Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

So, it turns out i will have to move back home to CT from Oregon in order to continue my education. How should I go about moving my guns? Should I fly them all home with me or is there a way I can mail them without having to go through an FFL? Can I mail them to myself legally before I actually move?

edit:

CT also requires a pistol permit and i own a bunch of handguns. how do i go about getting them into the state?

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Kommienzuspadt posted:

So, it turns out i will have to move back home to CT from Oregon in order to continue my education. How should I go about moving my guns? Should I fly them all home with me or is there a way I can mail them without having to go through an FFL? Can I mail them to myself legally before I actually move?

edit:

CT also requires a pistol permit and i own a bunch of handguns. how do i go about getting them into the state?

You can mail them to yourself. No FFL involved. When you get back you will probably have to go through the process of registering each handgun, but I am not familiar with CT law.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Do any companies out there make railzzz for a Thompson?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Set yourself on fire.

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

Propagandalf posted:

Dan Wesson .22 for $450, worth it or not? 6 shots, blued, wood grips, half lug. I feel the urge to start a .22 revolver collection. It definitely isn't as nice as the 617, but I like the feel.

IMO no.

Dan Wesson doesnt enjoy the price premium that the S&W or Colts get.

For what its worth

I balked on a Dan Wesson set (.357 Mag) with 4/6/8 Barrel set @ $f400 (96%+ finish) 1 year ago. Original boxes, etc etc. I'm not trying to steer you away, but I think for the price and lack of BBL combos, there might be better deals out there.

FWIW, I've seen model 17's (not pre-17's or special models) in the S&W go for similar prices. If the price is right for you, by all means, grab it. If this were me, I'd still be shopping. Its not a _bad_ price, but I feel that you could do better. If they had multiple barrels and cylinders with the deal, my attitude could change.

Re-reading this as my pig smokes (drat the TFR derail about home-smoked bacon), gently caress no, $450 is out of the ballpark. That poo poo better be in shrink-wrap and have the full set of accessories for that price.

don't feel like posting twice:

Pitch posted:

Yeah TFR would never do anything tasteless and alienating the one time a person who had accomplished something noteworthy outside of SA bought an account in order to join a discussion of their work.

I found the thread, and holy poo poo..... if you have half the afternoon to waste, archives are totally worth it. I'm only on page 25/45 and the and are something to behold.

edit: now with linky-goodness.

Cheap Bourbon fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 13, 2010

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Cheap Bourbon posted:

IMO no.

Dan Wesson doesnt enjoy the price premium that the S&W or Colts get.

For what its worth

I balked on a Dan Wesson set (.357 Mag) with 4/6/8 Barrel set @ $f400 (96%+ finish) 1 year ago. Original boxes, etc etc. I'm not trying to steer you away, but I think for the price and lack of BBL combos, there might be better deals out there.

FWIW, I've seen model 17's (not pre-17's or special models) in the S&W go for similar prices. If the price is right for you, by all means, grab it. If this were me, I'd still be shopping. Its not a _bad_ price, but I feel that you could do better. If they had multiple barrels and cylinders with the deal, my attitude could change.

Re-reading this as my pig smokes (drat the TFR derail about home-smoked bacon), gently caress no, $450 is out of the ballpark. That poo poo better be in shrink-wrap and have the full set of accessories for that price.

Word, thanks. Doesn't even come with a box, but it has hi-vis sights. Gunbroker wasn't terribly helpful, but I forgot to search a few months back before I asked the question.

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

Propagandalf posted:

Word, thanks. Doesn't even come with a box, but it has hi-vis sights. Gunbroker wasn't terribly helpful, but I forgot to search a few months back before I asked the question.

The same dealer (local boy, I like him) even considered my offer of $600 for both sets of D/W in .357. One with the 4/6/8 combo barrels and the 2nd with a 2 1/2" 10" bbl length.

That would be 2 guns with 5 bbl combos for $600/cash (plus tax) so I know sure as poo poo, there are better deals. Now, the only reason sir-Dipshit balked on the deal was that I felt I had to do more research instead of the impulse buy.....

1 year later, hindsight being 20/20, and poo poo...I should have 2 more revolvers with the snazzy insta-change bbls in just about any combo I wanted.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Oh, pretty, pretty, Blue Bongo!
Bongo-Bongo Blue!! Yah!

Cheap Bourbon posted:

<snip>
Re-reading this as my pig smokes ...

don't feel like posting twice:

I found the thread, and holy poo poo..... if you have half the afternoon to waste, archives are totally worth it. I'm only on page 25/45 and the and are something to behold.

edit: now with linky-goodness.

Your pig is too young to smoke!

Also, yessssss. The Unintended Consequences thread is right up there with the Elmer Keith read through.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

That thread turned me into the bitter, angry poster I am today.

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

Pitch posted:

That thread turned me into the bitter, angry poster I am today.

Holy loving poo poo..

page 28 of therefore referenced thread....post #11...Thats about all the spoiler you need....

Any more is just icing on the cake, much like the AI thread where the dude leases a nissan (worth $25k) for $45k wondering where he got ripped off (and thats just within the last year). Lurking w/o archives is so not worth it.....

And dont get me sidetracked with the Supica and Nahas 3rd edition to lay those numbers to waste.....

edit: and, no the pig has been in my freezer for over a year, that in pig-years means smokey franken-Penzeys-spiced slow smoked BBQ/TFR comedy goldmine goodness for at least a week. What can I say, except, "Today I didn't have to use my AK, I got to say, it was a good day"

edit: and shower-tits was good too... too bad she's full of crazy....

yet-another-fake-edit: where's the thread about the 2 quarts crazy in the 1 quart cup Goon-meet with our hero?

Cheap Bourbon fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 13, 2010

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Oh, pretty, pretty, Blue Bongo!
Bongo-Bongo Blue!! Yah!

Counterpoint-- mama cooked up a breakfast with no hog.

I guess it doesn't say she didn't smoke any pig. Ice Cube is (was) probably for smoking pigs in any case.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Detective Thompson posted:

Set yourself on fire.

Hehehehe, I hit a sore spot

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Schiavona posted:

Can someone explain to me why I can purchase a CZ-83 in Massachusetts, but not a CZ-82? Is due to the wierd C&R status of the 82?

More likely than anything, considering it's MA, it's because the CZ-82 is a ZOMG MILITARY GUN and the CZ-83 is the commercial model.

No, it doesn't have to make sense. Best to just go to sleep.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Beretta 90 Two?

Ive been kicking around the idea of getting a P99 for a while, but now that I've got some cash to actually do it, I'm beginning to wonder if it's what I really want. So any suggestions? Looking for a 9mm, full size pistol.

I have a FN9 that I love, so I feel like the 90 two would be similar, and thus I'd like it as much or more, but I like the internal striker and sleek looks of my PPS, and therefore also think I'd like a P99 as much or more...so...there, help me decide guys.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Hehehehe, I hit a sore spot

You are truly a master of the dark arts of comedic trolling.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ok, I've been looking at getting involved with IPSC, and one interesting thing I've noticed is in production class (no SAO) you are to start with a chambered round and the hammer (if there is one) DOWN.

On Glocks and guns with decockers, this is fine, but what about DA/SAs like the CZ Shadow that has no decocker? Does this mean they expect you to do a trigger squeeze + pinch hammer between thumb and forefinger to lower it? Seems somewhat unsafe.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Question about TFR, did't we used to have a levergun megathread somewhere? Or did it dissapear into the depths of the archives?

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

OWLS! posted:

Question about TFR, did't we used to have a levergun megathread somewhere? Or did it dissapear into the depths of the archives?

I believe we did iirc.

But perhaps we'll never know...

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

Looking to take my Glock 23 with me on a vacation, possibly to do some (introductory) shooting with a buddy of mine in Texas. The trip is more than six months out, so I'm already looking into the rules and regulations about checking the gun with the airline.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=129254

I'm looking at this safe/case to carry it in, with a spare mag and a 50-round box of ammo, custom cutouts in foam.

1) Will it all fit?
1a) If not, what else should I look at?
2) Does anyone know how well made that particular safe is, or have any other suggestions?

I want every T crossed and I dotted, so any tips would also be highly appreciated.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

That should work. You don't need to cut the foam, it'll just smoosh down around the gun when you close the lid.

Namaste
May 5, 2007

Craptacular posted:

That should work. You don't need to cut the foam, it'll just smoosh down around the gun when you close the lid.

The only reason I wanna custom do the foam is so it'll completely hold the box of ammo and gun/mags.TSA/FAA/the airlines I'm looking at to/from doesn't mind if you keep the ammo in the same locked container with the gun as long as it's in the box and not in the mags.

I hope that makes sense.

I'll order it well before, so if I can't secure the ammo in it, I can always just buy some when I get there.

Thank God Texas likes my CCW permit.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Namaste posted:

The only reason I wanna custom do the foam is so it'll completely hold the box of ammo and gun/mags.TSA/FAA/the airlines I'm looking at to/from doesn't mind if you keep the ammo in the same locked container with the gun as long as it's in the box and not in the mags.

Airlines are pretty specific about the ammo being in cartridgeholders or boxes with plastic/foam inserts, so WWB 100-packs or bulk-pack .22 would be a no-go. Oddly enough, a magazine does not count as a cartridgeholder.

Namaste
May 5, 2007

thermobollocks posted:

Airlines are pretty specific about the ammo being in cartridgeholders or boxes with plastic/foam inserts, so WWB 100-packs or bulk-pack .22 would be a no-go. Oddly enough, a magazine does not count as a cartridgeholder.

I was just thinking about a 50-round box of WWB, They say no-go on magazines unless they're in some sort of pouch, which I guess I could do.

Glad I'm sorting it all out now. Thanks for the replies so far.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Just buy some of those cheap holders from Midway or Brownells, or hell, your local gun store. They usually have them with the reloading supplies.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Why not just buy a box of ammo when you get there? Seems like it would be easier than buying a special box/pouch to bring the ammo on the plane.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Detective Thompson posted:

Why not just buy a box of ammo when you get there?

I'd wager you can get ammo in Texas.

Namaste
May 5, 2007

I like turtles posted:

I'd wager you can get ammo in Texas.

Probably what I'll do, yeah.

Ammo transportation just adds another layer to an already complicated process.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

If you are going to be carrying and want a certain self defense ammo for sure might be worth it to order online and have it shipped to his house.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

If you're sure you can trust your friend, last time I checked you were able to overnight a gun to his house as long as you're the only person who will open the package.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Namaste posted:

Looking to take my Glock 23 with me on a vacation, possibly to do some (introductory) shooting with a buddy of mine in Texas. The trip is more than six months out, so I'm already looking into the rules and regulations about checking the gun with the airline.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=129254

I'm looking at this safe/case to carry it in, with a spare mag and a 50-round box of ammo, custom cutouts in foam.

1) Will it all fit?
1a) If not, what else should I look at?
2) Does anyone know how well made that particular safe is, or have any other suggestions?

I want every T crossed and I dotted, so any tips would also be highly appreciated.

Dude, it's a Glock, it's made out of plastic. Put it in your waistband and carry it on. I'm sure the metal detectors won't pick it up. Why does this have to be so hard for some people?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Dogbrisket posted:

Dude, it's a Glock, it's made out of plastic. Put it in your waistband and carry it on. I'm sure the metal detectors won't pick it up. Why does this have to be so hard for some people?

Don't load it with cop-killer armor-piercing hollow-points, though, cuz those things are illegal.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Namaste posted:

You still don't need custom cut-outs. I packed my PPS with both magazines out and two boxes of ammo in a far smaller case than the one you linked to. That foam will squish down very nicely.

Tamgerine
Jul 11, 2006

Fatty Fat Failure!
How is your muffin top, fatty?
Hope those cheetos were worth it.

Speaking of WWB. Is it's 9mm reloadable or should I just toss the cases in the bins at the range?

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Tamgerine posted:

Speaking of WWB. Is it's 9mm reloadable or should I just toss the cases in the bins at the range?

I reload 9mm. Its very reloadable.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Secret Ooze posted:

I reload 9mm. Its very reloadable.

I think he means the Winchester stuff specifically and I don't see why not. It's brass cased and should be boxer primed.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

I was wondering if anyone here had ever used Summit Gun Broker? and how would i go about getting him to send the ffl i use a gun?

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Summit is good business. Call Summit to order the gun you want, call your local FFL to have him fax Summit a copy, Pay Summit, wait to hear from your FFL, pick up your new gun.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

SouthsideSaint posted:

I was wondering if anyone here had ever used Summit Gun Broker? and how would i go about getting him to send the ffl i use a gun?

While I've not bought a gun through them yet, they've quite a good reputation on TFR. I'm not quite sure what you're asking in that second sentence. Do you want to buy a gun from the site and need to send an FFL to Summit? I'd suggest calling first and letting the person that runs the site know you're interested. They'll either want you to fax a copy of whatever FFL you'll be going through, in which case you'll need to bring the fax number to the person who has the FFL and ask them to fax it over. Or Summit might want a copy signed in wet ink, in that case you'll have to have your FFL mail it to them. In either case, Summit's contact info is at the bottom of every page.

ShaiHulud
Dec 31, 2007

Never dealt with Summit, but here's an overview of how to buy a gun online - it's relatively easy:

1) Ask your local FFL if he/she is willing to accept a transfer for you. Find out what they charge (this will vary between $10 and $100 depending on where you live and how cooperative the receiving FFL wants to be). Shop around, and don't be discouraged if a particular FFL tells you to get hosed. Some find it an onerous burden, and others won't accept a transfer if it's something they have in stock.

2) Purchase your shotgun/rifle/handgun/100% receiver online.

3) Have your local FFL fax/email a copy of their license to the seller.

4) F5 tracking website repeatedly until gun arrives, fill out a 4473.

If you hold an 03 C&R license you can have certain firearms shipped directly to your home.

Edit: beaten like my name is Toby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

Kind of a stupid newbie question, but is Hoppe's #9 safe to use on a polymer pistol (M&P to be specific)? Or is CLP or non-chlorinated brake cleaner the way to go here? I just don't want to gently caress up my gun

EDIT: Google search didn't come up with any real consensus on whether or not it's ok.