Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

ChuckMaster posted:

What's the best thing to shoot a raccoon with?

I have four of the bastards that sneak around my house, and I'm worried about my outdoor cat that refuses to step inside (she never has.)

I'm not always going to remember to bring her dish in, and the little fuckers have gotten so bold as to just stare at me as I come running out in my underwear throwing rocks at them.

I'm looking for something small that won't cause a lot of collateral damage. Even something as small as an air rifle may do the trick.

It doesn't have to go far or be accurate. I could literally open up the front door and pet one.

And my follow up question: What's the best use of a dead raccoon?

A 22 would do just fine. Make sure it is legal to discharge firearms in your area though. Also the best use of dead raccoons is coonskin caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackknight5k
Oct 22, 2008

ChuckMaster posted:

And my follow up question: What's the best use of a dead raccoon?

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zracoon.html

ChuckMaster
Jul 13, 2006

Evil baby bunnies cannot be fed solid food until after the first week.

Black Stormy posted:

A 22 would do just fine. Make sure it is legal to discharge firearms in your area though. Also the best use of dead raccoons is coonskin caps.

It would not be legal to discharge a firearm in my area. However, the neighborhood tends to have a "I won't tell if you won't" policy. I may even be able to borrow one from my neighbor, I'm pretty certain he has at least one.

I also have to worry about hitting my car. I'd move it, but it also acts as the cat's shelter in case of rain/predators.

I'd be shooting into pavement, concrete or open dirt, depending on where the target's sitting. Bouncing/errant projectiles is my biggest concern.

What does raccoon meat taste like?

blackknight5k
Oct 22, 2008

ChuckMaster posted:

It would not be legal to discharge a firearm in my area. However, the neighborhood tends to have a "I won't tell if you won't" policy. I may even be able to borrow one from my neighbor, I'm pretty certain he has at least one.

I also have to worry about hitting my car. I'd move it, but it also acts as the cat's shelter in case of rain/predators.

I'd be shooting into pavement, concrete or open dirt, depending on where the target's sitting. Bouncing/errant projectiles is my biggest concern.

If it's illegal to discharge a firearm in your area, I wouldn't risk it. Find out what the legal definition of a firearm is in your area. For example, in my county it's anything that shoots a projectile over 600 fps

Check out http://www.amlegal.com/ - they may have your local municipalities regulations.

EDIT - i forgot to finish my thoughts - then buy something that fires a projectile less than the definition. Alternatively, I've found that crossbows, slingshots, and bows are not prohibited by most local municipalities.

ChuckMaster posted:

What does raccoon meat taste like?

No idea, try it and report back!

blackknight5k fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 30, 2010

ChuckMaster
Jul 13, 2006

blackknight5k posted:

EDIT - i forgot to finish my thoughts - then buy something that fires a projectile less than the definition. Alternatively, I've found that crossbows, slingshots, and bows are not prohibited by most local municipalities.

Ok, well... I've found the ordinance:

The use or discharge of any rifle, revolver, shotgun, air gun, slingshot, beanie, or any implement which impels by force any object of any kind, is prohibited within the limits of the Municipality.

So apparently throwing a rock at the thing is the only legal way to do it. However, as a neighborhood we tend to over look certain things, such as fire works and shooting a fox.

And what the gently caress is a beanie? Other than a hat?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

You realize of course that if you continue to leave cat food outside you're just going to have another raccoon pretty much as soon as the first one's body is cold, right?

Seriously, they love that poo poo. People who live trap them use cat food as bait to lure them into the traps. It's like crack for them.

As long as you continue to leave catfood outside you're going to have a really bad raccoon problem, no matter how many of them you kill.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ChuckMaster posted:

Ok, well... I've found the ordinance:

The use or discharge of any rifle, revolver, shotgun, air gun, slingshot, beanie, or any implement which impels by force any object of any kind, is prohibited within the limits of the Municipality.

So apparently throwing a rock at the thing is the only legal way to do it. However, as a neighborhood we tend to over look certain things, such as fire works and shooting a fox.

And what the gently caress is a beanie? Other than a hat?

Beanbag round. Ask a local boyscout about making a deadfall. Figure-four trigger over top of the cat's food bowl. Raccoon tastes like what it's been eating. In the city, that's trash. In the woods, it's berries (and insects). If you decide you're not going to eat it, traps or poison work very well for one, not so well for two or more (raccoons are smart).

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Spear them. Try sneaking up on one of them and just impale it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

You realize of course that if you continue to leave cat food outside you're just going to have another raccoon pretty much as soon as the first one's body is cold, right?

Seriously, they love that poo poo. People who live trap them use cat food as bait to lure them into the traps. It's like crack for them.

As long as you continue to leave catfood outside you're going to have a really bad raccoon problem, no matter how many of them you kill.

Those fookin prawns eh?

ChuckMaster
Jul 13, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I realize, but I keep forgetting. It'll take a few weeks for my aging brain to make it a daily habit.

What concerns me is the particular boldness of them, as if they've lost their fear of people completely. One raccoon doesn't bother me, a gang of four does.

Secret Ooze posted:

Spear them. Try sneaking up on one of them and just impale it.

Sneaking up won't be an issue. I've already beaned one in the head with my sandal and it took him a moment to realize he should leave.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

ChuckMaster posted:

I realize, but I keep forgetting. It'll take a few weeks for my aging brain to make it a daily habit.

What concerns me is the particular boldness of them, as if they've lost their fear of people completely. One raccoon doesn't bother me, a gang of four does.

Sneaking up won't be an issue. I've already beaned one in the head with my sandal and it took him a moment to realize he should leave.

Once an animal associates humans with steady food supplies they tend to lose their fear of them.

This goes for Raccoons, birds, squirrels, rats etc the same as it does with bears.

Seriously, not leaving catfood outside will eliminate almost all of your problems.

El Jorge
Feb 26, 2006

A spiritus dominatus,
Domine, libra nos,
From the lighting and the tempest,
Our Emperor, deliver us.

A morte perpetua,
Domine, libra nos.

I really wouldn't advise hitting it with your sandal. Ever. At all. Raccoons are vicious little bitches that carry rabies. When I've killed them or seen then killed, it involved .357 Magnum Hydra Shoks. The only real melee weapons I've seen used effectively were a Louisville Slugger being swung full force (instantly obliterated the skull so it was a clean kill) and a M1943 machete. Surprisingly, the raccoon would spasm and kick even after the .357 punched straight through its orbital socket and out of the back of its head. The rare times the baseball bat and machete were used though were times of absolute dire need. Even though i absolutely loving despise raccoons, my friends and i took extra caution to make sure they died cleanly, even when we decapitated one that was larger than a lot of dogs and had broken into a basement were there were children present. In short, gently caress raccoons hard.

To get rid of them, eliminate the food. Call Animal Services and have traps set up or if you feel comfortable do it yourself. If you're absolutely sure that you need to kill it, a .22 will work with shot placement. If you dont mind dirty work, something like a heavy sledge brought down on the raccoon's cranium or neck will kill it outright. Be careful though and make sure to kill as quickly and cleanly as possible. It makes you a special kind of dick to let even vermin suffer.

ChuckMaster
Jul 13, 2006

Thanks for the advice.

Looks like I'll just have to set up a timer to remind me to bring her dish in. Though I should get a bat in case melee combat seems unavoidable.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Oh, pretty, pretty, Blue Bongo!
Bongo-Bongo Blue!! Yah!

This is a perfect excuse to buy one of those Cold Steel spears like whut I seen in them Bushman pictures.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

spankmeister posted:

Those fookin prawns eh?

I like this post a lot.

I like you a lot.

Even if you went nomad on us

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lipstick Apathy

iyaayas01 posted:

Didn't grow up there but went to school there for four years and have quite a few friends from the state. Iowa is a shall issue state as of 1 January 2011...I won't go into the bastardized county by county shall/may/no issue system that they had in place before, but yeah...the new law is far better. I don't know the specific law on open carry, but it isn't exactly common and is probably illegal in practice in the larger municipalities ("disturbing the peace" or some such). The state has preemption, so the gun haters in the Des Moines or Ames or Iowa City local governments can't restrict firearms further than state law. One of the big negatives is that NFA goodies are restricted to military/LE, so pretty much a no go for joe schmoe. There is a permit to purchase requirement, but I don't believe it's too difficult to acquire (I didn't have to screw around with this because I was never an Iowa resident, so I never bought any handguns in the state.) Beyond the permit to purchase, there aren't any requirements on purchasing beyond the federal requirements.

Overall the state is pretty gun friendly...like I mentioned above, some of the larger towns (Iowa doesn't have cities), particularly college towns like Ames and Iowa City, can be a little gun unfriendly, but the state in general has a pretty strong shooting/hunting culture. It's tilted somewhat in the hunting direction, but it's not like the state is full of nothing but "fill the magazine once in September, shoot two sighting rounds and use the other three for deer" fudds. Unless you have an absolute hard on for open carry and/or you think that getting a little piece of paper to purchase a handgun is a crime against humanity, moving to Iowa shouldn't be too much of a change over N.H., especially on 1 Jan when the new shall issue law goes into effect.

Excellent. The Shall Issue law will make a lovely birthday present for me if I go back that way. I've never open carried but I do conceal, so the sticky open carry situation doesn't bother me too much. The permit to purchase kind of chaps my rear end on principal (can I get around it with a CCW? I'll have to look into that). I grew up in N.W. Iowa and I'm very familiar with the hunting culture out that way. I would have figured the most anti-gun places would be Ames/Des Moines/Iowa City, but I wouldn't be living in any towns. Thanks for the info!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Racoons are like large evil super smart cats with hands and rabies.

Use caution. I once had one run at me after fencing practice and I chased it across the entire property screaming with an epee. I hope someone saw that happen.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

I like this post a lot.

I like you a lot.
Dawww thanks.

In appreciation of your post, have one of your own gifs:

quote:

Even if you went nomad on us

I'm still rocking my SAMCRO cut sweater on the homefront.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

I was out in Lancaster County again before the big storm blew in, trimming hooves on this Mennonite farm. The parlor was kind of a mess so I took a broom and started de-cobwebbing the areas around the stanchions, and found this up in rafters.

A Fegely Arms Company 12 gauge single barrel shotgun. A google search has revealed nothing. Locks up tight, has a nice rusty finish, and functions. The fella who owned the place had no idea thatthe shotgun was up there so he gave me that for free and some odd bits of 1919A4 Browning stuff that every Amish/Mennonite farm seems to have.

My best guess is that the Fegely is something imported by Crescent Arms. Anyone ever heard of Fegely?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

You are the god drat indiana jones of guns. Please tell me when you grabbed the gun a large boulder chased you?

It seems worth it to offer my services on various farms in the area, and search the corners of their barn in my spare time, i could make a killing.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Harry in Rio posted:

I was out in Lancaster County again before the big storm blew in, trimming hooves on this Mennonite farm. The parlor was kind of a mess so I took a broom and started de-cobwebbing the areas around the stanchions, and found this up in rafters.

A Fegely Arms Company 12 gauge single barrel shotgun. A google search has revealed nothing. Locks up tight, has a nice rusty finish, and functions. The fella who owned the place had no idea thatthe shotgun was up there so he gave me that for free and some odd bits of 1919A4 Browning stuff that every Amish/Mennonite farm seems to have.

My best guess is that the Fegely is something imported by Crescent Arms. Anyone ever heard of Fegely?

I read that as fecalarms co.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Ok so I was idly looking at Airsoft poo poo, wondering, does it fit real ARs? stocks and grips and so forth.

that's my first question.

My second question occured to me when I saw this

http://www.ebairsoft.com/aabb-vltor-style-lower-receiver-black-p-2946.html

It looks an awful lot like a real lower, could you slap an LPK and an upper and whatnot on that and have it actually work? The lower takes gently caress all pressure in an AR right?

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 1, 2010

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

gimpsuitjones posted:

It looks an awful lot like a real lower, could you slap an LPK and an upper and whatnot on that and have it actually work? The lower takes gently caress all pressure in an AR right?
Maybe. A big batch of airsoft rifles was seized by customs in the US not long ago because they were determined to be firearms. The company must make some effort to make them incompatible with real parts to even think about importation into the US, but they don't try hard. The only thing stopping the confiscated models from being completely identical to real lowers is that they're something like an eighth-inch shorter, so you need a narrow-than-normal replacement for the pivot pin to hold it to a real upper.

Other manufacturers might shift the pinholes a few millimeters though, which would spoil the whole operation. Either way it's not a long-term solution since you'll end up jury rigging it together with no guarantee that it can handle the not-exactly-zero force a lower receives.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

It don't matter how many you kill in the racoon city.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Harry in Rio posted:

and some odd bits of 1919A4 Browning stuff that every Amish/Mennonite farm seems to have.

Wanna hear more about this.

Chemical Halo
Nov 6, 2002

Resident Tequila Aficionado

Harry in Rio posted:

Is that a stripped A4 bolt? That is a weird thing to find.
Checked my Flayderman's guide for Fegely with no listing. Neat wall-hanger for sure, should clean up a bit too. No other markings on it?

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Is Smart Reloader a terrible brand for reloading? They've got some relatively inexpensive, on-sale items at CDNN right now.

Would this turn into a case of "buy cheap, buy twice," where the twice you buy is the new health insurance to cover the cost of missing body parts?

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Chemical Halo posted:

Is that a stripped A4 bolt? That is a weird thing to find.
Checked my Flayderman's guide for Fegely with no listing. Neat wall-hanger for sure, should clean up a bit too. No other markings on it?

No other markings whatsoever.

Yes, thats an A4 bolt, firing pin, barrel and barrel extension.

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

SadWhaleFamily posted:

Is Smart Reloader a terrible brand for reloading? They've got some relatively inexpensive, on-sale items at CDNN right now.

Would this turn into a case of "buy cheap, buy twice," where the twice you buy is the new health insurance to cover the cost of missing body parts?

Looks like one that I have, cant remember the brand. If its the same model/type, it has a short as poo poo AC cord and no on/off switch. Then again, I plug mine into a power-strip and turn them all on/off using that. Doesnt look too bad for $30

ETMPlus
Jul 28, 2008

You're going to be the Eleventh Commandment: 'Thou shalt not get away with it.'

Can anyone offer any advice on the Kel-Tec PMR-30? It seems like an awesome poorman's Five seveN, and in a fun caliber, but I really haven't seen any valuable reviews on it.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

22wmr costs like 5 times as much as 22lr. And I really doubt that the short barrel on the PMR-30 is effective for accelerating 22wmr to full speed.

For comparison:
50rnds of 22wmr: $10.95
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/50rds-22-mag-cci-maximag-40gr-solid-point-ammo/cName/22-magnum-wrf-solid-point

50rnds of 9mm: $10.95
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/50rds-9mm-tula-115gr-fmj-ammo/cName/9mm-fmj-ammo

(Yes I know, CCI vs Tula steel)

The only real cool feature of the pistol is the fact that they managed to get a double stack magazine for rimmed cartridges to feed reliably.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

kuffs posted:

The only real cool feature of the pistol is the fact that they managed to get a double stack magazine for rimmed cartridges to feed reliably.
On the other hand, has anyone actually seen it happen yet?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

I thought someone posted more conclusive videos a while back, but this is all I got when I went looking for tests:

A really boring looking subgun stage. Looks like he has a jam or a dud at 0:17.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwLiJ_uxg3g

More exciting stage, can't tell if he jammed or it's an awkward reload at 0:19ish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdHdVwjQWeo

And here's the semi-only production version. 3 Magazines in succession
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2KZMI-qNvY

Excedrin
Jun 24, 2002
The Headache Medicine

SadWhaleFamily posted:

I read somewhere that a specific SmartReloader press is made by Lee, someone else was saying that it's not, it's actually unlicensed Chinese copies of Lee designs. The same thread had someone else saying something along the lines of the ram being significantly smaller than the hole in the frame. So, probably yes.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=76123

Excedrin fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 1, 2010

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

SadWhaleFamily posted:

Yeah it's pretty bad. Their digital scales are annoying to use, always lose zero, don't weigh consistently. I have a tumbler of theirs and it suuuuuuuucks compared to my lyman turbo 1200 or whatever it is. The one that cost twice as much actually cleans things. The smartreloader doesn't. at all.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Excedrin posted:

I read somewhere that a specific SmartReloader press is made by Lee, someone else was saying that it's not, it's actually unlicensed Chinese copies of Lee designs. The same thread had someone else saying something along the lines of the ram being significantly smaller than the hole in the frame. So, probably yes.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=76123

ew copying lee that's.... low

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

These are probably painfully stupid questions, but please forgive my ignorance. I am not a gun-educated man.

I was doing some writing recently that involved firearms, and while touching on the subject of reloading various guns, I realized I didn't have the slightest clue how to describe the act of chambering a round in a rifle or SMG.

I did a bit of googling and wiki searching, but I'm still not sure I found the right terms.

So, here's my poor understanding, please correct me:

1) When reloading a fully empty pistol, you insert a magazine and 'rack the slide' to chamber the first round. Correct?

Here's where I get really fuzzy

2) When reloading a fully empty rifle, you insert a magazine and 'pull the charging handle' to chamber the first round. Is that correct?

This might seem incredibly minor, but I found myself frustrated by my inability to dig up the right terminology online.

I found a few (bad) videos on youtube that seemed to be only slapping the forward assist to chamber the round, but I thought you had to use the charging handle to chamber the initial round?

I realize there are a few other steps in a full reload or clearing a jam (slap magazine, pull handle, check chamber, release handle, tap assist), but boiling it down to the actual act of chambering the first round, is 'pulling the charging handle' the right phrase to use?

3) My third query would be submachineguns, do they chamber the first round in a different manner from rifles, or do they still use charging handles?

Again, forgive me if this seems a painfully stupid inquiry, or a little anal, I'm simply trying to be reasonably correct and accurate. I realize boiling the entire process of reloading down to a single phrase is inexact, but I'm not writing for a serious gun savvy audience - I just want to have my basic terminology somewhere in the vicinity of truthful!

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

victrix posted:

1) When reloading a fully empty pistol, you insert a magazine and 'rack the slide' to chamber the first round. Correct?

2) When reloading a fully empty rifle, you insert a magazine and 'pull the charging handle' to chamber the first round. Is that correct?

I found a few (bad) videos on youtube that seemed to be only slapping the forward assist to chamber the round, but I thought you had to use the charging handle to chamber the initial round?
You rack the slide or pull the charging handle to load a gun that's empty and unfired. If you just finished a magazine and inserted a new one, you can just hit the slide stop or bolt release. Submachine guns are generally the same as rifles.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

victrix posted:

Assuming the handgun has a slide, yes. Depending on the design they might not (Luger toggle action, Ruger Mk I/II/II blowback, etc).

victrix posted:

This might seem incredibly minor, but I found myself frustrated by my inability to dig up the right terminology online.

I'm assuming you're talking about an AR15 here. When the last round is fired, the follower in the magazine pushes up the bolt hold-open and the bolt is locked in the rearmost position. Then all the shooter has to do is insert a new magazine and slap the bolt release on the left side of the rifle which allows the bolt to move forward by the power of the compressed action spring in the stock. Using the forward assist is not required.
Other rifles (say, an AK for example) don't have an automatic bolt hold-open, so the shooter has to use the charging handle each time.

victrix posted:

3) My third query would be submachineguns, do they chamber the first round in a different manner from rifles, or do they still use charging handles?
For subguns using a closed-bolt action, yes. However, some subguns (and some larger machine guns too, for that matter) use an open-bolt action. In that case, the gun is ready to fire when the bolt is locked to the rear. When the trigger is pulled, it releases the bolt, which moves forward, stripping off a round from the magazine and chambering and firing it in one motion. The only time a round is in the chamber is if it's being fired. When the trigger is released, it forces the bolt to lock back.

You'll only see open-bolt actions in actual machine guns, not semi-autos because the ATF considers them to be too easy to convert to machine guns.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Hey it's far better to ask someone who knows, than to make it up and propagate stupid myths and stuff.

You're pretty right about both the pistol and the rifle, yes (I assume you're talking about a semi-auto or full-auto rifle, since on a bolt-action you'd be working the bolt after each shot). However what you're overlooking is a feature that most modern guns include: the bolt hold-open.

On an AR-15/M4/M16 pattern rifle, for instance, after the last round has been fired and the case ejected, the mag follower pushes up a little piece of steel that holds the bolt to the rear. Then, once a fresh mag is inserted, it's simply a matter of hitting the "bolt release," which pivots and moves the little piece of steel out of the way, allowing the bolt to snap forward, chamber a round and be ready to fire. Most infantry-style rifles have this feature. A noted exception is most AK-pattern rifles, where you do indeed have to work the charging handle after inserting a new mag.

On most modern pistols (Glock, Sig, HK, 1911s, pretty much everything), the same thing happens -- the follower of the empty mag actuates a little doodad that holds the slide to the rear. Then, when you insert a new mag, you can do one of two things. You can either hit the doodad out of the way with your right thumb, or grab the slide and "slingshot" it -- pull it back momentarily to let the slide stop move out of the way, and then let the slide snap forward, chambering a round and making it ready to fire.

Some submachine guns function basically like this, and some fire from an open bolt (basically, the act of the bolt closing is what causes the round to fire, not a hammer or anything like that). Thompsons, Uzis and Macs all fire from an open bolt, while full-auto AR-15 and AK pattern rifles fire from a closed bolt (each round is fired by the hammer hitting the firing pin which hits the primer). On an open-bolt subgun, you have to pull the charging handle to move the bolt to the rear, and then pulling the trigger sends it forward and fires a round.

Hope this helps.

ffff type too slow