Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Skandranon posted:

This math problem really isn't the reason you are a junior. You are a junior because you lack enough career/life depth to withstand setbacks. This makes you despair when things don't instantly go your way. You can get better at solving problems without getting better at the math, and you need to focus on that.
I would like to add to this mega-wisdom that many of us been here and went the hard path of denial. It took me a decade to step to acceptance after which it finally became possible for me to grow. Don't be like me, accept what Skandranon said as it is good stuff. This goes for almost all of us.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Yes we should all refuse to accept what Skandragon says.

I love ambiguity sometimes :v:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

Hey, it was early in the morning.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

(quote is not edit)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Pollyanna posted:

This is why I still consider myself a junior engineer.

Then you're always going to be a junior engineer because you're never going to know the solutions to all the problems.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Che Delilas posted:

I don't know what it is, but pretty much 50% of Goons make this mistake both in type and in voice chat. I can't tell if it's an honest misreading or a concerted effort to troll me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't refer to having the answer to the problem, but to the thought processes that everyone else went through and the background knowledge they had to try and get through it. My attempt at a solution wasn't nearly as informed and well-structured.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
This might be more of a general job question, but I had a second phone interview scheduled for a junior developer position that seems like a good fit, and they've blown past the time they were supposed to call me by a few hours, and haven't responded to my follow up email asking if something came up and when we could reschedule. The first interview went great, but should I assume that I'm being blown off, or is this relatively common?

Also how difficult would you say the average code interview for a junior position is? Looking online, it seems to be relatively easy stuff like bubble sorts, Fizzbuzz, and Linked list operations.I have no clue because one of my two internships was with a place that didn't do a code interview, and the other was waived because we got to talking about how their internal software was set up as an icebreaker and I guess the interviewer thought their test was going to be a waste of time after that.

Deki fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 29, 2018

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I don't refer to having the answer to the problem, but to the thought processes that everyone else went through and the background knowledge they had to try and get through it. My attempt at a solution wasn't nearly as informed and well-structured.

Doing well on interview questions is a skill that is tangentially related to whether or not you are a good senior developer but strongly related to whether you'll be hired as one

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Deki posted:

This might be more of a general job question, but I had a second phone interview scheduled for a junior developer position that seems like a good fit, and they've blown past the time they were supposed to call me by a few hours, and haven't responded to my follow up email asking if something came up and when we could reschedule. The first interview went great, but should I assume that I'm being blown off, or is this relatively common?

They got back to you?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Keetron posted:

They got back to you?

Yeah, the company has developers do the interviews at every step of the process and the interviewer had a minor crisis to deal with this morning apparently. Interview went well, I got told I'd be doing a code kata, and will get a final interview and likely job offer if the Kata didn't suck.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Deki posted:

code kata

Does this have any meaning/traction outside of codewars, or are they literally giving you an exercise on codewars?

e: vvvvv- That was my assumption, I just haven't heard the term used that way outside of codewars before.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 29, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's probably their way of referring to a coding exercise.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Pollyanna posted:

It's probably their way of referring to a coding exercise.

Yeah, I'm doing an exercise on their site.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Deki posted:

Also how difficult would you say the average code interview for a junior position is? Looking online, it seems to be relatively easy stuff like bubble sorts, Fizzbuzz, and Linked list operations.I have no clue because one of my two internships was with a place that didn't do a code interview, and the other was waived because we got to talking about how their internal software was set up as an icebreaker and I guess the interviewer thought their test was going to be a waste of time after that.

It varies all over the map, but if the company is competitive then I would expect much harder questions. The types of questions you've listed are at best phone screen questions at the top companies. In general I'd expect the coding questions asked to a junior and senior engineer to be similar. The addition, or weight given to it if hey ask it to junior engineers, of a design question for senior is the biggest differtiator.

asur fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 29, 2018

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Steve French posted:

The question also asked the nearest and furthest, which are both relatively meaningless if the question were about the underlying distribution function, right?

No. For example, a uniform distribution would require two of the three

Steve French posted:

Pretty clear from context that the question is asking about the median of the dataset/population, in which case it is perfectly reasonable to assume that the median is in the set, because it is so by definition

I didn't see a formal definition of the question. Can you link the question/post? I think you're trying to tell me that from a CS perspective the numerical median is not useful (unless used to find the element which contains the median somehow). Which is to say that, in order to handle data the median element is what you want, not the numerical median.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Boot and Rally posted:

I didn't see a formal definition of the question. Can you link the question/post? I think you're trying to tell me that from a CS perspective the numerical median is not useful (unless used to find the element which contains the median somehow). Which is to say that, in order to handle data the median element is what you want, not the numerical median.

It was just

quote:

Design a system to determine the closest, furthest, and mid-distance star from Earth given a CSV of coordinates, a large number machines, and a low processing constraint.

I read it as asking for a specific median star, in an interview I'd probably ask for clarification of what was meant by mid-distance star.

Has there ever been a thread about programming interview questions? Like asking questions and then people posting the answers they come up with? That would be fun and probably a good read for people prepping for interviews.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It was the median star.

Apparently the interviewers liked me enough that even though I wasn't a good fit for the team that first reached out to me, a different team is interested. :shrug: I suppose I succeeded in a way.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

It was the median star.

Then my solution is nonsense.

Pollyanna posted:

Apparently the interviewers liked me enough that even though I wasn't a good fit for the team that first reached out to me, a different team is interested. :shrug: I suppose I succeeded in a way.

This sounds like good news!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Boot and Rally posted:

Then my solution is nonsense.

Actually I'm a dumbass, it was the mean. And the other team could be a good fit, but we'll find out.

Wait, no, mean wouldn't make sense because the mean distance wouldn't necessarily match up with a particular star. Dammit, I got confused. It has to be median, it doesn't make sense otherwise.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 30, 2018

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Pollyanna posted:

It was the median star.

You seem to be a very negative person. This latest development is a good thing - you can't possibly expect to be suitable for every team, the fact that they still kept you in mind for another team indicates that they were very impressed. Maybe I'm missing something, but why are you so cynical/jaded? Haven't you only just started in this career (3-4 years?)

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
To be fair, I am feeling fairly jaded already and I am getting my eng. diploma tomorrow if all goes well :v:

----- edit ------

I've worked in the industry for 3+ years, and the biggest contribution for my disillusionment was a year-long stint making SW/FW for medical devices. We did tests, but they weren't done to shake out bugs, but to keep our rear end covered if poo poo happens and regulators come knocking.

This meant that there was a lot of low hanging fruit to improve our tests and increase how much certainty we could have in our code (eventually even increasing developer velocity as we could've caught various poo poo without doing labor-intensive debugging on the actual device), but didn't, because we didn't have to and no-one more senior wanted to rock the boat.

Xarn fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 30, 2018

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Xarn posted:

To be fair, I am feeling fairly jaded already and I am getting my eng. diploma tomorrow if all goes well :v:

----- edit ------

I've worked in the industry for 3+ years, and the biggest contribution for my disillusionment was a year-long stint making SW/FW for medical devices. We did tests, but they weren't done to shake out bugs, but to keep our rear end covered if poo poo happens and regulators come knocking.

This meant that there was a lot of low hanging fruit to improve our tests and increase how much certainty we could have in our code (eventually even increasing developer velocity as we could've caught various poo poo without doing labor-intensive debugging on the actual device), but didn't, because we didn't have to and no-one more senior wanted to rock the boat.

Did you ever discuss this with other developers or people above you?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

You seem to be a very negative person. This latest development is a good thing - you can't possibly expect to be suitable for every team, the fact that they still kept you in mind for another team indicates that they were very impressed. Maybe I'm missing something, but why are you so cynical/jaded? Haven't you only just started in this career (3-4 years?)

I am a negative person by nature, yes. I'm not saying this isn't a good thing, I'm just surprised - I was under the impression that I loving bombed the interview and they wanted nothing to do with me.

And yeah, I've just started this career...it's a lack of perspective. At this point, it's best to just hunker down and do a good job before trying to push myself too far.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I've practically been cyberstalking Polly here this whole time trying to tell her to lighten up and that she is actually doing REALLY WELL for herself at only 3-4 years in & coming from a bootcamp. She's THAT negative.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Update about my lovely work situation (I can take these to the dev thread as well, please tell me if that's where I should be posting):

Record number of lectures today (4) where after the third one (45 minutes long) I had to go into the bathroom to hide the panic attack I was having and cry/clean myself up. My original task of creating a unit test/new API had mushroomed into this new thing where he was questioning all the validity of the assertions and how the backend classes were written (sorry if I'm not using the right words, I'm exhausted and just got done with another crying jag), and wanted me to not only test the api to our separated out classes, but directly accessing the classes themselves and testing that. In the course of that, I found that there was no validation of the data (and why would there be, that was all done before it got there), and I needed to write more code to do that.

It was a perfect storm of all his past haranguing me about only following the patterns that had been there before and doing what he told me to, my anxiety with him in general, and his constant telling me I don't know enough about backend so I was hesitating and taking forever to write a basic check to see if this exists wrapped in a promise.

So after lunch he comes by and asks me to explain to him "What can we do to help you so that something this simple doesn't take you so long?" (summarizing, not exact words) along with a lot of stuff about JavaScript and Node and promises.

I kept trying to say that I was trying to follow his rule about patterns ("it's net new, there are no patterns, you should know that"), not as confident in backend ("it's JavaScript, that's why we went with Node so we can have that familiarity"), and just lack of confidence about what I was doing ("we need to find the in between zone of no confidence and arrogance"). None of my answers were good enough and it was just this endless circle of him trying to suss out exactly why I hadn't whipped that code out. Followed up by saying that he may have to re-think me doing this work because my efficiency in front end right now is far out stripping my back end work.

I'm so so tired, and I have to send out more resumes and pretend I feel good about my work

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Shirec posted:

I'm so so tired, and I have to send out more resumes and pretend I feel good about my work
You are not alone

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shirec posted:

Update about my lovely work situation (I can take these to the dev thread as well, please tell me if that's where I should be posting):

Record number of lectures today (4) where after the third one (45 minutes long) I had to go into the bathroom to hide the panic attack I was having and cry/clean myself up. My original task of creating a unit test/new API had mushroomed into this new thing where he was questioning all the validity of the assertions and how the backend classes were written (sorry if I'm not using the right words, I'm exhausted and just got done with another crying jag), and wanted me to not only test the api to our separated out classes, but directly accessing the classes themselves and testing that. In the course of that, I found that there was no validation of the data (and why would there be, that was all done before it got there), and I needed to write more code to do that.

It was a perfect storm of all his past haranguing me about only following the patterns that had been there before and doing what he told me to, my anxiety with him in general, and his constant telling me I don't know enough about backend so I was hesitating and taking forever to write a basic check to see if this exists wrapped in a promise.

So after lunch he comes by and asks me to explain to him "What can we do to help you so that something this simple doesn't take you so long?" (summarizing, not exact words) along with a lot of stuff about JavaScript and Node and promises.

I kept trying to say that I was trying to follow his rule about patterns ("it's net new, there are no patterns, you should know that"), not as confident in backend ("it's JavaScript, that's why we went with Node so we can have that familiarity"), and just lack of confidence about what I was doing ("we need to find the in between zone of no confidence and arrogance"). None of my answers were good enough and it was just this endless circle of him trying to suss out exactly why I hadn't whipped that code out. Followed up by saying that he may have to re-think me doing this work because my efficiency in front end right now is far out stripping my back end work.

He reminds me of my first manager. I hated his loving guts and he also set me up for failure with that contradictory “I need you to be assertive but not aggressive” crap. He tried to use me as a tool and make me into something I’m not, too. I’ve been there and it rapidly gets better when your manager isn’t a gigantic chode.

Has anyone higher up responded to your negative feedback? Or is the organization liking the other way?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Shirec posted:

"it's net new, there are no patterns, you should know that"

What the gently caress is "net new"? Is that the new "web scale"?

What a shithead.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

geeves posted:

What a shithead.

Ah sorry, didn't think of that being a weird term. He's really focused on doing stuff following patterns. So all our UI/endpoints/etc follow code patterns. That way we can create new w/o it being really time consuming (think templates). Net new is his term for doing something outside those patterns.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

He reminds me of my first manager. I hated his loving guts and he also set me up for failure with that contradictory “I need you to be assertive but not aggressive” crap. He tried to use me as a tool and make me into something I’m not, too. I’ve been there and it rapidly gets better when your manager isn’t a gigantic chode.

To be fair your first manager sounded misogynistic af and that was the root of the issue. Shirec's just sounds like a dick, unless 'The Graduate' was also a woman.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Shirec posted:

Ah sorry, didn't think of that being a weird term. He's really focused on doing stuff following patterns. So all our UI/endpoints/etc follow code patterns. That way we can create new w/o it being really time consuming (think templates). Net new is his term for doing something outside those patterns.

I can't wait to read his medium.com blog post on "net new". :v:

From the way you're describing your interactions with him, he's being very contradicting with you. Follow my Design Pattern Scripture! and Later follow my new testament: Net New.

Keeping to strict design patterns, etc. is an ideal but code can be checked during code review and refined to match the pattern if it's way off base.

"What can we do to help you so that something this simple doesn't take you so long?" - Terrible question and intimidating as gently caress, but not a bad question conceptually. Some tact would go a long way here.

"Hey, I noticed you might be a bit stuck on this, let's work on this problem together and get over this coder's block we all get sometimes." Or: "When you're stuck on something, just ask and we'll work on it together."

By working with you, he might have more clarity about where you need improvement and how best to help you. He can take that time to explain his Design Pattern Scripture to you at that time.

Instead it seems that he doesn't have the skills to be able to take progressive actions like this and would rather put the onus entirely on you. I've been there. It sucks.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

geeves posted:

What a shithead.

It's business newspeak, but it's pretty common. It means adding new functionality (instead of new work that's replacing a piece of the system that was there before). "Net" is supposed to be in the accounting sense, not the internet sense.

Of course, "it's 'net new,' there are no patterns" is absolute bullshit. Every language, framework, and problem domain develops patterns to deal with common issues and weak spots. It's the job of the tech lead and senior devs to teach and apply those patterns to new work, because they know the patterns and their benefits and drawbacks from having done it before.

Hughlander posted:

To be fair your first manager sounded misogynistic af and that was the root of the issue. Shirec's just sounds like a dick, unless 'The Graduate' was also a woman.

Maybe you haven't been following shirec's whole saga, but he's a massive raging "bitches only want to steal men's money" misogynist too.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Has anyone higher up responded to your negative feedback? Or is the organization liking the other way?

He is the CTO, and I’ve never met/talked to the CEO (besides one hello on a conference call). Our HR is one part time woman. It’s just me, CTO/boss, and my two co-workers.

One co-worker doesn’t really seem bothered by all the stuff and seems to just brush it off entirely. Other one, defacto team lead who has been there the longest (a year instead of 6 months for the other or 3 months me) and he’s getting frustrated as well because of issues I’ve mentioned. Boss is less awful
to them but he still goes off on giant rants.

Space Gopher posted:

Maybe you haven't been following shirec's whole saga, but he's a massive raging "bitches only want to steal men's money" misogynist too.

His newest catchphrase was “it’s cheaper to keep her” in regards to alimony. He said this because I mentioned having dinner with an ex, and it unleashed opinions. I’ve mostly learned to totally disengage if the convo gets political, but sometimes he hears me mention something to a coworker and like runs from his office to offer his thoughts.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

:stare:

Just got caught up - It's been a while since I have been in this thread (actually thought I was in another thread at first).

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Shirec posted:

His newest catchphrase was “it’s cheaper to keep her” in regards to alimony. He said this because I mentioned having dinner with an ex, and it unleashed opinions. I’ve mostly learned to totally disengage if the convo gets political, but sometimes he hears me mention something to a coworker and like runs from his office to offer his thoughts.

He seems actually pretty predictable and has copious amounts of venom to issue... have you considered trolling him? If you can get him to vent himself on his opinions, maybe he'll have less time to focus on you?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Skandranon posted:

He seems actually pretty predictable and has copious amounts of venom to issue... have you considered trolling him? If you can get him to vent himself on his opinions, maybe he'll have less time to focus on you?

This is the worst advice I’ve ever heard of for dealing with a hostile work environment.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Write a piece of software that takes all the fractions of a penny that accounting rounds off and put them in a secure account, make sure you don't miss a decimal point or other mundane details.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Shirec posted:

I'm sorry your boss is a dick. A single 45 minute lecture is a wtf all on its own. 4 in a single day is insane.

Hang in there and keep looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Co-worker was showing me how he was fixing a bug I raised and also taking the opportunity to teach me more about promises and Node. Boss overheard and started going off on me for “trying to learn things I can’t understand.” Asked me if I was an expert on a list of things I’ve been working in, cause that’s the only time I can look at this new stuff.

I’m apologizing and moving away from co-worker, and I get defended for the first time ever. Co-worker says he was the one that asked to show me. Boss is mollified but still goes on about how there is a process and we will slow down if it’s not followed.

It was nice to have someone stand up for me (much like y’all do here)

Shirec fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 2, 2018