Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

I just wanna say one thing...God Bless America
Does anyone use OneNote?

My CMLI says it's the greatest language tool that none of use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Buff Tannen posted:

Does anyone use OneNote?

No? I dunno, I'm a lovely linguist, but I'm not even really sure what it is.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Buff Tannen posted:

Does it cover English?

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod
You must have Kipfer for a CMLI then. I could see it being really useful especially if you start using it from Sound and Script but I didn't even know what it was till like unit 9 and by then it didn't make any sense to start using it.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

faddypaddy posted:

You must have Kipfer for a CMLI then.

haha. You got the same speech? The two minute rundown he gave me of the benefits sounded cool, but I never did use it. It's been easier to use rapid rote.

likeanimals
Jul 28, 2012
Immediately: Take every book except homework, put it into OneNote, then use that as your 'workbook'. Make a habit of bringing your computer home, and use your OneNote notes to remember "not in curriciullum but still relevant hint hint vocab.".

Works for me. The idea being taht I throw the books out and never use my notebooks, but tend to pay attention to my hasoob. It isnt a "if you're not doing this, you're wrong", it's just a technique. Helps out when you get to do the actual job too, assuming your connect links across partitioned networks.

likeanimals fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 16, 2013

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives
I feel bad for you Airforcees. Here in the Army we get beat up and yelled at for like 2 months during phase 4, then they leave us alone forever. I keep hearing that everyone has training this Friday or something like that, my sergeant told me that after Thursday he'll see us Tuesday morning.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Okay, what kind of topsy turvy world do we now live in where the Air Force regularly gets the shaft when compared to the Army?

That's just crazy, you are all supposed to be drinking starbucks and poo poo whilst chatting on your bluetooth and sitting on park benches reading your iPads whilst feeding the squirrels and pigeons and lamenting about summers past where you first discovered love on the flightline but are currently split up because the Colonel just didn't jive with young love because he's bitter about being broken up with on the flightline because love with the TSgt was forbidden but he still remembers the time they had together and if you just make an emotional appeal in front of all the other officers you'll melt his heart and fly off in an F16 together and eat sushi in Okinawa whilst the sun sets.

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

not caring here posted:

Okay, what kind of topsy turvy world do we now live in where the Air Force regularly gets the shaft when compared to the Army?

That's just crazy, you are all supposed to be drinking starbucks and poo poo whilst chatting on your bluetooth and sitting on park benches reading your iPads whilst feeding the squirrels and pigeons and lamenting about summers past where you first discovered love on the flightline but are currently split up because the Colonel just didn't jive with young love because he's bitter about being broken up with on the flightline because love with the TSgt was forbidden but he still remembers the time they had together and if you just make an emotional appeal in front of all the other officers you'll melt his heart and fly off in an F16 together and eat sushi in Okinawa whilst the sun sets.

That sounds like a plot to a movie.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Iron Eagle IV

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

It's two hours of "training" this Friday and it's in PT gear. Basically we're gonna run a mile or two around the track, and then go inside and talk about how evil all of us men are, and why we shouldn't have sex with women unless it's our wife and we're intending to impregnate them.

Basically Rick Santorum got to our Wing Commander.

It's not that bad. Back at Meade my old shop isn't even getting a half day. People here just bitch too much.

Buff Tannen fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 17, 2013

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

Buff Tannen posted:

It's two hours of "training" this Friday and it's in PT gear. Basically we're gonna run a mile or two around the track, and then go inside and talk about how evil all of us men are, and why we shouldn't have sex with women unless it's our wife and we're intending to impregnate them.

Basically Rick Santorum got to our Wing Commander.

It's not that bad. Back at Meade my old shop isn't even getting a half day. People here just bitch too much.

Nah it wasn't bad at all. I can't believe there were people falling out of the run though. It was like 1.5 miles at the pace of a light jog.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Super Camper posted:

Nah it wasn't bad at all. I can't believe there were people falling out of the run though. It was like 1.5 miles at the pace of a light jog.

Yeah a few prior service guys in my element fell out. Of all the times to do that, they did it in front of both squadrons full of junior Airmen on a shuffle-stop formation run.

What did you think of the Commander's story at the end? wow

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh hey hope nobody is missing two tents.

Because I have two tents (and a free phone! woo) thanks to TMO.
This may be the greatest thing I take away from the military.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm just missing a bunch of tools. :mad:

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Godholio posted:

I'm just missing a bunch of tools. :mad:

Just go to an airman leader meeting, they're full of 'em! :v:

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
:rimshot:

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

So today during first hour the CMLI walks into my classroom and says, "Hey guys, I got your DLPT date. It's yesterday and nobody told us, you have reading today. Good luck!" Took us a few to figure out it wasn't a joke.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

How in the gently caress do you get within the DLPT and not know your date? Why wasn't anyone asking two or three weeks ago and demanding to know???

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

We were in post-class and apparently that's real spotty with knowing the actual date. Up until now they'd been saying the week of the 28th solidly, maybe after, but the people who administer it hadn't gotten back to them with a concrete answer. Funnily enough as soon as they got the CSM involved they had it within 15 minutes!

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

That makes total sense then. The testing department that handles the scheduling are a bunch of asshats anyway.

edit: Went for my OPI today and the tester didn't show up. They said they will be in touch for the rescheduled.

faddypaddy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 24, 2013

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
Word on the street is, an army E7 capped himself at his house in PG yesterday. Anyone know who it was?

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us

GreenMeat posted:

Word on the street is, an army E7 capped himself at his house in PG yesterday. Anyone know who it was?

Nope, but I guess now I know why we have a mysterious 1715 formation. I'll let you know if that's what it's about.

Edit: it was a Chinese MLI. They were very careful about avoiding the S word. I don't wanna post his name you can pm me if you're still wondering.

Gooble Gobble fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 25, 2013

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
:siren: LIVE UPDATES STRAIGHT FROM DLI :siren:

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

2+/2+/1+

I am done with this bullshit. That is all.

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

faddypaddy posted:

2+/2+/1+

Congrats. What language?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
From previous posts it seems like MSA

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

faddypaddy posted:

2+/2+/1+

Nice work bro, good job.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

It was MSA. I am relieved but the language instruction and methods used at DLI have left a very bitter taste in my mouth. I feel like the ME2 school house should be shutdown for fraud, waste, and abuse.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Are they going to be pushing you into French now, or was that just an email urban legend?

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Just an urban legend. They have put two guys who rocked out of MSA in French though which is unheard of in the Army.

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

faddypaddy posted:

It was MSA. I am relieved but the language instruction and methods used at DLI have left a very bitter taste in my mouth. I feel like the ME2 school house should be shutdown for fraud, waste, and abuse.

Congrats man. Time to move onto bigger and better things. I on the other hand got recycled, so i'm in for the long haul.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Weird on the french side of the house. My unit was just tasked with three MSA non-vols for the frenchy style.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Africa needs linguists.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Africa needs linguists.

Oddly, French is actually not that useful in Africa.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

standard.deviant posted:

Oddly, French is actually not that useful in Africa.

Do you know something from personal experience that backs that up? Francophone Africa is covers a poo poo ton of Africa (and definitely all the hot spots)

Edit: and the French have been doing okay speaking French there for a few decades

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Geizkragen posted:

Do you know something from personal experience that backs that up? Francophone Africa is covers a poo poo ton of Africa (and definitely all the hot spots)

Edit: and the French have been doing okay speaking French there for a few decades
Yes. Generally the people you're interested in don't speak French--Arabic is better, for most of the hot spots.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
I guess it depends on your job and who you're talking to.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Geizkragen posted:

Should I assume you actually have experience in the area, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

likeanimals
Jul 28, 2012

Geizkragen posted:

Agreed. In the meantime of DLI finally figuring out we need to be chasing obscure tribal dialects/berber/Somali/other madnesses, the best we have is what people are forced to use as a means to widely communicate.

• Locked thread