Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

dhrusis posted:

Oh, the cooler idea is good.. What do you think about a cheapie tacklebox with all of the supplies in a bag wrapped in a towel? That way the towel could serve a dual role as insulation and whatever else towels are used for (always bring a towel)

I'm sure it would help some, but the goal would be to normalize the temperature as much as possible. I doubt 1-2mm of plastic and a towel would be anywhere near as effective as .5"-1" of insulating foam and a purpose built relatively airtight container. If it isn't an option space wise, the tackle box/towel would be better than nothing.

If I really went nuts and wanted to build a desert survival kit to live in my truck, I'd get a smallish cooler, 2'-3' long, with good solid wheels, wrap whatever I wanted in towels, then fill the cooler up with water bottles, just to increase thermal mass as much as possible with something useful. Then, if you break down somewhere where you *know* you'll have to walk, you'll have a wheeled container to transport survival stuff in.

You could even get OCD about it and if you park somewhere for a while and it gets hot in the vehicle, when you come back and crank he AC up, open the lid and try to let everything cool down before closing it back up. Personally I'd never remember to do that, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Plywood Terrier posted:

Don't want to sound like a gun-nut, but I've been looking at Class 3 weapons...are all machine guns seriously that expensive? Like over $10,000 is what I've been seeing.
There is no "class 3" weapons. Class 3 refers strictly to dealers who are licensed to sell NFA firearms like machine guns and suppressors. And yes, all machine guns that you (as a non-licensed collector) can legally possess are very expensive. Simple things like Mac-10s are only a few thousand. Anything notable like an M16 will be at least $10k and belt-feds will be the price of a new car. Demand is very high and supply is very low.

Plywood Terrier
Aug 18, 2010

Pitch posted:

There is no "class 3" weapons. Class 3 refers strictly to dealers who are licensed to sell NFA firearms like machine guns and suppressors. And yes, all machine guns that you (as a non-licensed collector) can legally possess are very expensive. Simple things like Mac-10s are only a few thousand. Anything notable like an M16 will be at least $10k and belt-feds will be the price of a new car. Demand is very high and supply is very low.

Thanks for the info, sorry about the wrong terminology. Like I said, just starting to look into it.

PovRayMan
Dec 25, 2002

Never get Freudian on a man holding a pickle.

Plywood Terrier posted:

Thanks for the info, sorry about the wrong terminology. Like I said, just starting to look into it.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/machineguns.html

good listing of transferables mostly sold but a good idea on lots of prices

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Aperture Priority posted:

infrared35, was it you that was asking about a USP simunitions conversion slide marked PBSP? Things got hectic and I didn't have time to ask the guy I know about it.

Yep, that was me.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PovRayMan posted:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/machineguns.html

good listing of transferables mostly sold but a good idea on lots of prices

The classifieds on Subguns.com and Sturmgewehr.com are also good for this. But yeah, what Pitch said - demand is high, supply is very low, and barring the passing of some drat ballsy legislation by the government (ha, good luck!), that's unlikely to change.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

The classifieds on Subguns.com and Sturmgewehr.com are also good for this. But yeah, what Pitch said - demand is high, supply is very low, and barring the passing of some drat ballsy legislation by the government (ha, good luck!), that's unlikely to change.

Yeah, and it will be a while before I can get into government and introduce my Puppies for Orphans Bill, with an attached rider reopening the machine gun registry for regular people to buy new machine guns.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

infrared35 posted:

Yep, that was me.

Alright, I asked one of the officers who works at Pelican Bay. He said that it is most likely from the prison. Apparently they used to have HK rifles of some sort, but then HK wanted them back. In exchange for the rifles, they gave the prison USPs. (Oddly enough, he says that when they do need to use sidearms for trips to hospitals and such the officers carry .38 revolvers rather than autos because a good chunk of the officers couldn't be taught how to use a semiauto pistol).

I have no idea how accurate any of this is, but it's what he told me. So yea, the conversion kit was probably from Pelican Bay.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

rope kid posted:

I looked for the lever gun thread, but the little angel has flown away.

I'm starting to get irritated with my Rossi 92 carbine. It's .357 Mag/.38 Spc and I can't get it to feed reliably for the life of me. FMJ round-nose .38s, flat-nose. .38s, lead flat-nose .357. Brisk cycling, slow cycling, different speeds all over. I haven't tried my Hornady Levereverevereverevolution yet but I would think that the cartridges I'm using would have fed properly by now.

Is this just kind of "the way model 92s are"? The accuracy is good and it's a nice looking gun, but I get cartridges failing to fully pop-up or jamming into the top of the barrel off the feed ramp regularly.

My friend has a Rossi 92 in .357/.38, and we've shot it a ton together. I've never seen it fail to feed anything, and he hasn't mentioned it being a problem when he's shooting alone, either. I'd definitely say there's something up with your carbine.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

Aperture Priority posted:

(Oddly enough, he says that when they do need to use sidearms for trips to hospitals and such the officers carry .38 revolvers rather than autos because a good chunk of the officers couldn't be taught how to use a semiauto pistol).

Am I the only one bothered by this?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

rope kid posted:

I looked for the lever gun thread, but the little angel has flown away.

I'm starting to get irritated with my Rossi 92 carbine. It's .357 Mag/.38 Spc and I can't get it to feed reliably for the life of me. FMJ round-nose .38s, flat-nose. .38s, lead flat-nose .357. Brisk cycling, slow cycling, different speeds all over. I haven't tried my Hornady Levereverevereverevolution yet but I would think that the cartridges I'm using would have fed properly by now.

Is this just kind of "the way model 92s are"? The accuracy is good and it's a nice looking gun, but I get cartridges failing to fully pop-up or jamming into the top of the barrel off the feed ramp regularly.

No thats not the way they are supposed to act. Goto: https://www.levergunscommunity.com and use the search function, you could also register but that takes a while. Those guys probably know all there is to know about levers.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Terrible Robot posted:

Am I the only one bothered by this?

My uncle is an officer at a different CA institution, and he complains about the difficulty of the mandatory pistol qualifications. Corrections officers expect to use their guns much less than policemen.

The implication that they "weren't able" to teach them to use semi-autos is ridiculous, but keep that in mind.

Question--870 Police Magnums: worth some of the higher price point from a functionality standpoint, or are the advantages purely cosmetic?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

The difference is all in the finish and certain parts modified for extra durability. Since the market is full of 30-year-old Wingmasters that still run like new, it's hard to say the Police Magnum is really worth it.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Chantilly Say posted:

My uncle is an officer at a different CA institution, and he complains about the difficulty of the mandatory pistol qualifications. Corrections officers expect to use their guns much less than policemen.

The implication that they "weren't able" to teach them to use semi-autos is ridiculous, but keep that in mind.

From what I can tell, the Michigan Department of Corrections emphasizes long gun qualifications a lot more than handgun qualifications. And in California, you've probably got a much smaller percentage of people going into the job with prior handgun experience.

It's interesting to see the differences between even my agency and the Coast Guard, with whom I'm had the pleasure of working on numerous occasions. We qualify three times a year on the handgun, which seems to be the bare minimum needed for folks to keep their skills up. Out of about a hundred officers at my facility, we don't have a single "problem" shooter. There are a couple who struggle a little, but it's rare that anyone actually has to remediate.

Coast Guard, on the other hand, mostly shoots once a year on the handgun. Their local firearms instructor is a good guy and a great teacher, but when your troops only shoot once a year you have to do a lot of back-to-basics stuff with people every single time to build them back up. And they still only have about a 50% pass rate.

Besides the frequency of quals, we carry a handgun every day so there's an inherent increased level of familiarity; most Coast Guard (and corrections) folks don't.

Having said that, MIDOC went to Glocks a long time ago and I don't think they had too much trouble with the transition.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

My recently purchased CMMG .22LR conversion won't fit properly in my Armalite upper. When I try to install it, it will seat about 98% of the way and stop. I believe it's binding on the charging handle.

Is there something about CMMG not fitting in Armalites, or might I have a defective kit from CMMG?

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

bunnielab posted:

So. I saw this Savage 99 for sale. It is chambered in .300savage, which is still a pretty great round. It is an older one with the rotary cartridge counter. It also has one of those weird Redfield Widescreen scopes mounted on it. It is also $450. I could most likely get it for $400.

I do not *need* an other medium range woods gun.

But man, I loving want that gun so badly.

Savage 99s are awesome. The .300 savage is a great round, and remarkably easy to come by. For an "obsolete" round it's one of the most common I see.

$400 may be a bit much for it, depending on the year and condition. The .300 savage chambered 99s are extremely common. The cheapest one I have found was $225 (which I kick myself for not buying, but I don't have any more safe space) and they go up from there.

What kind of mount does it have for the scope? If it's a stith mount it is definitely worth the $400. If not, and if it is a newer gun, it might be worth talking them down a bit.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

Savage 99s are awesome. The .300 savage is a great round, and remarkably easy to come by. For an "obsolete" round it's one of the most common I see.

$400 may be a bit much for it, depending on the year and condition. The .300 savage chambered 99s are extremely common. The cheapest one I have found was $225 (which I kick myself for not buying, but I don't have any more safe space) and they go up from there.

What kind of mount does it have for the scope? If it's a stith mount it is definitely worth the $400. If not, and if it is a newer gun, it might be worth talking them down a bit.

I think it must be an older gun as it still has the cartridge counter on it. I will get the SN next time I am at that store.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

His Divine Shadow posted:

No thats not the way they are supposed to act. Goto: https://www.levergunscommunity.com and use the search function, you could also register but that takes a while. Those guys probably know all there is to know about levers.
I keep seeing Steve Young's name come up in relation to the Rossis (including on Paco's site), and from reading on Paco's forums, it looks like people have problems with the ejector spring and mag follower. I just wrote a letter to Steve Young; hopefully he can help address the feeding issues. It's a nice carbine otherwise.

http://www.stevesgunz.com/

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Itchy_Grundle posted:

My recently purchased CMMG .22LR conversion won't fit properly in my Armalite upper. When I try to install it, it will seat about 98% of the way and stop. I believe it's binding on the charging handle.

Is there something about CMMG not fitting in Armalites, or might I have a defective kit from CMMG?

What kind of charging handle do you have?

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Has anyone ever ordered from https://www.jetguns.com before? I had never heard of them, but they have some awesome prices on new guns (typically better than Buds by a fair margin).

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

So what is the deal with HK pistol triggers? Like, I think you can swap which style you have but i don't know. I want to get into IDPA and the after looking at the rules I think a USP compact with an LEM trigger is what I want but they are somewhat hard to find and I want to know if I can buy any old gun and swap the trigger.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

bunnielab posted:

So what is the deal with HK pistol triggers? Like, I think you can swap which style you have but i don't know. I want to get into IDPA and the after looking at the rules I think a USP compact with an LEM trigger is what I want but they are somewhat hard to find and I want to know if I can buy any old gun and swap the trigger.

Yep. It's not extremely difficult, but be sure to read up on it before you take it all apart. As I recall, there is a decent guide over at the hkpro forums.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

I don't see the threads on HKPro any more but maybe I'm blind. If they're gone, I've got a copy of them saved with pictures.

The conversion from DA/SA to LEM or LEM w/ safety are not hard as infrared said, more complicated than building an AR-15 lower but not much. I actually preferred to do it myself so I could keep the original firing pin block safety spring, which gives a slightly lighter pull on the "second stage".

Edit:

I found these:
http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?63079-LEM-installation-instructions
http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?40627-P2000-SK-USPC-LEM-Trigger-Job-Part-1

I could have sworn there was another post I used when I did mine, but really the armorer's manual is all I needed.

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 13, 2010

ohhhlethal
Dec 4, 2006

doubleGLOCK

Quickly,

someone tell me the NSN # for a Dog.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

I went to GBS and made them all mad.

It owned.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

ohhhlethal posted:

Quickly,

someone tell me the NSN # for a Dog.

https://www.webflis.dlis.dla.mil/WEBFLIS/pub/pub_search.aspx?PINC=0032312&newpage=1&start=y This?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hey, I bought a LASER!!! and want to mount it on my AR, but the damned thing only came with a weaver rail mount. I managed to force it onto my picatinny rail, but it still has some play, not much, but enough that I reckon with enough movement, and definitely once I fire, it'll be dancing all over the place. Any tips or suggestions? Time is of the essence, as my hunting trip in less than a week!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

I went to GBS and made them all mad.

It owned.

Yeah not so much.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Does anyone know of a place where I can get something I can print out and set at a fixed distance so that I can learn at what magnification level the mil dots on my scope are accurate?

Or instructions on how to make such a thing?

I did some calculations based on the size of A4 paper and it suggested that on my 6-24x50 scope the dots were accurate at 18x. I'd like to double check this with the method I outlined above since it would make more sense to me if it was accurate at 12x.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Anjow posted:

Does anyone know of a place where I can get something I can print out and set at a fixed distance so that I can learn at what magnification level the mil dots on my scope are accurate?

Or instructions on how to make such a thing?

I did some calculations based on the size of A4 paper and it suggested that on my 6-24x50 scope the dots were accurate at 18x. I'd like to double check this with the method I outlined above since it would make more sense to me if it was accurate at 12x.

Um, I have zero idea about how, exactly, one would measure this or what the calculations are, but there are LOTS of different types of targets (mostly used by the bench rest set) that have the entire target broken into squares that come out to be 1MOA at 100 yards.

They might just be 1 inch squares, but I'm pretty sure some of the really nice ones for the really, really serious guys actually have them as 1.00whateverthefuck 1 MOA is actually equal to at 100 yards.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My problem is I don't know where to start. I can't get my head around the calculations to figure it out for myself, despite trying. Also, unfortunately I only have a maximum of 35y to work with when pinning things up to look at, since that's the largest range we have at the airgun club and I don't have any land of my own.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Inspector_71 posted:

Yeah not so much.

did so

edit:
You're just fat.

Sgt. Shaved Balls fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 13, 2010

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Anjow posted:

My problem is I don't know where to start. I can't get my head around the calculations to figure it out for myself, despite trying. Also, unfortunately I only have a maximum of 35y to work with when pinning things up to look at, since that's the largest range we have at the airgun club and I don't have any land of my own.

1 MOA at 100 yards is 1.0471996". At 35 yards its .3665" (1.0471996 x .35).

Make lines on paper that far apart. Put it at 35 yards.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Anjow posted:

Check out this excel file I made up to do basic mil-dot ranging: http://chrisbrennerphoto.com/other/TFR/Mil-Dot%20Ranging%20Program.xls

Just enter in the height or width of the target in inches, and the corresponding height or width in mils and it should tell you the estimated range.

When I started learning about mil-dot ranging and the like, I was lucky in that I had a big open field outside my bedroom window that I could look out through at houses and the like across the way. I just picked out a few objects that I was relatively sure of the size of like fire hydrants, basketball nets, cars, mailboxes, etc. and started approximating range on them all.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Motronic posted:

Make lines on paper that far apart. Put it at 35 yards.
Or if you have as much difficulty with left-brains and calculators as me, make lines 1/4" apart and put it at 25 yards.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

What kind of charging handle do you have?

Just the stock one that came with the rifle.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Anjow posted:

Well, the math for mil dot ranging is fairly simple. The ranging formula is
pre:
target size * 1000
------------------ = distance to target
      mils
If you want to construct a target that's a specific number of mils high, with known distance to target, a bit of algebra gets us
pre:
              distance to target * mils
target size = -------------------------
Say you want to make a target that's 4 mils high at 35 yards. That comes out at 0.14 yards, or 5.04 inches. Make a target that's 5.04 inches high (just a hair shy of 5 1/16" if you're using a standard ruler), put it at 35 yards, adjust your scope until that target is 4 mil-dots high, and you're calibrated. Keep in mind, this is only as accurate as your target's construction, and your range's distances.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thanks very much, I knew the ranging formula but my brain switches off when it comes to rearranging them. That's exactly what I was after.

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl

If you knew society was going to collapse and had one choice in one semi auto handgun, what would it be? Gotta assume maintenance will be mediocre at best and there will be no spare parts probably. What would you choose?! All guns will fail eventually but which ones do you think will last the longest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

FalconGuy016 posted:

If you knew society was going to collapse and had one choice in one semi auto handgun, what would it be? Gotta assume maintenance will be mediocre at best and there will be no spare parts probably. What would you choose?! All guns will fail eventually but which ones do you think will last the longest?

Mosin pistol.