Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Aren't those shotguns the relabeled Russian ones? (Baikal?) I hear they're not bad at all.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

spankmeister posted:

Aren't those shotguns the relabeled Russian ones? (Baikal?) I hear they're not bad at all.

I want to say EAA rebrands the Baikal ones and that Stoeger is South American, but I could be wrong.
I've heard good things about them, but haven't sprung for one yet.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Remington re-brands Baikal O/Us & SxSs as their SPR (formerly Spartan) line.

Stoeger Condors are a very good entry to the O/U world. I like that they're inexpensive, and that they're not covered in frilly poo poo. The auto-safety and manual eject can be annoying, but for the price I won't complain.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

infrared35 posted:

I take it you don't live anywhere with Schwan's delivery service?

The Schwan man that serviced the area my parents farm is at is no longer allowed out on certain properties after he was caught banging some farmers wife. :quagmire:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Naramyth posted:

The Schwan man that serviced the area my parents farm is at is no longer allowed out on certain properties after he was caught banging some farmers wife. :quagmire:

Our Schwan's Man (Schwanzmann?) is named Buzz and he looks and talks like a Texas Ranger. I won't let him anywhere near my wife.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

infrared35 posted:

Our Schwan's Man (Schwanzmann?) is named Buzz and he looks and talks like a Texas Ranger. I won't let him anywhere near my wife.

:laffo: at Schwanzmann

Please tell me you have a little German and know what that would mean.

It's quite fitting with your reaction to him re: your wife.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Our Schwansmen is Charlie. I dont have any stories about him, but he seems like a really laid back guy though.

Do yours have 'back of the truck' sales in parking lots every Friday? Thats when the gettin is good.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

All of you people in love with "meat from a truck" need to stop eating that Schwann's bullshit (seriously? That crap is TV dinners at 3x the price) and make friends with hunters at your range.

I had to give away something like 50lbs of frozen deer meat when I moved out of my last place, and none of that was shot by me. People who hunt always, ALWAYS have way goddamned more than they know what to do with.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Cyrano4747 posted:

All of you people in love with "meat from a truck" need to stop eating that Schwann's bullshit (seriously? That crap is TV dinners at 3x the price) and make friends with hunters at your range.

I had to give away something like 50lbs of frozen deer meat when I moved out of my last place, and none of that was shot by me. People who hunt always, ALWAYS have way goddamned more than they know what to do with.

Nobody gets my hard earned bambi, thumper, or other little forest friends from my freezer.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I imagine this question comes up a lot, so I'd rather drop it here than make a new thread.

What's a good starter pistol? I have almost zero firearms experience. I'm looking for a good amalgamation of easy to fire, easy to clean and reliable. The best I can tell, all signs point to Glock, but what size and caliber? Or something else entirely? I eventually intend to CCW, but that criteria isn't important initially.

Robot Battalion
May 26, 2001

Used Ruger Mark II - If you want to learn with inexpensive ammo before getting a more defensive gun.

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

blackknight5k posted:

What's the hive mind's opinion on taurus 1911's?

From what I recall, decent action, but easily worn finishes - somebody mentioned not to buy the blued versions because of the finish. I think this was all before the RIA weapons were popular, and those became the go to inexpensive but good 1911s.

SynMoo posted:

I imagine this question comes up a lot, so I'd rather drop it here than make a new thread.

What's a good starter pistol? I have almost zero firearms experience. I'm looking for a good amalgamation of easy to fire, easy to clean and reliable. The best I can tell, all signs point to Glock, but what size and caliber? Or something else entirely? I eventually intend to CCW, but that criteria isn't important initially.

Like he said, a .22 pistol like a Ruger or Buckmark to develop good practices with. Once you have more experience with a weapon like this, you can make a better informed decision about what gun you'd like for CCW (because it won't be a semi-auto .22), and you'll be happier.

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!

Mxlplx posted:

Used Ruger Mark II - If you want to learn with inexpensive ammo before getting a more defensive gun.

Maybe he should have something that isn't a goddamn swiss watch as his first gun.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

If you have to have easy to clean, take almost anything over the Ruger. Not that I don't love the hell out of my MkII, but I wouldn't want it to have been the first thing I owned.

Not having played with a Buckmark, I'd suggest a Neos. Not too expensive, shoots straight, easy to clean, and fun as hell.

Edit: Beaten. :argh:

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Everyone's already well aware of my innate hatred for Ruger MkX .22 pistols, so I'll spare that. I think for the money, Sig P6's are a great option. Glocks are great too though.

SynMoo, I'd recommend taking an NRA safety course at a nearby range and maybe getting some hands-on with various rental pistols before buying one. In the end, everyone's opinion is different and you really should go with what fits you best.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Go with a Buck Mark (two words) or a Neos.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll be starting my courses soon.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Cyrano4747 posted:

:laffo: at Schwanzmann

Please tell me you have a little German and know what that would mean.

It's quite fitting with your reaction to him re: your wife.

Oh, yeah. I took a semester of German in college and before that I had spent many evenings with family friends who were old German immigrants, and we would play epic games of Scrabble. In German.

I currently maintain enough of the language to be a danger to myself and others at work. It's funny; some travelers accuse me of speaking Hochdeutsch while others tell me that I have the German equivalent of a redneck accent.

Secret Ooze posted:

Do yours have 'back of the truck' sales in parking lots every Friday? Thats when the gettin is good.

Not on a regular basis. :(

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

thermobollocks posted:

I want to say EAA rebrands the Baikal ones and that Stoeger is South American, but I could be wrong.
I've heard good things about them, but haven't sprung for one yet.

You're right iirc. I know Stoeger does brazilian stuff.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

You're right iirc. I know Stoeger does brazilian stuff.

Yeah, Stoeger shotguns are made by ER Amantino in Brazil.

The Baikal shotguns are not currently imported by anybody right now, as far as I know.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=217360

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

My wife has been being quite a bitch lately and in my own passive-aggressive way, I think I'll get her back by sneaking a new Brazilian O/U in the house.

poo poo, at the price, I should get a 12 AND a 20 gauge.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

NosmoKing posted:

My wife has been being quite a bitch lately and in my own passive-aggressive way, I think I'll get her back by sneaking a new Brazilian O/U in the house.

Did you tell her about the air rifles yet? :v:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

infrared35 posted:

Why do you think she's being a bitch lately?? :haw:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Gewehr 43 posted:

Everyone's already well aware of my innate hatred for Ruger MkX .22 pistols, so I'll spare that. I think for the money, Sig P6's are a great option. Glocks are great too though.

SynMoo, I'd recommend taking an NRA safety course at a nearby range and maybe getting some hands-on with various rental pistols before buying one. In the end, everyone's opinion is different and you really should go with what fits you best.

He probably shouldn't get a Walther P22 either. Too sophisticated.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

NosmoKing posted:

Let me know how you like it so I don't have to find out myself!

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

thermobollocks posted:

Let me know how you like it so I don't have to find out myself!

I own a Stoegar 12-gauge O/U that I use to break clays into smaller pieces or clays or (as is more often the case) send a blast of #7 shot into thin air slightly to the left or right of a clay. It's a great gun, points well, and the selective ejectors are very handy. My dad used to bring along his 870 when shooting clays, but now just uses my O/U. It should be noted that if you use a Mossberg, the tang safety on the Stoegar will reinforce good habits.

The downside to the gun is that the fit and finish isn't that great. The seam between the buttstock and the buttpad isn't perfect and the polish level on the finish is slightly inconsistent depending on location. The checkering on some examples is of the cheap, shallow variety. The shotgun is mechanically fine, but you may be disappointed if you like your over/unders to look like they cost more than the car you used to drive to the range.

Fang fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 19, 2010

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Fang posted:

I own a Stoegar 12-gauge O/U that I use to break clays into smaller pieces or clays or (as is more often the case) send a blast of #7 shot into thin air slightly to the left or right of a clay. It's a great gun, points well, and the selective ejectors are very handy. My dad used to bring along his 870 when shooting clays, but now just uses my O/U. It should be noted that if you use a Mossberg, the tang safety on the Stoegar will reinforce good habits.

The downside to the gun is that the fit and finish isn't that great. The seam between the buttstock and the buttpad isn't perfect and the polish level on the finish is slightly inconsistent depending on location. The checkering on some examples is of the cheap, shallow variety. The shotgun is mechanically fine, but you may be disappointed if you like your over/unders to look like they cost more than the care you used to drive to the range.

Stoegers cost more than at least one of my cars did. :v: By selective ejectors do you mean the manual variety? I was under the impression that automatic ejectors would be both, so you'd pop out a live shell if you only fired one barrel.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

thermobollocks posted:

Stoegers cost more than at least one of my cars did. :v: By selective ejectors do you mean the manual variety? I was under the impression that automatic ejectors would be both, so you'd pop out a live shell if you only fired one barrel.

I thought selective ejectors meant you just popped out the shell that had been fired. That's what mine does.

Robot Battalion
May 26, 2001

There's nothing wrong with a used Ruger Mark II as a first gun. They are cheap and last a billion years. :colbert:

Buckmarks are sweet too I must admit. Hope you can find one at a good price if you go that way.

Robot Battalion fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 19, 2010

Robot Battalion
May 26, 2001

double post

Nick L
Jun 22, 2004

Great, I'll never see that logo again without thinking...

Anyone know if the BATFE has offered their opinion on this potentially gray area?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Nick L posted:

Anyone know if the BATFE has offered their opinion on this potentially gray area?

Hey neat question :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nick L posted:

I dunno but usually the answer is that what you are suggesting is illegal, it's a grip and a bipod. Being a bipod does not magically undo the fact that it's a grip so if you were to put that on it would have more than one grip and thus make it a rifle.

That was what you were getting at no?

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 19, 2010

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Yeah I don't think that's a grey area at all. The Grip-Pod is both a foregrip and a bipod, not some quantum superposition that could turn out to be either one if and when the cops observe it.

emathey
May 18, 2008

Gewehr 43 posted:

P6s are cool and all*, but at 350$ish before shipping/transfer you're edging into used options of other guns, such as used glocks and what not, top that off with P6 magazines not being exactly plentiful/cheap for ones that aren't pro mags and you might be better off getting something else.

*I own one so I'm not just making GBS threads on P6s.

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

spankmeister posted:

I dunno but usually the answer is that what you are suggesting is illegal, it's a grip and a bipod. Being a bipod does not magically undo the fact that it's a grip so if you were to put that on it would have more than one grip and thus make it a rifle.

That was what you were getting at no?

I assume with the ATF that "If it could be possibly be construed as a violation, it is"

Of course, all that is theoretical, until you get unwanted attention.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Er, "possibly construed" doesn't seem like the right way to think about it. It is a grip. It may also be a bipod, but regardless of this fact it is still a grip and in putting it on a pistol you would be putting a forward grip on a pistol. Even if you swear that, honest, you're only using it as a bipod, you will still be committing a crime.

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

Chantilly Say posted:

Er, "possibly construed" doesn't seem like the right way to think about it. It is a grip. It may also be a bipod, but regardless of this fact it is still a grip and in putting it on a pistol you would be putting a forward grip on a pistol. Even if you swear that, honest, you're only using it as a bipod, you will still be committing a crime.

Yeah, I guess my wording was less than ideal. I was thinking "Well, my shoes require a 14" string, and I just so happen to have a semi-auto rifle"

Crappy-crap, looks like they (ATF) redacted that ruling. Ok, file under "Stupid poo poo heard at...." thread.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

infrared35 posted:

I don't have to say poo poo until they arrive, then they are under the "48 hour rule".

After 48 hours in their normal storage location (in a safe, in a hidden room in this case) you get to do the "that old thing? I've had that FOREVER".

Get wit da shipping...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

NosmoKing posted:

I don't have to say poo poo until they arrive, then they are under the "48 hour rule".

After 48 hours in their normal storage location (in a safe, in a hidden room in this case) you get to do the "that old thing? I've had that FOREVER".

Get wit da shipping...

Attaboy.