Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Craptacular posted:

The official reasoning is because if they allow it, then everyone would have to have one to stay competitive. Same thing with micro red dots, etc. That said, if you're just shooting a local match odds are no one will care and the worst they'd do would be to put an asterisk or something by your name to denote the fact that you had nonstandard equipment.

Thats what I figured too, but I asked them, and I am going to have to remove it. It's not a huge deal, but the rule seems ridiculous. I guess that most people look at it as a game though, and not a training opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

That's because it IS a game. It's only training in the fact that the shooter is putting rounds downrange, so the more they do it the quicker and more accurate they'll get.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Black Stormy posted:

Thats what I figured too, but I asked them, and I am going to have to remove it. It's not a huge deal, but the rule seems ridiculous. I guess that most people look at it as a game though, and not a training opportunity.

If that's the case, you should have to grind that rail off there too, as you're getting a weight advantageby having that when others don't.

Get one of those laser recoil-spring assemblies (LaserMax?) and swap the laser diode out for a high-output LED or something. :v:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Craptacular posted:

That's because it IS a game. It's only training in the fact that the shooter is putting rounds downrange, so the more they do it the quicker and more accurate they'll get.

Wasn't the whole point of the IDPA to get away from the gamesmanship of the IPSC

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Craptacular posted:

It's more training than standing at a firing line shooting paper. At least there is moving and shooting from odd positions, plus strong/weakhand poo poo.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Wasn't the whole point of the IDPA to get away from the gamesmanship of the IPSC

That was a big part of it, yeah. I'm not saying that being a game is necessarily a bad thing, just that it's not the pure training exercise some die-hards try to make it out to be.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

It's only fair that if you want to use your light in a competition you ask them to not record your score. You can train all you want on your own time but when you compete, having a light gives advantages. You could just as easily say that you carry your gun with a red-dot as with a light, and I'm certain there are people out there who do, but I think we can all agree that that wouldn't be in the spirit of the competition.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

What should I be looking at in AK-47s? I'd like a cheaper just for shooting and I dont need tons of fancy poo poo like bayonets, just a gun with sights that fires well.

I'm hoping to find one locally and I read through the giant AK thread but I'm still not sure what specifically to look for.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Sylink posted:

What should I be looking at in AK-47s? I'd like a cheaper just for shooting and I dont need tons of fancy poo poo like bayonets, just a gun with sights that fires well.

I'm hoping to find one locally and I read through the giant AK thread but I'm still not sure what specifically to look for.

Sounds like you need a WASR-10. But find one with the double-stack magwell. WASR-10s were originally imported with a magwell that could only accept single-stack, 10-rd magazines, although they have been machined out by importers to accept double-stack mags.

I think they're still the budget AK that'll do what you're looking to do. AIM Surplus has a GP WASR-10/63 for $389.95

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

SadWhaleFamily posted:

Sounds like you need a WASR-10. But find one with the double-stack magwell. WASR-10s were originally imported with a magwell that could only accept single-stack, 10-rd magazines, although they have been machined out by importers to accept double-stack mags.

I think they're still the budget AK that'll do what you're looking to do. AIM Surplus has a GP WASR-10/63 for $389.95

Yep, the double stack WASR is perfect for just plinking and having fun at the range. It will shoot every time and put the round on target if you know how to shoot, what more could you want?

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

For all you lovely Golani Sporter owners out there (real Galil owners may not apply):

I am looking to get a scope/optics mounting option for my Golani. If it helps, mine is a GAL-serial gun. I have heard that the Golani dovetail for scope mounts isn't exactly IMI-spec, so maybe some mounts won't work?

Is this quick-release mount or this 30mm-ring mount compatible with the Golani?

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

So I'm over at Ammunition to Go because I need a case of 9mm for a training class. The Magtech 115gr is by far the cheapest at $172/1k, but is it fine to shoot with or is it dogshit?

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Drav posted:

So I'm over at Ammunition to Go because I need a case of 9mm for a training class. The Magtech 115gr is by far the cheapest at $172/1k, but is it fine to shoot with or is it dogshit?

You might find a better deal at gun-deals.com for 9mm Luger. As to Magtech specifically, it works fine for range use.

Also holy hell it's Drav; I've only heard of you in legend.

SadWhaleFamily fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 12, 2010

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

SadWhaleFamily posted:

You might find a better deal at [url="http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=9mm+Luger"gun-deals.com for 9mm Luger[/url]. As to Magtech specifically, it works fine for range use.

Also holy hell it's Drav; I've only heard of you in legend.

SA is still blocked at work but one kid is potty trained and the other is almost out of diapers now so I will probably be able to check in during the evenings.

I use Ammo to Go because I thought it was goon-owned. At least it was. That was a while ago though.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

SadWhaleFamily posted:

I wanted an AK for the same things, got a WASR-10, and am still happy with it years later. It has fired literally every single time, I cleaned it once 3-4 years ago, and we're approaching 5-digit round count at this point. It'll hit a dinner plate at 200 yards. If you want better'n that, well, you're gonna have to spend more money. But I'm a satisfied WASR-10 owner.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I cant see for poo poo beyond 200 yards anyway. The WASR sounds good, thanks guys.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Drav posted:

Magtech isn't the worst ammo I've ever shot, but it's nowhere near the best. I like Sellier & Bellot. Try here: https://surplusammo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_28&products_id=87

Schigolch
Apr 30, 2008

Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb, make thee?

Drav posted:

SA is still blocked at work but one kid is potty trained and the other is almost out of diapers now so I will probably be able to check in during the evenings.

I use Ammo to Go because I thought it was goon-owned. At least it was. That was a while ago though.

I don't know about that but they do frequently have the best prices, and when i did order from them they were very prompt.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Drav posted:

hello my love.

magtech works fine enough but it's extraordinarily loving dirty. at least, their .45ACP is.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

Schigolch posted:

I don't know about that but they do frequently have the best prices, and when i did order from them they were very prompt.

Does no one else remember Uncle Kracker? Wasn't that the guy?

And hey baby. I hope you're American now. I still can't eat maple syrup because of you.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Come on, no Drav's wife jokes yet? I am ashamed. Or have we just gone that gay that we can't make that joke anymore?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Black Stormy posted:

Come on, no Drav's wife jokes yet? I am ashamed. Or have we just gone that gay that we can't make that joke anymore?

Funster's gone so no need to beat that dead horse anymore.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Craptacular posted:

That's not a very nice thing to say!

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

It was always TF's joke with Drav. It's a sacred bond between the two of them, and Drav's wife.

Craptacular posted:

what did she ever do to you, drat man, that's ice cold

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

Craptacular posted:

Hahahaha. Where did TF go?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Drav posted:

Lincoln's Wax got tired of him trolling people and "trained him." He's still on SA but not allowed in TFR, to read or post.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Drav posted:

We are hidden to his eyes. It is truly a time of peace.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Do we still have a "Title II/NFA/whateverthefuck" thread? I just realized I now have a permanent residence in a county whose sheriff will sign a Form I...

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Fifty Three posted:

Do we still have a "Title II/NFA/whateverthefuck" thread? I just realized I now have a permanent residence in a county whose sheriff will sign a Form I...
Craptacular, G43, Sten Freak, and other various stamp collectors will help you if you just post here, I'm sure.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Drav posted:

Oh man you have been gone a while.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Fang posted:

This, plus more syllables = more THE TACTICAL. "Making movement" has four syllables, but "moving" only has two. "Weapon system," at four syllables, has four times the THE TACTICALITY of "gun." "Engage" has only twice the syllables of "shoot," but it does tacitly acknowledge THE TACTICAL's view of actually hitting the target as an optional bonus.

Note that more syllables is not the only metric of THE TACTICALity. Often, THE TACTICAL terminology will prefer a word or phrase that is more concise; e.g. "urban prone" instead of "rollover prone." Where THE TACTICAL is concerned, it's alright to sacrifice precious syllables if the choice reduces the amount of information that is conveyed per syllable. Current Tier One operators in the sandbox are said to be able to lecture forcefully for five minutes without communicating any information at all, a skill that gives a crucial edge to the modern warfighter in dynamic CQB engagement situational scenarios.

The dynamics of the operational considerations in the choice of a weapons system makes it a subject so difficult to compehend that the instructor needs to translate it to the student. This communication takes place in a dynamic live-fire exercise involving active shooters and transitional drills between the operator's primary and secondary weapons systems that all have been utilized during the course of fire.

I bet I could say that whole thing with 1/2 as many characters using contrived acronyms alone.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Kommienzuspadt posted:

The dynamics of the operational considerations in the choice of a weapons system makes it a subject so difficult to compehend that the instructor needs to translate it to the student. (52) This communication takes place in a dynamic live-fire exercise involving active shooters and transitional drills between the operator's primary and secondary weapons systems that all have been utilized during the course of fire (61).

I bet I could say that whole thing with 1/2 as many characters using contrived acronyms alone.

Choose guns that work for you (6). Practice with your guns, and practice with multiple guns when you are shooting (18).

24 syllables to your 113

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 12, 2010

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Several NFA-related questions:

1. How do I start the process of turning my AR into an SBR? I have a nearby sheriff who'll sign it (I hope).

B. Where do/should I get it engraved?

D. What information has to be on the engraving?

3. Is it a good or bad idea to create an SBR now but actually buy the short upper down the road?

6. Is taking an SBR into another county a bad idea? My parents' home is in Lawrance County but the Sheriff hates NFA stuff. I'm currently a resident of Centre County, however. :)

4. Anything else I should know or consider before pulling the trigger?

Thanks in advance dudes. :3:

ShaiHulud
Dec 31, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

Several NFA-related questions:

This thread gives you an overview of the process. Get the lower receiver engraved first so if the engraver screws up you won't need to amend your NFA paperwork. You can have the engraving done by anyone with an engraving machine and you can have it done at any time (I just took another AK74 flat to the mall kiosk that does watch engraving and such, and don't plan to bend the flat or make another SBR any time soon). Traveling within the state is not a problem. Bookmark and read through the ATF NFA handbook to make sure you fully understand the federal requirements.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone know if the adventures of Clive the Colt .45 were put up anywhere other than the now-archived thread?

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Because i am nice and also bored, i copied the images from the archived thread for you.

https://wi.somethingawful.com/c3/c37ab1edea3bd4614588efe6b61f084eb23c3448.jpg

https://wi.somethingawful.com/d7/d7269243aa4f7d5514bb27facf18a8294ecf9adc.jpg

https://wi.somethingawful.com/8f/8f1f23c17c5d2bff4e685dcd25642a15bfcf082f.jpg

https://wi.somethingawful.com/27/27053861bf77b73fcd95c4214e8e219586e5edda.jpg

https://wi.somethingawful.com/b2/b2a0594f54e35478396a4f64f4c95e2a598bd189.jpg

https://wi.somethingawful.com/e8/e8c13feb31fdb816c2b0a115221cf4a0acdb3544.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/312k612.jpg

http://i32.tinypic.com/lv9g6.jpg

https://wi.somethingawful.com/2a/2a22739937a325d21d748ab4f09f446931cbde9a.jpg

https://wi.somethingawful.com/15/1537dd0b6abc8b3fe03f4e6a6a23549c335fe24f.jpg

Linked so it won't break this thread.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thank you, I appreciate it.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Is there any unmagnified red dot sight that can be mounted in a 30mm scope ring mount?

It's like I'm trying to dodge the tactical as much as possible by avoiding rail mounting but it seems I am trying my hand at retardation.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

SadWhaleFamily posted:

Is there any unmagnified red dot sight that can be mounted in a 30mm scope ring mount?

It's like I'm trying to dodge the tactical as much as possible by avoiding rail mounting but it seems I am trying my hand at retardation.

The aimpoint this guy is selling should do that: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3109845&pagenumber=42#post383100250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Aimpoint Comp M2 & M3 series (as well as the 9000 series) have 30mm tubes. How stable they'd be would depend on the quality of the scope ring.

e: There's also the Primary Arms Aimpoint clones