Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

not much of a safe to deter any kid who can use the internet or the most casual of burglars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Have you ever been around a three year old? Even if the kid was shown how, the fact that he could do it is still insane.

Completely depends on the 3 year old in question. That age is really bizarre as far as how much spread there is developmentally. I spent a year teaching english at a school in South Korea where I spent the first half of the day with 3-4 year olds. Some of them were super-attentive, really easy to interact with, super-verbal in both Korean and English, and generally acted more like you would expect from kids 2 or 3 years older, totally potty trained, good grasp on basic manners/behavior/right and wrong, etc. With others it was like dealing with a really big toddler.

The whole issue of how to secure anything from a kid (be it guns, chemicals, knives, matches, the kitty litter box, or anything else you don't want them playing with or putting in their mouths) is going to be massively contingent on the individual kid and in the end is best left up to the parent who knows what that particular child is capable of the best.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

I'm really liking that SnapSafe Titan or the Sentry that was posted. Although I'm leaning more towards the modular since I like the idea of being able to disassemble and move it easily.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

This is an excellent post.

Mishra
Dec 12, 2007

Faltion posted:

I'm really liking that SnapSafe Titan or the Sentry that was posted. Although I'm leaning more towards the modular since I like the idea of being able to disassemble and move it easily.

I have one of these:
http://www.costco.com/BIGHORN-19ECB-Safe.product.11625662.html?cm_vc=Home_7&cm_sp=CommerceRecs-_-2-carousel-2-(home_7)+Activity+2-_-Home_7

It will take up a closet but doesn't really need to be bolted down. it's heavy but easy to move, fits through doors and such no problem. My couch was far more trouble to get in my basement apartment than that thing.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

If I'm ordering a gun from budsgunshop should I actually contact the FFL before shipping even if he's on the preferred list? I'm just a little bit hesitant about it because I'm looking at the address for most of these and they're in residential neighborhoods, which leads me to believe they're pretty low volume.

Millions Knives
Mar 8, 2005

They don't show anime on a daily basis in my mess hall!

Mortabis posted:

If I'm ordering a gun from budsgunshop should I actually contact the FFL before shipping even if he's on the preferred list? I'm just a little bit hesitant about it because I'm looking at the address for most of these and they're in residential neighborhoods, which leads me to believe they're pretty low volume.

Yes you should contact him if nothing more than as a courtesy, it makes sure everyone is all on the same page and the shop doesn't get a gun they aren't expecting.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

Millions Knives posted:

Yes you should contact him if nothing more than as a courtesy, it makes sure everyone is all on the same page and the shop doesn't get a gun they aren't expecting.

Well the point of the preferred list is not having to go through any bullshit beforehand... But I would email them or something afterward.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Operating Rod posted:

What's up with removing Series 80 firing pin blocks in IDPA vs replacing the entire slide?

What I can find says it's NO GOOD to remove a safety. Except when you spend a bunch of extra money to remove the safety. Then it's fine.

If the gun, and remember the receiver counts as the gun, came with a firing pin safety, you can't remove or disable it. How much anyone would give two fucks is up to wherever you shoot.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Completely depends on the 3 year old in question. That age is really bizarre as far as how much spread there is developmentally. I spent a year teaching english at a school in South Korea where I spent the first half of the day with 3-4 year olds. Some of them were super-attentive, really easy to interact with, super-verbal in both Korean and English, and generally acted more like you would expect from kids 2 or 3 years older, totally potty trained, good grasp on basic manners/behavior/right and wrong, etc. With others it was like dealing with a really big toddler.

The whole issue of how to secure anything from a kid (be it guns, chemicals, knives, matches, the kitty litter box, or anything else you don't want them playing with or putting in their mouths) is going to be massively contingent on the individual kid and in the end is best left up to the parent who knows what that particular child is capable of the best.

Holy poo poo dude, you did the ESL stuff in Asia? You'd love my parents (who did it in Taiwan). The same parents who have said, "Give a two year old a bar of platinum, turn your head and see it tied into a knot".

e: check your PMs.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 22, 2013

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

Mortabis posted:

Depends on how well you know your FFL. I have a scan of my FFL's license on my computer and I've transferred a fair amount of stuff through him, so I just order stuff and send him an email afterward letting him know it's coming. He's never had an issue with it.

Someone I've never used before? I'd call/email him beforehand just to make sure (1)he's still in business/doing transfers and (2)how much the transfer fee is or that it hasn't been raised.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Dirk Diggler posted:

Depends on how well you know your FFL. I have a scan of my FFL's license on my computer and I've transferred a fair amount of stuff through him, so I just order stuff and send him an email afterward letting him know it's coming. He's never had an issue with it.

Someone I've never used before? I'd call/email him beforehand just to make sure (1)he's still in business/doing transfers and (2)how much the transfer fee is or that it hasn't been raised.

Yeah, this. My local tabletop guy is really chill and has said multiple times that he's OK with accepting whatever from me as long as I tell him it's coming before it actually hits his doorstep. I've got a scan of his license and just buy whatever then drop him a line. Then again, I also tip him with a six pack when I go get my guns because he does cheap transfers and his taste in beer isn't expensive. :v:

The first few times I used him, though, I made sure to get the OK from him before sending his info out to a 3rd party.

I also tend to do him the courtesy of CC'ing him on any correspondence I have with the other party that directly involves him. Usually it's just when I send out the info, but it keeps him in the loop.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

madeintaipei posted:

Holy poo poo dude, you did the ESL stuff in Asia? You'd love my parents (who did it in Taiwan). The same parents who have said, "Give a two year old a bar of platinum, turn your head and see it tied into a knot".

e: check your PMs.

Didn't see a PM, went ahead and deleted all my sent messages in case that was the problem.

Fool and the World
Dec 8, 2010

So if I'm looking at getting a two tone cerakote for one of my pistols what kind of price range should I be looking at? 50-150 sound about right? Or am I just being optimistic?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

The one nearest to me in Midland Texas charges 185 for a complete two tone cover. Frame or slide only is 90. Add on 50/25 for taking apart putting and putting back together.

Zatheria
Apr 30, 2013

What rifle cases do you guys recommend? I'm looking for a hard case to replace my soft case - right now it's a Condor one left over my airsoft days. I've heard of pelican being recommended but it is quite expensive.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Pelican is A+ great worth the money.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Darth Freddy posted:

The one nearest to me in Midland Texas charges 185 for a complete two tone cover. Frame or slide only is 90. Add on 50/25 for taking apart putting and putting back together.

Do you know of a good gunsmith in west Texas? I am down in alpine and am thinking about having some work done on my bolt action.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Capn Beeb posted:

Pelican is A+ great worth the money.

Seconded, loving amazing.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Pelican rifle cases are enormous and heavy, like 12kg empty or something for a 1750 case

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 23, 2013

Zatheria
Apr 30, 2013

gimpsuitjones posted:

Pelican are loving enormous and heavy, like 12kg empty or something for a 1750 case

Any other cost-effective/reasonable alternatives for a decent SHTF bag, I mean range bag?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Zatheria posted:

Any other cost-effective/reasonable alternatives for a decent SHTF bag, I mean range bag?

Pelican would be fine for travelling, ie flying or 4wding or rafting, if you wanted your guns completely protected from bumps, drops, water, etc.

Useless if you want to carry them anywhere in it.

Really I don't know what you're actually asking for. A bag/case for 1 gun? multiple? what kinds? etc

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

If you do tend towards a Pelican make sure you measure out your trunk first. I had to sell 2x 1750s because they wouldn't fit in the trunk of my last two cars.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

ZenMastaT posted:

If you do tend towards a Pelican make sure you measure out your trunk first. I had to sell 2x 1750s because they wouldn't fit in the trunk of my last two cars.

Yeah they're stupidly big, I had the same problem with a 1750

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Zatheria posted:

Yeah umm do you want a range bag or a hard carrying case? Those are completely different things.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

If you're looking for a cheap hard case just get one of those Planos from Amazon. I've had 'em for a few years and they hold up to normal levels of abuse pretty well, baggage handlers/TSA busted a latch on one once but it still closed and protected the guns OK. If you're planning on dragging your poo poo behind a truck or beating it with a sledgehammer or something, Pelican's still cheaper than new guns.

Don't plan on fitting two in the double rifle case though, it's really more of a 'one tall rifle' case.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 23, 2013

Mishra
Dec 12, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

Seconded, loving amazing.

We ship 100K robots in them. So I'll add in my seal of approval as well.

Fool and the World
Dec 8, 2010

Darth Freddy posted:

Doesn't sound too bad. I usually go into gun stuff expecting $Rape.50 so I'm a little surprised. How does the coating hold up?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

Grimey Drawer

Zatheria posted:

What rifle cases do you guys recommend? I'm looking for a hard case to replace my soft case - right now it's a Condor one left over my airsoft days. I've heard of pelican being recommended but it is quite expensive.

What kind of rifle is it for? A scoped bolt action has a different profile than a iron sighted lever action which has a different profile than a scoped AR-15, which has a different profile from a pistol gripped shotgun, and so on and so forth. A hard case that works great for one might not work great for others, and a hard case that carries two of one type of rifle might only fit one of another type, or three of another type.

Also, what do you want to use it for? Are you going to be flying with these guns? Traveling in a way that causes the gun to get knocked around? Just putting it in your trunk to go to and from the range?

"Get a Pelican case" is great advice, but can be a bit of overkill if you're just going to use it to cart your SKS to and from the range.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Speaking of flying with guns, what are the rules that the case must conform to?

Schigolch
Apr 30, 2008

Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb, make thee?

Storm iM3200 or Pelican 1720 cases are 6" shorter than 1750s, and a good option for a single rifle + pistol + mags. Maybe not big enough for two assembled rifles, but I find them to be a good size. If you just have a 16" barrel and collapsible stock then the iM3100 is 36" interior, 14" shorter than the 1750. (Or Pelican 1700, which is a tiny bit shorter than that.) I plan on picking one of those up in the near future, for my 16" or SBR.

Schigolch
Apr 30, 2008

Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb, make thee?

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

Hard sided, locked with a non-tsa lock.

Zatheria
Apr 30, 2013

It's going to be for AR profile guns. I'll be flying with it occasionally, generally its going to be sitting in my trunk going to and from the range.

I really like the look and durability of a Pelican, but they're just really expensive and I haven't heard of other companies that lie between Plano and Pelican.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

If you want really good-looking, and well-built, and tough, and lightweight, you're gonna pay for it. :shrug:

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Zatheria posted:

It's going to be for AR profile guns. I'll be flying with it occasionally, generally its going to be sitting in my trunk going to and from the range.

I really like the look and durability of a Pelican, but they're just really expensive and I haven't heard of other companies that lie between Plano and Pelican.

Boyt for hard cases and Voodoo for soft cases.

I've flown with mine and it rules. You should really save the hard case for flying and get a soft rifle bag for range stuff.

MazelTovCocktail
Jun 23, 2012

Gritty's gonna cut you.

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/articles/2010/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation.aspx
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition
Make sure to print out the TSA one. You will get people being stupid.

Speaking of stupid stay the hell away from NY or NJ.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Do you know of a good gunsmith in west Texas? I am down in alpine and am thinking about having some work done on my bolt action.

I have heard good things about Alamo barber shop and R and J Performance coatings. Both are up in Lubbock Texas. Metal EFX is in Midland and I think they have a gunsmith as well.

Fool and the World posted:

Doesn't sound too bad. I usually go into gun stuff expecting $Rape.50 so I'm a little surprised. How does the coating hold up?

Hold up is awesome my friend has had one for a few years and it seems like the wear on it is barely there. Some of the designs are kind of...goofy.

Tiger stripes!

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Darth Freddy posted:

Tiger stripes!

Have they ever seen a tiger?

Fool and the World
Dec 8, 2010

Darth Freddy posted:

Hold up is awesome my friend has had one for a few years and it seems like the wear on it is barely there. Some of the designs are kind of...goofy.

Tiger stripes!

Thats good to know about the hold up. I'm tired of watching the patina on my Kimber just get bigger and bigger and bigger. Also, you laugh about the goofy rear end colors but when I save up enough I'm going to get some blue and light tan vertical tiger stripes on one of my single actions for funsies. Its a total piece of crap anyway, might as well make it a fun piece of crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

gfanikf posted:

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/articles/2010/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation.aspx
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition
Make sure to print out the TSA one. You will get people being stupid.

Speaking of stupid stay the hell away from NY or NJ.

I will also recommend looking up & printing the rules of the airline you're using & have both in your case. Also arriving a lot earlier than you'd normally do when flying in case you have to walk through all the regulations with the baggage terminal clerk.