Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

AchmedTheSnake posted:

Finally made it after my roll. DLPT coming up in 4 weeks or so. Im really nervous since I barely scraped by on my last reading test. I was wondering why DLPT scores don't ever seem to reflect class performance directly. I've been studying lots of multiple choice questions in hopes that it will get me used to it so that I end up doing really well. It's so hard to calm down for this test....

It may be stressful, but don't turn to prescriptions. My buddy took some Adderall the night before the test to help with his all-nighter. He passed with flying colors, but popped hot on the piss-test the day after. He spent a year on casual duty in Monterey (lol) and eventually got chaptered out with a dishonorable. Don't be that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

ryan_woody posted:

It may be stressful, but don't turn to prescriptions. My buddy took some Adderall the night before the test to help with his all-nighter. He passed with flying colors, but popped hot on the piss-test the day after. He spent a year on casual duty in Monterey (lol) and eventually got chaptered out with a dishonorable. Don't be that guy.

God I wish I could have seen the look on his face the next day when he got picked for that piss test formation.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Androies posted:

God I wish I could have seen the look on his face the next day when he got picked for that piss test formation.

I didn't catch it myself, but I can only imagine. It's such an unfortunate story, as he was a gifted linguist, good soldier, and would have contributed a lot in the profession. It just goes to show that you can never drop your guard in a situation like that.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

ryan_woody posted:

You can't get admin sepped with a dishonorable. It requires a general court-martial. General under other than honorable conditions is what you're looking for.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Veins McGee posted:

You can't get admin sepped with a dishonorable. It requires a general court-martial. General under other than honorable conditions is what you're looking for.

I stand corrected, then.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives
I don't know about the rest of you jerks, but apparently the Army is moving its "fun sports" day from the 11, which we have off due to Columbus Day, to the 18th, the next Friday, which is a normal day, thus taking us out of class for the day. The reason being that it's easier to file paperwork to get soldiers out of class than to get them to come in on their day off. Man, I know the Army says its mission here is for you to learn your language, but a lot of the time I feel like the commanders just sit at their desks pissed that we have this whole "language" thing to do instead of "Army Stuff."

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
I don't know what you're crying about, though. An occasional day off intense learning can be similarly beneficial to taking a day off from heavy lifting. You get a whole lot of time in the classroom with a very low student/teacher ratio. If you're putting forth the effort and if you have the aptitude, you will learn. One "fun day" isn't going to change that. If anything, it might be good for you.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod
If I added up all the days that I was in class that were just wasted because I could no longer retain anything being taught I would venture a guess that I wasted about two months or so. That's not even including the last four weeks of sitting around watching the office on netflix waiting for the DLPT.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Androies posted:

I don't know about the rest of you jerks, but apparently the Army is moving its "fun sports" day from the 11, which we have off due to Columbus Day, to the 18th, the next Friday, which is a normal day, thus taking us out of class for the day. The reason being that it's easier to file paperwork to get soldiers out of class than to get them to come in on their day off. Man, I know the Army says its mission here is for you to learn your language, but a lot of the time I feel like the commanders just sit at their desks pissed that we have this whole "language" thing to do instead of "Army Stuff."

From my observation, this isn't something that's going to stop once you get out of DLI. The army likes to treat its soldiers like a special needs child, and can't wrap their head around the idea that everyone is not infantry.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
I posted in the recruiting thread and am thinking of going 35P or its equivalent and trying to improve my Korean, Hebrew, or try out Mandarin. I also took Spanish and had a few dozen courses of conversational Arabic. It sounds as though most people are enlisted going the same route.
I just read all of this thread and have spent the last 6 days doing tons of research.

I now have a question about future prospects of DLI graduates post-military. An reddit ama by an former military dli grad said he was making decent money translating Chinese language academic articles to English, but I wonder about what the advantages having learned a language care of the US government are.

So former military members with DLI experience. How has it benefitted you?

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.
Inadvisable. You could spend a 5-6 year contract doing work completely unrelated to your target language, and in general languishing as enlisted. If you have a degree, become an officer. If you don't have a degree, finish your degree and then become an officer. Or get in shape and enlist with an 18X contract.

On the off-chance that you actually do use your target language, the demands of military life will constantly impede your real work in your target language. Essentially, the Army does not know how to use linguists and we are very poorly allocated as a resource.

Bellum fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 3, 2013

AchmedTheSnake
Apr 6, 2006
This title is clever.
2/2/1+ Bitches. I'm outta here. Finally, after a roll and much freaking the hell out I managed to do it. Seriously gently caress Arabic, even though I need to study it basically forever now. Any tips on post grad language maintenance? I know it's easier to take the DLPT when you're here and I want my scores to go up eventually.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

edit: Never mind you should become an Army linguist.

faddypaddy fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 1, 2013

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Anyone a current student or recent graduate of Mandarin?

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives
After getting a 3/3/2 all I can say is this: gently caress Persian Farsi.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Androies posted:

If you go through SOLT try your hardest to get Indonesian if you are also a native English speaker. 2/2 OPI when I graduated, 2+/2+ DLPT a year later after practicing vocab for a day. Easiest thing I have ever done.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Androies posted:

drat fine score

Internet Storm
Nov 16, 2013

by Pipski
please close thread i cry at the content here get a real job please you are all embarrassments to your country stop learning gay rear end languages no one cares about

what is cristiano ronaldos pickup line?

me you gently caress gently caress

stop ruining america

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Booger Presley posted:

Anyone a current student or recent graduate of Mandarin?

Yo.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

PM'd you.

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)

Androies posted:

E: nevermind, reading a few pages back you are definitely from 113.

Also what is this SOLT business because I like easy things and also extra money.

Redfont fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 21, 2013

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

http://www.soc.mil/swcs/academichandbook.html

Google is hard.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

This is my third time here actually. Russian then Pashto, now once more for Russian. From what I have seen certain branches in the military will never use their language. Looking at you Marines, If you speak anything other than Pashto, good luck. For those of you interested in going to DLI do as an officer. Officers with languages (FAO) have the world opened to them once they go through this institute. Speak with a recruiter. Yeah school sucks but you can get a BA in basket weaving ( no poo poo ) and still get in the US military as an officer. Some of the officer programs are a joke to go through. (Mind you if you join any branch of service your good to go in my book.) However, the air-force by far is the easiest, with the most perks. In the Marines you can only be a FAO then off to command duties, which for some is actually better since you lead troops. In the air-force their FAO's are permanent spots. Sorry I do not know much about the other services.

TLDR:
Join the air-force if you are going enlisted.
Join the air-force if you are going officer.
If you do not want to join the air-force then join any service as an officer.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Equate posted:

TLDR:
Join the air-force if you are going enlisted.
Join the air-force if you are going officer.
If you do not want to join the air-force then join any service as an officer.

Ironic, because air force are about to be on lockdown again here

pick up the pace
Dec 7, 2009

hypnophant posted:

Good, then the airmen in my class can finally feel the pain the Marines have been going through.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline

hypnophant posted:

You can just pretend you are stationed at Kadena.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

I was on futenma for a good two years, love the island. Yeah school in the military no matter where you are sucks. I am talking about after the courses when you actually hit the fleet, wing, squadron, unit, where ever you are going.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

How many of you were involved in the barracks gangbang the other night?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Internet Wizard posted:

How many of you were involved in the barracks gangbang the other night?

...wait what?

:suspense:

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Dork Dicks!

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Three Marines got caught going family-style on a sailor, from what I've heard.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Smeper fi. I'm proud of those young Devil Dorks.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
So the Army and AF are going to get put on restrictions of course.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

So the Army and AF are going to get put on restrictions of course.

I think if the AF was going to get jacked up we'd have heard about it by now, I've heard precisely nothing about this aside from here. And there aren't any marines or sailors in my class either so I still probably won't find out if anything happens to them.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Internet Wizard posted:

Three Marines got caught going family-style on a sailor, from what I've heard.

Please keep us updated. :D

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

It was definitely 3 male marines and a female sailor. The NJPs went down for the marines today. It sounded kind of like they took turns rather than all going at once. They were also drunk, and the sailor said it was all consensual after she sobered up.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives
Remember when you first posted on here asking about Marine life? I wasn't lying when I said I hope you like threesomes.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

And here I had just thought it was because of the battle buddy policy.

pick up the pace
Dec 7, 2009

Internet Wizard posted:

It was definitely 3 male marines and a female sailor. The NJPs went down for the marines today. It sounded kind of like they took turns rather than all going at once. They were also drunk, and the sailor said it was all consensual after she sobered up.

They also went after the three Marines really hard. They had a semi-public NJP and stripped pretty much everything they could from them, including their MCMAP belts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

Erm... if it was consensual, then how the hell can they charge them with anything?

• Locked thread