Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
You "I don't like wide-aspect ratio monitors because I code" people can just turn that frown upside down by turning the monitor into portrait and getting fucktons of vertical space. And when you're not doing Srs Business work, you can watch movies all pretty like. It's fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That fucks up subpixel anti-aliasing though.

I'm cool with 16:9 and 16:10. Not sure how cool I am with the 3:2 stuff that's gotten really popular on HiDPI tablets and stuff these days.

Better than 4:3. I don't miss that at all.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Volguus posted:

I thought that the 16:9 aspect ratio fad (hell, anything but the trusty 4:3) would just simply go away when normal people (you know, those who actually use computers to program stuff) would just simply start realize how lovely they are and stop buying them. That was more than 10 years ago. I was wrong, they never realized how lovely they are, and they even went now and made 21:9 monsters. And they upped the price to the relatively acceptable 16:10 monitor to astronomic levels, if you can even find any.

LEDs on the motherboard? gently caress that, nobody looks there. 16:9 on the monitor? Now I'm pissed.

16:9 didn't become popular for computer monitors because there was a fad for it, it was pretty much that LCD TVs are all 16:9. Once LCD TVs started hitting high volume production, that created a giant economy of scale problem for all non-16:9 aspect ratios in lower volume markets like computer displays. Basically, you can't efficiently tile a non 16:9 display size into the standard raw glass panel sizes the LCD display industry manufactures and designs all their equipment to process, so there is some waste, so the resulting display is more expensive.

To the Dells and HPs of the world, more expensive (even if it's just a little bit) is like garlic to vampires. Most computer buyers don't give a poo poo about whether their display is all that good, they care about paying the least possible amount of money for whatever piece of crap will do the job. So the computer industry mostly just goes along with 16:9.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
A lot of corporate stuff is still 16:10 1920x1200 panels (including all the cheap HP stuff we buy at work)

4:3 is kinda crap these days though - a lot of software is set up to work best at 16:9 or 16:10 and the maximum widely used 4:3 res was only 1600x1200 which isn't sufficient these days

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
There should be more 2560x1600 monitors, corporate 1920x1200 monitors are the last gasp of 16:10.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Some Gigabyte mobos have an LED backlight on the rear IO shield that you can toggle via BIOS or windows application. I like that plus the USB "Q-flash" capability for the UEFI (very useful if you need to flash a BIOS to get microcode for your processor, like with Z87 or X99).
Flashing outside an operating system isn't that new. My Asrock X99 board can connect to the Internet, download and install the newest firmware from within UEFI.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Volguus posted:

LEDs on the motherboard? gently caress that, nobody looks there. 16:9 on the monitor? Now I'm pissed.
Eh, I was fine with 16:10, because going away from 4:3 to a 16:10 monitor automatically came with a bump in resolution, so nothing was lost. Eventually when everyone went from 16:10 to 16:9 at the beginning, anything with a resolution bump (i.e. maintaining at least 1200p vertical) was expensive as gently caress for a long while. That's a reason why I've ridden out those old Samsungs of mine for over 7 years. My current displays are 16:9, but I went from 24" 1920x1200 to 27" 2560x1440, so I can very well live with it. They still were more expensive than the old ones when I bought them (especially when you consider inflation), but they also do 165hz and GSync.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Toast Museum posted:

In the US market, maybe it's a nostalgia thing. Like, the kids who were into light-up case fans 15 years ago have jobs and a little money now, and they want a laser show inside their PC.

Personally, one giant purple PC was enough for me. Now my ideal PC is as close to silent and invisible as possible.

It's like overclocking: Virtually nobody cared about it back in 1999 when you can truly get +50% performance for free out of a Celeron 300A, fast forward to today everyone thinks from the likes of Reddit thinks spending $$$ on expensive mobos and cooling for like a 10% OC is good because it's OCing is "free" and "easy".

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

It's hard for me to believe that windowed cases are still a thing, but it looks like they're bigger than ever?

i hate the look of windowed cases but i would also gladly eat poo poo to save a few bucks; hence it always tickles me when i'm looking for a case and the windowed version is invariably like £10 more. it's the same weird sensation of unwarranted smug elitism that percolates when you walk past the bread in the supermarket that has the crusts cut off and is therefore 3 times the price

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I physically cannot rotate my 21:9 34" monitor because my monitor mount will not go high enough to let it, so instead I'd rather flank the 21:9 center with rotated 4K IPS monitors (sub-pixel rendered fonts aren't applicable then). Man, that's a first world problem.

Palladium posted:

It's like overclocking: Virtually nobody cared about it back in 1999 when you can truly get +50% performance for free out of a Celeron 300A, fast forward to today everyone thinks from the likes of Reddit thinks spending $$$ on expensive mobos and cooling for like a 10% OC is good because it's OCing is "free" and "easy".
Nerds are very susceptible to marketing pressure like any other demographic. OCing nowadays for arguments around price efficiency is as devious as discount retailers like Ross and TJ Maxx charging nearly the same price as the original retail price while claiming discounts (price marketing is the same across all verticals). Most of us that went through the overclocking era of yore know that we've long hit diminishing returns (not to mention Intel's changes over the years) and even more importantly, most of us have decent enough jobs now where we could just buy something more expensive instead of spending a little less total after all the coolers and such to try to get similar single threaded performance. Squeezing CPU performance also made sense when games were still very CPU-bound all the time when few titles could do much with GPUs.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

necrobobsledder posted:

Nerds are very susceptible to marketing pressure like any other demographic. OCing nowadays for arguments around price efficiency is as devious as discount retailers like Ross and TJ Maxx charging nearly the same price as the original retail price while claiming discounts (price marketing is the same across all verticals). Most of us that went through the overclocking era of yore know that we've long hit diminishing returns (not to mention Intel's changes over the years) and even more importantly, most of us have decent enough jobs now where we could just buy something more expensive instead of spending a little less total after all the coolers and such to try to get similar single threaded performance. Squeezing CPU performance also made sense when games were still very CPU-bound all the time when few titles could do much with GPUs.

It is pretty funny that people spend huge amounts of money on known overclocking motherboards, then a chip that doesn't overclock well. For the most part, since the Sandy Bridge era, the only chips that overclock well are the Kaby Lakes. But if you toss "Fatality" on a motherboard's name, you're right, people will be happy with their 10% OC that they've paid a huge premium for.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I wanted to post something, but then I pulled out the calculator and notice that my overclock on the 5820K only amounts for 11% (3.6GHz Turbo to 4GHz at any time (well, 21% if you use the base clock)), so nevermind.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wanted to post something, but then I pulled out the calculator and notice that my overclock on the 5820K only amounts for 11% (3.6GHz Turbo to 4GHz at any time (well, 21% if you use the base clock)), so nevermind.

If that's all you're getting, you're not doing it right. Without even touching VCore I can easily hit 4.3Ghz on mine, and with some modest bumps can get into the 4.5 range. Admittedly the heat produced at that point is pretty silly, to the point where even my H110 starts to struggle if I'm loading all the cores to the hilt with Handbrake or something, so I usually just leave it at 4.3 and call it a day.

But yeah, it takes a bit more effort than the 2500k did (4.5Hz on air without even trying), and nothing will ever match the gains of that good 'ol Celeron 300A.

Also, while the "Fatality" and other silly boards are their own issue, a lot of the "good" overclocking boards are just high-quality all the way around. Better components, more PCIe slots, better audio, etc., all of which are worth money to a lot of people regardless of the overclocking potential for a given board.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

DrDork posted:

Also, while the "Fatality" and other silly boards are their own issue, a lot of the "good" overclocking boards are just high-quality all the way around. Better components, more PCIe slots, better audio, etc., all of which are worth money to a lot of people regardless of the overclocking potential for a given board.

Yes, but people will put more money into their motherboard when buying a cheap motherboard and a faster GPU/CPU will usually be the better buy.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

DrDork posted:

If that's all you're getting, you're not doing it right. Without even touching VCore I can easily hit 4.3Ghz on mine, and with some modest bumps can get into the 4.5 range. Admittedly the heat produced at that point is pretty silly, to the point where even my H110 starts to struggle if I'm loading all the cores to the hilt with Handbrake or something, so I usually just leave it at 4.3 and call it a day.
AFAIK there was a wide variance on the 5820K and I seem to have gotten the worse end of the stick, because I had to add 0.05V to get it stable. That said, I'm running uncore at 3.3GHz, most guides drop it to 3GHz. I didn't push further because of the heat.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I noticed people talking about the 7700k temperature spikes doing mostly nothing and tested mine out which is definitely jumping from 40c to 65c in a fraction of a second and then back down. My fans ramp up and back down too. Kind of driving me nuts. What is the stock voltage for these procs? 1.2v?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I would think it's lower than that, my 4790K runs at 1.088 stock. IIRC, they're all a little different, each processor is set for the core voltage it needs to validate properly.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Well, evidently Coffee Lake will be LGA1151v2. Same number of pins, same architecture, new arrangement. So much for drop-ins.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I really, really hate when companies do poo poo like that. I feel like it's almost a 100% guarantee that's going to cause somebody some problems.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, evidently Coffee Lake will be LGA1151v2. Same number of pins, same architecture, new arrangement. So much for drop-ins.
:eyepoop:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I kinda figured there's no way they could do 6-cores on the same chipset.

The interesting question will be whether you can put your LGA1151v1 in your LGA1151v2 socket, like you can with AM2+.

I'm betting that you can't, though.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

Yes, but people will put more money into their motherboard when buying a cheap motherboard and a faster GPU/CPU will usually be the better buy.

it's a better buy if your time is worthless - in my experience motherboard quality seems to be way more variable than cpu/gpu quality; i've had quite a few crap out when i've penny pinched. then again my last mobo was a not inexpensive gigabyte model that also mysteriously went completely dead, so i guess some manufacturers are just generally a bit poo poo

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

DrDork posted:

You "I don't like wide-aspect ratio monitors because I code" people can just turn that frown upside down by turning the monitor into portrait and getting fucktons of vertical space. And when you're not doing Srs Business work, you can watch movies all pretty like. It's fine!
or you could just set line width to 180 chars

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Malloc Voidstar posted:

or you could just set line width to 180 chars

yeah but then you have to actually read 180 chars at a time :effort:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not so much surprising as cynicism reaffirming.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Not so much surprising as cynicism reaffirming.

Chipzilla gotta chipzilla.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ASRock Unveils the X299E-ITX/ac: Mini ITX + X299 + Quad-channel Memory

:eyepop:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Meanwhile in the Asrock exec meeting room: AM4 ITX? Who cares?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

quote:

Dj-ElectriC

SLI support, ladies and gents.
ASRock are geniuses

it has a single pcie slot :ssh:

eames
May 9, 2009

Intel is preparing more Skylake-X CPUs to counter Threadripper, now with a rumored Core i9-7980XE with 18C/36T.

PCGH claims to know from a reliable source that the heatspreader on Skylake-X is not soldered, so the countdown to the first $2500+ :siren: Extreme Edition i9 :siren: killed during delidding starts now.

http://translate.google.com/transla...n&langpair=auto

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, just how big is the market for desktop users requiring 18 Cores at ~3 Ghz and without ECC RAM?
At this point it looks like AMD and Intel are just rebadging CPUs that they had to make for the server market anyway. I'd be much more interested in a highly binned 6-8C SKU at 5 Ghz (not that I'd buy one).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it has a single pcie slot :ssh:

ASRock boards usually support PCI-E bifurcation, so it could theoretically support SLi with a bifurcated riser.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

repiv posted:

ASRock boards usually support PCI-E bifurcation, so it could theoretically support SLi with a bifurcated riser.

why

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Who are the people buying an m-ITX motherboard then sticking it in a case large enough to fit 2+ GPUs?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Actuarial Fables posted:

Who are the people buying an m-ITX motherboard then sticking it in a case large enough to fit 2+ GPUs?

people who are about to regret their decision not to buy an matx board, obviously

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

eames
May 9, 2009

That picture makes me wonder if m-ITX have significantly lower idle power draw than comparable ATX boards because they're missing room for a lot of unnecessary things like LEDs, killer network chipsets, isolated soundcards, WiFi chipsets, etc.

edit: I should read :doh::

quote:

The board manages its limited PCB real-estate by going vertical. It features two riser cards, one with a few onboard controllers, and a pair of 32 Gb/s M.2 slots. Connectivity includes two Intel I219-V driven gigabit Ethernet interfaces, 802.11ac WLAN, and Bluetooth 4.1.

eames fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 29, 2017

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Actuarial Fables posted:

Founders 1080Ti x2 + EK waterblocks with single slot brackets + two slot bridge to fit two cards into the two slots that all ITX cases have? Of course there is the issue of aligning the graphics cards with the standard slots with the addition of the riser, so case modification would still be required for most cases. Should work with the ones with a separate GPU mount connected by a riser though.

Palladium posted:

Meanwhile in the Asrock exec meeting room: AM4 ITX? Who cares?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

18 core CPU eh? Means nothing if they don't pricematch AMD. What good is an 18 core Skylake-X when it's twice the price or more of the 16C Threadripper? On the other hand, if they try to stay competitive, it means 10C or 12C will become more affordable.

Also not a fan of ditching the solder.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also not a fan of ditching the solder.

Must be a big die; I don't think longevity is the reason.

I still wish they sold CPUs with a bare die and a built in shim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Must be a big die; I don't think longevity is the reason.

I still wish they sold CPUs with a bare die and a built in shim.

That'd allow people to overclock their CPUs without voiding warranty, can't have that.