Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I got the Catleap 27" today. Ordered the 15th from dcsamsungmall for $370 shipped from Korea, got here the 19. Impressive.

My model is matte, which is a pleasant surprise since I thought they were all glossy. No dead pixels as far as I can see, though I'm not looking. There is a bit of discolor in the bottom, white looks a bit warmer on the bottom compared to the middle and top of the screen. Doesn't bother me much to be honest, I expected some kind of imperfection, these displays must be, after all, rejects from what otherwise would sell for more than twice the price. The stand is lovely, but I don't mind, and I'll probably just get a VESA stand. No on screen display, but I simply calibrated it using the nvidia control panel.

Very impressed, very happy with it. The only downside is that the 560 Ti 448 is no longer overkill, now it struggles at max settings in some games. Time to wait for Kepler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Animal posted:

Doesn't bother me much to be honest, I expected some kind of imperfection, these displays must be, after all, rejects from what otherwise would sell for more than twice the price.

From what I have read about them, they are rated as A- quality meaning that upwards of 5 dead pixels (or 10?) are acceptable- as is some light bleed/color shift. They are still very excellent specimens, but they may be imperfect. Congrats on an almost perfect one!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Animal posted:

I got the Catleap 27" today. Ordered the 15th from dcsamsungmall for $370 shipped from Korea, got here the 19. Impressive.

My model is matte, which is a pleasant surprise since I thought they were all glossy. No dead pixels as far as I can see, though I'm not looking. There is a bit of discolor in the bottom, white looks a bit warmer on the bottom compared to the middle and top of the screen. Doesn't bother me much to be honest, I expected some kind of imperfection, these displays must be, after all, rejects from what otherwise would sell for more than twice the price. The stand is lovely, but I don't mind, and I'll probably just get a VESA stand. No on screen display, but I simply calibrated it using the nvidia control panel.

Very impressed, very happy with it. The only downside is that the 560 Ti 448 is no longer overkill, now it struggles at max settings in some games. Time to wait for Kepler.

I've realized that as long as I don't look for dead pixels, I won't notice them as long as I don't find them. No use in searching for something that might be there if I can't get a free replacement if I do find one. The backlight only bothers me at night honestly - during the day, its I'm not really looking at the bottom of my screen too much. Glad you got a speciman you liked :)

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Animal posted:

My model is matte, which is a pleasant surprise since I thought they were all glossy.

Is there a specific model that you ordered? Perhaps that's the key to finding matte vs glossy?

edit: What's the height with stand? I might have to modify my desk/find a vesa mountable one to get one of these (gently caress hutches)

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 19, 2012

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Tedronai66 posted:

Is there a specific model that you ordered? Perhaps that's the key to finding matte vs glossy?

edit: What's the height with stand? I might have to modify my desk/find a vesa mountable one to get one of these (gently caress hutches)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320865591510&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1123

I can't measure it at the moment. The stand is poo poo so if you can get a replacement go for it. Also, the Crossover model is more expensive but apparently comes with a good stand.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Animal posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320865591510&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1123

I can't measure it at the moment. The stand is poo poo so if you can get a replacement go for it. Also, the Crossover model is more expensive but apparently comes with a good stand.

Yeah I started reading the OCN/H threads. If the height will actually fit, I may very well get a LED-P crossover.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

Animal posted:

I thought they were all glossy, are you sure its not? Can you take a picture of it? I ordered the same one as you from the same person and if mines not glossy I'm going to be pissed.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Steakandchips posted:

Tell them to send you an advance replacement. They'll need a credit card number, but do it.

Still under warranty and they have to check and see if they have stock for a replacement so I get to wait 24-48h, but now I don't have to buy a new monitor! :toot:

...I hope the replacement one doesn't develop dead pixels during shipping. :ohdear:

Vatek fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 20, 2012

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

spanko posted:

I thought they were all glossy, are you sure its not? Can you take a picture of it? I ordered the same one as you from the same person and if mines not glossy I'm going to be pissed.

I'm sure it's not glossy. It's matte. There's a big difference between glossy and matte so I'm pretty sure. I won't take a picture, I'm going to bed. You'll just have to take my word for it.

-edit-
Sorry if you expected glossy, but I'm actually happy about it. I hate reflection. And this is not the dull matte with aggressive anti glare coating, its just perfect in my opinion.

Animal fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 20, 2012

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
I' considering the Catleap Q270. I have a Radeon hd5850 currently but will upgrade once the new Nvidia card come out in a few weeks. I looked at a couple of sellers on ebay and one seller says that the Q270 is compatible with the HD5850 and one says it isn't. Does anyone know whether or not it is? Also, is there a goon-approved ac adapter that people have been using?

Thanks

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
It has a dual link DVI so it should work.

You can use any standard 3 prong AC adapter thing-- I just used the one that used to be connected to my old monitor. They come with computers, monitors, PS3, lots of printers, etc. Just buy whichever is cheapest shipped from amazon/monoprice if you dont have any extras.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
I just got my Catleap, ordered it late Friday night on the 17th, received it today. Three days including the weekend is pretty fast considering it came from Korea. I got the regular Catleap from dcsamsungmall, this specific listing. Its $366 now but I paid $371.

The difference between this and my ZR24W is pretty huge. I guess it isn't glossy though and I'm disappointed in that. I thought they were all glossy. It is WAY clearer, and there definitely isn't any AG coating on it. I want to take some side by side pictures but my desk is small and I need to move some stuff. Everything is noticeably more vibrant. I wanted to get one with the glass but all the posts about dust and styrofoam behind the glass turned me off.

There is 1 pixel in the bottom right corner that is stuck black but only on red. I took a magnifying glass and spent 15 minutes going over the screen, the pixel stays black only on red, not on white, blue, or green. You can't see it unless you put your face against the monitor and that spot is red. I took a few pictures of it and would post them but you can't even see the pixel. The only camera I have is my HTC EVO and it doesn't show the pixel at all.

Other than that the monitor is flawless, its really amazing and I can't believe I got this for $371.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

Shmoogy posted:

It has a dual link DVI so it should work.

You can use any standard 3 prong AC adapter thing-- I just used the one that used to be connected to my old monitor. They come with computers, monitors, PS3, lots of printers, etc. Just buy whichever is cheapest shipped from amazon/monoprice if you dont have any extras.

Do you mean just a standard power supply wire like on the PS3 etc? Or is this something that doesn't have a wire attached like an adapter you need when you go to Europe etc.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

el_brio posted:

Do you mean just a standard power supply wire like on the PS3 etc? .

Exactly. It's got a power brick like a laptop and the cable that connects the brick to the wall is a Korean one, swap with the ps3 power cable and it's fine.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
I just ordered one from the same seller as Spanko above. I guess I rolled the dice :) I will post back with good pics from my DSLR.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
I was going to pull the plug on this but 27" of monitor seems so loving cool. I have a system that can run it, my only concern is that newer games will require more frequent video card upgrades. I have a 560TI.

That LG seems like the best bang for the buck when it comes to an IPS display. I'm getting back into photography and want something I can edit photos on accurately.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Updated with a blurb on the Catleap, can you guys give it a once-over to make sure I didn't miss anything?

It's kinda lost in there, I'll PM a mod to change our title again to draw more attention to it. I'm also curious to hear about experiences with 3rd party stands for the Catleaps; Monoprice stands proved...subpar to hold up my U3011.

Also, does the stock stand pivot? I want to get one for my parents, but if I love it enough, I might replace one of my 2209WAs with it.

e: also since I don't even know, quick breakdown of Achieva vs. Shimian vs. Crossover would probably be good too...

movax fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 21, 2012

ToastyX
Mar 15, 2004
N
yaaarrr!

movax posted:

Updated with a blurb on the Catleap, can you guys give it a once-over to make sure I didn't miss anything?

It's kinda lost in there, I'll PM a mod to change our title again to draw more attention to it. I'm also curious to hear about experiences with 3rd party stands for the Catleaps; Monoprice stands proved...subpar to hold up my U3011.

Also, does the stock stand pivot? I want to get one for my parents, but if I love it enough, I might replace one of my 2209WAs with it.

e: also since I don't even know, quick breakdown of Achieva vs. Shimian vs. Crossover would probably be good too...

The main difference between the three is the stand.

Catleap - This monitor has the worst stand, and you have to take the monitor apart to remove the neck of the stand and the useless plastic arch that covers the VESA holes. It wobbles, and some of them lean. It also sits higher than most monitors, like around iMac level, and there's no height adjustment.

Achieva - This monitor sits lower, and there's still no height adjustment. You can easily remove the stand without taking the monitor apart, and the VESA holes are easily accessible.

Crossover - The LED-P version has the best stand with all the adjustments: height, tilt, swivel, and rotate (pivot).

In terms of performance, they're all the same except the earlier Catleaps made in February can do 85-100 Hz while the current ones can't.

All of the monitors are glossy. The Achieva and Catleap both come in glass and non-glass versions, but several people have reported getting dust behind the glass on the glass models. There's really no point in getting the glass versions since both versions are glossy. That's just one more layer for them to screw up.

Animal posted:

I'm sure it's not glossy. It's matte. There's a big difference between glossy and matte so I'm pretty sure. I won't take a picture, I'm going to bed. You'll just have to take my word for it.
If you have a matte version, then you must take a picture for the sake of mankind! It's not supposed to be matte, and nobody else has reported getting a matte version.

spanko posted:

The difference between this and my ZR24W is pretty huge. I guess it isn't glossy though and I'm disappointed in that. I thought they were all glossy. It is WAY clearer, and there definitely isn't any AG coating on it.
That sounds like glossy to me.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
Here's a couple lovely Evo pictures.

red screen (you can't see the stuck pixel) - http://imgur.com/8YH1G

skyrim - http://imgur.com/Fx44q

I guess when I think of glossy I think of

Here's mine

edit: Here is a picture (stolen from hardforums) of the Crossover version, this is the kind of glossy I thought I was gonna get:

spanko fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 21, 2012

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

movax posted:

You should probably note that the pixel perfect "guarantee" these guys are selling does NOT mean a monitor with zero dead/stuck/whatever pixels. It means they guarantee no bright pixels in the middle of the screen and up to 4 dead pixels total on the sides. They don't consider dark stuck pixels to be a defect unless its in the middle area.

http://i.imgur.com/eey1u.jpg

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
Ordered a Catleap last night from dcsamsungmall. Woke up today and the monitor is in transit and has a delivery date of 3/26. Not bad considering that it is coming all the way from Korea. I live in Chicago and get stuff early sometimes since we are close to an air hub. It sure would be nice to get it in before the weekend.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

el_brio posted:

Ordered a Catleap last night from dcsamsungmall. Woke up today and the monitor is in transit and has a delivery date of 3/26. Not bad considering that it is coming all the way from Korea. I live in Chicago and get stuff early sometimes since we are close to an air hub. It sure would be nice to get it in before the weekend.

I live in Chicago, and my monitor was in customs for way longer than it took to get from Korea->Alaska->(I forgot where was next)-> Chicago (Like 30 hours in customs).

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ToastyX posted:

All of the monitors are glossy. The Achieva and Catleap both come in glass and non-glass versions, but several people have reported getting dust behind the glass on the glass models. There's really no point in getting the glass versions since both versions are glossy. That's just one more layer for them to screw up.

If you have a matte version, then you must take a picture for the sake of mankind! It's not supposed to be matte, and nobody else has reported getting a matte version.

Its matte with no anti glare coating. Its perfect! Notice the glare from a lamp pointed straight at it. If it was glossy it would be blinding you.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
I've been looking for some benchmarks to get an idea of what kind of a video card I will need to drive 2560x1440 and it looks like even the fastest cards still struggle at this resolution. Looks like another $500 down the drain for a new video card. I was planning to get a gtx580 once the Keplers come out. I'm not sure if that will cut it now... what are you guys using to to drive your 1440's? Anyone running 1920x1200 (un-stretched) as a compromise?

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
I have a GTX570 and so far Skyrim and SWTOR run fine at max settings, but I had to lower some settings in BF3. I turned AA off completely and set AF from 16x to 8x, also turned off bloom and motion blur but I do that anyway. I'll probably have to turn AF off completely though because it was still choppy in some places. I think a 580 would be fine so long as the rest of your system is up to par. The price is dropping on them too.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I run an overclocked 560 Ti 448, which is basically a 570. Skyrim runs at a constant 60fps maxed out with FXAA and no MSAA. BF3 stays in the 30's at Ultra with no FSAA. Shogun Total War also in the 30's. Deus Ex 3 between 40 and 60. Crysis 2 between the 30's and 40's, but it feels very smooth due to motion blur I guess.

I'm waiting for Kepler to drive down prices and then decide to either get another one of these cards and SLI, or sell it and get a 670 or something.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Animal posted:

I run an overclocked 560 Ti 448, which is basically a 570. Skyrim runs at a constant 60fps maxed out with FXAA and no MSAA. BF3 stays in the 30's at Ultra with no FSAA. Shogun Total War also in the 30's. Deus Ex 3 between 40 and 60. Crysis 2 between the 30's and 40's, but it feels very smooth due to motion blur I guess.

I'm waiting for Kepler to drive down prices and then decide to either get another one of these cards and SLI, or sell it and get a 670 or something.

I wonder how bad my GTX285 will be crying if I get one. I'm probably better off waiting until I get an IB/kepler setup.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Thanks for the feedback guys, I updated the description with quotes/links to your posts. If I understand correctly, looks like the ones tagged 'Yamakasi' brand are matte no-AG?

I'm thinking of getting one of these for my parents. My dad does photo work...on a 27" 1080p TN Samsung. He needs to know what he's missing, dammit!

el_brio posted:

I've been looking for some benchmarks to get an idea of what kind of a video card I will need to drive 2560x1440 and it looks like even the fastest cards still struggle at this resolution. Looks like another $500 down the drain for a new video card. I was planning to get a gtx580 once the Keplers come out. I'm not sure if that will cut it now... what are you guys using to to drive your 1440's? Anyone running 1920x1200 (un-stretched) as a compromise?

Yeah, even the "best" cards currently struggle at 2560x1440, but to their credit, it's games that had some love & care put into them for the PC that are really pushing them. Slashing AA/AF (I argue that at 2560x1600, AA is not as important) and effects like Ambient Occlusion can easily make you able to play at 60FPS.

I still am surviving with a 1GB GTX460 and the biggest disadvantage is that I VSync to 30/45FPS more than I do 60FPS, but at least all the games still remain playable. SWTOR is retarded though and performance tanks if I turn on shadows (:wtc:, BF3 runs near 60FPS with various effects maxed).

e: ^^^ I'm a "recent" college graduate...aka, I finally got disposable income to spend on hardware. But even now, I still like pulling out whatever elbow grease and other tweaks I can to make my GPU last longer. I'm planning on a little over 2 years for this 460, but I could probably wait for die-shrunk/later-production run Kepler if I really, really had too. I don't recall any titles off-hand that are launching Q3/Q4 this year that would be unplayable on a GTX 460. Killing off AA/AF, Ambient Occlusion, Bloom makes a huge difference. You can always justify replaying the game too, once you get new hardware...to play with it all settings maxed. That's what I did with pretty much every game that launched from 2008-2010 or so.

movax fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 21, 2012

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

movax posted:

Thanks for the feedback guys, I updated the description with quotes/links to your posts. If I understand correctly, looks like the ones tagged 'Yamakasi' brand are matte no-AG?

Well Animal and I both got the Catleap and its definitely not glossy. I would assume the Achieva Shimian is exactly the same with a different bezel and stand. The Crossover is definitely glossy, as you can see in the picture I posted from hardforums.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

spanko posted:

Well Animal and I both got the Catleap and its definitely not glossy. I would assume the Achieva Shimian is exactly the same with a different bezel and stand. The Crossover is definitely glossy, as you can see in the picture I posted from hardforums.

I think mine is closer to what you guys have. If it's off (or solid black) I can see some reflection, but otherwise, I don't see any reflecting going on.

Yamakasi Catleap.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

spanko posted:

Mine is definitely glossy. I'll post a picture sometime this week to show you guys.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

el_brio posted:

It's kinda funny but I'm finding with my ZR30w it's actually too big for some games. Mainly CS and SC2, I don't want a massive 30" window to play a game (not to mention 16:10 in SC2 is a smaller viewport than 16:9) so I actually run in windowed 1920:1080 for those games. For the D3 Beta I've been running full resolution though and it's awesome.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Fatal posted:

It's kinda funny but I'm finding with my ZR30w it's actually too big for some games. Mainly CS and SC2, I don't want a massive 30" window to play a game (not to mention 16:10 in SC2 is a smaller viewport than 16:9) so I actually run in windowed 1920:1080 for those games. For the D3 Beta I've been running full resolution though and it's awesome.

I actually kind of like 1920x1080 with a browser on the side. It's like having two monitors but no bezel between the two.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
Having been a CRT gamer from back in the day, I often find myself longing for some extra vertical real estate. May hope is that playing at a 16x10 resolution will give me the extra vertical view that I want (I've used 16x9 for the last few years). Ohhh.... Fatal, how is 16x10 (1920x1200) fov less than 16x9 (1920x1080)?

el_brio fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 21, 2012

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

el_brio posted:

Having been a CRT gamer from back in the day, I often find myself longing for some extra vertical real estate. May hope is that playing at a 16x10 resolution will give me the extra vertical view that I want (I've used 16x9 for the last few years). Ohhh.... Fatal, how is 16x10 (1920x1200) fov less than 16x9 (1920x1080)?

For SC2, the game will give you the same vertical view regardless of aspect ratio. Since 16:10 is narrower than 16:9, the left and right sides get cut off.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

unpronounceable posted:

For SC2, the game will give you the same vertical view regardless of aspect ratio. Since 16:10 is narrower than 16:9, the left and right sides get cut off.

Yup. Retarded bullshit to level the playing field I guess.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
Thanks to various nameless people, my monitor is now covered in fingerprints, dried-in saliva, and other distracting stains. I don't have any specialist cleaning cloths. What's the cheapest, easiest way to clean this poo poo off that's not going to scratch the glass or cause dead pixels or whatnot?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
High-purity isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

High-purity isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth.
I don't think I've got either of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
That's nice. They're a dollar each at the pharmacy. Go to.