Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Black Stormy posted:

Hmmm. I may have to take you up on that. I imagine you just drive around until you find one and then open up with reckless abandon.

Thats actually a little more accurate than you would think(a few years ago). On our camps property, we have four or five groups of bears(we feed them year-round and figure how many different 'families' come and eat) roaming around. About three years ago, on the way to one of our bear blinds, my cousin Dave happened upon a big sow on the road.

Shortest bear season he ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Aperture Priority posted:

Sorry to interrupt TFR BearChat™, but I have a question.

I picked up some Winchester Supreme Elite () 124gr.+P 9mm at a Wal*Mart because, well hell, it was cheap for defensive ammo.

Not sure what the is for, but PDX1 is the newest self defense ammo from Winchester and is supposed to be pretty good. Apparently the FBI currently use it, for whatever that's worth.

Edit: Why is 10mm "recommended" for bears? It's not much better than .357 mag.

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 8, 2010

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Ninja Rope posted:

Edit: Why is 10mm "recommended" for bears? It's not much better than .357 mag.

It seems like the only caliber commonly () found in semi-auto pistols that might get the job done. That said, semi-auto only is a stupid criterion for a bear pistol.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

Mainly I am curious if someone duplicated it chambered in something currently, like .22lr, or even one of the cowboy rounds that are making a comeback due to action shooting.

OK, you got me looking. There's a non-firing repro available (probably just one maker), but if you have time/skill/equipment...

http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2010/02/40-caliber-volcanic-rifle-by-charlie.html

http://garagegunsmithing.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=54&jfile=viewtopic.php&f=35&t=255

(Both are the same guy, as is the third link I'm posting next - the two rifle ones dupe, to some extent)

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=3;t=22531

Ninjas have kidnapped President Lincoln. Are you a bad enough dude to make your own gun and rescue him?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Man this thread owns.

Edit: to be honest all this time I thought video games were lying to me about old leverguns loading by twisting the end of the magazine aside and dropping bullets in

Pitch fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 8, 2010

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Pitch posted:

Man this thread owns.

Edit: to be honest all this time I thought video games were lying to me about old leverguns loading by twisting the end of the magazine aside and dropping bullets in

Wait, what? There are actual guns that work like that? I remember seeing that in the 1990s remake of Night of the Living Dead, and having no concept of how that would work. Where's the magazine spring and follower that feeds them into the action when you work the lever?

I'm reading through that thread now, but do you have a specific page it talks about the feeding action?

Edit: Saw the later pics that shows how it works. It's different than the rifle used in Night of the Living Dead. I'll have to watch it again, but I'm pretty sure it was just a small plate that swiveled away from the end of the magazine, not a whole chunk with the follower and spring in it. IMFDB seems to be down right now, or I'd try to find out what it was.

Wa11y fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 8, 2010

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

The brass tab underneath the magazine gets pushed forward, pushing the follower and spring forward with it. Once it's all the way forward you twist the front sideways and a lip holds the spring compressed while you drop ammo into the magazine tube.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Capn Beeb posted:

Check the factory mag tube for dimples. Dimples will impede any rounds being loaded into an extension and are generally stupid dumb butts that have no business in being in a gun

Thanks, Ill see about figuring that out when I get home. I hope there aren't. I love the gun, it was the first 870 I picked up and couldn't stop thinking about until I bought it.

Ygolonac posted:

Ninjas have kidnapped President Lincoln. Are you a bad enough dude to make your own gun and rescue him?

That's about what I came up with too.

The thing that bothers me now is that I saw what appeared to be a working Volcanic at a gunshow about 6 months back. It certainly wasn't that cheap non-functional repro. I knew what it was, but at $500 I figured it had to be something reproduction. The guy didn't know anything about it.

Now I'm wondering if I passed on something that I really shouldn't have

Schigolch
Apr 30, 2008

Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb, make thee?

Detective Thompson posted:

Ugh, what an unbearable pun. I mean, really, did you take any time to paws and think it over, or did you just mash the keyboard at the first thing that clawed it's way out of you brain? I'm sorry, that was just so horribilis I can't even begin to forgive your grizzly mauling of comedy. I think you'd be better off spending some time in a dark cave contemplating how you can come up with some material that's the polar opposite of what you just did. Then maybe you may come up with a real honey of a pun. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm not feeling sow well, I need to hit the kermode.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

emathey posted:

This in and of itself is really stupid. If one chance of something is enough to make you not want to do it, how do you even function in life? The chances of you dying in a car wreck on the way to the woods are vastly higher than the odds of you being attacked by a bear AND having a bear spray malfunction that disables you.

Okay great go buy your pepper spray, I have my gun.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

Thanks, Ill see about figuring that out when I get home. I hope there aren't. I love the gun, it was the first 870 I picked up and couldn't stop thinking about until I bought it.

It's not really a big deal, even if it is dimpled. You can dremel them out easy enough, or pound them out in various ways.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Plasma1010 posted:

Okay great go buy your pepper spray, I have my gun.

I'd suggest you talk to some people who actually work with bears frequently, so that you can hear what you're hearing here from them.

You've seen two or three bears stand up before lumbering off. In your story, you mentioned that you happened across the bears while they were in your campsite (or so I'm led to believe; you mention one or two coming into your camp, and you also mention that you thought the one stood up "because it was near [your] food."

That's great and all, but when one of them decides that it wants to close distance with you in a purposeful manner, it is going to do it faster than you can even imagine. However much time you think you're going to have to react – well, you're not. Having the bears come poking around for your food is a very different situation from bumping into one when it's with a cub or its own food.

I've seen several black bears up close while camping in Northern/Central Ontario, and yes, they'll mostly just lumber away, especially if you yell at them or make a bunch of loud noise. In about 1999, though, I witnessed a bear charge in Algonquin Park (not against me; no one was seriously hurt, though someone was treed for about 5 minutes and cut themselves up pretty badly scrambling up the trunk while the rest of us stood around yelling at the bear and tossing rocks in its general direction). It was all pretty nerve-wracking, even as a spectator. The things cover ground effortlessly and at ridiculous speed. In dense brush, you'd be lucky to have time to work your pump twice. Unless you're carrying the gun in a ready position with it loaded (which you certainly could, though it keeps your hands full and makes for inefficient hiking), you're probably not even going to get a shot off. Even those lumbering, fat-looking bears can move pretty drat quickly when they want to.

I've never used bear spray, but my understanding has always been that it's very easy to deploy under duress. It definitely does work well, and that's why people who have experience in the field recommend its use. The article you were linked to mentions that no one reported being incapacitated by the bear spray, so you don't really need to be too worried about that.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

I like turtles posted:

Sarah Palin reference?

turn in your TFR badge and gun

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Alain Perdrix posted:

I've never used bear spray, but my understanding has always been that it's very easy to deploy under duress. It definitely does work well, and that's why people who have experience in the field recommend its use. The article you were linked to mentions that no one reported being incapacitated by the bear spray, so you don't really need to be too worried about that.

Thanks and I take your post kindly. Ill look into bear spray and I have read the articles. I am still skeptical about wind, rain and thick brush in regards to the spray because I believe it wouldnt work well in the 3 situations. In wind is obvious, in rain, especially hard it would damper the effects I would imagine and in thick brush I could see it just clouding around me too much.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I think bear spray comes in various types like a narrow stream or a cone and not just the "explode in a giant fart cloud blinding the user while the bear sodomizes him" format.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Gun people that are also photo people: Panasonic GF-1? I can get the employee pricing, $675 shipped with the pancake lens.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Okay, I'm doing a small home remodel and I'm turning my front den into a workshop for reloading and working on firearms. since this is still in the planning phase for the next month or so, I have come to ask advice of all of you.

What would you find important to the design of a room such as this? I'm planning on ripping out the carpet and replacing it with tile, putting in a sturdy bench bolted to the wall that will support a vise and reloading setup, and making sure I have adequate lighting.

What else would you make sure to do if you were doing this in your house?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I'd want to have enough power in the room - 1-2 four outlet plugs on each wall. Maybe a ventilation fan, too, in case you want to do something requiring smelly or potentially toxic fumes?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

If you're replacing drywall perhaps something to add security to the room with a steel mesh reinforcement or however they do it. Reinforced door jamb, sold core door, deadbolts, alarm system IR sensor, something to secure the windows..

Possibly not a huge deal if you're not storing firearms in there, but it's something I'm planning on doing to my workshop area.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Perhaps a wet-moppable, light-colored floor so you can easily clean up any errant powder, residues, etc. Oh yeah, maybe a static-dissipative mat so you don't arc and spark in the winter.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Depending on how tolerant the people are in your house, I'd consider noise mitigation if you're going to that level of work. Insulation and proper ventilation are also important.

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

and forget about a wife...

Reloading room in the front den? Of course, my definition of a front den might differ, but any room easily visible to the fairer sex would be a no-go....

(as others have said, plenty of power outlets, flat area for the bench, good lighting, and lessen the distractions, easy cleanup --no carpet--, good airflow if you don't have central air, privacy from the neighbors , no cable TV hookups, etc...) Just a place to relax without distractions. Oh yeah, dorm-fridge/water cooler is a definite plus.... and a comfy chair.....

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Peg boards. Lots and lots of peg boards.

They're great for hanging tools etc on in a way that keeps them out of the way yet neat and organized.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 6, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

I like turtles posted:

Gun people that are also photo people: Panasonic GF-1? I can get the employee pricing, $675 shipped with the pancake lens.

It's a cool little camera and that's obviously a great price. I don't own one but I messed around with one for a few days. I normally really, really prefer an actual viewfinder to using an LCD screen but the GF-1 has hands down the best one I've ever used. It was very sharp and responsive, kinda reminds me of a high-end video camera display. There is also an optional electronic viewfinder that is very nice. And yeah, that lens is the bomb. I'd love to get one as a compact walk-around camera but all my money goes to guns now thanks to you guys <>

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

BitBasher posted:

Okay, I'm doing a small home remodel and I'm turning my front den into a workshop for reloading and working on firearms. since this is still in the planning phase for the next month or so, I have come to ask advice of all of you.

What would you find important to the design of a room such as this? I'm planning on ripping out the carpet and replacing it with tile, putting in a sturdy bench bolted to the wall that will support a vise and reloading setup, and making sure I have adequate lighting.

What else would you make sure to do if you were doing this in your house?

Honestly, put it in the shed or something. Make your den into something that's a little bit more appealing to non-gun people.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Would someone remind me of the Irc adress so i can talk to all you fine folks.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005

Pillbug

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Perhaps a wet-moppable, light-colored floor so you can easily clean up any errant powder, residues, etc. find that loving little tiny safety detent spring, etc oh god where did it go its gotta be here somewhere

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Yeah, I thought of the light color because I just went through a basic metallic cartridge reloading course, and we had poo poo fall on the floor that was nearly impossible to find.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, I thought of the light color because I just went through a basic metallic cartridge reloading course, and we had poo poo fall on the floor that was nearly impossible to find.

Where did you take such a class?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

SouthsideSaint posted:

Would someone remind me of the Irc adress so i can talk to all you fine folks.

irc.synirc.net #thefiringrange

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Since we're talking IRC, is there any way I can join the chat without having to install some kind of IRC client on my computer? I remember a while back I could just join the fun and shoot the poo poo through my browser.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

http://mibbit.com/

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

priznat posted:

If you're replacing drywall perhaps something to add security to the room with a steel mesh reinforcement or however they do it. Reinforced door jamb, sold core door, deadbolts, alarm system IR sensor, something to secure the windows..

Possibly not a huge deal if you're not storing firearms in there, but it's something I'm planning on doing to my workshop area.

I would love to do this, but I'm not replacing drywall so this would add exponentially to the cost of the project. I would love to do it, but drat. My guns get stored in a safe elsewhere in the house.

I like turtles posted:

I'd want to have enough power in the room - 1-2 four outlet plugs on each wall. Maybe a ventilation fan, too, in case you want to do something requiring smelly or potentially toxic fumes?

Good idea, I'll have to check the power situation, I'll definitely want to add outlets or a power strip above desk height.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Perhaps a wet-moppable, light-colored floor so you can easily clean up any errant powder, residues, etc. Oh yeah, maybe a static-dissipative mat so you don't arc and spark in the winter.

Absolutely, I'll definitely go with a light colored tile with as little texture as possible.

thermobollocks posted:

Depending on how tolerant the people are in your house, I'd consider noise mitigation if you're going to that level of work. Insulation and proper ventilation are also important.

I am the people in my house, I live alone and I own my house so this isn't an issue.

Cheap Bourbon posted:

and forget about a wife...

Reloading room in the front den? Of course, my definition of a front den might differ, but any room easily visible to the fairer sex would be a no-go....

(as others have said, plenty of power outlets, flat area for the bench, good lighting, and lessen the distractions, easy cleanup --no carpet--, good airflow if you don't have central air, privacy from the neighbors , no cable TV hookups, etc...) Just a place to relax without distractions. Oh yeah, dorm-fridge/water cooler is a definite plus.... and a comfy chair.....

Ive forgotten about a wife since I broke up with the fiancee. My front den has solid double doors so it's not normally visible from the common area of the house. I do have central air, and the room isn't visible to the neighbors.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Peg boards. Lots and lots of peg boards.

They're great for hanging tools etc on in a way that keeps them out of the way yet neat and organized.

Hell yes, excellent idea. I plan to pegboard the entire wall the desk butts up against.

QuarkMartial posted:

Honestly, put it in the shed or something.

That's actually what started this. I live in Las Vegas. I have no desire to be in 114 degree heat in my garage or a shed loading ammo. It wasn't relevant until recently when I started taking out the Grendel, because holy poo poo is ammo not cheap for that. Also, I live in a HOA and I can't put up a shed, even if I could air condition it.

Thanks for the advice people! Much appreciated!

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

hangedman posted:

Since we're talking IRC, is there any way I can join the chat without having to install some kind of IRC client on my computer? I remember a while back I could just join the fun and shoot the poo poo through my browser.
This info is in the first post of the Pennsylvania shooting thread if you ever need it again.

irc.synirc.net and #thefiringrange.
Web based - http://cgiirc.synirc.net/irc.cgi
http://mibbit.com/
irc://irc.synirc.net/thefiringrange

There is the Chatzilla extension for firefox also if you wanted that.

Thepossiblelight
Jul 2, 2007
shut up.

since there's no such thing as STOPPING POWAH, what the gently caress is that thing?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Thepossiblelight posted:

since there's no such thing as STOPPING POWAH, what the gently caress is that thing?

...what are you talking about

El Jorge
Feb 26, 2006

A spiritus dominatus,
Domine, libra nos,
From the lighting and the tempest,
Our Emperor, deliver us.

A morte perpetua,
Domine, libra nos.

Gtab posted:

...what are you talking about

me

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

priznat posted:

I think bear spray comes in various types like a narrow stream or a cone and not just the "explode in a giant fart cloud blinding the user while the bear sodomizes him" format.

You want cloud kind. Stream is best for humanzees.

Please refer all bear related questions to me from now on because I am an experienced bearsman

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

Please refer all bear related questions to me from now on because I am an experienced bear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

Please refer all bear related questions to me from now on because I am an experienced bearsman