Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohhhlethal
Dec 4, 2006

doubleGLOCK

Phrost posted:

Should I buy this:

(G22, .40, $369)

Or this:

(Lo-Point Carbine, 9MM, $249)

No, you shouldn't.

You should be buying from U.S. Gun Specialties and not Show-Me Shooters. At the prices I've seen used G3s, you could have one shipped to US Gun + transfer for the same price (if they don't already have a comparable price)

ohhhlethal fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Captain Log posted:

I've been thinking of something for a little while. A lot of us bitch about being fat and needing to drop some pounds. I know I could slim down. Would TFR participate in some kind of watch and weight TFR edition?

You can't drop those tangos if your winded. :)

I'd be up for it. If I can manage to get a job, then more than likely I'll grab a gym membership. All in the name of...

Inspector_71 posted:

...going loud and dropping pound-os.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Captain Log posted:

I've been thinking of something for a little while. A lot of us bitch about being fat and needing to drop some pounds. I know I could slim down. Would TFR participate in some kind of watch and weight TFR edition?

I won't toxx myself, but I'll participate. I could stand to lose a few % body fat.

foghorn
Oct 8, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

Captain Log posted:

I suppose I could get on board with this.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Captain Log posted:

Losing 50-100lbs certainly wouldn't be bad for me :btroll:

edit- M&P owners: Do your rounds rattle in your mags? Both of mine rattle when fully loaded :(

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 22, 2010

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Ive noticed on my Steyr that depending on how many rounds are in the mag, it will rattle. Fully loaded usually doesnt rattle at all.

Maybe try taking the mag apart and cleaning the inside? I would imagine more serious issues if the follower was getting bound up, but it couldnt hurt, right?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Secret Ooze posted:

Ive noticed on my Steyr that depending on how many rounds are in the mag, it will rattle. Fully loaded usually doesnt rattle at all.

Maybe try taking the mag apart and cleaning the inside? I would imagine more serious issues if the follower was getting bound up, but it couldnt hurt, right?

First thing I tried :(

They're brand new and have had maybe 400rds through them between the two. Pretty much spotless on the inside.

The follower does seem a little oddly shaped, as if it might have been meant for a 9mm instead of .40S&W, but they're engraved .40.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Phrost posted:

Is there a good guide anywhere to using an LLC for purchasing NFA items?

If you have specific questions, Craptacular or myself will likely be able to help you.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

I am down for a weight loss thread. I have gained a good bit of weight this summer since it has been to hot to go hiking.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Gewehr 43 posted:

If you have specific questions, Craptacular or myself will likely be able to help you.

What are the advantages (if any) to using an LLC to purchase NFA items other than getting around the CLEO sign off requirement?

Additional question: When you move/submit a 5320.20, do you have to get CLEO approval from the area you are moving to, or is the CLEO sign off only a requirement when you first purchase the item?

abortionfailure
Jun 29, 2006

perpetuatin the stereotype

Am I the only one who doesn't really see the point in a weight loss thread in TFR? I mean, there is a whole 'nother sub-forum dedicated to the whole not-being fat thing. Discussing the benefits of fitness as related to the use of firearms I could see, but those benefits are a fairly thin (no fangism intended) topic.

Basically what I'm saying is that I come to this forum to read and occasionally discuss firearms. When I want to discuss weight loss, I hit up the forum thats actually there for that.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

abortionfailure posted:

Basically what I'm saying is that I come to this forum to read and occasionally discuss firearms. When I want to discuss weight loss, I hit up the forum thats actually there for that.

Those forums suck. :colbert:

abortionfailure
Jun 29, 2006

:negative:

I...I have nothing...

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Phrost posted:

Is there a good guide anywhere to using an LLC for purchasing NFA items?

Not that I know of. Remember you can also do a trust. Not a lawyer, but here's my opinion on the pros/cons:

Trusts: Seem to me to be a little more complicated than an LLC, because a trust is designed to preserve assets for the beneficiaries. Shooting a gun owned by the trust could be considered as diminishing the value of the gun and therefore the trustee could be held liable by the beneficiary. Also, you'll need someone else to be involved, as the grantor, trustee(s) and beneficiary can't all be the same person.

LLCs: May or may not have an annual state tax. Here in Texas my LLC only has to pay a tax if it makes a profit. Some states have an minimum annual tax due of several hundred dollars, which may make a trust more attractive. Also, typically only one person needs to be involved. I'm the sole member and registered agent for my LLC.

If you choose either an LLC or a trust, it's a good idea to give it a short name in case you ever form 1 anything and have to have it engraved. Some places that do engraving charge by the letter and if the name's too long, it may not fit on the part of the gun that you want engraved. My LLC's name is a 10-letter word followed by a 11-letter word followed by "LLC" so I learned that the hard way.

iyaayas01 posted:

What are the advantages (if any) to using an LLC to purchase NFA items other than getting around the CLEO sign off requirement?

Additional question: When you move/submit a 5320.20, do you have to get CLEO approval from the area you are moving to, or is the CLEO sign off only a requirement when you first purchase the item?

The other big advantage is that multiple people can possess the item, if they are all trustees of the trust or members of the LLC (and authorized by the LLC to possess those firearms).

The CLEO signoff is only required for the initial transfer to a real person. You'll notice that the 5320.20 doesn't have a line for a CLEO signoff. http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-20.pdf

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 22, 2010

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

abortionfailure posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't really see the point in a weight loss thread in TFR? I mean, there is a whole 'nother sub-forum dedicated to the whole not-being fat thing. Discussing the benefits of fitness as related to the use of firearms I could see, but those benefits are a fairly thin (no fangism intended) topic.

I see this forum as a little community that thus far seems interested in dropping some pounds. If you don't dig it but everyone else does don't read it. Being a good gun owner should also mean being healthy enough to use it.

gently caress, GWS has a whole thread dedicated to the regulars just talking about whatever they want.

I don't mean to sound harsh but if we can get our health on we can enjoy more shooting sports. :)

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

abortionfailure posted:

If you don't like derails or wildly off-topic threads, TFR is not the forum for you.

ShaiHulud
Dec 31, 2007

Craptacular posted:

Also, you'll need someone else to be involved, as the grantor, trustee(s) and beneficiary can't all be the same person.

I'm not a lawyer, but the one I pay and the one who set up my trust assures me that I can be a grantor, trustee, beneficiary, and my own grandpa simultaneously.

Phrost or anyone new to NFA stuff: either go the LEO signoff/fingerprint route or sit down with a lawyer that has experience with NFA corporation/trust creation.

wilfoy
Jan 21, 2004

A lawyer is definitely a must when dealing with trusts, but LLC's are simple enough that you should be fine with legalzoom. Just make yourself the sole member/agent and boom you have total control over the LLC and any assets it owns.

abortionfailure
Jun 29, 2006

Craptacular posted:

If you don't like derails or wildly off-topic threads, TFR is not the forum for you.

Too true. Good luck losing weight, fatties!
im currently losing weight myself, so ill contribute what i can to this horribly conceived thread

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

iyaayas01 posted:

Moving out of state gets a little quirky w/NFA registered to an LLC. I need to think about it a bit because I'm dead tired at the moment, but I'm not sure what the process is - or if there even is one - for moving an entire LLC to another state. As LLC's are usually state-level entities, moving it to another state may not be possible depending on the destination state's laws.

In that case, you'd have to start a new LLC in the new state then transfer your guns to your new LLC through a C3 in the new state.

I could be wrong. I'll think about this tomorrow and get back to it.

Cpt. Murphey
Mar 12, 2007
Wait, titles can have text in them? Well I'll be...

charliebravo77 posted:

edit- M&P owners: Do your rounds rattle in your mags? Both of mine rattle when fully loaded :(

Mine don't rattle at all. (M&P compact in 9mm)

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Gewehr 43 posted:

Moving out of state gets a little quirky w/NFA registered to an LLC. I need to think about it a bit because I'm dead tired at the moment, but I'm not sure what the process is - or if there even is one - for moving an entire LLC to another state. As LLC's are usually state-level entities, moving it to another state may not be possible depending on the destination state's laws.

In that case, you'd have to start a new LLC in the new state then transfer your guns to your new LLC through a C3 in the new state.

Okay, so it looks like since I'm going to be moving around quite a bit for the foreseeable future it'd be best to just go the CLEO/fingerprints route. Thanks for reading my mind, by the way, as far as transferring NFA items owned by a LLC to another state. That was going to be my next question. I was actually going to probably forgo any NFA goodness because of the whole Air Force/move every 3-4 years thing, but this 14'' 870 is calling out to me.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Gewehr 43 posted:

I've heard there's a way to move an LLC so it's registered under a different state, but it'd probably be something you'd want to get a lawyer involved in so it's done right. There'd also be nothing preventing you from hiring someone to be the LLC's registered agent in state #1 but possessing the LLC's assets in state #2. Lots of corporations do this, register and have a registered agent in Delaware or some place but conduct all/most of their business and possess assets elsewhere.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

I was actually going to probably forgo any NFA goodness because of the whole Air Force/move every 3-4 years thing, but this 14" 870 is calling out to me.

I think I've said this before but my only title II purchase that I wouldn't spend the money on if I had to do it again would be my 12" 870. A 14" 870 doesn't even seem to me like it would even really be noticeably different than an 18".

Captain von Trapp
Jan 22, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Craptacular posted:

I think I've said this before but my only title II purchase that I wouldn't spend the money on if I had to do it again would be my 12" 870. A 14" 870 doesn't even seem to me like it would even really be noticeably different than an 18".

Can you re-shorten an SBS?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

If you mean can you put a shorter barrel on it than when it was originally registered, then yes. The barrel length on the form 1 or form 4 isn't a legal limitation, it's just for identification purposes. The ATF requests that if it's a permanent change that you send them a letter notifying them.

abortionfailure
Jun 29, 2006

I think I asked this years ago, and never got a reply.

Whats the legality of importing chinese made parts from canada? I have a crazy hankering to build a retarded tokarev pistol, and I like the idea of not modifying the rarer russian parts. I figure its pretty much verboten to import a frame, but I was curious about all the other bits.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

wilfoy posted:

My aforementioned carbine is a winchester, so is there any particular extractor I should order from Numrich's?

Not really. Carbine extractors were carbine extractors. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that part was marked by manufacturer.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

I see this forum as a little community that thus far seems interested in dropping some pounds. If you don't dig it but everyone else does don't read it. Being a good gun owner should also mean being healthy enough to use it.

Yeah, there's something about the TFR community that is just better than most other forums. I really enjoyed our recent car thread, much more than I've enjoyed any thread in AI. AI is full of snobby weirdos. I'm all for a TFR-centric W&W thread.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

iyaayas01 posted:

Okay, so it looks like since I'm going to be moving around quite a bit for the foreseeable future it'd be best to just go the CLEO/fingerprints route. Thanks for reading my mind, by the way, as far as transferring NFA items owned by a LLC to another state. That was going to be my next question. I was actually going to probably forgo any NFA goodness because of the whole Air Force/move every 3-4 years thing, but this 14'' 870 is calling out to me.

If your CLEO will sign it's my opinion this is the way to go. You don't have to worry about filing taxes or paying a yearly corporation fee or any other potential state bs. Personally I'm leery of non-lawyer-generated Trusts for the purpose of NFA too but plenty of people have gone the Quicken route. Will these Trusts hold up if the ATF decides to somehow challenge them? Dunno. Anyway fingerprints are easy and often free, but worse case you're paying an extra ~$40 for passport photos and fingerprints, a drop in the bucket in the big picture. LLC and Trusts are great if your CLEO won't sign or you've got a business already anyway (I'm assuming FFL01s transfer NFA stuff to their corp? Not sure).

Also on the post-transfer move document: If you're not sure where you're going to be living prior to getting to your destination you can put an address where you think may be - maybe an apartment you're considering or a friend's house or whatever. It's not like the ATF is going to check out the address or see if you're staying there with your stuff and after you arrive at your new state your obligation to report to the ATF is done, though they appreciate intrastate move letters but they're not required.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Sten Freak posted:

LLC and Trusts are great if your CLEO won't sign or you've got a business already anyway

I'd make a separate LLC for your guns even if you already have an LLC set up for a business. No reason to commingle stuff that has no relation to each other. What if you later want to sell your business? Then you'll most likely want to transfer the guns to another LLC anyway. What if your business gets sued? Then since your guns are business assets then they could be forfeit if the court case doesn't go your way. A few hundred bucks to start another LLC is a worthwhile expenditure IMO.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Sten Freak posted:

If your CLEO will sign it's my opinion this is the way to go.

Alaska. :smug:

Craptin Mypants
Sep 6, 2009

I want to get B&C stock from Stocky's http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-110/Bell-Carlson-tactical-700/Detail

I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 and was wondering which stock to get. I know its the BDL short action, but what does the DBM and BBC stand for in the options for the type of stock at the bottom of the page where you add to cart. I think DBM stands for detachable bottom metal, but not sure and I have no clue on BBC.

If it helps I want to get the Wyatt's detachable mag assembly eventually, but not soon, and dont want to have to get a new stock at that point.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Would anybody be up for a "let's read Bill Jordan" thread? I just finished "No second place winners" which is great but it's only 100 pages long and about half of it already seems to have come up in the Charles Askins thread where he quoted heavily from Jordan. :(

abortionfailure
Jun 29, 2006

infrared35 posted:

Would anybody be up for a "let's read Bill Jordan" thread? I just finished "No second place winners" which is great but it's only 100 pages long and about half of it already seems to have come up in the Charles Askins thread where he quoted heavily from Jordan. :(

I'm always up for reading about old-timey six gunners. Always.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

infrared35 posted:

I'm always up for an IR35 sixgunners thread!

Especially since that Ed McGivern thread petered out :|

ShaiHulud
Dec 31, 2007

Craptin Mypants posted:

I think DBM stands for detachable bottom metal

Correct

quote:

I have no clue on BBC

Bull barrel channel.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

charliebravo77 posted:

Losing 50-100lbs certainly wouldn't be bad for me :btroll:

Mine might make a little bit of noise if I shake the poo poo out of them, but otherwise no. Mine's a full-size .40

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Infrared/Automator, I know you've both mentioned that you dislike the P2000, can you give more details as to why? I was thinking of picking one up as I like my USP and the P2000 seems to have a more comfortable grip. I'd buy or install a LEM trigger on it, and I know Infrared said the LEM on the P2000 isn't as good as on the USP, but are there other complaints?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

This question popped into my head today when I should've been working.

I know we always use ear and eye protection when we go to the range, but do military folks use ear and eye protection while out in the field (if that's even the right term)? If so, what kind?