Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

spankmeister posted:

His chest may be hairy, but his balls? Well...

Edit: Question for the new page! I've got a stain on my carpet that looks a lot like a Sig 55x bolt carrier. Is my apartment haunted by the Swiss? What should I do, TFR?

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005

Pillbug

get a spraybottle of hoppes and make the rest of the carpet match, obviously

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Ninja Rope posted:

His chest may be hairy, but his balls? Well...

Edit: Question for the new page! I've got a stain on my carpet that looks a lot like a Sig 55x bolt carrier. Is my apartment haunted by the Swiss? What should I do, TFR?
Mix 1 tablespoon of ammonia with a half teaspoon dish soap and 1 quart of water in a spray bottle.

Silken balls.

STAT1C_X
May 9, 2004

by angerbot

On my upcoming deployment, I get to carry an M4 and an M9! Problem is, the holster I was issued is pretty awful. Any recommendations on a drop-leg holster for an M9/Beretta 92fs?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

STAT1C_X posted:

On my upcoming deployment, I get to carry an M4 and an M9! Problem is, the holster I was issued is pretty awful. Any recommendations on a drop-leg holster for an M9/Beretta 92fs?

You will buy a Safariland 6004 or 6005. There is literally no other remotely correct option.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

CougarsWrath posted:

get a spraybottle of hoppes and make the rest of the carpet match, obviously

Hoppes didn't stain my carpet. It just made it really dry and smell funny awesome.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Gtab posted:

You will buy a Safariland 6004 or 6005. There is literally no other remotely correct option.

Whats a good non drop-leg holster then? For a single stack 1911. Something that allows a good fast draw without being a pure competition holster.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Whats a good non drop-leg holster then? For a single stack 1911. Something that allows a good fast draw without being a pure competition holster.

OWB belt? Bladetech or Comptac, take your pick.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

I am looking at getting a cz-75 pretty soon. I was wondering wether or not the compact model would be better. Would comparing the compact and regular size to the size difference of a glock 17 to a 19, be about the same in size diffrence with the cz's?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I love my Ready Tactical holster and mag carriers.

It's marketed as a competition holster, but I guess you could use it for just about anything.

http://www.skdtac.com/Ready_Tactical_Holster_p/rdt.204.htm

They also have one that isn't "competition" but the photo looks identical to mine so I'm not sure what the differences are.

http://www.skdtac.com/Ready_Tactical_Holster_p/rdt.203.htm

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

A friend of mine is selling some guns and is offering the following:

Pre-'64 Model 70 with irons in .375 H&H (I've shot this gun a lot and love it): $2500

Stag Arms Super Varminter (includes Leupold 3-9): $1200

I already have a heavy barreled AR, so I really don't care about that. The .375 however is just a really great rifle. Every time I've used it I have joked to my friend that if he ever thinks of selling it to look me up first. Well he is, and I will likely have to sell poo poo if I'm going to go for this.

What say you TFR? Should I risk financial insolvency and dispose of all political capital in my marriage? Or should I pass and kick myself every time I see some other jackass with it at the range?

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Itchy_Grundle posted:

A friend of mine is selling some guns and is offering the following:

Pre-'64 Model 70 with irons in .375 H&H (I've shot this gun a lot and love it): $2500

Stag Arms Super Varminter (includes Leupold 3-9): $1200

I already have a heavy barreled AR, so I really don't care about that. The .375 however is just a really great rifle. Every time I've used it I have joked to my friend that if he ever thinks of selling it to look me up first. Well he is, and I will likely have to sell poo poo if I'm going to go for this.

What say you TFR? Should I risk financial insolvency and dispose of all political capital in my marriage? Or should I pass and kick myself every time I see some other jackass with it at the range?

Do it, if that's a good price, I don't know off the top of my head. Seems a tad high compared to the other .375 h&h rifles I have looked at, but then again I don't think I have physically seen a Win 70 yet.

You obviously love the gun already, and if you decide you want one some years down the line it's not going to be terribly easy to find. Guns like that, that you pass on, just end up being something you regret forever.

But on the other hand, what is being a gun owner without a vast collection of various regrets?

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

SouthsideSaint posted:

I am looking at getting a cz-75 pretty soon. I was wondering wether or not the compact model would be better. Would comparing the compact and regular size to the size difference of a glock 17 to a 19, be about the same in size diffrence with the cz's?

Is this a range, carry, or jack-of-all-trades gun? I've been shopping the range/competition type CZ, so I'd rather have the full size model with the longer sight radius. As far as carry is concerned, it's really the slimness of the pistol that matters over length in my experience depending on your size/shape. Both the compact and the full size have good reviews.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

If concealment is not an issue, the Safariland 6280 is the same basic holster as the 6004, but it's a mid-ride belt holster. You can get adapters to convert it to a low ride or a high ride. The 6280 is available to fit tons of different handguns.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

how can you tell if a barrel is pitted vs if a barrel just has built up lead deposits?

i've shot a decent amount of cast lead reloads out of my 1911 and there are these markings towards the mount of the barrel/end of the chamber that look funny. ive scrubbed the poo poo out of them and they arent coming off... used Sweets 7.62 and i really dont think i have anything stronger. i would take a picture if i had my digital camera.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

how can you tell if a barrel is pitted vs if a barrel just has built up lead deposits?

i've shot a decent amount of cast lead reloads out of my 1911 and there are these markings towards the mount of the barrel/end of the chamber that look funny. ive scrubbed the poo poo out of them and they arent coming off... used Sweets 7.62 and i really dont think i have anything stronger. i would take a picture if i had my digital camera.

Sweets is a very specific solvent for taking out copper fouling.

Use a lead-specific fouling remover. Usually that stuff is sold with the blackpowder gear, since most of the people who need that regularly are black powder guys.

Hit it hard with that and you should be good to go.

There's basically no reason for a barrel to have pitting unless you've had a rust problem in there. Rust leaves pits, not wear. I've seen barrels that were perfect as far as non-pitted goes, but had the rifling drat near worn off.

See also: how micro pitting and other common milsurp ailments frequently "shoot out" after a while, mostly because you're polishing the barrels by just shooting them a bunch.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sweets is a very specific solvent for taking out copper fouling.

Use a lead-specific fouling remover. Usually that stuff is sold with the blackpowder gear, since most of the people who need that regularly are black powder guys.

Hit it hard with that and you should be good to go.

There's basically no reason for a barrel to have pitting unless you've had a rust problem in there. Rust leaves pits, not wear. I've seen barrels that were perfect as far as non-pitted goes, but had the rifling drat near worn off.

See also: how micro pitting and other common milsurp ailments frequently "shoot out" after a while, mostly because you're polishing the barrels by just shooting them a bunch.

i'll use Hoppes and see how that does.

it's not inconceivable that the chrome inside the barrel was hosed up at the factory, but it'd too uneven for that to be the case and i'd think i'd have seen it many hundreds of rounds before now.

edit: hoppes is doing it, I just have a decent amount caked up in there. sweet. thanks Cyrano.

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 11, 2010

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

i'll use Hoppes and see how that does.

it's not inconceivable that the chrome inside the barrel was hosed up at the factory, but it'd too uneven for that to be the case and i'd think i'd have seen it many hundreds of rounds before now.

edit: hoppes is doing it, I just have a decent amount caked up in there. sweet. thanks Cyrano.

If you get tired of going at it with hoppes, Shooter's Choice Lead Remover just eats that poo poo for breakfast.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you get tired of going at it with hoppes, Shooter's Choice Lead Remover just eats that poo poo for breakfast.

Hm, the hoppes really isn't doing it as well as i'd hoped. it is almost starting to look like the chrome is flaking off or has been marred somehow, but I have no idea why it would be uniquely in the first 1" or so of barrel.

it could just be really well caked in lead grime as I do keep getting dirty patches as i run them through but it's hard to tell.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

So a coworker is interested in my Remington 700 VLS. Here's what he's offering in trade:

- Like new S&W 638 with case, lock, warranty paperwork, and two sets of grips
- Four brand new HKS speedloaders, still in the package
- One unopened box of Hornady Critical Defense .38 Special
- 500 round case of Remington target wadcutters

WSYTFR?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

do you really, really want to pocket carry a .38 spl revolver?

because otherwise you're never gonna shoot the drat thing and you may as well keep the 700.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I feel pretty much the opposite; the 700 has been a very frustrating rifle for me so I never shoot it. And a lightweight pocket revolver is something I haven't had for years, and it's something that I feel is missing from my collection. I had never really considered the 638 before - I was thinking 642 or 442 maybe - but it's essentially the same gun, but with the ability to shoot it single action if you want.

In short, yes, I would totally pocket carry a .38 revolver. Or IWB. Or whatever.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

A chance to get rid of a cursed rifle and in trade get a revolver you think you'd enjoy? Sounds like a good plan, it's not like 700's are hard to find if you ever change your mind and want to go back, and maybe the next one won't be cursed.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Crap, to buy a 500-round case of Remington wadcutters from Midway USA would cost over $300.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

So. I saw this Savage 99 for sale. It is chambered in .300savage, which is still a pretty great round. It is an older one with the rotary cartridge counter. It also has one of those weird Redfield Widescreen scopes mounted on it. It is also $450. I could most likely get it for $400.

I do not *need* an other medium range woods gun.

But man, I loving want that gun so badly.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

bunnielab posted:

So. I saw this Savage 99 for sale. It is chambered in .300savage, which is still a pretty great round. It is an older one with the rotary cartridge counter. It also has one of those weird Redfield Widescreen scopes mounted on it. It is also $450. I could most likely get it for $400.

I do not *need* an other medium range woods gun.

But man, I loving want that gun so badly.

So was there, like, a question in there?

infrared35 posted:

Crap, to buy a 500-round case of Remington wadcutters from Midway USA would cost over $300.

Doooo it.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to PARTAYYY!

Fun Shoe

Yeah seriously infrared, get that poo poo.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Gtab posted:

OWB belt? Bladetech or Comptac, take your pick.

I think I am going buy a CR-speed belt for the 1911. For the glock I got a Sam Browne leather belt and a simple leather holster. Oh and it would have to be IPSC legal, which I believe requires a release mechanism instead of friction alone.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 11, 2010

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

walrusman posted:

So was there, like, a question in there?

Doooo it.

I think I now own the TFRest J-frame ever.

Minlune
Dec 13, 2004

They were good years; a time of bounty. The children grew and the crops flourished. And then the pandas came and took it all away.

I was a little confused about the Minnesota carry laws; would like to make sure I have everything straight.

MN has purchase permits and carry permits for handguns. Carry permits seem to require a class that the state certifies and more paperwork.
Now, if the only place I have a desire to take it is a shooting range or place like this (would like to learn how to shoot trap or skeet at some point, not with a pistol obviously), is a purchase permit all I would need? This site states that a carry permit is not required "to carry a pistol in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this state for the purpose of hunting or of target shooting in a safe area," so does that mean you're ok for any shooting ranges?

Sorry for the dumb question, I'm very new to these things. Was thinking about picking up a .22 pistol to learn how to shoot; seems fun and something that would be interesting to learn.

Chemical Halo
Nov 6, 2002

Resident Tequila Aficionado

Minlune posted:

I was a little confused about the Minnesota carry laws; would like to make sure I have everything straight.

MN has purchase permits and carry permits for handguns. Carry permits seem to require a class that the state certifies and more paperwork.
Now, if the only place I have a desire to take it is a shooting range or place like this (would like to learn how to shoot trap or skeet at some point, not with a pistol obviously), is a purchase permit all I would need? This site states that a carry permit is not required "to carry a pistol in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this state for the purpose of hunting or of target shooting in a safe area," so does that mean you're ok for any shooting ranges?

Sorry for the dumb question, I'm very new to these things. Was thinking about picking up a .22 pistol to learn how to shoot; seems fun and something that would be interesting to learn.

A purchase permit is all that you would need to purchase a pistol, after which you can take it to and from the range etc as long as it is cased/unloaded. The carry permit allows you to carry it loaded on your person in public.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

infrared35, was it you that was asking about a USP simunitions conversion slide marked PBSP? Things got hectic and I didn't have time to ask the guy I know about it.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

How many of you kids have bug out bags, and what's in them? I'm starting to build mine out -- one for each of my 2 cars (with equipment suitable for wife and I to share if poo poo goes down on the road) and one big one at home for hurricane prep and other o poo poo disasters.

Goal for the car ones would be small enough to not inconvenience me too much with trunk storage, but large enough to take care of us until we can get home, or if we had to leave, it would need to satisfy our essentials for a few days.

Caveat here is that the bag(s) need to survive Texas sun inside-the-car (150-200?) temperatures on a regular basis without deteriorating and forcing me to spend another X on first aid kids, etc. I'm fine with replacing the food and water every 6 months.

I'm still kind of battling with that one.. Anyone have suggestions for food that can withstand temp fluctuations and how I should store water (in stainless steel vs plastic maybe?)

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

dhrusis posted:

How many of you kids have bug out bags, and what's in them? I'm starting to build mine out -- one for each of my 2 cars (with equipment suitable for wife and I to share if poo poo goes down on the road) and one big one at home for hurricane prep and other o poo poo disasters.

Goal for the car ones would be small enough to not inconvenience me too much with trunk storage, but large enough to take care of us until we can get home, or if we had to leave, it would need to satisfy our essentials for a few days.

Caveat here is that the bag(s) need to survive Texas sun inside-the-car (150-200?) temperatures on a regular basis without deteriorating and forcing me to spend another X on first aid kids, etc. I'm fine with replacing the food and water every 6 months.

I'm still kind of battling with that one.. Anyone have suggestions for food that can withstand temp fluctuations and how I should store water (in stainless steel vs plastic maybe?)

I can't help you with the heat, as I mostly have to worry about the cold, but I do keep some supplies in my truck. It's mostly for daily emergencies rather than SHTF situations. I have a medical bag full of medical stuff and other supplies. Plus I keep a couple MREs there too. I also have a small duffel bag with a change of clothes. Again, it's more of a daily emergency thing, like keeping a tool kit and and a spare tire. I've had to use them a few times for medical or wardrobe emergencies, but I've also gone on mini camping trips of sorts and the supplies were handy.

At home, I have a big army backpack full of MREs and ammo pouches. I guess this is my bug out bag. I can fill it with ammo and water bottles quick enough, but weapons aren't a top priority. I already have my carry pistol and ammo so that's already factored in.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I have a pallet of water behind the front seats (extended cab) in my truck, that's pretty much all I can expect to survive inside a car in southern arizona for long. I also keep a spare pair of shoes, because you never know when your shoes will get hosed up, and... the ground is spiky and hot here.

I suppose if you keep everything in a cooler and try to park in shady areas, it would probably extend the life of more fragile stuff.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

I like turtles posted:

I have a pallet of water behind the front seats (extended cab) in my truck, that's pretty much all I can expect to survive inside a car in southern arizona for long. I also keep a spare pair of shoes, because you never know when your shoes will get hosed up, and... the ground is spiky and hot here.

I suppose if you keep everything in a cooler and try to park in shady areas, it would probably extend the life of more fragile stuff.

Yeah, I've also never had a problem with unopened plastic water bottles. I have had opened ones deform in the heat, but unopened ones have held up in 100+ heat. I too also keep an older pair of shoes and boots in my truck. Sure, it started out as me needing them and being too lazy/forgetting to bring them in, but now I consider them part of my emergency supplies.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I looked for the lever gun thread, but the little angel has flown away.

I'm starting to get irritated with my Rossi 92 carbine. It's .357 Mag/.38 Spc and I can't get it to feed reliably for the life of me. FMJ round-nose .38s, flat-nose. .38s, lead flat-nose .357. Brisk cycling, slow cycling, different speeds all over. I haven't tried my Hornady Levereverevereverevolution yet but I would think that the cartridges I'm using would have fed properly by now.

Is this just kind of "the way model 92s are"? The accuracy is good and it's a nice looking gun, but I get cartridges failing to fully pop-up or jamming into the top of the barrel off the feed ramp regularly.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

I like turtles posted:

Oh, the cooler idea is good.. What do you think about a cheapie tacklebox with all of the supplies in a bag wrapped in a towel? That way the towel could serve a dual role as insulation and whatever else towels are used for (always bring a towel)

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

rope kid posted:

Is this just kind of "the way model 92s are"? The accuracy is good and it's a nice looking gun, but I get cartridges failing to fully pop-up or jamming into the top of the barrel off the feed ramp regularly.

My father owns a different 1892 clone, a Browning B92. It's been perfectly fine with .357mag (never tried it with .38sp). Sounds like there's something wrong with your rifle

edit: have you tried posting a description of your problems at a cowboy shooting oriented forum like cascity.com ? they could help

skul-gun fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plywood Terrier
Aug 18, 2010

Don't want to sound like a gun-nut, but I've been looking at Class 3 weapons...are all machine guns seriously that expensive? Like over $10,000 is what I've been seeing.