Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Ygolonac posted:

Hmm, are they capable of behind-the-head wear? Like this:

No. These are though http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97043-Tactical-Hearing-Protector/dp/B0000X6I5I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Are there any decent scope mounts for bolt action rifles that arent absurdly expensive?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

To answer your question with some questions: what kind of bolt-action rifle? Are you looking non-destructive for milsurp (in which case the answer is pony up for Ste. Marie and deal with it) or just some rings for a 700? Good rings are not too expensive because they're a fairly basic part. What qualifies as absurdly expensive?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I want some decent rings and a base for a remington 700 or a Howa 1500, but all the ones I've seen are like 80 or some poo poo.

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon

daskrolator posted:

Does the cz-75/85 line of pistols have a similar trigger pull to cz-82s?

I'm not sure because I've never shot a CZ-82 but you're welcome to try out the Semicompact and SP-01 if you want to shoot stuff sometime soon. They just gave me 68 extra hours of vacation out of fuckin nowhere :woop:

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I want some decent rings and a base for a remington 700 or a Howa 1500, but all the ones I've seen are like 80 or some poo poo.

well you live on the frigid isles of Moonlandia so I dont know how accurately we can gauge prices for you over there.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Most stuff here just seems to be the dollar price with the $ replaced with a . I think I can import scope rings and bases too.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Caveat: I have no idea how available/easy to get these would be in the UK/Europe

For separate rings & bases, I like the Warne Maxima series.

If being able to easily change scopes isn't a necessity, the Talley integral bases/rings are reportedly very nice.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Caveman posted:

Caveat: I have no idea how available/easy to get these would be in the UK/Europe

For separate rings & bases, I like the Warne Maxima series.

If being able to easily change scopes isn't a necessity, the Talley integral bases/rings are reportedly very nice.

If anything he wants isn't available to him, i'd be happy to order for him and send them over. Might even save a couple bucks with my dealer pricing :)

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

So I went on a powered paraglider flight today with a guy that is a mechanic as his day job. He has a sorta junkyard going, and I mentioned I liked guns.

Him: You wanna see a .50?
Me: Cool sure

Me: Umm.. that's not a .50. Do you know if it works?
Him: Eh, probably
Me: Oh, no, never mind, it has been demilled with this big hole in the breech:

Him: Huh, I never noticed that before.

Trying to figure out what this is, figure it is some sort of took pictures of the only markings I could find. Eyeballed the bore as ~40mm.
On the barrel:

Top left of the receiver:

Top right of the receiver:

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

I like turtles posted:

Trying to figure out what this is, figure it is some sort of took pictures of the only markings I could find. Eyeballed the bore as ~40mm.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/25_mm_Hotchkiss_anti-tank_gun
25 SA 37 - a derivative designed by the APX with a much lighter carriage.

http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/25mm.htm

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Sweet. I'm gonna offer him $300 as a yard decoration/restoration project if he wants to sell it.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Offer him $200. I'm sure it's heavy but it seems like it's just scrap metal to him, worth just a few cents per pound.

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

If you were somehow able to restore it to functioning condition, like patching up the receiver and everything, is it possible to register it legally?

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Dick Diggler posted:

If you were somehow able to restore it to functioning condition, like patching up the receiver and everything, is it possible to register it legally?
This has some info about it.
http://1919a4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35050

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ygolonac posted:

No, you'll have to sacrifice looking hip and happening to keep your hearing.

edit: oh hey look a new page. :downs:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Is an NRR of 22 really enough? The earplugs I usually use are a 26 in my ears according to the fancy hearing protection test rig at work. They're fine when it's just me shooting, but being a couple of lanes down from a guy with a K98k still seems borderline-dangerously loud. These are tempting, but not if I'd have to wear earplugs under them and defeat the whole purpose.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Well... I'm probably gonna be stupid and just buy these:

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-MT15H69FB-09-Com-Tac-II-Headset/dp/B0014ZYYKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1287322737&sr=8-1

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Most earplugs aren't really designed for impulse noises like shooting. I have a big box of plugs from harbor freight with a NRR of 29. The box says they aren't designed for impulses, but they seem to do fine. I've worn muffs that were rated at 26 I think, and while they didn't have the same rating, they did block out impulses much better it seemed. The ear canal is just the most direct path to your ear drums, sounds can still resonate through your skull. You can really feel the impulse if you shoot something big like .50, which kind of feels like a smack on the nose when you fire.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ygolonac posted:

Protip: put your hat on first, then your earpro. Problem solved.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

How does the scaling math work on doubling up hearing protection? Muffs @26 NRR + plugs @32 NRR = 58 NRR, or do you reach some arbitrary diminishing returns at some point and only get an extra 13 NRR from the muffs?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

I think you add 10 to the higher of the two. So 29NRR plugs and 24NRR muffs would be 39NRR together.

Jeff Gerber
Jul 22, 2007
Well it ain't soy sauce!

Ok, i just acquired three guns. A nylon 66, a Winchester 59 .22, and a Franchi 48 AL (i think), and i have some questions regarding maintenance/repairs.

Here is the Winchester.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I'm a terrible photographer, but the gun is in fair shape for being 80 years old.

No patches of rust on the metal, but it does not have a uniform finish. Not really a problem, and as it is somewhat of an antique collectible i don't think i'll be doing any refinishing.

The only problem with the gun is that the firing pin spring is pretty weak, so much so that it will sometimes fail to fire. I'm wondering if anyone can give me suggestions for finding a replacement. Could the firing pin spring for a model 64 be used? Should i take the bolt to a local gunsmith and just have them replace it for $$$?

The other gun i have a question about is the Franchi.

The internals look like they are in pretty good shape. I had it apart to check things out, and after a good cleaning i'm sure it will be good to go. However the stock is in bad need of refinishing.

And the barrel is a loving disaster.

I'm not really sure how to go about stripping the old varnish off in areas that are textured for grip. Obviously too much sanding will flatten that texture out, and i don't want that. The barrel is pitted all to hell, although the inside does not look bad, maybe a small patch of rust near the end. Can i hope to make this gun look less like a tragedy with some brass wool and some sort of cold blue? Does anyone know any good links pointing to someone that has done something similar?

I appreciate any help.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

DELETED posted:

Most earplugs aren't really designed for impulse noises like shooting. I have a big box of plugs from harbor freight with a NRR of 29. The box says they aren't designed for impulses, but they seem to do fine. I've worn muffs that were rated at 26 I think, and while they didn't have the same rating, they did block out impulses much better it seemed. The ear canal is just the most direct path to your ear drums, sounds can still resonate through your skull. You can really feel the impulse if you shoot something big like .50, which kind of feels like a smack on the nose when you fire.

In my experience, plugs are better for thing like being around heavy machinery and other constant loud noises, while the muffs are good for those sudden impulse noises like explosions and gun shots. Either are better than nothing though.

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

Mr_Person posted:

Is an NRR of 22 really enough? The earplugs I usually use are a 26 in my ears according to the fancy hearing protection test rig at work. They're fine when it's just me shooting, but being a couple of lanes down from a guy with a K98k still seems borderline-dangerously loud. These are tempting, but not if I'd have to wear earplugs under them and defeat the whole purpose.

Those muffs rated @ NR22 keep it quieter than my Academy branded NR30. I've mentioned it quite a few times but I think Leight's ratings are more accurate/honest than others.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So does anybody have any experience with the Peltor comtac 2's?

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

DELETED posted:

I think you add 10 to the higher of the two. So 29NRR plugs and 24NRR muffs would be 39NRR together.

That seems to me relatively simplistic. Is it something frustratingly logarithmic to arrive at the final answer?

gently caress if I know a goddamn thing about math, though.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

SadWhaleFamily posted:

That seems to me relatively simplistic. Is it something frustratingly logarithmic to arrive at the final answer?

gently caress if I know a goddamn thing about math, though.

http://www.coopersafety.com/NoiseReduction.aspx

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Cooper Safety posted:

When dual protectors are used, the combined NRR provides approximately 5 - 10 decibels more than the higher rated of the two devices.

Emphasis mine. They didn't show their work. :(

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Why do people put things into the trigger guard when taking photos of their guns to post on the Internet?

edit: vvv thank you.

frunksock fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 17, 2010

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

frunksock posted:

Why do people put things into the trigger guard when taking photos of their guns to post on the Internet?

To prop the gun up so it can be seen better. Also to annoy certain posters who hate when people do that.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

I use Pro-X's with foam in-ear plugs. I think the Pro-X's are 18db so the combination with foamies is absolutely required. However, since they amplify voices and other sounds, I can still hear people speaking normally, while the guy shooting his .460 in the indoor lane next to me doesn't bother me at all.

In short, I'd wear both.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Propagandalf posted:

How does the scaling math work on doubling up hearing protection? Muffs @26 NRR + plugs @32 NRR = 58 NRR, or do you reach some arbitrary diminishing returns at some point and only get an extra 13 NRR from the muffs?

If you look at it from a purely math perspective. 26dB + 26dB = 29dB. Every time you double in the linear scale, you add 3 in the dB (log) scale. Every time you go up an order of magnitude (move your decimal place) you add 10. So 36dB should reduce noise 10x more than 26dB. This is assuming that noise is a measure of power which I honestly don't know. If it is a measure of energy everything doubles i.e. 26dB + 26dB = 32dB and 36dB would be 20x more than 26dB.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

Has anyone with an M&P tried the Apex Tactical sear and striker block (here)? I want to improve the gritty lovely trigger on mine and this looks like the best/easiest way. Just wondering if anyone has any experience before I buy them.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

The junk collector posted:

If you look at it from a purely math perspective. 26dB + 26dB = 29dB. Every time you double in the linear scale, you add 3 in the dB (log) scale. Every time you go up an order of magnitude (move your decimal place) you add 10. So 36dB should reduce noise 10x more than 26dB. This is assuming that noise is a measure of power which I honestly don't know. If it is a measure of energy everything doubles i.e. 26dB + 26dB = 32dB and 36dB would be 20x more than 26dB.

:eng101:

From a purely math point of view, noise reduction applies multiplicatively, not additively. So wearing two 26 NRR devices corresponds to 26dB X 26dB = 52dB. Basically, you just add the values, since it's a logarithmic scale.

Of course, that's not how it actually works. At my best guess, that's partly because hearing protection isn't ideal (i.e. they don't provide uniform noise dampening across the entire dB scale) and partly because a portion of the sound is transmitted right through your skull.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The best part about measuring decibels is that it isn't really as precise as the +3=double. To be completely accurate you would have to say a certain decibel at a certain frequency, and even then I think it is more of a approximation than precise fit. I'm not a scientist, though.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Just shove some poo poo in your ear, if bullets going downrange still hurt your ear then shove more poo poo in/around your ear. It's really not that hard.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Ozmiander posted:

How do you guys keep your hands off gtab's cock long enough to type your posts?!

Fang posted:

It's 6.7 inches deep, unfortunately.

Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't skim pages so fast...

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lipstick Apathy

Totally TWISTED posted:

Just shove some poo poo in your ear, if bullets going downrange still hurt your ear then shove more poo poo in/around your ear. It's really not that hard.

Stop when it starts coming out the other end. That means you're ready shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't skim pages so fast...

Fang is way too classy to kiss and tell