Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.

Clapping Larry

I was there in the really early 90s, and I never had any trouble with the locals. The area is gorgeous and the MST 55 bus to Gilroy and then switching over to Caltrain will haul your rear end up to San Francisco for the weekend.

MST 55 Schedule and Route.

Caltrain Schedule and Route

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I was there in the really early 90s, and I never had any trouble with the locals. The area is gorgeous and the MST 55 bus to Gilroy and then switching over to Caltrain will haul your rear end up to San Francisco for the weekend.

MST 55 Schedule and Route.

Caltrain Schedule and Route

I do this every few weekends and it takes about 4 hours. Might be worth it to hop on the Monterey Airbus straight to SFO ($45 one-way) which is much more expensive but saves you a couple hours of time.

I haven't really seen too many people around town hate the military (speaking as an NPS civilian), I think too many people in the area rely on the military/US govt for their paychecks to really feel that strongly. You'll probably get some pushback from MIIS students but they're all pretty weird anyway.

SirEverlast
Apr 8, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer
Wild Guess #76
Captain “Digger” Boomerang

"The Golden Glider wasn’t th

quote:

Not to mention the MTL's at DLI make your life a living hell.

Seriously? As a soldier, I thought you guys had it easy.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Don't let him fool you: the worst part about the AF life here is not being able to smoke in uniform.

I just need to stay away from the dudes wearing cat ears trying to use gundam amine poo poo to hit on ugly bitches. Life will be much better when I get my Torino out here.

Edit: I was just asked to critique erotic fanart of Avatar: The Last Airbender I take it all back someone please loving kill me

RooskyRex
Aug 22, 2009

You only wish you had a trashcan like mine

Professor Bling posted:

Don't let him fool you: the worst part about the AF life here is not being able to smoke in uniform.

I don't know what MTL's they have there now then. However, being a non-smoker that never applied to me that said though there were plenty of smokers at the schoolhouses haha.

As for the Army, all the soldiers in my class agreed we had it pretty terrible. Although the Navy and Marines by far have it made at DLI... bastards.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod

I don't know about being here as IET. All I know is being here as prior service is the poo poo. I also lucked out and don't really have any weirdos in my class outside of that I never see or talk to anyone from DLI.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

My "Not Vincent Price" shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

Smellrose

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't think this true at all. I mean the Greenpeace clipboard jockeys at the farmers' market would give me dirty looks if I had fresh hair cut, or was in uniform, but everyone else there was nothing but polite and friendly. I loved Monterey.

Yeah, to get into the crazy :byodood: BABBYKILLRZ :byodood: types you have to visit Santa Cruz and hang around my old alma mater for a while. Although even there you run into plenty of people who tend not to give a poo poo. Hell, my Russian History professor used to do guest lectures at the Postgraduate School.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Professor Bling posted:

I just need to stay away from the dudes wearing cat ears trying to use gundam amine poo poo to hit on ugly bitches. Life will be much better when I get my Torino out here.

Edit: I was just asked to critique erotic fanart of Avatar: The Last Airbender I take it all back someone please loving kill me

Best Air Force smoking locations on DLI: (TOP SECRET)

On your way to to the store from the squadron (I forget the name cause I'm like 8 months out :smug:) just cut into the woods and head for the fence. You'll see a log that makes a great seat, surrounded by litter. You will most certainly find airmen sitting there pretending to not smoke. They are smoking and will give you a cig if you ask.

If you are ballsy: Walk past the navy smoke pit and take the sidewalk behind the navy building that faces the 311th squadron. You will see a drainage V thing that heads towards a drainage ditch running alongside the fence. Check the area next to the shed just ahead of you, that's the area where the MTL's hide and smoke. If you don't see anyone climb down the drainage thing (it's steepish) and then turn right and follow the drainage ditch along the fence line until it ends. Take refuge under the large oak tree so you can't be seen by anyone looking down from the navy smoke pit. Light up and enjoy nature.

There's a few more but those are the most central/easy to get at. Some areas of DLI have few options for the smoking airman.

As for the anime poo poo. . . sorry bro, DLI is full of that poo poo. Don't worry though, after you start your language everything gets so hectic you won't give a poo poo.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

So guys how does a college grad get into DLI?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Through a series of horrible mistakes.

TheUnhorse
Oct 28, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world

Kontradaz posted:

So guys how does a college grad get into DLI?

There are various routes; being an initial entry training service member with a cryptologic linguist MOS, being a Foreign Area Officer in training (This takes already being an officer and being in for at least 4-6 years just to be the right rank), or finnagling your way in through some other MOSs like Army SF, Navy SW, etc. or by marrying someone going to DLI and suckin' dicks to get in as a dependent civilian. Seen it twice actually, preference usually goes to FAO spouses but I have seen an enlistedman's fat gently caress wife kickin' around school.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?

Soiled Meat

Professor Bling posted:

This is funny cos I know several people who either had degrees and still went to DLI or were in ROTC, failed classes at college and ended up with a debt to the armed services and wound up at DLI.

Geniepolice
Feb 14, 2005

No wishes, only creepy

TheUnhorse posted:

There are various routes; being an initial entry training service member with a cryptologic linguist MOS, being a Foreign Area Officer in training (This takes already being an officer and being in for at least 4-6 years just to be the right rank), or finnagling your way in through some other MOSs like Army SF, Navy SW, etc. or by marrying someone going to DLI and suckin' dicks to get in as a dependent civilian. Seen it twice actually, preference usually goes to FAO spouses but I have seen an enlistedman's fat gently caress wife kickin' around school.

I thought the SF kids did their language stuff in house at Bragg.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.

Clapping Larry

Geniepolice posted:

I thought the SF kids did their language stuff in house at Bragg.

When I was there (early 90s) they had a bunch of them over in Echo Company.

TheUnhorse
Oct 28, 2010

It just depends and it's not part of the initial SF training pipeline. They go through a pretty rudimentary language course over at JFK though; not the best but good enough when you're probably going to have terps with you anyways.

Casimir Radon
Aug 1, 2008

Professor Bling posted:

GIP has taught me to be thankful for how "normal" the the 2E (3D) students I went to school with were. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

AchmedTheSnake
Apr 6, 2006
This title is clever.

Just got here a few days ago. Seriously what the gently caress kind of decision have I made? Although everything is chill as gently caress. Should have gone marine linguist instead of air force.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

You in 627? I'm the dude that walks around in that brown driver's cap and busted-rear end cowboy boots. Seriously, it's not horrible. Enjoy casuals while you can.

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

Professor Bling posted:

You in 627? I'm the dude that walks around in that brown driver's cap and busted-rear end cowboy boots. Seriously, it's not horrible. Enjoy casuals while you can.

Does your last name begin with a B by any chance?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Why, yes, it does.

Casimir Radon
Aug 1, 2008

Going to invite him over for Inuyasha and roofies?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Get rid of the Inuyasha and we have a party (what the gently caress is Inuyasha don't you dare answer that question).

Casimir Radon
Aug 1, 2008

Well it's......

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Holy gently caress! When did this happen?

Casimir Radon
Aug 1, 2008

11 April 2008. In other words if you meet someone named Jonathon Truss, run the gently caress away.

TheUnhorse
Oct 28, 2010

AchmedTheSnake posted:

Should have gone marine linguist instead of air force.

:laffo: This is the dumbest thing I have read on this entire website.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Casimir Radon posted:

11 April 2008. In other words if you meet someone named Jonathon Truss, run the gently caress away.

Jesus. 1 month after I left.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

The only bright spot of going to DLI is getting mega-cheap rooms at the NPS to gently caress your girlfriend/boyfriend on the weekends and order Pelican Pizza (who also deliver beer).

Otherwise, haha, whatta shithole (though it's only a day's drive to Vegas so take advantage of those four-day weekends, nerds).

Also, Compagno's.

AchmedTheSnake
Apr 6, 2006
This title is clever.

TheUnhorse posted:

:laffo: This is the dumbest thing I have read on this entire website.

Man, they get alcohol in their dorms and get all the drat freedom they want. I love being Air Force though.

627 guy, which floor are you on? I don't think I've seen you.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I'm third floor; you second?

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

The only bright spot of going to DLI is getting mega-cheap rooms at the NPS to gently caress your girlfriend/boyfriend on the weekends and order Pelican Pizza (who also deliver beer).

Otherwise, haha, whatta shithole (though it's only a day's drive to Vegas so take advantage of those four-day weekends, nerds).

Also, Compagno's.

I want someone to deliver me Compagnos across the country. Like in a dry-iced container or something.

TheUnhorse
Oct 28, 2010

ryan_woody posted:

I want someone to deliver me Compagnos across the country. Like in a dry-iced container or something.

How the gently caress will you shake Bennet's hand/stare him down?!

RooskyRex
Aug 22, 2009

AchmedTheSnake posted:

Man, they get alcohol in their dorms and get all the drat freedom they want. I love being Air Force though.

627 guy, which floor are you on? I don't think I've seen you.

Don't fail and go to Goodfellow as a phase graduate and you will have alcohol in your dorm.

Don't come to Elmendorf though, all the dorms are dry

RooskyRex
Aug 22, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

Also, Compagno's.

Unless AETC has changed their rules for the 50th time in 2 years, AF can't go unless it's class break or exodus.

EDIT: Then again that's only if you obey the rules, you're hosed if there is a recall and you're 500 miles away in Vegas.

RooskyRex fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 17, 2012

Casimir Radon
Aug 1, 2008

ryan_woody posted:

Jesus. 1 month after I left.
I'm pretty sure that's not from DLI. I'll see if I can dig up the story about the DLI students who murdered some lady (While LARPing that they were werewolves if I remember correctly).

TheUnhorse
Oct 28, 2010

Wasn't that the two marines who tried to kill a woman in Pacific Grove a long while back?

https://www.tricare.mil/eenews/downloads/stabbing033104.doc - Document with the story on that.

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

Professor Bling posted:

Why, yes, it does.

B**toni is that you?

AchmedTheSnake
Apr 6, 2006
This title is clever.

I am 2nd floor indeed. Excited for the drat language to start. I've been studying my alphabet and luckily my roommate has the same language.

RooskyRex
Aug 22, 2009

AchmedTheSnake posted:

I am 2nd floor indeed. Excited for the drat language to start. I've been studying my alphabet and luckily my roommate has the same language.

If you're interested in any help shoot me a PM with what language you are and I'll help you out if we have the same one, 2+/2+/2 here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

SirEverlast posted:

Seriously? As a soldier, I thought you guys had it easy.

Unless things have seriously changed, they do.

Professor Bling posted:

That's me.

• Locked thread