Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Anyone actually use start.ca? I've seen it mentioned a few times as a more expensive alternative to TekSavvy (albeit more reliable).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

cowofwar posted:

So Cogeco sucks rear end. We pay for the Turbo 20 plan and get like 20% of that speed in evenings.
So how would you guys approach talking to Cogeco about unacceptable service? What hoops will they make me jump through?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

cowofwar posted:

So how would you guys approach talking to Cogeco about unacceptable service? What hoops will they make me jump through?

I had to phone up rogers and bitch at them the other night. We pay for a 25mbit plan and this is what we got:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Less Fat Luke posted:

Anyone actually use start.ca? I've seen it mentioned a few times as a more expensive alternative to TekSavvy (albeit more reliable).

Yep, it's fine, friendly tech support and painless setup.

These are my usual speeds:

.. exactly what my plan is rated for.

I did get this the other night though:

No idea what happened there. It seemed to improve after a reboot, but that's really the only time it's been bad in about 4 months.

Oh yeah, they finally implemented an online usage tracker, unfortunately. But I rarely get close to 200gb and apparently late night traffic is exempted from the limits.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm on start.ca cable and the speeds are consistant and excellent.

No complaints here. Speedboost gamed the results but I receive exactly the rated speeds and I've never noticed a slowdown.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
That download, holy poo poo :circlefap:

SmithKurosaki
Apr 15, 2009

Of course I'm not scum, if I were scum I would be fucking glaring. Christ.
I'm considering grabbing teksavvy cable in hamilton. Has anyone had any problems getting it set up or the service (from cogeco)?
Also, I know Canada computers used to sell teksavvy modems with a free month of internet. Does anyone know if they still have those?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Less Fat Luke posted:

I use Start.ca in a Cogeco service area in Hamilton and they've been outstanding. Speeds have been very consistent.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Weird, I'm not sure how I've never heard of them. Their upstreams seem to be much higher than TekSavvy offers in my apartment for cable and DSL, so I think I'll switch. I'm pretty tired of random disconnects and two-hour hold times.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Start has been around since the nineties and their CEO is active in the Start.ca forum at DSLReports. Seems like a really nice guy. They kind of remind me of what Teksavvy used to be like when they were smaller.

Their CEO has been really clear that they're really careful not to oversell their infrastructure and their plan pricing is set to be sustainable with no gimmicks.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or is Teksavvy only having problems in English provinces? I've never had a problem with them in Quebec, other than really long hold times and Bell's equipment at the node being poo poo (my Internet is perfect during the winter but disconnects frequently during the summer, old lines or something)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I think Teksavvy sort of developed three problems in Ontario. The first was that to cover demand it seems like they ramped up tech and sales support by just hiring a ton of people that weren't as good as their previous smaller team. The second is that anecdotally Rogers and Bell seems to screw with Teksavvy and its customers as much as is legally allowed to make the experience as bad as possible. Third was that they oversold in the Toronto area and then Rogers dragged its feet on upgrades big time, and now they're splitting the customer base between the aggregated and non-aggregated Rogers POI system.

I don't doubt that Teksavvy will eventually work it all out, but the days of calling Teksavvy at 11pm and getting some guy picking up on the first ring, a guy who knows more about DSL than you could ever hope to, are long gone and aren't coming back. Also if you're having trouble with your connection you can be almost assured that Rogers and Bell are going to do everything in their power to not help until absolutely required, and that includes threats of fees on the customer end that Teksavvy has to pass on.

8ender fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 18, 2013

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Never had an issue with teksavvy service or customer service since I switched from their dsl to cable. I absolutely buy into the excuse that bell does whatever they can to gently caress over tsi customers. We've had issues trying to get our full advertised speed on dsl and kept getting fed bs excuses about line ratings despite living in a brand spanking new condo building that gave us our advertised speeds for months after we first signed up. I can't believe teksavvy would make a change to permanently degrade us - I CAN buy that bell almost certainly did. Yes, it's all speculation but the circumstances certainly support my opinion.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Anyone in Ottawa know where Bell's main DSL routing points are? I'm moving back downtown and thinking of going with a 25/10 FTTN plan from Start or TSI because the prices are better than the ATPIA plans and having decent upstream will be nice for gaming/VoIP/etc, but the last time I had DSL I got utterly hosed by being too far from the central office on bad wiring and I'd prefer that not to happen again.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Bell absolutely does gently caress over small ISPs. We usually have to reopen tickets 2 or 3 times before they actually go out and fix things for us. We'll say "Can you go do some line repairs here" and get put in a queue that usually takes a couple days, then they'll just close the ticket without doing anything. If we don't catch it within 24h we can't reopen it and have to file a new one and wait a couple more days. They're loving absurd.

Edit: the best we've ever had is one customer who it took them three weeks and 5 tickets to get fixed, and the whole time they were assuring us a tech would be out that very day!

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 19, 2013

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Put in the upgrade request to Teksavvy to get my cable switched up to 45/4 last week, got an email this afternoon saying the order has been processed. Works as advertised:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm surprised 14% of Canada is faster than that.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Less Fat Luke posted:

I've been with them for few months now and it's been great. I have the 50Mbps plan, that now I see has been downgraded to 45 and a new Elite plan has been introduced. However, I've never hit 50Mbps speed, but I've always been really close. I consistently get 5.2 - 5.6 MBps on my downloads. The 150 plan looks great, but the 100$/month fee sucks :(. Though, I would be getting more value out of it.

It saddens me greatly to hear that they've actually implemented the usage tracking ... it was great while it wasn't there :).

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007
Goddamn you Vancouver, why did you have to go and get this :D
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2013/07/03/technology-one-gigabit-internet.html

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
My connection:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

drat :stare:

As much as I would love to see this be used as a ploy to lower the prices of current internet connections elsewhere, it'll never happen.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Migishu posted:

drat :stare:

As much as I would love to see this be used as a ploy to lower the prices of current internet connections elsewhere, it'll never happen.

You're not the only one. It a shame our legal monopolies will probably find an way to keep this from spreading. I dream of an Canada with out monopolies.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Canada day weekend a forest fire severs Bell's fibre line around 4pm on Friday, no Internet or cell phone service until around 4pm on Monday. My holiday weekend involved a lot of alcohol and books.

Last Friday a little after 3pm another fire cuts the fibre line again. As far as im aware who knows when it'll be fixed again. Thank Visnu I'm out of town. I swear they must have laid that fibre across everyday drat cursed burial ground in the province.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Where is this? :(

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Labrador.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
So in the opposite of the spirit of the thread.

They must have pushed a firmware fix to my Sagemcom thing, as it now happily will chug along with bittorrent open forever. Yay, Bell?

Nice to not have to reset the modem every 30 minutes or so while downloading.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Backov posted:

So in the opposite of the spirit of the thread.

They must have pushed a firmware fix to my Sagemcom thing, as it now happily will chug along with bittorrent open forever. Yay, Bell?

Nice to not have to reset the modem every 30 minutes or so while downloading.

That sounds useful; where did you find that? My Sagecom's being a little poo poo these days.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

How much bandwidth will they actually have to the backbone? How many people doing heavy torrenting, or offices that decide to backup to their home (I know I would given that kind of speed) before the service really degrades.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

El Scotch posted:

That sounds useful; where did you find that? My Sagecom's being a little poo poo these days.

What, the reset or the firmware patch? The reset is in the control panel. The firmware I had nothing to do with, it just magically started working again.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Backov posted:

What, the reset or the firmware patch? The reset is in the control panel. The firmware I had nothing to do with, it just magically started working again.

Aye, I can't read. :smith:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
What version of the firmware do you have? You can see it in the About page.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

infernal machines posted:

What version of the firmware do you have? You can see it in the About page.

It's FAST2864_v6740S.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
That's the same version I've had since April. Maybe they changed your DSL profile to interleaved? That's what most people do to work around sync-no-surf. It adds about 11ms of latency to the first network hop though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Assuming existing last mile infrastructure, how fast can we theoretically get the dsl and cable technologies?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

Assuming existing last mile infrastructure, how fast can we theoretically get the dsl and cable technologies?

Depends on advancements in technology, really. TELUS is currently able to do 50 down/25 up over DSL. Shaw's doing 250 down/something up on Cable.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

slidebite posted:

Theoretically speaking if someone made a modem with 24 downstream channels/8 upstream channels with DOCSIS 3.0 spec we could do 1029.12mbps down/245.76mbps up. You would also have to clean the QAM space for that(clearing out a ton of TV channels) and make sure that someone doing a gigabit isn't going to saturate the node immediately. You probably won't see stuff like that until Cableco switch to IPTV delivery and can dedicate most of their frequencies to downstream channels.

If DOCSIS 3.1 becomes a reality you are looking at stuff like 10gpbs down/1gbps up, but that's a long ways away.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Huh. Somehow, I didn't expect this to actually happen on Teksavvy:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

In case anyone else is having trouble, from TekSavvy:

quote:

Cable Internet Outages

Customers in Ottawa on our cable product may be experiencing an outage. This is due to a cut line on the cable network. We are working to resolve this.

As a result, other Ontario customers may be experiencing intermittent routing issues. We are working to resolve this, and will update when it is resolved.

Before calling check http://support.teksavvy.com/ to find out news on outages, and possible network trouble.

For frequent updates please follow @TekSavvyNetwork

I'm having that "intermittent routing issue" in Toronto. It's quite bad.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

teethgrinder posted:

In case anyone else is having trouble, from TekSavvy:

I'm having that "intermittent routing issue" in Toronto. It's quite bad.

I have been without internet access at home since this morning.

Reading between the lines, it's pretty clear that Rogers cut the cable and are dragging their feet on getting it fixed. They said 6 hours at 1:30 PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Picked Distributel for my first cable ISP in Montreal... Scheduled installation with them on July 16th in the morning. The whole day passes, no tech, no call, nothing. Rang up customer service, after waiting 35 minutes (my mobile minutes! :argh:) I finally get someone that basically says "yep you had an appointment with videotron's tech but we can't actually confirm a precise appointment date". Then later that night, I get an automated call from Videotron confirming my appointment with a tech on July 18th AM. What the gently caress?

A friend of mine works tech support at Distributel and confirms there was a Videotron appointment for the 16th in my account... But being tech support and not customer service, that's about all he can do or check. I know Videotron/Bell/Rogers/etc. are doing everything they can to hinder smaller ISPs, but where is the buck likely to lie in this situation? From my own short time in Videotron tech support, I recall getting so many customers forwarded to us after getting shafted by installation scheduling (tech support were the only ones able to do same day appointments).