Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Kiri Kolisnik: Yeah I worried about that too, I figured I'd just come off as an annoying creep who didn't actually know anything about reactivity by standing there making her dog go nuts. :downs:

a life less: That's what I started doing near the end of our training session yesterday. Ignoring just made him sit there and look at me like, "Well what the gently caress do you want?" So I started going "Nope!" and made him reposition himself to get ready to try again, and he started doing better. I also find he responds WAY better to a point and snap than just pointing (I was teaching him 'go to bed').

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susan Calvin
Oct 20, 2008

But how does that make you feel?
I just wanted to tell you all that after a week and a half, my cat has mastered sit, and is working on come. My mom's gonna be so mad. :mmmhmm:

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)
Re: Bait bags --

http://www.jjdog.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=1CATBAITBAGS

Cheap and not that uncool. We use one very similar to the first one and are super, super happy with it.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Rixatrix posted:

Any tips on how to progress with Pi using Shirley's Retrieve? We're seriously stuck at the point where I'm catching the dumbell that he lifts/throws and I cannot for the life of me get Pi to offer any sort of hold.

To tell you the truth right now I'm not having much fun with any of my training. I had Rho temperament tested some weeks ago and it turns out some quirks he has are likely to be more serious/difficult to deal with than I previously thought. It turns out Rho is sound sensitive and very soft, as well as independent. He doesn't seek help from me in difficult situations at all, which was heartbraking. Our first agility trial is on Saturday but right now I'm inclined to think he isn't up for it yet. His agility skills are good enough, but he's probably too uncomfortable in the trial environment to be able to perform. I don't think the dogs mind my lagging motivation with training though, as I just settle for doing simpler things without much of a goal in mind.

So he'll clasp the dumbbell and lift it a bit, but won't hold onto it for more than a split second?

You can try throwing in a "stay" cue at an opportune time. I think that's how I ended up getting through that roadblock with Cohen last year. Not perfect, but it worked for us. It may only give you another half second of hold before he drops it, but if you're skilled you may be able to capitalize on it and stretch the hold longer and longer.

I also started Cohen with taking the object from my hand as opposed to on the floor (it was before I'd read Shirley's Retrieve). I made a sort of take -> hold -> give chain with a ball.

So what about other objects? I imagine he'll carry toys etc in his mouth. You could try to get the basics of the grab/lift/hold with a toy then see if you can apply it to a dumbbell.

What material is your dumbbell? Is it sized correctly? Does it jostle Pi's teeth when he grabs it? Is it too heavy? Too light? Does Pi have any dental issues? Is it clean? It's possible that he dislikes something specific about this dumbbell.

For keeping YOUR motivation up, I find that's what I need classes for. Otherwise I just tend to wander around aimlessly with my dog, getting frustrated when she decides to be a brat. I find a need those payoffs to make me feel like having a crazy energetic dog is worth it.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Susan Calvin posted:

I just wanted to tell you all that after a week and a half, my cat has mastered sit, and is working on come. My mom's gonna be so mad. :mmmhmm:

Good work, can't wait to hear how she explains that to herself you.

Here's a picture of Milo, he's 6 months now. Everyday, I work with him on come, stay, retrieves and almost every morning I hide some old antlers around the yard for him to sniff out. Oh, and be nice to kitties.

I used these two videos when I was looking for a good way to clicker train retrieves. It's gone pretty well but I went too fast on the first step and I'm having problem getting him to drop stuff into my hand now so we're back to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oFO9Z0oHBA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iahx2OGIdbU

JAVA SPARROW
Jun 2, 2011
Hey guys! I'd appreciate some advice on how to handle a minor issue.

Well okay, it's a moderate issue. Our 1yr old pit-mix Brutus doesn't seem to know how to calm the gently caress down in the house. He's doing a lot better from being out of his crate more and more but boy is he annoying. When he's first taken out he'll be very good and play with his toys (marrow bones, a deer antler, a kong, a rubber tire) until he gets bored of them. Then he runs around and gets into things he shouldn't or bugs our senior APBT Keno.

What should we do to teach him how to be calm? I'm thinking the obvious "teach him new tricks and brush up on his old ones" to occupy him more, and maybe some sort of impulse control games. Are there any specific 'calm the hell down' exercises I can do with him, too?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

JAVA SPARROW posted:

Hey guys! I'd appreciate some advice on how to handle a minor issue.

Well okay, it's a moderate issue. Our 1yr old pit-mix Brutus doesn't seem to know how to calm the gently caress down in the house. He's doing a lot better from being out of his crate more and more but boy is he annoying. When he's first taken out he'll be very good and play with his toys (marrow bones, a deer antler, a kong, a rubber tire) until he gets bored of them. Then he runs around and gets into things he shouldn't or bugs our senior APBT Keno.

What should we do to teach him how to be calm? I'm thinking the obvious "teach him new tricks and brush up on his old ones" to occupy him more, and maybe some sort of impulse control games. Are there any specific 'calm the hell down' exercises I can do with him, too?

How much exercise and mental stimulation is he getting? It doesn't sound like a situation where impulse control games will help rather than increasing his exercise.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

a life less posted:

So he'll clasp the dumbbell and lift it a bit, but won't hold onto it for more than a split second?

You can try throwing in a "stay" cue at an opportune time.
Thanks, I'll give this a go. Pi has lots and lots of value for the dumbbell (or any similarly shaped item), it's just that the value equals "grab and throw high into air and food will come". He won't hold onto it at all, just pick it up and throw it. He has a decent play retrieve with tug toys. We tug, I'll throw the toy and he'll deliver it to my hand if I ask him to.

a life less posted:

What material is your dumbbell?
Metal, plastic, wood, several different sizes. I even have one made of doggie tennis ball material (Kong brand if memory serves) just to check if it's a problem with the dumbbell. It isn't, he'll just as eagerly pick up the metal one and throw it as he'll do for the tennis ball toy dumbbell. And no dental issues I'm aware of, he likes his raw meaty bones and tugging just as much as before, his teeth are clean and none are broken (at the moment thank god, dental care is expensive for dogs too and Pi's had three broken teeth).

a life less posted:

For keeping YOUR motivation up, I find that's what I need classes for. Otherwise I just tend to wander around aimlessly with my dog, getting frustrated when she decides to be a brat. I find a need those payoffs to make me feel like having a crazy energetic dog is worth it.
This is so true. I don't think I'd ever do anything remotely ambitious with the dogs if I had to train alone. I do most of my training with friends (Obed) or in classes provided by clubs I belong to (SAR, Schutzhund, Agility. We just got accepted into an Agility club yesterday so yay for cheaper classes from now on). On top of that I occasionally go to seminars and such. Even though I'm not that competitive a person, trials are the thing that makes me work at training. Right now with Pi out of the picture because of his eye drops and me being (unfairly) frustrated with Rho, trials seem to be a distant dream.

That said, yesterday in Agility class Rho did so well that I've decided to go to the trial tomorrow and give it a go. Yesterday's class was outside with lots of dogs waiting in the ring for their turn and Rho was still able to perform very well. He even did independent weaves at warp speed, which was amazing. If he can do half as well at the trial in spite of the distractions we should be golden.

JAVA SPARROW
Jun 2, 2011

Fraction posted:

How much exercise and mental stimulation is he getting? It doesn't sound like a situation where impulse control games will help rather than increasing his exercise.
An estimate would be about 1hr 30min daily of pure exercise. We thought that would be enough for him, should we try to ramp it up somehow? :(

My mother takes him and senior dog for a 1hr walk + offleash run combo in the morning. He'll take a nap shortly after that and when he wakes up, I'll take him for another quick walk around the block. Then later in the afternoon I'll usually take him outside to chase his flirtpole & lounge around in the yard. Other than that he is either taking a nap or loose in the house.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

JAVA SPARROW posted:

An estimate would be about 1hr 30min daily of pure exercise. We thought that would be enough for him, should we try to ramp it up somehow? :(

My mother takes him and senior dog for a 1hr walk + offleash run combo in the morning. He'll take a nap shortly after that and when he wakes up, I'll take him for another quick walk around the block. Then later in the afternoon I'll usually take him outside to chase his flirtpole & lounge around in the yard. Other than that he is either taking a nap or loose in the house.

Upping exercise is always good if you can! I thought my ten month old JRT was getting enough exercise (an hour of outdoor fetch, plus around two-three hours of indoor play and around an hour and a half of mental stimulation) because she would just sleep the rest of the time. But I've lately increased her exercise to two hours minimum, usually more three hours, of pure running and playing fetch, and she settles more easily, hasn't had any accidents when left alone, startles less, and is less inclined to bully my older dog into playing.

Pit bulls are pretty notorious for requiring quite a lot of exercise, from what I've heard.

If you don't have time to add another offleash walk in, you could try:
- Feeding him at mealtimes only for doing tricks, or giving him his meals from kongs and similar toys.
- Turn the short walk around the block into a lap or two of jogging or full out running around the block.
- Less lounging and more flirtpole, tug, etc, games in the evening.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

a life less posted:

Here are the videos: I think each one is a day of training, and training happens in one minute stints five or six times a day. Nice and short!

Day One

Why a slipper? Because the owner showed up for her lesson today with a slipper and a request to teach a retrieve. this dog is NOT an obedience dog so we never taught her to retrieve. She sees me for other stuff. She agreed to let Kir be a demo dog.

First bit:
10sec on - the issue with "pawing" is that dog already has a lot of behaviors that include feet. As you can see, once the dog used her feet she was determined to do it again. For the rest of the minute, the emphasis was on clicking when there were no feet on the toy. Also, we learned that sticky foods are hard to throw. The purpose of the throw is to "reset" the dog so she can try again.

next bit: We switched to holding the slipper in the trainers hands to avoid so much feet action. it worked but and we had a nose touch. Which is fine.

next bit: I suggested that the owner move the toy slightly; often that will get a dog to open their mouth to stop it from moving. This is not supposed to a prey reaction so don't jerk it around. Just move it gently so the dog is a bit frustrated that the object moves right before getting their mouth on it.

next bit: Standing up (with me) works much better than being on the ground. Now she is genuinely putting her mouth on it. After each click, I wait for her to finish chewing and look at me to let me know she's ready to try again. Effort is acknowledged with encouragement (good!) but no click/treat. You'll notice that she tries harder after failing to get the cookie.

next bit (with owner again) You can see she's starting to get it. Mouth is opening much more consistently. Owner is working on remembering to take the object away between rounds.

next bit (with me); again, clearly understanding to put her mouth on it. I tried putting it on the ground again but didn't like what I saw, so decided it's better to hold it and the next step will be teaching her to take weight instead of teaching her to pick it off the ground. On the ground she goes to a bow/nosetouch...she has a lifetime of those behaviors and five minutes of retrieve isn't' going to overwhelm that.

next bit (last one) you can see she is starting to regress. She's tired. This was A LOT of training on one topic. Also, I was moving her very quickly. You can tell she's mentally done because she starts freezing more and I have to keep unsticking her by moving around myself or showing her a cookie. I got lucky that on the last attempt she went back to a bite, and then I quit.

some general thoughts on the session...I think this video does a good job at showing how good clicker training should be dynamic. change your plan according to the dog's reactions and you'll progress a whole lot faster than if you have a preconcieved plan and refuse to deviate from it. I didn't say jump around randomly....just be prepared to make changes if you need them.

I've asked the owner not to train this between sessions so I can attempt to record this dog's entire progression on the retrieve. Please note.....this dog is very clicker savvy, and it's a smart dog. It would be totally ok if a different dog took 10 days to get this far. Indeed, the student I had after this one is a Westie....she's been at this clicker retrieve for about four months now, and right now the dog is able to pick things off the ground and is just beginning to move towards the owner to give up the object. Either way will end up with a retrieve so don’t be in a hurry.

If someone has questions about what I did or why I did it, please ask. I think it's important that as many people as possible learn how to teach a shaped retrieve, because the need for this information is very very great.

Day Two

The handler Katie and I had a 'strategy" talk before starting. We agreed to take one or two nose touches, but after that we wanted a bite on the slipper. we also changed our working period from "one minute" of work to "10 pieces of cheese". Noticeable difference between myself and the owner.... my emphasis is on doing it quickly and correctly without thinking, whereas Katie allows more time to think. That is why you hear me saying "take it away" when the dog does anything short of grabbing the slipper, whereas Katie will allow Kir to make one choice and then follow it up with a different (correct?) one. I'm not sure there is a right or a wrong here, but for obedience purposes I want a dog to react very quickly to the presence of a dumbbell with no thought at all. Note that I consistently praise each attempt whether or not she is successful. Katie is less comfortable with that since it's not how she learned shaping. Again, I can't say it's right or wrong, but I do find it works for me. I want the dog to stay in the game.

Our attempts to have Kir take the weight of the slipper were unsuccessful. We realized this after a few tries and switched to sustained mouthing instead. It doesn’t really matter which criteria you move forward at a time; pick something and be prepared to change course as needed.

Around the 2:10 second mark, I am telling Katie to "take it away". Note the dog's body language at this point; she isn't' leaning forward and doesn’t look ready to try. Then she spits out a piece of food. After that she is ready to work. Do not do a repetition with a dog who is not ready to work.

After Katie tried to get her to take the slipper's weight I also attempted to get Kir to take weight and was unsuccessful.

Note at 2:45 that Kir looks away. I immediately removed the opportunity to take the slipper. I only work with dogs that are working with me. I am also pretty strict about removing the object anytime she goes back to a nosetouch instead of a bite. I do NOT wait for a bite; she must bite immediately.

The rest of the video continues on the same vein. Most notable thing...we are further today than we were at the end of yesterday; she consistently mouths the object and is learning to change her head position to bite it. that means we're doing ok.

Day Three

Katie (owner) and I agreed that we'd try to get her to hold the object when it was moving.

In the first segment, you can see she understands putting her mouth on the object, but Katie is pushing the slipper towards her dog. Then, at the end, there is a 'bang' sound. This dog is sound sensitive so we stopped immediately. After 10 minutes she appeared to be recovered.

In the second segment, you can see that the dog is not truly recovered from the bang. She starts by nose touching instead of biting. That causes Katie to work too hard - that adds to the dog's pressure. We stop short and consider how to proceed. It is not clear if the dog can recover from the earlier noise.

In the third segment, we switch to me as the handler and the location a little. Changing the scenery/handler can help the dog recover. Note that by moving my body (but not the object so much) I make the game much more interesting and engaging for her.

In the fourth segment, Katie speeds up her energy and pace of work, which serves the dog well.

In the final segment, I warm the dog up with general bites, and then I put it on the ground. After three or four attempts, she picks it up!

Total training time, 3 min. 18 sec divided into 5 segments. Total pieces of cheese; 50.

We arent' available to continue this dog's training for about a week. Katie has promised not to work on this in the meantime.

As a general note, this dog's pace of learning is NOT normal. Because the dog/handler team has a ton of shaping history, the dog learns very very quickly. what matters is that she remains engaged and wants to learn. It is totally ok if it takes you six months to get your retrieve.

Day Four

• Section 1: Started with mouth on object for a few reps; then placed it on the floor. Note that owner worked too quickly and often the dog was still chewing when object was presented. Make sure the dog has finished the food and is expectantly waiting to work again before offering the object.
  • Section 2: We agreed to place object on the floor (which is where we left off last session). Then I encouraged the owner to "back up" so the dog can learn to bring the object to her hand. Dog does much better when owner stops "hovering" over her.
  • Section 3: Narrated on video. Biggest problem is getting the owner to trust her dog - Kir knows what to do.
  • Section 4: Encouraged handler to keep her hands on her thighs; Kir's job is to get the object to her hands. If she reaches, then it confuses the issue. I think the dog got some cheese or hair stuck on her tooth, because her behavior was a bit off in parts of this one. Handler used a negative verbal marker in this one - I would not have done that. I would have taken the object, talked happy to the dog, and then tried again. Always keep the dog in the game.
    note that the handler really wants to "help" the dog and I want the handler to let the dog work harder. I'm moving away from pure shaping here and into a retrieve. My job is to start presenting my hands and making them available; Kir's job is to get the object into my hands.

Day Five

• Segment 1: Here, Katie sits in a chair; the goal is that Kir understand her job is to get the object into Katie's hands. Then Katie started moving it to different places, and Kir must find her "front/hands" and deliver the object. Because the slipper is a bit large, it runs into the chair seat or hand rests....she starts to work harder to lift the object and not to drop it. Note that Katie still isn't' giving her enough time to chew and re-engage before doing the next round. Must slow down...At the end, door shutting causes Kir to stop working, so we end the session.
  • Segment 2: Here, I'm working on four things; carrying the object and moving towards me, turning towards me with an object, getting the object into my hands no matter where they are, and adding a stay/release. Note how my higher level of energy gets more energy and engagement from the dog. This may or may not be good, depending on what you are trying to do. I was able to combine many new elements because she already has a good base understanding of what we're doing.
  • Segment 3: Here, Katie is reducing the reward schedule by substituting work that the dog is already fluent in as the reward. She is also practicing the release from a stay and adds the name of the object for the first time (slipper). Her enthusiasm and energy could have been higher the first time the dog was being asked to go into work instead of getting a cookie. On the next attempt the dog is distracted by a smell. Katie should have picked up the slipper immediately (lost opportunity to work or earn a cookie) and re-engaged the dog. I would have rewarded about half of the retrieves and asked for work the other half of the time.
  • Segment 4: Back to the chair to practice placing the object on the right hand side. Not a particularly successful session - not enough energy or new challenge. Again, Kir hears a sound in the distance and it has dampened her ability to work.
  • Segment 5: In the final segment, we decide to add a new object. We start with touch; slight mouthing on a coke can. This is my favorite segment, because it clearly illustrated the problem with a "play based" retrieve. Here, you see what happens when Kir starts having fun with the coke can....she hits it with her feet a few times and realizes that this is sort of fun. Now she starts to interact with it like a toy. You see that she takes it and runs off with it! That is what would have happened with the slipper if we had tried to turn it into a play object early on.
  • Because these five videos accomplished our main goal of showing each step of a retrieve on video, we have agreed that this is the end of the "everything on video" phase. Now, Katie will go home and will shape the coke can one step at a time; emphasizing the early step of mouth on object with an immediate click and reward, to take out the 'play' aspect of the object. Only when Kir is looking at the coke can as a pure object (not a toy) will katie even think about adding some distance or (heaven forbid!) throwing it. Then, because Katie is interested in teaching object discrimination, she will attach a name to the can.
  • We may (or may not) do a 6th video, but understand that work will be done between videos, so it will no longer show the entire process.

Will continue to add links when/if they're posted.

Edited to add video descriptions written by Fenzi. Added video descriptions to the quoted text above too.

a life less fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 19, 2011

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Awesome, thanks for those! In the end I decided to wait a few weeks to work on delivery to hand because Mouse wasn't really into the early clicker sessions we tried; at least not for something so complicated. I settled on getting her to touch first my hand and then the offered object with her nose, and making a huge fuss of her for that. I've spent the last couple of weeks working on building up other retrieve skills, and we're only now working on 'hold it'.

I think the difference with training a lurcher up for rabbiting and training an obedience candidate to retrieve is that the object we want her to retrieve isn't 'dead' or static - it's alive and running, and the hound has to work very hard to catch it. Having caught it, for the hound to come back to you at all is quite a big feat, and something a lot of lurcher handlers struggle with. Worst case scenario is that the lurcher kills the rabbit then runs away from the handler to devour it. At that point the lurcher and handler are no longer working as a team; the harmony between the partners has broken down.

On the other hand, here's an example of a whippet lurcher (also called Mouse :3: ) working beautifully with her handler (:nms: if you don't want to watch rabbits being killed). The retrieve live to hand is an important part of the whole picture, but equally so IMO is her making the decision to return immediately to the handler's side once the high value item has been gathered up. You can see at 4:35 or so that the delivery isn't particularly polished - she backs away from the handler slightly and lowers the rabbit to the ground - but she's completely comfortable bringing the prized object close to him and allowing him to take it from her. That's mostly what I've been working on with Mouse so far, and I'm really pleased with how enthusiastic she is about retrieving even heavy, fur-clad objects to my feet. (Edit: she'll also retrieve the same items when she 'catches' them on the end of a lure pole :3: )

That said, I do think it's important to work on delivery while she's still young, and I've started working on 'Hold It' with Mouse (and Dandy!) in the last two days. I've done three short sessions with each of them, and they have both progressed from nose bumps to holding the item for 5-10 seconds (in the case of Mouse) and 3-5 seconds (in the case of Dandy).

One issue I'm having with Mouse is she haaates sitting for any length of time, and usually drops to a down after a couple of moments. Therefore, her best 'hold its' take place when she's lying down (when she's standing up she tends to try and parade with the item, and when she's sitting she'll hold it while very carefully changing position into a down). I think her leg:body ration actually makes it uncomfortable for her to sit at the moment, so I think I'll try to move more towards shaping the behaviour while she's standing.

notsoape fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 19, 2011

JAVA SPARROW
Jun 2, 2011

Fraction posted:

If you don't have time to add another offleash walk in, you could try:
- Feeding him at mealtimes only for doing tricks, or giving him his meals from kongs and similar toys.
- Turn the short walk around the block into a lap or two of jogging or full out running around the block.
- Less lounging and more flirtpole, tug, etc, games in the evening.
I've been looking for an excuse to splurge lately, so I went out and bought a Kong Wobbler for him!

Thanks so much~ I'll begin giving him more walks around the block (I need them too, can't really jog right now... heh) and more flirtpole / tug games. His mental stimulation is admittedly 'nothing' now that I think of it, so I'll start working on some tricks with him using his kibble. I'll post about any progress he has.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Any advice working with a dog who isn't food motivated at all? My mother's Tibetan terrier is so uninterested in food that the trainer that my mother worked with told her she was not going to be able to clicker train her. I've tried everything from praising and petting her like crazy to different treats.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I've been reading this thread in advance of my plans to get a dog sometime relatively soon, but I wanted to thank the OP for their great rundown of training techniques and stuff.

I have a really troublesome person at my work who constantly asks for things outside of proper channels and tends to get nasty and bitchy when things don't get done like she asked (because she didn't ask correctly, or asked in the middle of something else and confused the tech working on it,) so I've been reading up on Positive Reinforcement/Clicker training and, while I cannot use a clicker and bits of kibble, ignoring her until she requests things through proper channels and then responding enthusiastically and promptly to her needs, has been both effective and highly amusing for my IT staff, since I let them in on the source of my new "policy" of dealing with this person.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

wtftastic posted:

Any advice working with a dog who isn't food motivated at all? My mother's Tibetan terrier is so uninterested in food that the trainer that my mother worked with told her she was not going to be able to clicker train her. I've tried everything from praising and petting her like crazy to different treats.

Does she like toys? You can use them as a reward as well

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

coyo7e posted:

I've been reading this thread in advance of my plans to get a dog sometime relatively soon, but I wanted to thank the OP for their great rundown of training techniques and stuff.

I have a really troublesome person at my work who constantly asks for things outside of proper channels and tends to get nasty and bitchy when things don't get done like she asked (because she didn't ask correctly, or asked in the middle of something else and confused the tech working on it,) so I've been reading up on Positive Reinforcement/Clicker training and, while I cannot use a clicker and bits of kibble, ignoring her until she requests things through proper channels and then responding enthusiastically and promptly to her needs, has been both effective and highly amusing for my IT staff, since I let them in on the source of my new "policy" of dealing with this person.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

wtftastic posted:

In addition to trying toys, how many different kinds of treats have you tried? I think people too often expect their dogs to love those gross dog 'cookies' that are supposed to pass as dog treats...I'm not sure why so many people expect their dogs to go wild for kibble and stale wheat biscuits. Don't give up on food until you've tried chicken, pizza, beef, liver, even the leftover bits from a yummy steak! I even bought my dog a bag of chicken nuggets once and cut them up into tiny pieces for her class and she loved them. As long as you don't overdo it and adjust her regular food on heavy training days, a little unhealthy, super yummy stuff can go a long way.

Also, try feeding her meals in training sessions instead of in a bowl, if you aren't already.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

wtftastic posted:

On top of the other solutions I would focus a lot on life rewards. Dog wants up on the couch? Gotta sit first. Mealtime might mean a down-stay. Sniffing the fire hydrant is earned through another sit. Progress will be slower of course. You just have to try and find any and all things the dog likes and then channel them through training.

coyo7e that's almost exactly what Pryor's Don't Shoot The Dog is all about : reinforcement in the real world. Doesn't matter if it's on a person, dolphin or dog. The effect is the same.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

JAVA SPARROW posted:

I'm a big (huge) fan of nosework as a way to tire your dog. Maybe try some form of tracking with the dog.

Here's a sort of an instructional video on laying a track:
http://youtu.be/0iyYjoVwnfQ

Riiseli fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 20, 2011

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

wtftastic posted:

Feed her ONLY as reinforcement for working for a couple of weeks. Don't let the dog go hungry for days on end, but a day or two won't hurt her if she's otherwise healthy and in good condition. Make her tasks so simple and the environment so peaceful that she'll get her share for the day, but she HAS to work for it. If she won't take the food to begin with, wait her out. All dogs have to eat to live, so food has inherent value for any living dog that's not terribly ill. Is the dog overweight at all? If so, increase exercise and get her to lose weight. If free feeding, stop right now. If she doesn't care for her kibble, feel free to switch to another brand or even raw if she prefers.

Also, get a copy of Jane Killion's When Pigs Fly!: Training Success With Impossible Dogs. It's excellent and it sounds like it's exactly what your mother needs.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I'd like some more info on the capturing training method, please! Sometimes Roger does a handstand while peeing. It's freaking bizarre quirk about him, I don't know if he thinks his feetsies are too dainty to touch piddle or what, but holy poo poo he can do handstands! He lifts his back legs completely off the ground, hovers for a second while peeing, then falls back down. It's not every time, relatively rare, really. Do you think he would be able to learn this though? I have some doubts because:
a) he doesn't do it super often
b) he may be too focused on his current task of peeing
c) he's still early in the rest of his training, this is like high school level stuff for a 1st grader.
d) ...what if he thinks he's supposed to pee while doing it, that isn't a cool trick at all oh god gross

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

drat Bananas posted:

I'd like some more info on the capturing training method, please! Sometimes Roger does a handstand while peeing. It's freaking bizarre quirk about him, I don't know if he thinks his feetsies are too dainty to touch piddle or what, but holy poo poo he can do handstands! He lifts his back legs completely off the ground, hovers for a second while peeing, then falls back down. It's not every time, relatively rare, really. Do you think he would be able to learn this though? I have some doubts because:
a) he doesn't do it super often
b) he may be too focused on his current task of peeing
c) he's still early in the rest of his training, this is like high school level stuff for a 1st grader.
d) ...what if he thinks he's supposed to pee while doing it, that isn't a cool trick at all oh god gross

You'll never know exactly how he'll interpret your capturing (whether he'll be too concentrated on peeing or will think he needs to pee to begin with) until you try! If you mark and reward him with high value treats each and every time he does it, he should start doing it a lot more (peeing while doing a handstand gives me cheese, this is good :downs:), and once he starts offering the behaviour more you'll be able to mould it into hand stand without peeing, in different contexts, etc.

---

Lola's tug drive is coming along quite nicely, I think. :toot:

http://youtu.be/zkpnhH6jF-A

Tomorrow I'm going to start adding distractions (mostly bringing my other dog to the field, on-leash and tied to the bench close by). Hopefully one day Lola can tug ferociously with strange dogs and people everywhere, and I can use it as a high value reward.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

Rixatrix posted:

Any tips on how to progress with Pi using Shirley's Retrieve? We're seriously stuck at the point where I'm catching the dumbell that he lifts/throws and I cannot for the life of me get Pi to offer any sort of hold.

Both of my dogs hit this hurdle too. I'm approaching it differently with each dog. Keep in mind neither is overly familiar with the clicker (so don't know to offer behaviours or experiment with different interactions with the object). We're all novices, and learning as we go along (and open to critique!).

Dan is a serious and slightly sensitive dog. You wouldn't know it watching him interact with other dogs or strangers (he's friendly, playful and patient) but with his own people he's pretty sensitive to disapproval. If you scold him for anything (not a regular 'hey, quit it' reprimand but a pointed finger 'now listen to me, young man' kind of scold) he stares at you in disbelief, his tail slowly falls, then he tucks it between his legs and begins to race around the house or garden zoomies style. He'll do a good few laps before he comes back to make up with you - he's done this since he was a puppy, I've never heard of it in another dog, it's kinda weird.

The hold/retrieve clicker training has been interesting. He moved pretty quickly through the early stuff (touch it, lick it, mouth it a little, put your teeth around it while I hold it, hold it for a moment), but like Rixatrix we stalled when it came to 'hold it for longer than a moment'. When I reported the other night that he was holding 3-5 seconds, he was really just mouthing it a couple of times before spitting it out. Today he was just taking the item in his teeth, spitting it out instantly and looking for his treat. He would happily do that 50 times in a row (we didn't actually do it 50 times, but he had a 100% hit rate) but once you changed the goalposts so that spitting it out was a 'nope, try again' he got demoralised pretty quickly. And by 'demoralised' I mean 'gazing folornly into my eyes, whining and whimpering, trying to figure out why he's not a Good Boy anymore' :smith:

The way I've been approaching it is to set him up for success. He knows 'back-up' (walk backwards a couple steps) so I experimented with having him stand and take the item, then I would gently 'push' the item as I was holding it so that he would take a few steps back - then click, reward, make a huge fuss. He cottoned onto this reeeally quickly, and he was OVERJOYED that he had found a new Thing to make me Happy - taking an item from me, walking back a few steps, then dropping it. He wanted to do it over and over again, wagging his tail the whole time and lunging for the item like 'Yeah I got it!'. Approval for this dog is as important as treats, I need to make it super easy for him to succeed.

Right at the end of the training session I lowered the item so that he had to lift it up before taking a few steps backwards. My plan is to sloooowly shape this so he lifts the item up from the ground, then backs into a sit and I take the item from him. We'll work on it until he will pick up a thrown object, come and sit holding it in front of me and then have me take it from him. That's my long term target: I'm not too fussed about sustained holds from him since this is all for fun and not formal in any way. If we get there, we get there but if not - no big deal :).

Mouse is an assertive, confident puppy. She actually has a pretty good attention span for a pup, but she is not all that interested in treats unless they are super high value (which I save for puppy classes right now) and bores quickish when we work 1-on-1. What does motivate her, funnily enough, is competition. Since reading that dogs pay attention to other dogs around them during trick-and-treat sessions I've experimented having Dan and Mouse side by side for training. It doesn't do anything for Dan, so all the 'let's learn something new!' training sessions with him are 1-on-1 - but Mouse is currently waaaay more pumped to learn stuff if she has to compete for my attention with Dandy (who I'll just ask to do regular stuff that he knows by heart, like spin, speak etc).

Like Dan, Mouse powered through the early stuff but hit a sticky spot when it came to lengthening the hold. She'll hold it a little longer than Dan, but inconsistently. Sometimes she'll hold for 5+ seconds, but it seems like she's always just waiting for the chance to spit it out - her emphasis is on the spit, I think because the treat (necessarily!) always comes right after. So, instead of working on a sustained hold at this point, I'm working on getting her to drop it into my *hand*, rather than on the floor. Instead of building up duration I'm trying to build up accuracy - she gets to do what she wants to do (spit out the thing and get a treat!), and from my point of view we're working on the thing that matters most to me (retrieval to hand). We made good progress today, she's much more amenable to 'Ah, try again!' than Dandy. And, like I say, working in 'competition' with Dan seems to motivate her to try harder for longer, although we do 1-on-1 sessions too :).

As with Dan I'm going to try to build on this behaviour, and what I'm aiming from her eventually is to lift an item from the floor and place it into my hand. We'll then build on distance and value of item. My time-frame for this is looong, potentially; I'm definitely keeping the following in mind.

"As a general note, this dog's pace of learning is NOT normal. Because the dog/handler team has a ton of shaping history, the dog learns very very quickly. what matters is that she remains engaged and wants to learn. It is totally ok if it takes you six months to get your retrieve."

Welp, those sure are some :words: about my dogs. In other news, Mouse saw sheep for the first time today and ignored them studiously. Good girl!

Oh; one final note - finding the right size and shape of object to work with makes a huuuge difference. I've tried a few different things but a puppy rope toy, knotted at both ends, has worked best for us.

notsoape fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 20, 2011

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
So an update on the dog we just purchased last week (6 month old Cocker Spaniel/Poodle) :

After only 5 days with us, Hurley is doing so well. So far, he will sit, stay, lay down, get in his crate, and fetch all on command. No accidents in the house, and he loves to cuddle and sleep the day away. We crate him in our room at night and he doesn't keep us up or anything, and I can pretty much leave him on his own while I do things around the house. We got SO lucky with him. There is one thing he doesn't do very well though, and that's go for walks.

He will stay with us most of the time, but he is just LOVES to examine absolutely everything. We give him some time to do that, but we do try to keep him focused on staying by our side. Any tips/tricks for an overly curious dog? We are using one of those leashes that hook from the front. I want to make sure we teach him properly.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Rixatrix posted:

Feed her ONLY as reinforcement for working for a couple of weeks. Don't let the dog go hungry for days on end, but a day or two won't hurt her if she's otherwise healthy and in good condition. Make her tasks so simple and the environment so peaceful that she'll get her share for the day, but she HAS to work for it. If she won't take the food to begin with, wait her out. All dogs have to eat to live, so food has inherent value for any living dog that's not terribly ill. Is the dog overweight at all? If so, increase exercise and get her to lose weight. If free feeding, stop right now. If she doesn't care for her kibble, feel free to switch to another brand or even raw if she prefers.

Also, get a copy of Jane Killion's When Pigs Fly!: Training Success With Impossible Dogs. It's excellent and it sounds like it's exactly what your mother needs.

I'm actually on my way back to my place after spending a week with my folks, so I'll try and bring it up with her. Maisie isn't overweight and is actually fairly skinny (even with her massive tibbie fur I can feel ribs fairly easily). She just doesn't eat a lot, and my mother has had her checked for medical issues to determine if there is an underlying issue with that. They feed her a balanced, home cooked diet that she likes. She hates kibble and will reluctantly eat wet food, but only the stinkiest, shittiest stuff.

I've suggested using her favorite (as in, she'll pick it up and beg you to play for hours) toy, and I'll maybe link her to a book description. I get the feeling my mom feels like I am picking on her and her dog and I'd rather just gently suggest than badger her. After all, Maisie's issues are fairly minor, but her lack of training makes working or walking her a pain in my parent's rear end.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

get out posted:

So an update on the dog we just purchased last week (6 month old Cocker Spaniel/Poodle) :

After only 5 days with us, Hurley is doing so well. So far, he will sit, stay, lay down, get in his crate, and fetch all on command. No accidents in the house, and he loves to cuddle and sleep the day away. We crate him in our room at night and he doesn't keep us up or anything, and I can pretty much leave him on his own while I do things around the house. We got SO lucky with him. There is one thing he doesn't do very well though, and that's go for walks.

He will stay with us most of the time, but he is just LOVES to examine absolutely everything. We give him some time to do that, but we do try to keep him focused on staying by our side. Any tips/tricks for an overly curious dog? We are using one of those leashes that hook from the front. I want to make sure we teach him properly.

Glad to hear everything is going so well. Congrats!

The issue is that your new pup sees more value in his environment than he sees with you. He's not been sufficiently rewarded for staying with you while on leash. Check out the 4th post of the OP where I link a few loose leash walking/heeling how-tos.

Teaching a dog to walk with you is just about the toughest thing you'll ever teach them. It takes months to build really solid behaviour. So try a method and stick with it.

I would also start working on a "go sniff" cue where you allow him to go sniff, meander and enjoy himself. That way you can have the on leash time be your time with a few breaks in between as rewards for good behaviour. (The technical term for that is Premack. Basically if the dog does his homework he gets rewarded. Ultimately the homework becomes the precursor to the reward, and therefore doing the homework enthusiastically is intrinsically reinforcing. Blahblahsciencetalk.)

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a 2 year old yellow Lab, and he is a pretty great dog (well he doesnt poo poo in the house or maul my face if I take a toy off him!).

Each weekend, we go to the park and he meets up with another dog, who is a lab/something cross (girl dog). We have been doing this for around a year now, as they get on so well. They pretty much zoom around for an hour, knocking each other over, and play fighting.

The issue that has started happening recently, is that my dog has broken the skin on the girl dog's neck, when they are playing. She yelps, and he lets go, but then it's too late. She also bites his neck, almost hanging off him sometimes, but as he is a Lab, he seems to have some extra skin around there, almost like a neck beard (or as my other half liked to say, "he has too much face!"), so his doesnt seem to ever break.

Once the skin is broken, the girl dog tends to scratch it and it gets infected. Now I, nor her owner, want to stop them playing, because once they see each other on a Saturday morning it's like some long-lost lovers reunion (minus the love, both have been neutered), and they play so well.

On the other hand, there will be long-term issues if the skin is continually getting broken in the same place week after week.

Things I have tried:

1) Keeping him on lead so i can pull him off if he does this. Problem is, the act has already happened when I realise its time to pull him off.

2) Spraying him with a water bottle. Again, it makes him stop, but only when the action has happened!

Imagine you are trying to see what is going on in a whirlwind of dog parts, with them going head over heel, flopping on their backs, zooming around at like 100mph...its difficult to know when the neck is being "attacked".

To give some background for my dog:

He is as gentle as anything when taking food from your hand. When he plays with me, he has very good bite inhibition, and has never broken my skin, not even close. He is pretty obedient, stays next to me on walks (unless he sees another dog, in which case he greets them, tries to play, then comes back if they arent interested). He doesnt have any issues such as seperation anxiety, and is very very submissive towards humans and most other dogs.

Help me out guys!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

spud posted:

Things I have tried:

1) Keeping him on lead so i can pull him off if he does this. Problem is, the act has already happened when I realise its time to pull him off.

2) Spraying him with a water bottle. Again, it makes him stop, but only when the action has happened!

The issue is that your big durfy Lab is getting too excited and is no longer in control of his actions. The biggest key here is management, with training being secondary.

The management is keeping both dogs under a certain arousal level. When they get too carried away injuries happen. If they're getting manic that is when you stop play, give them a rest, reward for calming down with some food, then allow them to reengage on a lower level.

The training can take the form of creating a bomb-proof recall. If things are getting out of hand you can recall one (or both) of the dogs, and reward with treats like crazy for ceasing play and paying attention. This will allow you to manage their arousal levels more easily if you're not having to physically separate them. The tricky part is that your recall needs to be more reinforcing than the play, so at least for the first little while I'd break out the steak for a reward for speedy responses.

If you're consistent in giving time outs when the dogs get too excited then they should (slowly) begin to figure out that play consists of lower-key interaction.

The problem with the way you've been approaching this is that you've been reactive, not proactive. By that time the damage is done. It's easier to be reactive, but the key to good dog training and management is planning ahead. And remember that your management isn't punishment. Make it as enjoyable as playing with the other dog is. Play quick obedience games, etc. It's just allowing your dog to cool down a bit before someone gets hurt.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

a life less posted:

The issue is that your big durfy Lab is getting too excited and is no longer in control of his actions. The biggest key here is management, with training being secondary.

The management is keeping both dogs under a certain arousal level. When they get too carried away injuries happen. If they're getting manic that is when you stop play, give them a rest, reward for calming down with some food, then allow them to reengage on a lower level.

The training can take the form of creating a bomb-proof recall. If things are getting out of hand you can recall one (or both) of the dogs, and reward with treats like crazy for ceasing play and paying attention. This will allow you to manage their arousal levels more easily if you're not having to physically separate them. The tricky part is that your recall needs to be more reinforcing than the play, so at least for the first little while I'd break out the steak for a reward for speedy responses.

If you're consistent in giving time outs when the dogs get too excited then they should (slowly) begin to figure out that play consists of lower-key interaction.

The problem with the way you've been approaching this is that you've been reactive, not proactive. By that time the damage is done. It's easier to be reactive, but the key to good dog training and management is planning ahead. And remember that your management isn't punishment. Make it as enjoyable as playing with the other dog is. Play quick obedience games, etc. It's just allowing your dog to cool down a bit before someone gets hurt.

Okey dokey, thanks for that! The little fecker is getting steak next weekend then :P And I will try to implement what you said.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

spud posted:

Okey dokey, thanks for that! The little fecker is getting steak next weekend then :P And I will try to implement what you said.

If you don't already, you could try using a whistle to cut through the sound better than your voice. If you start whistle training whenever you're walking (so responding to the whistle = super awesome liver, or steak, or hot dog, or whatever), it might hit better when he's super amped up at the weekend. You don't want your voice to get lost in the din, which it might if he's playing fairly rowdily.

E:
VVV Put him on a leash, cue him to go to the toilet, and then ignore him until he does (no physical or verbal contact). You could walk him around a couple of times, but just make it clear that toilet breaks are not the time for playing.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 21, 2011

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
When we take Hurley out back to poop/pee, sometimes he will just run around like a 6 month old puppy. Imagine that! Is there anything I can teach him that will make him know it's time to go to the bathroom and not run around for 20 minutes?

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
More on the retrieve to hand.

I've done a pretty exhaustive review of the videos of clicker-shaped retrieves online, and also read a few online walkthroughs. There are different ways to approach the behaviour chain.

One approach, as demonstrated in the videos alifeless posted, is to concentrate initially on the hold. The shaping works towards rewarding the dog for gripping the object, and then the work is towards improving on the grip. The dogs gets clicks for a good grip, a longer grip, moving while gripping the object etc. Another example of this tack can be found here. Edit: once your dog has mastered gripping the object while you are also holding it, whether sitting or while moving, you'll then move onto independent pick ups/grips and delivery to hand. Note that Firez doesn't ask the border collie to lift the item without assistance until the end of the third video, but from that point on the emphasis is all about the dog independently lifting the item into the handler's hand.

Another approach is to work from the drop to hand backwards. The dog initially gets clicks for dropping the object, spitting it out into your hand. A good write up is here (the formatting is wall-of-texty). You can see a video of a similar method here. Edit: the Schutzhund article recommends literally shoving the item into the dog's mouth right from the get-go - no gradual shaping of a hold.

quote:

Begin by ever so calmly and quietly and with as little ado as possible, slipping the dowel into the dog's mouth. This is NOT the important part, so don't make a big production out of it! DO NOT say "take it" or anything. Just slide it in there and I can almost guarantee you that he will instantly spew it back out at you. When he does this, click it, and give him a treat

Just based on my own recent experience - and Rixatrix' post - if you have a remotely sensitive dog, I think it's better to shape a hold first (click for nose touch, licking, mouthing, gripping) than just shove the item in there. If you're lucky, the dog will get the idea that 'hey, mom/dad really wants me to hold onto this thing!'. You can then easily work on longer and longer sustained holds, recalls with the object and cued drops.

However; if when you get to this stage your dog, like ours, is super eager to spit the item out the minute you take your hands away from it, you can choose from a couple of different paths to get over the hump.

So, you have a dog who will take an object in his mouth and then immediately spit it out. You want to build up to a good retrieve to hand.

If you want to follow Approach One (focusing on the hold) I think it's best to go back a step and keep a hold of the object yourself - with two hands at first - while it is in the dog's mouth. Work on sustained holds - first hold the object in place and reward for several seconds of mouthing, then shape towards a good behind-the-canine grip (again while you are holding the object). Build up towards encouraging the dog to move towards you while you are both holding the object. Do not take your hands off the object again until the dog is capable of sustained stationary and moving holds while you are also holding the object (obviously this may take several sessions). Edit: Your next step will be to gradually phase your hands away during the holds, and focus on delivery to hand as demonstrated in the Firez videos. This is the approach I'm now using with Dan.

If you want to follow Approach Two (focusing on the delivery), change the way you offer the object to the dog. Put the object on the flat of your hand, like you're offering food to a horse, and wait for the dog to pick the item up and drop it back into your hand. Reward. Do this over and over and over, and always click after the item is back in your hand. I would keep this up for a few sessions before moving onto the next stage - moving your hand position so that the dog has to move their head and, eventually, their whole body to deliver the item correctly. This is the approach I'm now using with Mouse.

Edit: To sum up very generally - if your dog is picking up an object only to immediately spit it back out, you need to consider whether you want to;

i. Click before the spit-out, rewarding your dog for sustained stationary and moving assisted holds (and not asking for independent holds and hand delivery until your dog has these nailed.)

ii. Click after the spit-out, rewarding your dog for delivering the item correctly no matter how short the hold.

IMO Approach One sets the dog up for success better, since you retain a lot of the control over the object in the early stages. Approach Two requires more thought and trial/error from the dog to advance through the stages, but the emphasis is on delivery to hand and IMO would be the best foundation for a formal or gundog style retrieve. The path you choose should depend on the character of your dog and your reasons for teaching the retrieve.

On a related note, the client in alifeless' videos is SO LUCKY to have a pro who will work one-on-one with her like that. Clicker training to shape complex behaviour chains is kind of daunting as a novice - you're always second guessing yourself, wondering if you're moving too fast or too slow - and when you hit a hurdle it can be tricky to know the best route to take to move beyond it. The trainer is shaping the handler as much as the handler is shaping the dog, and that's awesome. Is it common for dog trainers in the US to offer one-one-one clicker instruction? No-one in my area advertises that they do it, although there are a few clicker classes offered (for dogs over 6 months, which wouldn't help Mouse right now).

notsoape fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 22, 2011

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

That's a good overview notsoape, thanks for that! One on one training sessions are fairly common, at least in my area. There are usually training clubs that do group classes but individual trainers within the club are usually available for individual hourly sessions.

Right now I'm working on shaping Major to bring things towards me instead of wandering off with them. He's gotten to the point where he's happy to hold and carry things but he then steals them to go chew. I know back-chaining gives a more solid retrieve but I think we need to work on this part first. The criteria right now is just picking up the bumper and facing me, in a couple of sessions I'm going to limit it to picking up the bumper and moving one foot towards me.

I got Maj's lab results back and it looks like he has low-normal thyroid values (bottom 30% T4, weirdly low TSH). His regular vet said it was all fine but I'm waiting to hear from the behaviorist before I write it off as normal. It seems everything I read says either having no t4 at all is completely benign or even slightly low values will make your dog crazy and its probably due to vaccines :tinfoil: Ugh. This is why I pay his shrink the big bucks to explain these things to me and give me the research to back her decisions up.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

notsoape posted:

Thanks for this! I'm going to try approach 1 with Psyche as she tends to fling the toy to the side when she takes it from me and asking her drop it back into my hand would probably be a frustrating exercise.

My trainer offers one-on-one sessions...at $80/hour. :( I don't know if that's a normal rate, but it's not something we can afford even for reactive training, much less justify for fun shaping lessons.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

wtftastic posted:

You already got a lot of answers, but I would recommend that you check out the Whole Dog Journal. A year long subscription is dirt cheap, like $12 bucks or something, and the content is, by and large, excellent. You also get access to all past issues online. That's good because last month's issue (July) had like a three page article dedicated to other forms of rewards for training that were not food.

getout posted:

When we take Hurley out back to poop/pee, sometimes he will just run around like a 6 month old puppy. Imagine that! Is there anything I can teach him that will make him know it's time to go to the bathroom and not run around for 20 minutes?

I had a really long post on house training that has apparently been buried in archives, and I don't have access to go get it, but I think I address that in here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409623

Basically once you've got a cue for "I need to go outside" and an elimination cue, you go out, do your routine, give the elimination cue and wait for some small period of time. If the dog doesn't eliminate, it's back inside. Rinse and repeat as necessary. This will take a long time to really work, but it DOES work. I do this with our golden in our apartment.

It's important to be consistent about how you cue your impatience. I always tell her I'm going to count to 10 and then we're going inside. I slowly count to 10 and if I get there and she's not mid squat, we go inside and she doesn't get another chance for at least 15 minutes. Now if she doesn't go right away, she always goes at count 7 or 8.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

I have archives, this is your post from that thread:

MrFurious posted:

No one has really answered your question with any depth, so I expect you to ignore all of their posts, which is unfortunate. They also could have been a little more grown up about it too.

The short version is that you need to view your dog as a toddler. Every time she performs a behavior, the result is the same. It's a very basic cause and effect relationship. She whines, you eventually let her out, you put her back in, she whines again, and then you give her some (negative) attention. It's a routine at this point. You can break this cycle by just ignoring the whining altogether, but you should expect the behavior to get worse and worse until it finally disappears. Immediately before that it will reach a peak, which is referred to as an "extinction burst."

The posters above are right to give you a hard time, as you're demonstrating some fundamental misconceptions about animal behavior, which are both common and, unfortunately, very widespread.

I would strongly recommend that you read up a little bit on Operant Conditioning. If you manage to stop by Barnes & Noble, look for this book: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Positive-Dog-Training/dp/0470241845

Flip to Chapter 2 and read through it. You can skip the beginning which has a sappy story about Patricia Miller and her dog. The rest of the chapter explains in very clear, bold text why the things you are doing are, at best, a short term solution to bad behavior, and have some very serious risks to damaging your relationship with your dog.

Chapter 2 is ten pages long. Please spend 10 minutes standing in the store reading this, because it is a minor investment of time and this information is critically important. You can also Google a lot of this information, but I have not seen it put together in such a concise and direct format.

Thank you for using Gar's archive retrieval service.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

notsoape posted:

Great post. I'm gonna link it in the OP with another retrieve post. Hope you don't mind!

I like how you've broken down the options, though I don't think the two methods are as distinct as you suggest. With Shirley's Retrieve you start with your first method to create a dog who is willing to put an object in their mouth. Then once you've achieved that you shift to your second method where it's the "to hand" portion that is focused on and rewarded. Obviously you can't work option B if you don't have a dog willing to hold an object to begin with. The beautiful thing about dog training is that there is no One Right Answer That Works For All Dogs -- I like how you've acknowledged as much and are working towards each of your dogs' strengths.

As for getting one-on-one instruction, yeah that's going to be pretty pricey. A lot of trainers don't focus much on it since it's not as lucrative for them. What I see a lot of people do is attend a lot of seminars where they can bring their dog along. I think it's pretty normal to have spots for roughly ten dogs + handlers, plus spots available for people to audit the seminar. I know Fenzi recently did a seminar like that, and there's another seminar that I'm eyeballing about Conditioning The Canine Athlete where I could bring Cohen to have her gait etc analyzed. It's not one on one, but I think these sessions are extremely informative and helpful. (Odds are I won't go, since it's $$$ I don't have.) Lots of awesome trainers will tour and do seminars like this -- I think some even make it across the pond.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

wraithgar posted:

I have archives, this is your post from that thread:
Thank you for using Gar's archive retrieval service.
Well then I guess I linked the wrong thread because that has nothing to do with house training. It's buried around here somewhere, I'll try to find it again later today.

EDIT: Found it. Here it is, just for the sake of posterity. Or posteriors. Some of this may not make sense out of context.

quote:

Here's the plan:
• If you are free-feeding food and water, stop. Feed and water three times a day throughout the day. Leave it down for 30 minutes at most, then pick it up. I recommend post wake-up meal (within an hour), a midday meal and early afternoon. Something like 6AM, 11AM and 3PM. Do not go late into the day.
• No pee-pads. Anywhere. If you want to get a pee stick for the yard, I guess that's up to you, but not a pad.
• Start training an elimination command. When you take him outside to go to the bathroom, give the command (we use "Get Busy"). If/When he goes, treat liberally and celebrate. See below.
• Keep him crated when you cannot directly supervise him. Always. Period. Even if you just have to get up to pee for 30 seconds.
• When you can supervise him, but don't want to be directly interacting with him (say watching TV or on the computer), keep him tethered to you on a short lead. Do this with a hands-free leash or run your belt through the leash. Keep him within 4-6 feet of you at all times. For the beginning, have him tethered even during play for the first week.
• Buy an egg-timer WITH A DISTINCTIVE SOUND that goes up to 2 hours at a minimum. Every two hours, ON THE DOT, you take him outside. You STAY outside until he pees, for up to 15 minutes. When you come back inside, reset the timer. EVERY TIME. (This is the most important step, bar none)
• When an accident inevitably occurs, don't react. Positively OR negatively. This is very important. As soon as he starts peeing, the most energetic reaction you should have is to call out a very happy "OOPS!". At the same time, you need to pick him up immediately and carry him outside to the grass. This is why I want you to tether him all the time. Stay out there with him for at least 5 minutes and let him sniff around. If he goes again, throw a freaking party. drat your neighbors, you want a house-trained dog.
• In addition to the 2 hour egg-timer rule, take him out immediately after waking up in the morning, and take him out 30 minutes after every meal. You can reset the timer if he goes to the bathroom outside.
• Spruce up your treats. Boiled chicken, hot dogs, something stinky and delicious. If stinky works, there are some treats PetSmart has started carrying that are like salmon, cod and something else. They smell like a dead fish and are absolutely repulsive, but they are the stinkiest treats I have ever smelled, so they will probably work. Treat liberally for going outside.
• Be patient. I cannot stress this enough. This will work, but it is going to take time before things start to click in his head. If you react harshly or angrily, he's going to get confused and you're going to slow down your progress. You are going to make mistakes. Don't worry about it and don't dwell on them. Try to recognize them and avoid them in the future.

Explanation:
Puppy has very bad habits. It's almost a total lack of habits. With that in mind, we are going to aggressively try to form new, appropriate habits as quickly and consistently as possible. We are effectively re-creating Pavlov's Dog with the egg timer (which, by the way, is the foundation of clicker training). We are accomplishing two things here: 1) We are limiting the opportunity for mistakes by taking him out frequently and regularly, and 2) We are associating this noise with going outside to pee and poop. I've got details below for how you can build upon this later if you want to.

You need to limit food and water intake because it's going to help you control when he needs to go. If he's eating at a variable schedule, you've got no predictors. You'll get a feel for the speed of his digestive tract if you pay attention. At his age, ours was going 10-20 minutes after eating. Set him up for success by constraining his schedule.

We also want to mark the desired behavior with a command, so that it becomes clear what we want, and to stress that we "Get Busy" outside and only outside. Make sure that when you get what you want outside, you reward appropriately. At this stage, peeing and pooping outside is a big deal, and your tone, voice and treats should reflect that.

The Future: (You can ignore this for now if you want to)
Once house accidents are minimal or gone (don't rush) and you're ready to try something more, decide what the indicator should be in your household for "I need to go outside." This can be bells on the door, a paw in your lap, whatever. We used bells on the door, so this advice will reflect that, but you should be able to tailor it to something else easily. Continue using the timer as above, leash up, go to the door and approach the bells with the dog. Try to get him interested in them if you can, but if not just ring them yourself, but make sure that she witnesses the interaction. Then open the door and go outside. Transition these next steps very slowly, only when one behavior is very consistent. Step two is to direct her to ring the bell while you stand there with leash in hand. Step three is wait at the door until she rings them without prompting (on leash). Step four is that you ask the dog to ring the bells before leashing to go outside, then ring them again on leash. Step five is slowly phasing out the second ring on leash. Step six is phasing out the direction to ring the bells to go outside.

Eventually the dog will start ringing the bells all the time just to go outside and sniff things if it wants to. In an apartment, this is irritating, so once house-training is rock solid, if the dog asks to go out, do it, but if he doesn't eliminate within 60 seconds of being outside, go back in immediately. The bells don't mean playtime, they mean pooptime.

MrFurious fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

a life less posted:

I like how you've broken down the options, though I don't think the two methods are as distinct as you suggest. With Shirley's Retrieve you start with your first method to create a dog who is willing to put an object in their mouth. Then once you've achieved that you shift to your second method where it's the "to hand" portion that is focused on and rewarded.

Oh, totally - I've gone back and made a few edits to clarify some points (I think I got a bit confused as to where I was talking about the retrieve in general terms, and where I was talking about solutions to the specific hump that Rixatrix and I both encountered)

quote:

Obviously you can't work option B if you don't have a dog willing to hold an object to begin with.

The article I linked to for option B actually recommends just plain shoving the item into the dog's mouth (and then rewarding them for spitting it out) from the get-go, but I don't think I'd advocate that for most dogs. Have edited along those lines too :).

Mouse is now lifting the item from the floor and dropping it into my hand for her click. We're not ready to play around with different positions of item or hand yet, but that will come. I'm giving Dandy some time off from retrieve shaping, but when we pick it back up we'll be working on assisted holds (stationary and moving) :3:

• Locked thread