't get the factory sight back in either. :saddowns:

I will not let this beat me. Soviet Cold War engineering will not get the better of me.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 15, 2010

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Leaf spring sights are universally bastards.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

Cyrano4747 posted:

Leaf spring sights are universally bastards.

They leaf much to be desired.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Whew! My hands are bleeding and my wife is laughing at me. But after a Herculean effort, the son of a bitch is on there. I used a vise grip clamped down on the rear of the Mojo sight. My wife pushed the spring down with everything she had, and I wrestled that son of a motherless goat into place. Of course, it's still really tight so it doesn't snap down into place like it probably should, which means I should probably remove it and file on it some more...

:suicide:

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Fang posted:

They leaf much to be desired.

Are you saying they fall short of expectations?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

From a friend:

quote:

lol scope just for practicing long shots: so caliber ill be using would be 5.56 and .308. budget $200 preferred but if theres an awesome scope for a little more i can dig it. range: something reasonable. not going to be shooting anything over 400 yards.

This is going on a flattop AR in 5.56, dunno what he thinks he'll shoot .308 out of but meh. I'm thinking Bushnell or Nikon in that range but I own zero scopes.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

So...without being a petulant little "me me me" bitch, does everyone seriously not care about my "Grandfather has a Winchester 62A and 97 and Stevens 5100 among other cool guns" post? I mean, if so, I'll just lurk back to the shadows, but it seemed like that post got buried, especially since no one answered my spotting scope question.

Also, spotting scopes: which ones are good/what should I look for/etc.?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

So...without being a petulant little "me me me" bitch, does everyone seriously not care about my "Grandfather has a Winchester 62A and 97 and Stevens 5100 among other cool guns" post? I mean, if so, I'll just lurk back to the shadows, but it seemed like that post got buried, especially since no one answered my spotting scope question.

Also, spotting scopes: which ones are good/what should I look for/etc.?

Are you really doing this?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

The Automator posted:

Are you really doing this?

Yes, yes I am. :colbert:

But seriously, the spotting scope thing...that's at least a legitimate question.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

iyaayas01 posted:

<snip> being a petulant little "me me me" bitch <snip>

You don't have pictures. Jerk. :shobon:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

walrusman posted:

You don't have pictures. Jerk. :shobon:

Hey, I asked for help getting pictures off of a non-smart phone...so I've got crappy cell phone pics at least.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Hey, I asked for help getting pictures off of a non-smart phone...so I've got crappy cell phone pics at least.

What kind of phone? Does it have a card slot? Give us some info and we may help you retrieve your 640x480 works of art.

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

I am the Naked King of Shoreditch, AND I AM NOT AFRAID!

We've just found out that we've been accepted to a film festival in America, so we're suddenly gonna be around the Cape Cod area in August. We've decided to throw in some time for an impromptu holiday as well - do any kind TFR goons fancy taking some Brits to the range around then? I haven't shot anything more interesting than a double-barrelled shotgun since I farted around in the Marines cadets, and my missus has always wanted to try shooting. I'm sure the director and producer would fancy it as well - if nothing else, think of it as educational. You'll be ensuring that any future films they make are free of the more egregious firearms errors, at least.

Are there even any TFR folks in Massachusetts for that matter?

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Thanks! It's called The Drummond Will. It's a Hot Fuzz/Withnail & I kind of thing.

hairysammoth fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 15, 2010

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hairysammoth posted:

We've just found out that we've been accepted to a film festival in America, so we're suddenly gonna be around the Cape Cod area in August. We've decided to throw in some time for an impromptu holiday as well - do any kind TFR goons fancy taking some Brits to the range around then? I haven't shot anything more interesting than a double-barrelled shotgun since I farted around in the Marines cadets, and my missus has always wanted to try shooting. I'm sure the director and producer would fancy it as well - if nothing else, think of it as educational. You'll be ensuring that any future films they make are free of the more egregious firearms errors, at least.

Congrats! With what film if I may ask?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

hairysammoth posted:

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Thanks! It's called The Drummond Will. It's a Hot Fuzz/Withnail & I kind of thing.

Us NH goons, with a few Mass goons, are hoping to get a shoot together for some weekend in August, probably the first or second weekend. If you're around the weekend we do it, I'm sure the other guys would be more than happy to have you join us. Keep an eye on the NH meet thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973237

If the weekend of the meet and your weekend in the area don't coincide, there are a few of us in the area, so I think you'll have some sort of luck in getting a chance to shoot something. If you want to drop a post in the NH thread about your availability and desire to go shoot some crap, I think that would be a good idea.

Also, from a fellow filmmaker, congrats on making it into a film festival!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

hairysammoth posted:

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

One of you bastards better help this man out.

Hairysammoth, I swore if I ever met you that I would buy you a beer. If you should get lost and find yourself in northern Michigan, it shall be done.

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

Detective Thompson posted:

Niceness

infrared35 posted:

Further niceness

See, this is why I lurk TFR. You guys are proper gents. I wish I could pretend to be all nonchalant and worldly wise about the film, but, truth be told, I'm really loving excited. I missed out on going to our showing at Cannes, but I'm fecked if I'm missing this one. It's a pretty wee festival, but it's our first official invite. Even better, one of last year's Woods Hole invitees was The Cove, which went on to win an Oscar. So, y'know, I'm pretty confident that the Best Picture Academy Award is just about in the bag at this point.

Happily, that NH meet may be absolutely great timing - we're probably gonna be around for the first 16 days of August. I'll move over to the other thread then!

//edit: Oh, and if anyone is around Woods Hole between from the 31st of July and the 7th of August, swing by!

hairysammoth fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 15, 2010

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

If you make it down to the Washington DC area, there are literally a million TFR folks who would receive undue pleasure in letting Brits handle non-deactivated guns (over here we call them "activated guns").

Just do be sure to come clothed. Americans are a bit leery of nudity and monarchs to begin with, but a naked, British King would probably be lynched upon leaving the airport terminal. :ohdear:

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

If you make it down to the Washington, DC area, make sure to stop by Philly first. Hell, just do an eastern seaboard TFR crawl from Bastan to VA and you'll have trouble getting the smell of cordite and sweet, sweet Soviet surplus out of your nose.

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

Uncle Caveman posted:

If you make it down to the Washington DC area, there are literally a million TFR folks who would receive undue pleasure in letting Brits handle non-deactivated guns (over here we call them "activated guns").

Just do be sure to come clothed. Americans are a bit leery of nudity and monarchs to begin with, but a naked, British King would probably be lynched upon leaving the airport terminal. :ohdear:

Heh, took me a while to remember what the hell you were talking about there. God, that feels like a long time ago...

We'd love to do the Washington/Philly thing, but with only two weeks (of which one is technically work) I think we're going to have to rationalise what we can fit in. We intend to come back with a few months to spare and do things properly in the not-too-distant future anyway, so hopefully it won't be too long. It turns out that the USA is quite big; all the more reason to come back occasionally...

\/\/\/\/\/\/

I know; I can't believe it's been six years. The avatar is like white noise to me now...

No time to rest on past laurels, though. I need a new nudity/al-fresco cooking/major political incident to reinvigorate the magic. Perhaps I should have a drastically naked guerilla picnic in the middle of the opening ceremony of the Olympics?

hairysammoth fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 15, 2010

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

hairysammoth posted:

Heh, took me a while to remember what the hell you were talking about there. God, that feels like a long time ago...

"Oh, that? Yeah, I totally forgot that I'm an Internet legend even though I have a handy avatar and custom title to remind me about it every time I post."

:colbert:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Uncle Caveman posted:

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

Naramyth posted:

FTFY

Too right; and I don't deal very well with the Homeland Security guys at the airport. Last time I flew into JFK the guy at immigration freaked me out so much that when he asked me what I did for a living I panicked, forgot, and ended up telling him I was a student. I hadn't been a student for seven years at that point. It was my honeymoon, too, so I very nearly screwed the pooch completely on that one.