Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cavalri
Nov 23, 2002

... I didn't think so

Grimey Drawer

Any suggestions for some good night sights for a Glock 17? I'm looking at some Trijicon ones at the moment, but I'm wondering if there are some lesser known brands that may be good.

Also how easy/hard is it to install them yourself vs. taking them to an armorer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

cavalri posted:

Any suggestions for some good night sights for a Glock 17? I'm looking at some Trijicon ones at the moment, but I'm wondering if there are some lesser known brands that may be good.

Also how easy/hard is it to install them yourself vs. taking them to an armorer?

I have two lamp Sevigny's on my 19 and they are the cat's rear end. I installed them myself, but if you don't feel comfortable taking a file and a punch and hammer to your new sights, have it done. It shouldn't cost that much.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus

Yams Fan

I went to the range yesterday to rent and shoot some .22 because I am a moron and my first (read: any) guns were not .22s and my accuracy sucks. I tried out the Sig Mosquito, which had very nice ergonomics but an awful trigger. I don't know if this is emblematic of the gun in general, or just that specific one. Range guns aren't known for being that well maintained.

When I turned it in, the guy at the range counter also said they aren't really the best for accuracy either. (Not that I would be able to tell :v: ) What's the TFR general consensus on the mosquito? I assume it isn't that highly regarded since it doesn't come up that often in the .22LR thread.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

It's a gun made by GSG, who is not highly regarded around here, licensing the Sig name. GSG makes the pot-metal airsoft quality plinker .22 MP5 clones, and some horribly lovely AK pattern .22s. The mosquito is better than this, but... it's still the same company making it.
For a sig .22 handgun, look into a 226 or 229 with a conversion slide/mag.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus

Yams Fan

Well that explains why they don't seem to command the $sig price. Thanks.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

The trigger is pretty awful alright, not limited to range guns.

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006

Giant Isopod posted:

When I turned it in, the guy at the range counter also said they aren't really the best for accuracy either. (Not that I would be able to tell :v: ) What's the TFR general consensus on the mosquito? I assume it isn't that highly regarded since it doesn't come up that often in the .22LR thread.

Its a pretty finicky gun. Alas, its my first gun ever so not a great experience. Picky with ammo (will only fire 40gr ammo that I've tried so far, I dunno what the hell grains are but if it says 40gr it seems to be okay with it) and, the damnedest thing, a random spring jumped out of it when I field stripped it for the first time. Having borrowed a friends Kimber Custom II and his tricked out Glock something or other (19 I think) I'd have to say the trigger pull on the brand new stock Mosquito I got is vastly inferior.

On the plus side, it did teach me how to 1) deal with failure to eject, 2) deal with failure to fire, 3) really work on the trigger squeeze.

I've no idea how the accuracy is as I'm brand new to shooting so I'm sure the bullet holes all over the paper are my fault rather than the guns.

Edit: Actually this was supposed to be a question that kind of turned into a rant about the Mosquito.

How do I properly dispose of rounds that fail to fire? I've got about 10 of them I tried to fire about 3 times each before I decided what I was doing was stupid and I should probably not try to fire them anymore. I'm assuming I can't just throw them in the trash.

Sivlan fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 15, 2010

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

Sivlan posted:

Its a pretty finicky gun. Alas, its my first gun ever so not a great experience. Picky with ammo (will only fire 40gr ammo that I've tried so far, I dunno what the hell grains are but if it says 40gr it seems to be okay with it) and, the damnedest thing, a random spring jumped out of it when I field stripped it for the first time. Having borrowed a friends Kimber Custom II and his tricked out Glock something or other (19 I think) I'd have to say the trigger pull on the brand new stock Mosquito I got is vastly inferior.

On the plus side, it did teach me how to 1) deal with failure to eject, 2) deal with failure to fire, 3) really work on the trigger squeeze.

I've no idea how the accuracy is as I'm brand new to shooting so I'm sure the bullet holes all over the paper are my fault rather than the guns.

Edit: Actually this was supposed to be a question that kind of turned into a rant about the Mosquito.

How do I properly dispose of rounds that fail to fire? I've got about 10 of them I tried to fire about 3 times each before I decided what I was doing was stupid and I should probably not try to fire them anymore. I'm assuming I can't just throw them in the trash.

I throw them downrange [.22 duds, not the Mosquito, although...].

As for the Mosquito, I remember when it came out it being horribly unreliable with some of the symptoms that you've mentioned. I'm not sure if they ever improved it, I just made a mental note to stay away.

Ingo Pech
Oct 1, 2010

Hi TFR,
For my halloween costume, I need a rather large pair of boots (like size 15Ws) and cheaply. I figured you dudes might know, any ideas on where I can find these?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Mosquitos with a serial starting with F or higher have had some improvements done to them. Ones with <F serials seem to sell for less a this has become public knowledge.

Try running only hot ammo like Minimags for the first couple hundred rounds.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Fifty Three posted:

Is it as awesome as I was hoping it is?

It's a really fun and entertaining movie. It won't win an Oscar, unless they make an Oscar for Best Film Which Is Humorous And Action-Filled And Has John Malkovich Playing Himself With Guns

Then it would be a guaranteed winner for the next ten years

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lipstick Apathy

Ingo Pech posted:

Hi TFR,
For my halloween costume, I need a rather large pair of boots (like size 15Ws) and cheaply. I figured you dudes might know, any ideas on where I can find these?

What kind of boots? If you're looking for tactilol "operator" style boots, Galls has a duty boot in 15W, but they're not that cheap. Like $55, but they're decent quality.

edit: vvvv yeah, Army/Navy surplus store might work too vvvv

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 15, 2010

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Ingo Pech posted:

Hi TFR,

Thrift store?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Gtab posted:

It's a really fun and entertaining movie. It won't win an Oscar, unless they make an Oscar for Best Film Which Is Humorous And Action-Filled And Has John Malkovich Playing Himself With Guns

Then it would be a guaranteed winner for the next ten years

I wouldn't even consider going to see it if Warren Ellis hadn't given the project his blessing. God that book was awesome.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

I like turtles posted:

I wouldn't even consider going to see it if Warren Ellis hadn't given the project his blessing. God that book was awesome.

Following Ellis on Twitter for a couple months made me lose any fondness for the man I had. He is the worst gibbis stereotypes.

He tweeted about SHUT YOUR CROTCHSPAWN/BIRTHLINGS/PEJORATIVE BABY NAME UP, PARENTS like every other day, and when he did, he'd get into conversations with fawning fans about how much parents with kids in public are a plague and so on and so forth and other goony loving poo poo.

Can't stand the guy now. He writes/wrote good comics but I just can't tolerate the dude anymore.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Giant Isopod posted:

I went to the range yesterday to rent and shoot some .22 because I am a moron and my first (read: any) guns were not .22s and my accuracy sucks. I tried out the Sig Mosquito, which had very nice ergonomics but an awful trigger. I don't know if this is emblematic of the gun in general, or just that specific one. Range guns aren't known for being that well maintained.

It looks like Sig Mosquitos tend to cost about as much as a buckmark. If you aren't looking to spend enough for a S&W 41 and you want a dedicated .22 rather than a conversion slide, get the buckmark. It has a great trigger, should be plenty accurate, although I am not a good enough shot to tell you for sure, and half of TFR owns one. If you have a problem they can probably tell you how to fix it.

One thing to remember with .22s is that they vary in what ammunition they like. For example, my buckmark treats minimags only slightly better than thunderbolts, but it absolutely loves golden bullets. Yes, Remington golden bullets, the cheap crappy ones.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Have you called in a priest to repel the evil spirits from your gun.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Ingo Pech posted:

Hi TFR,

here's some cheap lovely ones I've seen on other sites as well for like $20

Black
Green

I spent monnnnths looking for proper boots in size 18EEEs at any price :v: Oakley laughed at me on the phone, literally. No one at SHOT could help me either, but eventually I spoke to Altama about it and they hooked me up with 17s at a huge discount and a bunch of free poo poo, too. Cool guys.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

hahahaha oh my god, you're a MONSTER

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lipstick Apathy

Gtab posted:

Black
Green

I spent monnnnths looking for proper boots in size 18EEEs at any price :v: Oakley laughed at me on the phone, literally. No one at SHOT could help me either, but eventually I spoke to Altama about it and they hooked me up with 17s at a huge discount and a bunch of free poo poo, too. Cool guys.

Goddamn son. I'll never insinuate to a woman I've got a decent dick because of my 13's. Holy poo poo.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus

Yams Fan

Gtab posted:

Black
Green

Well at least you can safely shoot .50 BMG and people will think twice before assuming you're overcompensating for something.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Things GunForumMeme wants in life:
A few close friends.
A fullfilling career.
The love of a woman.
Not to have to compete with Gtab for love of said woman.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lipstick Apathy

How do you guys keep your hands off gtab's cock long enough to type your posts?!

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

:allears:

Anyone know anything about phone-o-graphs? (Specifically needle/cartridges?)

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Ozmiander posted:

How do you guys keep your hands off gtab's cock long enough to type your posts?!
I don't type with my mouth.

Serious question: what major differences will I encounter firing 147gr. 9mm JHPs vs a lighter round?

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

So, I'm seriously thinking about adding a Witness Match to the pile of poo poo in the gun room.

Who has them for a decent price??

At first I wanted to go the 9mm route, but I may have convinced my dumbass self that I need the 10mm auto.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hey, I'm looking for some quality electronic ear-pro, preferably the kind that lets me hear normal stuff, and only blocks gunshots. Price isnt really an issue, so much as quality. Recommendations?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

GunForumMeme posted:

Serious question: what major differences will I encounter firing 147gr. 9mm JHPs vs a lighter round?

No major differences. Depending on the brand of ammo, you may feel a little more recoil with the heavier bullet, but it won't seem as sharp as the lighter bullets. If that makes any sense. It's not a huge difference though. The biggest thing is to make sure your gun reliably runs whatever weight bullet you're using, especially if it's self-defense ammo.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

I'm looking for a locking hard-shell rifle case between 27 and 36 inches long and 6 inches deep or less. Bonus points if it has provisions for cable-locking it to something. Anyone know of such a creature?

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Fang posted:

I'm looking for a locking hard-shell rifle case between 27 and 36 inches long and 6 inches deep or less. Bonus points if it has provisions for cable-locking it to something. Anyone know of such a creature?

Will this storm case work? It is 36 on the inside and 39 on the exterior.

http://www.stormcase.com/StormCaseSizes/StormiM3100.htm

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 16, 2010

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Bananana posted:

looking for some quality electronic ear-pro
These are pretty boss: http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1287257917&sr=8-1

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

NosmoKing posted:

So, I'm seriously thinking about adding a Witness Match to the pile of poo poo in the gun room.

Who has them for a decent price??

At first I wanted to go the 9mm route, but I may have convinced my dumbass self that I need the 10mm auto.

The 6" Witness Hunter in 10mm is mega cool, too. The obvious answer would be gunbroker simply for availability if Bud's or some other reputable online store doesn't have them.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

Atticus_1354 posted:

Will this storm case work? It is 36 on the inside and 39 on the exterior.

http://www.stormcase.com/StormCaseSizes/StormiM3100.htm

It's 6.7 inches deep, unfortunately.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Fang posted:

It's 6.7 inches deep, unfortunately.

What is it for and do those need to be exterior dimensions? That was the closest I could find.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Not bad looking, and the price sounds pretty darned good compared to what I was looking at.

Any other suggestions? Again, price isn't my main concern here, as much as quality and features of the product.

foghorn
Oct 8, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

The Bananana posted:

Not bad looking, and the price sounds pretty darned good compared to what I was looking at.

Any other suggestions? Again, price isn't my main concern here, as much as quality and features of the product.

I use those. I like those.

Only problem is that my ears get sweaty if you leave them on too long.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

foghorn posted:

I use those. I like those.

Only problem is that my ears get sweaty if you leave them on too long.

Will they fulfill my needs?

This might belong in the hunting thread/might not be achievable, but I want ear pro that lets me hear both my buddy and the surrounding environment while we're out hunting, but that still offers me the protectection I desire for my hearing. (gunshots are loud for my pussy ears.)

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah, they're perfect for that. I like to take mine out into the woods or the fields near my family's farm; it's amazing all the stuff you can hear.

daskrolator
Sep 11, 2001

sup.

Does the cz-75/85 line of pistols have a similar trigger pull to cz-82s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Hmm, are they capable of behind-the-head wear? Like this: