Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

I havent personally owned a video game system or computer capable of playing any of the modern warfares but drat i wish i did.

I used to play the original call of duties on my PC at home those were dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Oh, pretty, pretty, Blue Bongo!
Bongo-Bongo Blue!! Yah!

Don't we have an actual video game thread? What is all this crap?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

The Sphinxster posted:

Don't we have an actual video game thread? What is all this crap?
Important gun-related discussion.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Oh, pretty, pretty, Blue Bongo!
Bongo-Bongo Blue!! Yah!

My mistake. Carry on!

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I havent personally owned a video game system or computer capable of playing any of the modern warfares but drat i wish i did.

I used to play the original call of duties on my PC at home those were dope.

CoD4 isn't too intensive, they've been using the same engine since CoD2 and even then it's just upgraded Quake 3. Hell, I ran CoD4 on the lowest settings on a computer that would occasionally chug on CoD2

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lipstick Apathy

Detective Thompson posted:

Has anyone any suggestions on where I can get a patch made? It seems a lot of the places online do bulk orders of patches, and I really only need one.

From a few pages ago, but if you were looking to stay somewhat local, Ben's in Amesbury MA handled very small orders of patches (read: 2 for a new uniform) from my previous employer. All custom work too. I can't tell you what they paid, but they got the work done quickly and it always looked good.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Is it me or is this thing built in a GBA SP case?

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

ArcMage posted:

Is it me or is this thing built in a GBA SP case?

No sense in letting those old molds go to waste.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

The junk collector posted:

No sense in letting those old molds go to waste.

This is a perfect post.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I have a question.

I only just discovered the "Jump to Last Post" button after nearly four years as a registered poster.

What should I shoot my computer with out of misplaced rage? I've been six or more browser windows/then tabs since I started this forum bullshittery.

Edit : Last read post I meant...so stupid...

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 7, 2010

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Go big or go home. 3" Magnum slugs. Don't warn the neighbors, it's funnier when they're surprised.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

What is the US military's standard 5.56 round? SS109 or M855 or M193 or something else? 55gr or 62gr?

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 7, 2010

vains
May 26, 2004

Fifty Three posted:

What is the US military's standard 5.56 round? SS109 or M855 or M193 or something else? 55gr or 62gr?

m855

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Veins McGee posted:

m855

To clarify further, the standard 5.56 ball (FMJ) round is the 62gr M855...the SS109 is the NATO designation for the same round. There are other 5.56 rounds out there that the military uses, with different projectiles, but M855/SS109 is still the standard 5.56 ball ammunition. However, the Army is in the process of adopting a round it's calling M855A1, which is basically supposed to be an improved lead free round that supposedly provides a whole host of good things, like better accuracy, more reliable performance, higher velocity, and I'm sure more "stoppin' powah."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there an ammoengine.com-type sight for shotgun ammo?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

spankmeister posted:

And the HLSD weapons from MW2 don't have a BUIS or something?

They do, you just can't fold them up. :downs:

Bob Morales posted:

https://gun-deals.com

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

I see what you did there.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Is there a small box-fitting reloading kit that doesnt involve hitting a live primer with a little hammer? I'm gonna be reloading ammo pretty soon but I dont have room or a suitable table for one of the big presses. I'm also not a fan of hitting stuff that explodes when hit with a hammer.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Is there a small box-fitting reloading kit that doesnt involve hitting a live primer with a little hammer?
Lee Hand Press + whatever dies for your caliber(s)

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Is there a small box-fitting reloading kit that doesnt involve hitting a live primer with a little hammer? I'm gonna be reloading ammo pretty soon but I dont have room or a suitable table for one of the big presses. I'm also not a fan of hitting stuff that explodes when hit with a hammer.

As uncle caveman mentioned, the lee hand press is pretty compact. If you really want to use a lee loader but without hammering the primer in, you could buy a hand priming tool like the lee auto prime.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Will the hand press use the little primer plunger thing from the Auto-Prime II system?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

It probably could, you'd also probably have to be careful about the orientation of the press lest some primers get flipped around or dropped. I'd just use the regular Auto Prime and use the hand press for your other operations.

I used the hand press for my first several hundred rifle rounds and it wasn't too bad. Definitely a good alternative for low-volume reloading when you want to be able to stash your whole reloading setup in a shoe box.

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

thermobollocks posted:

Will the hand press use the little primer plunger thing from the Auto-Prime II system?

It appears that it should. I picked up the hand press kit for my beginning reloading and it comes with a press top priming system, but does not have the primer tray. You have to put the primer in manually.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lipstick Apathy

My health care provider is sending me a check for $300. This means i should buy a Hawk 892 and $100 worth of shells, right?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Ozmiander posted:

My health care provider is sending me a check for $300. This means i should buy a Hawk 892 and $100 worth of shells, right?

Spend it on whores

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Ozmiander posted:

Wasn't there somebody on here with one of those that had the magazine end cap sheer off? Since you have 300 bucks I recommend shopping for a used 870 or a Mossberg 500 if you aren't dead set on the 870.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Ozmiander posted:

buy taste instead

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

I'm right handed but definitely left eye dominant. Do I try to compensate or just keep using my right eye?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lipstick Apathy

Gtab posted:

buy taste instead

I've heard you can't buy that :\

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

I'm cross dominant as well. I shoot pistols right handed and longarms left handed. I found that when I was trying to shoot left handed pistol, I would pick the gun up with my right hand and then awkwardly hand it to my right hand. Best to just shoot it right handed and hold it to the left.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

kuffs posted:

I'm cross dominant as well. I shoot pistols right handed and longarms left handed. I found that when I was trying to shoot left handed pistol, I would pick the gun up with my right hand and then awkwardly hand it to my right hand. Best to just shoot it right handed and hold it to the left.

It's p. easy to compensate with pistols, I don't have a problem with that. However it is really awkward to tilt my head all the way right for scoped rifles.

ShaiHulud
Dec 31, 2007

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

However it is really awkward to tilt my head all the way right for scoped rifles.

Why would you do that? Scoped rifles are probably the most cross-dominant-friendly firearms. Put a piece of scotch tape over the left lens of your shooting glasses if you're worried about fatigue and keeping both eyes open. The only aspect of shooting that gave me trouble was wingshooting, but that was fixed with lots of practice.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

I am cross dominate(lefty, right eyed). I use rifles right handed and pistols left handed. With pistols I found just using my left eye is the best solution. I tried leaning over to use my right eye, but that sucked, and I tried just shooting right handed, but it felt to foreign.

Basically I am the highest of speed, lowest of drag operator because my transition to my secondary uses a whole different sighting system. :smug:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm a righty but my right eye sucks because I hosed it up when I was 15.

LavistaSays
Dec 25, 2005

Dick Diggler posted:

Wasn't there somebody on here with one of those that had the magazine end cap sheer off? Since you have 300 bucks I recommend shopping for a used 870 or a Mossberg 500 if you aren't dead set on the 870.

That was me. It was a "Pardner pump" 870 clone, I think from NEF? I don't remember exactly the model, it was my friends gun. Get the genuine article instead.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

LavistaSays posted:

That was me. It was a "Pardner pump" 870 clone, I think from NEF? I don't remember exactly the model, it was my friends gun. Get the genuine article instead.

if you want a cheap lovely shotgun buy a used mossberg. it'll probably still work.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Gewehr 43,
What did you end up using for carbon removal for your booster cone or flash hider or whatever MG part you had that was coated? Purple Power? If so, did it work?

I had a great experience with Simple Green a few years ago and now it's just not doing the trick. I don't know if the carbon I'm stripping is affecting it's effectiveness and I need to change it out or if the previous success was a fluke.

Related: I'm thinking hard about a commercial ultrasonic cleaning tank. A big one that I can put bolts and subgun barrels in etc. Anyone have experience with one? They're pricey but the idea of just stripping a gun down, dropping it in and coming back a few hours later to a completely clean gun or part without chemicals and manual scrubbing is very appealing.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Sten Freak posted:

Gewehr 43,
What did you end up using for carbon removal for your booster cone or flash hider or whatever MG part you had that was coated? Purple Power? If so, did it work?

I had a great experience with Simple Green a few years ago and now it's just not doing the trick. I don't know if the carbon I'm stripping is affecting it's effectiveness and I need to change it out or if the previous success was a fluke.

Related: I'm thinking hard about a commercial ultrasonic cleaning tank. A big one that I can put bolts and subgun barrels in etc. Anyone have experience with one? They're pricey but the idea of just stripping a gun down, dropping it in and coming back a few hours later to a completely clean gun or part without chemicals and manual scrubbing is very appealing.

I noticed that Midway or Cabelas had an ultrasonic cleaning tank for like $90 the other day. It was on the smaller side though as it was meant for cleaning brass. It supposedly held 200 .223 cases though.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Sten Freak posted:

Gewehr 43,

I used purple power and it didn't so much as dent the hardened, baked-on carbon you're talking about. I have no idea what will remove it, but if you find something let me know, eh? What purple power did do was strip the bake-on finish off the bolt carrier and bolt of my brand new Arsenal SGL31. :( Lesson learned, kids, don't soak your Saiga parts in purple power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

drat, sorry to hear that.

What I'm reading is the best thing for serious carbon build up is a bead blast doh. Ultrasonics do seem to work in some applications but are really bad for aluminum.

Here's a thread I came across which just happened to about a booster (1919).
http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsgarchive.cgi?read=568168

One guy mentions greasing them before they get fouled. Makes me wonder if my ported barrel had something on it which made the last cleaning easy, then I stripped it bare, reassembled leading to a much tougher situation now. I think I'm just going to use the scrape method and not let it get so bad next time.