Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

I'm aware of a PD that recently - two months ago - sold a transferable Stoner S63 for less than $16,000. Like Sten Freak said, some know what their stuff is worth, some don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain von Trapp
Jan 22, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Independence posted:

I agree. This is what I told her. I might have to send her to a class that deals with self defense with legal ramifications.

I'd just look up the statutes for your state and see what they say. Texas is pretty ordinary with regard to this sort of thing; here's the statute, relevant part bolded:

quote:

Sec. 9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON. (a) A person is justified in using deadly force against another:

(1) if the actor [he] would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.31; and

(2) [if a reasonable person in the actor's situation would not have retreated; and

[(3)] when and to the degree the actor [he] reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to protect the actor [himself] against the other’s use or attempted use of unlawful deadly force; or

(B) to prevent the other’s imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery.

(b) The actor’s belief under Subsection (a)(2) that the deadly force was immediately necessary as described by that subdivision is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:

(1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom the deadly force was used:

(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor’s occupied habitation
, vehicle, or place of business or employment;

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

Independence posted:

Baltimore, MD.

Back when I lived up there it was a commonish thing for a "salesman" to be a scout for a burgelry or home invasion ring. It's not like there is any legitmate product that is sold door to door anyway so just never awnser when someone knocks or install on of those flip-up door blocks. I can't remember what they are called, but they function like a door chain, but actualy work.

CmdrRat
Jan 15, 2004
Sucks at Russian Roulette

Is it just me or does the hamster machine gun diagram in this comic look striking familiar?

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/pets_war

foghorn
Oct 8, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

CmdrRat posted:

Is it just me or does the hamster machine gun diagram in this comic look striking familiar?

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/pets_war

WHERE THE gently caress IS MY REPLY ATF?!

Actually, I'm going to be in the ATF HQ building in D.C. Thursday, I might take a detour and see what's up...

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Gewehr 43 posted:

I'm aware of a PD that recently - two months ago - sold a transferable Stoner S63 for less than $16,000. Like Sten Freak said, some know what their stuff is worth, some don't.

wish it was me

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

bunnielab posted:

Back when I lived up there it was a commonish thing for a "salesman" to be a scout for a burgelry or home invasion ring. It's not like there is any legitmate product that is sold door to door anyway so just never awnser when someone knocks or install on of those flip-up door blocks. I can't remember what they are called, but they function like a door chain, but actualy work.

A couple of guys here tried that at my place Saturday. Roof painting, they said. Nothing they had on them or their vehicle indicated as such.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

bunnielab posted:

This happens pretty routinely around here. Just be aware that most of the time when they knock of the door they are checking if you are home, and when there is no answer they figure it is a green light to break in.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Capn Beeb posted:

A couple of guys here tried that at my place Saturday. Roof painting, they said. Nothing they had on them or their vehicle indicated as such.

...roof painting? Maybe I'm spacing out, but what kinda roof is painted?

CmdrRat
Jan 15, 2004
Sucks at Russian Roulette

foghorn posted:

WHERE THE gently caress IS MY REPLY ATF?!

Actually, I'm going to be in the ATF HQ building in D.C. Thursday, I might take a detour and see what's up...

Times like this I wish I was on good footing with a pro-gun congressman

"matters of mammalian firearm operation are critical to the future of the republic drat it!"

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

chairface posted:

...roof painting? Maybe I'm spacing out, but what kinda roof is painted?
Metal sheeting is pretty common on older houses.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Chill_Bebop posted:

This happens pretty routinely around here. Just be aware that most of the time when they knock of the door they are checking if you are home, and when there is no answer they figure it is a green light to break in.

Yeah this happened to me a couple years ago. I was unemployed at the time so I was home in the middle of the morning on a weekday. The doorbell rang and the guy who was there looked a little surprised that someone had answered and mumbled something about if I knew where such-and-such a street was. It seemed a bit strange, to say the least. After I said "no" and shut the door I saw a second guy through my kitchen window who was coming back around the side of my house, I guess he was checking the back. Both jumped in a truck and left. I called the police but nothing came of it.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

My sister-in-law (a stay at home mom) had an "alarm salesman" in an unmarked van knock and try to peddle his [vapor]wares. She didn't think anything of it until a couple of weeks later, when the neighbors on either side were burglarized.

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

bunnielab posted:

One night when I had a couple of friends over last Fall, a woman I've never met walks straight in behind the last guy to show up. Half of us assumed he brought a friend until we asked for an introduction and he looked as befuddled as we did.

Then, she pipes up, "ya'll wanna buy some meat?" Her boyfriend was waiting in a pickup truck in the middle of the street with a truck bed full of raw meat they needed to sell. This was at about 8 PM on a weeknight. She was attractive and well-dressed, which was even stranger.

I assumed she was just casing the house but I never heard anything from the meat people again.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Actual question for you military goons.

I have a client of mine who needs me to ghostwrite a segment in a novel about a guy who lies about his military experience and gets his number pulled.

As a little backgrounder to this, it's non-fiction in the sense that the guy actually did serve, but exaggerated what he did to someone who had also spent some time in either Iraq or Afghanistan.

I'm looking for something that would be a fairly plausible mistake for someone to make that would be sniffed out almost immediately by somebody (i.e., earning a Navy-specific medal and claiming to be in the Air Force, or claiming to have earned a medal or award that is only given to one theater of operations and not the one the guy claimed he was in).

My idea would be a guy claiming to have received the Purple Heart without actually having been wounded, but that's about the extent of my medal knowledge, and it seems like that's a mistake that would be made by precisely zero people who had any military experience whatsoever.

Help a brother out? Alternatively, if you called BS on someone who lied about their service, what tipped you off that they were full of horse poo poo?

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

GroovinPickle posted:

My sister-in-law (a stay at home mom) had an "alarm salesman" in an unmarked van knock and try to peddle his [vapor]wares. She didn't think anything of it until a couple of weeks later, when the neighbors on either side were burglarized.

Thats actually pretty clever.

"Do you currently have an alarm system?"
"Yes."
"Okay, good day then."

then they dont burglerize that house. If no they either pretned to sell one, or not. Either way they come back and burglerize you later.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Neo Mara posted:

Thats actually pretty clever.

"Yes."
"Okay, good day then."

then they dont burglerize that house. If no they either pretned to sell one, or not. Either way they come back and burglerize you later.

I bet people also tell them really, really stupid poo poo too.

"Oh yeah, I been meaning to get an alarm, cuz I'm gone a lot for work! Could you guys leave me a brochure?"

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Neo Mara posted:

"I got an UZI."
"Okay, good day then."

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

AR posted:

One night when I had a couple of friends over last Fall, a woman I've never met walks straight in behind the last guy to show up. Half of us assumed he brought a friend until we asked for an introduction and he looked as befuddled as we did.

Then, she pipes up, "ya'll wanna buy some meat?" Her boyfriend was waiting in a pickup truck in the middle of the street with a truck bed full of raw meat they needed to sell. This was at about 8 PM on a weeknight. She was attractive and well-dressed, which was even stranger.

I assumed she was just casing the house but I never heard anything from the meat people again.

When I lived out in the middle of nowhere, we actually had people pull up in trucks with refrigeration units in the back full of steaks and stuff all the time. Believe it or not, this happens quite a bit in some areas, and it is legit. We used to buy vacuum packed steaks and stuff all the time from these people.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The Automator posted:

When I lived out in the middle of nowhere, we actually had people pull up in trucks with refrigeration units in the back full of steaks and stuff all the time. Believe it or not, this happens quite a bit in some areas, and it is legit. We used to buy vacuum packed steaks and stuff all the time from these people.

My dad claims that at one point he was Peter Piper Pickle Peddler. That's right. A door to door pickle salesman. I need to remember to call him out on this next time I see him.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

A guy knocked on my door a couple months ago selling children's study aids. He had a really thick accent and it turned out later he was from Estonia.

The youngest person in this house is 20.
Ahhh yes, you want to buy for friend?
No thanks.
I can have maybe a drink? (I figure sure, if it'll make him leave.)
Sure, stay here. (He tries to follow me inside, I close the door on him.)

Ah yes, thank you for bottle of water! I can maybe use bathroom?
Nope.

It was totally a case-job, since the products he was selling looked suspiciously like common laminated study guide cards you can get at Office Depot.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
ASK ME ABOUT MY SELF-PUBLISHED WARHAMMER FANFICTION AND MY KNIFE COLLECTION

Years ago, I saw a couple of gun videos that impressed me. One was an old guy who seemed to be a spokesman for Benelli. He pulled all sorts of funky tricks with a benelli to demonstrate its precision, like ejecting a shell and shooting it in mid air, throwing targets, shooting one, reloading and shooting the rest, stuff like that.
The other was of a quick draw shooter. He shot a revolver (looked like an older one, like a single action army or something) at about the same speed I blink.
If you know the videos (or just the sorts of videos) I'm talking about, are either/both legit? Is there trickery?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

There's the old video of that guy shooting balloons and stuff with a SA revolver that insists that it's faster than anything mankind has ever done. It only compares to the speed of light.

IIRC he accomplishes this amazing speed and accuracy with extremely light loads and wax bullets, resulting in virtually no recoil.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

Years ago, I saw a couple of gun videos that impressed me. One was an old guy who seemed to be a spokesman for Benelli. He pulled all sorts of funky tricks with a benelli to demonstrate its precision, like ejecting a shell and shooting it in mid air, throwing targets, shooting one, reloading and shooting the rest, stuff like that.
The other was of a quick draw shooter. He shot a revolver (looked like an older one, like a single action army or something) at about the same speed I blink.
If you know the videos (or just the sorts of videos) I'm talking about, are either/both legit? Is there trickery?

The old guy is Tom Knapp, and he's legit as gently caress. No trickery outside of probably millions of rounds of practice.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Craptacular posted:

Yeah this happened to me a couple years ago. I was unemployed at the time so I was home in the middle of the morning on a weekday. The doorbell rang and the guy who was there looked a little surprised that someone had answered and mumbled something about if I knew where such-and-such a street was. It seemed a bit strange, to say the least. After I said "no" and shut the door I saw a second guy through my kitchen window who was coming back around the side of my house, I guess he was checking the back. Both jumped in a truck and left. I called the police but nothing came of it.

Wow, that's scary. Thanks to everyone I'm going to be even more paranoid than before. Maybe my dad's "Get off my property!" every time he sees someone show up makes more sense beyond him just being an angry old man. Normally when someone knocks on the door I go around a back or side entrance just to catch the person off guard and put myself in control of the situation. I remember one shady situation where someone knocked on the front door, I went around the side. He had a buddy in a car. The guy in the car started frantically waving to the guy at the door. The guy came around, asked if I wanted to sell any scrap metal, and then left when I told him I had nothing for sale.

The only time I ever thought I would have a HD situation was when I was house sitting for my family while they were on vacation. One day I hear something outside and there is a redneck couple poking around. The guy was even drinking a beer. They seemed to be snooping around the front yard so I put my pistol in a IWB holster and went outside the back way to see what was going on. It turned out they were the neighbors and they claimed that my dad had asked them to check on the place and their pets while they were on vacation. This seemed suspicious, since that was my job, so I told them I would be there at all times for the rest of the week and would take care of things. When my family got back I told them about it and my dad confirmed the neighbor's story.

hagrd
Aug 25, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

Tom Knapp and Bob Munden.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

The Automator posted:

That is amazing and my entire world view is changed. I want a meat truck to come to my house.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Illegal Clown posted:

Because people weren't joking when they said they were a space shuttle door gunner. It's a real job.

Looks like the perfect time for this image.

Click here for the full 793x577 image.

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

Warbadger posted:

Looks like the perfect time for this image.

Click here for the full 793x577 image.

That looks like a GI Joe guy staged really close to the lens.

hagrd posted:

Tom Knapp and Bob Munden.

Jerry Miculek is always good for some youtube entertainment, too.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

I was recently home on a day off and heard the doorbell. We live in a friendly neighborhood so I waited for the second ring while I hopped off the couch. I look outside the window above the landing and see a guy in an undershirt and shorts pacing around looking at the windows. We replaced all our doors with steel so a grabbed the G19 and my phone ready to call the police if he went over our fence in the back.

He caught a glimpse of me and briskly walked off.

Call me paranoid but sweat covered undershirt men that aren't your neighbors normally don't have business looking in all your windows.

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon

bunnielab posted:

That is amazing and my entire world view is changed. I want a meat truck to come to my house.

The Meat Truck is a proud rural tradition. My wife and I live in Bumblefuck, MO and last time he visited us he was just trying to liquidate the last of what he had in the truck because his cooling unit had crapped out so for a little over $100 we got a delicious assortment of steaks for dinner every night for like two and half months

I eats my spinach fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 18, 2010

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

I'm not sure if this is casing our house or not, but for a few days straight we had a guy keep calling our house at all times of the day asking about the boat we were selling.

We weren't selling anything, so I'm hoping the guy was just stupid and kept making the same mistake about the number.

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

Professor Awesome posted:

The Meat Truck is a proud rural tradition. My wife and I live in Bumblefuck, MO and last time he visited us he was just trying to liquidate the last of what he had in the truck because his cooling unit had crapped out so for a little over $100 we got a delicious assortment of steaks for dinner every night for like two and half months

For us, it was far from rural - Austin, TX a few miles from downtown. I think they also used the "it's going to go bad if we don't get rid of it" line, and while I know cooking meat pretty much kills anything that would hurt you I'd always imagine it was the last customers who complained or something.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

No home phone, all blinds drawn at all times, except for two: You can see our stove/kitchen trash, and you can see our couch.

I work from home fairly regularly, and have accidentally opened the door with a Saiga 12 in my hands.

Also, I ordered a P7 holster from SOG last night, and had a dream that I was very, very impressed with their shipping because it got here this morning. Then I realized that we were on a mountain, and that the russians (maybe) were invading. It was also confusing because the US was using russian equipment. I remember thinking to myself "poo poo poo poo poo poo, there's a loving BMP coming towards us... wait, it has.... an American flag on it? That would be a really crappy false flag, they're probably OK."

Also I couldn't find my PSL magazines.

I had a weird night last night.

Fell
Feb 22, 2007

by Cowcaster

bunnielab posted:

It's not like there is any legitmate product that is sold door to door anyway so just never awnser when someone knocks...

Back when I lived in an apartment and we had solicitors all the time I picked up this habit and still practice it now that I have a home out in the country. I look through the peephole to see if it's someone I know and if it's not, I yell, "Can I help you?" through the door. "Would you like to buy [...]?" "No, thank you," I yell back without opening the door. Then I watch them until they leave. This leaves them with no way to force themselves through the door and without seeing a bit of my house. You also don't have to deal with any sales tactics if they are a legitimate salesperson since they're talking to a door.

EDIT FOR ACTUAL QUESTION SEE LOOK AT ME NOT making GBS threads UP THE QUESTION THREAD:
I need to finally break down and get a set of punches, but have no idea what to look for or where to get them (I checked two local hardware stores and neither carried brass punches, and none of the local gun shops have them). Any recommendations?

Fell fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 18, 2010

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Fell posted:

Back when I lived in an apartment and we had solicitors all the time I picked up this habit and still practice it now that I have a home out in the country. I look through the peephole to see if it's someone I know and if it's not, I yell, "Can I help you?" through the door. "Would you like to buy [...]?" "No, thank you," I yell back without opening the door. Then I watch them until they leave. This leaves them with no way to force themselves through the door and without seeing a bit of my house. You also don't have to deal with any sales tactics if they are a legitimate salesperson since they're talking to a door.

EDIT FOR ACTUAL QUESTION SEE LOOK AT ME NOT making GBS threads UP THE QUESTION THREAD:
I need to finally break down and get a set of punches, but have no idea what to look for or where to get them (I checked two local hardware stores and neither carried brass punches, and none of the local gun shops have them). Any recommendations?

Home depot if there's one near you. Otherwise there's about a million retailers online that sell them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I like turtles posted:

all blinds drawn at all times,

That's depressing.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

That's depressing.

My house would be like that too if my fiancée would leave them the hell alone. I don't want people staring into my house as they walk/drive/fly by.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Inspector_71 posted:

That's depressing.

Maybe, but it's Arizona. Light = heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Black Stormy posted:

My house would be like that too if my fiancée would leave them the hell alone. I don't want people staring into my house as they walk/drive/fly by.

Your just paranoid because you do that when you are out for a walk/drive/fly.

Mrs. Naramyth is the same. She likes to keep the blinds closed because shepeople is nosey. But gently caress that, I like natural light.