Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LavistaSays
Dec 25, 2005

Defense Technology makes one of the superior rated defense sprays currently available. they have several chemical formulas varying in effectiveness, each available in a number of sizes, and spray patterns. I don't see any reason not to pick the strongest formula, 1.3%

http://www.defense-technology.com/aerosol.aspx

I would probably get either of these: MK-6 1.3% stream or MK-6 1.3% Cone

however make sure you purchase one or several inert training cannisters so she can familiarize herself with aiming, the spray pattern, and back-blast. Here

Figure that you will want 2 cannisters of the inert stuff so that she can practice spraying you in the face, a live agent cannister so that she can experience back-spray from the live agent (seriously make sure she does this, it could gently caress her poo poo up in a real encounter), and one or more live cannisters for actual duty/carry use

E: My links were all retarded

LavistaSays fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Sabre Red and Vexor are also good brands of OC spray. Look at the different patterns - stream, conical mist, foam, etc. and think about what would be the best for the most likely circumstances encountered. And definitely get some inert stuff to practice with; just make sure it's the same pattern as the live stuff you get.

Never Scroll
Aug 14, 2008

Spray is the best for distance. Make sure she practices a sidestep after spraying to avoid the blind charge from the bad guy afterwards.

I can vouch for regular strength Defense Tech sending me into 25 minutes of pure suck so that is what I have. Everyone I know says Fox Labs is the strongest though.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

The conical mist is nice because it requires less precision as far as aiming goes. The downside is that there's a good chance of cross-contamination depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Optimal deployment distance is about four to six feet, and they say the max range on a typical 1-ounce can with a mist pattern is about fifteen feet. A similar-sized can with a stream pattern will easily go fifteen feet, but will require more precision as far as aim goes. But the stream isn't as affected by the wind direction, so there's less chance of self-contaminating.

Gel is close to stream, and foam lies between stream and mist, in my experience, as far as effective distances, cross-contamination risks, and pattern sizes.

And yeah, spray should be considered a distractionary device. Never count on anyone being debilitated by the effects. Use the momentary distraction to get away. Not to say that you shouldn't aim carefully and give them a good blast if the situation calls for it. Just don't assume they'll curl up into the fetal position while you stroll away in relief.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 25, 2010

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Do you people draw up any kind of paperwork when you sell a gun to another in-state private party?

I was thinking something simple like a simple bill of sale with names, price, signatures, and a stipulation that the sale is as-is.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

GroovinPickle posted:

Do you people draw up any kind of paperwork when you sell a gun to another in-state private party?

I was thinking something simple like a simple bill of sale with names, price, signatures, and a stipulation that the sale is as-is.

No but it would be prudent to ask for a copy of their DL.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

I either get a photocopy of their DL or draw up a bill of sale. Basically just something so that if I ever need to explain to a cop where gun with SN XXXXXX went I can say "I sold it to this dude," assuming it's not a C&R that I need to keep more detailed records of.

Really I just do that with guns that I have a 4473 tying me to, though. It's more of a CYA than anything else.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

So, I'm about to buy a new carry piece and I'm on the fence about getting night sights on it. I mean, if it's dark enough that I can't see my sights, how am I supposed to identify my target?

I've done some light testing and it seems like I can point shoot at self-defense distances. So sights in general feel like tools for practice?

Am I dumb?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

kuffs posted:

So, I'm about to buy a new carry piece and I'm on the fence about getting night sights on it. I mean, if it's dark enough that I can't see my sights, how am I supposed to identify my target?

I've done some light testing and it seems like I can point shoot at self-defense distances. So sights in general feel like tools for practice?

Am I dumb?

I can appreciate the logic of the inability to see sights meaning difficulty identifying a target, but frankly you can pretty positively identify a dude trying to kill you in low light situations. A good indicator is "he is trying to kill you."

I think nightsights are an invaluable purchase for a carry gun if only because it's better to have and not need than need and not have -- the basic principle guiding carry in the first place. I don't get to carry, of course, so it's moot for me. I think, however, that pointshooting is a useful skill to have and practice, but it doesn't beat properly going down the sights at a target, especially when you get back to your initial concern of making sure bullets hit the right shadowy evil figure threatening to rape your peehole with a power drill and broadcast it on Youtube.

In brief: buy the nightsights, imho. You're certainly not dumb, though.

DakianDelomast
Mar 5, 2003

kuffs posted:

Am I dumb?

To add to Gtab, target ID is more critical in home defense where it is questionable if you're targeting a family member. Which is why it is recommended your HD gun have a flashlight. If you're carrying concealed you are less concerned with shooting Uncle Jerry and more worried about identifying a threat. Body posturing, whether or not they're armed, etc. You're not dumb but your scenerios are a little backwards.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Gtab posted:

I can appreciate the logic of the inability to see sights meaning difficulty identifying a target, but frankly you can pretty positively identify a dude trying to kill you in low light situations. A good indicator is "he is trying to kill you."

DakianDelomast posted:

You're not dumb but your scenarios are a little backwards.

Hurf, you're right. Got HD and carry roles jumbled. I also live by myself, so target ID is as simple as "hey it's not me". Night sights it is!

my benjamins!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

kuffs posted:

Hurf, you're right. Got HD and carry roles jumbled. I also live by myself, so target ID is as simple as "hey it's not me". Night sights it is!

What if it is a mirror? BAD LUCK.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

priznat posted:

What if it is a mirror? BAD LUCK.

My plan does not account for evil twins either!

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

<wakes up>
Oh it's okay, it's just me.
<goes back to sleep>

Depending on the gun night sights come as factory options, or can be had for (I think) around $70. It's not that much more expensive and it's pretty nice to have. I like when I'm camping and the ten-year-old Trijicons from my 226 cast a shadow in my tent.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

IMO a good carry flashlight is more important than night sights but they are a good investment.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

GroovinPickle posted:

[quote="http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2005/11/firearms-bill-of-sale.html
"]
Bill of Sale
Transfer of Ownership

For $______ received, I, (seller’s name here), have sold to (buyer's name here)
One (1) ABC Model XYZ firearm description here, Serial # _____________
Any other accessories here

I represent that this ___________ is not stolen. I am the owner of the _______ listed above. If it can be shown now or in the future that this _______ was stolen prior to the date listed below, I will give the buyer a full refund for return of the _______ and all accessories listed above.

Sold as is.
No warranty is expressed or implied by the Seller.
Seller assumes no responsibility after transfer of ownership has taken place.
Seller assumes no responsibility of any/all aftermarket parts added to the ___________.
Seller assumes no responsibility of any/all original equipment parts on the ________.
Buyer assumes all responsibility when transfer of ownership has taken place.

Seller specifically disclaims any warranties of merchantability or of fitness for a particular purpose of this ________ and disclaims all responsibility for consequential and/or incidental damages or any other losses arising from the use of said _________.

Buyer agrees to the terms and conditions set forth and listed on this document, and acknowledges that he has received a true copy of this Bill of Sale/Transfer of Ownership and certifies that he is 21 years of age or older. Buyer acknowledges and understands that he will read the Owner’s Manual. Buyer agrees that it will be his responsibility when transfer of ownership has taken place to adjust, check, and follow all instructions as outlined in the Owner’s Manual. Buyer attests that he is able to legally buy and possess firearms.

Buyer: Name Here
Seller: Name Here

Date:_________________________

Buyer: _____________________________
Address:____________________________
Phone #: ____________________________
Seller: ______________________________
Address: ____________________________
Phone #: ____________________________
[/quote]
http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2005/11/firearms-bill-of-sale.html

iioshius
Apr 22, 2005

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/08/26/chiappa-rhino-357-mag-revolver-finally-shipping/

Have you guys ever heard of this thing before? According to another post on that site it was designed by the same person who designed the Mateba, and I guess you can (in theory) actually buy one of these now.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

They are on gunbroker already http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=186850653

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

I want a Rhino but I want someone else to be the guinea pig.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

iioshius posted:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/08/26/chiappa-rhino-357-mag-revolver-finally-shipping/

Have you guys ever heard of this thing before? According to another post on that site it was designed by the same person who designed the Mateba, and I guess you can (in theory) actually buy one of these now.

Holding out for the 6in model

pulphero
Sep 22, 2005
I got no powers

iioshius posted:

they are the company that made my exploding Pinkerton. Looks cool but I am not sure if I trust them to make a .357mag

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

pulphero posted:

they are the company that made my exploding Pinkerton. Looks cool but I am not sure if I trust them to make a .357mag

Holy poo poo. Did you wind up getting hurt at all when that happened?

pulphero
Sep 22, 2005
I got no powers

it jarred my had and covered in in led dust but no harm other than that. I sent it in for repair a while back but I haven't heard any thing. but the first 20 or so rounds where fun and surprisingly accurate.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

pulphero posted:

timing off?

pulphero
Sep 22, 2005
I got no powers

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

timing off?

looks like it but there where no issues in the first few cylinders.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Does anyone have any recommendations for cleaning a holosight (this little buttmonkey)? Lens cloth and one of those little puffy brushes? It seems like in dusty environments my reticles sometimes poo poo out on me. Then again, it might be because I own a piece of junk.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Why are AK kits so cheap by comparison to a completed gun? Can you get a get an AK kit shipped directly to you if it does not come with a barrel? Do they require a bunch of specialized tools to assemble?

Hoping I didn't miss this in one of the threads already.

That would explain it. Thanks.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 27, 2010

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Do they require a bunch of specialized tools to assemble?

This. A couple jigs and a 20 ton press.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Why are AK kits so cheap by comparison to a completed gun? Can you get a get an AK kit shipped directly to you if it does not come with a barrel?
You can get every part of an AK shipped to you except for the receiver. Barrels are tricky to import but there's no problem with them being shipped inside the US. The jigs and press are required to turn an AK "flat" (a stamped piece of steel that can be shipped without an FFL) into a functioning receiver.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Well, you still need the be able to press the barrel into the trunnion and rivet the trunnions into place. You might be able to do this without a press, but I'd not want to.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

thermobollocks posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for cleaning a holosight (this little buttmonkey)? Lens cloth and one of those little puffy brushes? It seems like in dusty environments my reticles sometimes poo poo out on me. Then again, it might be because I own a piece of junk.
The same way you'd clean a TV/computer screen really. I don't have any personal use with BSA stuff but I don't think anyone recommends it for competition, sell it and get something from Primary Arms, still cheap but goon-tested/approved.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Totally TWISTED posted:

sell it and get something from Primary Arms, still cheap but goon-tested/approved.

Hahahaha does this actually count for something?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The Automator posted:

Hahahaha does this actually count for something?
If you don't at least partially care for goon opinions on firearm related things then why would you even be posting in TFR? I of course mean 'you' generically and not you = Automator. I know you post here to spread happiness and joy.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Totally TWISTED posted:

If you don't at least partially care for goon opinions on firearm related things then why would you even be posting in TFR? I of course mean 'you' generically and not you = Automator. I know you post here to spread happiness and joy.

There are some people's opinions I trust, but mostly, I come around for pictures and conversation. I like to see the neat stuff people buy

iioshius
Apr 22, 2005

I'm becoming interested in getting an FFL, and I've got a couple of questions.

Is this a realistic goal? I have a full time job already.
Honestly I'm mostly interested in accepting transfers for myself and a few others. I have sort of "long term" goals of opening a decent shop someday (there really isn't one in my city), but for now, I'd probably need to operate out of my home. The internet tells me that is possible, but I've always heard otherwise. Can any of you goon FFL-holders give me some insight? Are the "guides" that are all over the internet actually useful, or should I be looking elsewhere (like the ATF website)?

At the moment, this seems like an awesome idea, but I'm willing to have my (FFL) dreams crushed if this is dumb.

iioshius fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 27, 2010

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

If you've got archives there's a pretty good thread about it from past.

Process is more or less...
- do your homework
- get a commercially or industrially zoned location
- create business w/in state
- get all documents proving zoning and business licensing have been done
- apply for FFL
- wait
- get an interview w/ATF to go over rules, regs, & paperwork
- get your license
- set yourself up as a dealer w/a bunch of different vendors
- be rudely surprised how little margin there is in guns

That's pretty much how the process went for me.

Edit to your edit: You *can* run an FFL out of your home if

- It's zoned in an area where there are "no restrictions on retail sales." So, commercial, industrial, or unzoned.
- You don't mind the ATF actually coming to your home during compliance checks and for the interviews.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

The Automator posted:

There are some people's opinions I trust, but mostly, I come around for pictures and conversation. I like to see the neat stuff people buy

You can trust my information 110%!

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

DakianDelomast posted:

http://www.bobergarms.com/

Boberg XR9
Sorry for being late on the draw been studying for my CCSP tests but does anyone know when these are going to be out?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Bogon posted:

Sorry for being late on the draw been studying for my CCSP tests but does anyone know when these are going to be out?
I kinda regret trying to find out. The only answer Boberg himself seems willing to give is about how the XR9 is the perfect holdout gun for when Obama's brownshirts come for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Totally TWISTED posted:

The same way you'd clean a TV/computer screen really. I don't have any personal use with BSA stuff but I don't think anyone recommends it for competition, sell it and get something from Primary Arms, still cheap but goon-tested/approved.

This is nothing more than a screwing-around sight. I'll eventually snag a Primary Arms or Mueller sight.

What I'm more worried about is the part near the base that projects the reticle. The lens is easy enough.