Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Another huge battletech nerd for the pile.

I just finished a really fun campaign as House Marik so throw me in as a pilot for the FWL, preferably in an Awesome.

I've got PMs so it would be best to use those.

If we're still voting I'll vote 17th Recon.

Usual Barb fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Voting for Kell Hounds and a Griffin for maximum opportunities for :black101: against all Houses and Clans. At least, till my beloved Ghost Bears stop hibernating and start wrecking everybody's poo poo.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Corbeau posted:

If you're talking Heavy, then you only ever need one. The Timber Wolf. Clearly superior to every other Heavy Omnimech ever designed, it really points out the core flaws of having Omnimechs in the Battletech construction system.

The Nova Cat was a pretty good Heavy Omni, if you wanted a laser/PPC platform. Assuming you were fighting on polar ice caps, or a barren moon or something.

But yeah, the Timber Wolf was always a pretty nasty mech, doubly so in the Mechwarrior games where you could mix and match tech and you didn't really have slot systems. My favorite loadout when I played in non-stock MW4 leagues was one with 4 ER Large Lasers and a pair of Light Gauss rifles, or if you wanted lower damage but longer range (and slightly more manageable heat) 2 ERPPCs and 2 Light Gauss.

But back on the topic of medium/heavy 'mechs, I was always a fan of the Cauldron-Born. It's technically classed as a Heavy, but at 65 Tons and with it's low slung profile and relatively high speed, it really acts more like a Medium. Sadly, it's primary variant is pretty crap if memory serves (an LBX5, a gauss rifle, some SRMs and LRMs and maybe a couple med lasers?) but some of the alternate variants are really, really nasty. I want to say there is a Glass Cannon variant that is 2 ER Large and an Ultra AC20. That will ruin someone's day in a hurry.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

I wasted many a night and many a dollar on this stuff back in middle school. Let's see if I remember any of it! Sign me up as a pilot, please.
<REDACTED> at yahoo.com (no PMs yet, but if this is fun, it'd be a drat good reason to cough up :10bux:).

17th Recon if we are still voting.

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 20, 2011

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I'm a rookie, but I've been reading up on some of the free material to learn the game and doing some practice stuff in MegaMek. Put me in the Mechwarrior list, email at (email received).

A good poster fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 22, 2011

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I've never played Battletech, although the game seems interesting enough to give it a shot.

Sign me up for the pilot list if you're still accepting, please. I don't have PMs yet, so my email is projectterra at gmail dot com.

As for the faction vote, the Grey Death Legion sounds like fun.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I voted for the Kell Hounds before, and now I'm adding my vote for the Griffin.

Good luck, Pilots.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Agent Interrobang posted:

Well fine then, I'm naming all my mechs after My Little Ponies. The Clans shall come to fear the wrath of Pinkie Pie! :black101:

You know, I was happy when I didn't know what you were talking about here.

And then I found this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3382186&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

:stare:

God damnit I am not gonna watch that... No way. Can't do it. Mustn't... do it...

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

WarLocke posted:

You know, I was happy when I didn't know what you were talking about here.

And then I found this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3382186&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

God damnit I am not gonna watch that... No way. Can't do it. Mustn't... do it...

DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT. Seriously, best cartoon I've seen in years. Join the ranks of the faithful!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT. Seriously, best cartoon I've seen in years. Join the ranks of the faithful!

This reminds me of PoptartNinja's Star Trek LP.

The borg portion, specifically.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Artificer posted:

This reminds me of PoptartNinja's Star Trek LP.

The borg portion, specifically.

Resistance would be unfriendly. :3:

Just so this doesn't turn into a total derail: working on an Abridged History of the Inner Sphere, which I'll post in chunks once we start getting some actual battles going on.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Resistance would be unfriendly. :3:

Just so this doesn't turn into a total derail: working on an Abridged History of the Inner Sphere, which I'll post in chunks once we start getting some actual battles going on.

I think it would be cool if you could do a "mech of the week" style of update to include with your bit of history, since the whole fluff history is centered around our lovable robots of death!

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Axe-man posted:

I think it would be cool if you could do a "mech of the week" style of update to include with your bit of history, since the whole fluff history is centered around our lovable robots of death!

Absolutely, can totally do! I'll probably pick ones that are popular with the threadies here once battles get going, as I have pretty much all the technical readouts sitting on a bookshelf in my room.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Hot drat.
Voting Kell Hounds, Wolverine and signing up as a pilot. I haven't played anything MW in 10-odd years though, and remember practically nothing of the rules, etc.

No PMs unfortunately, so edited out for now would be the way to reach me.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 22, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Axe-man posted:

Yes and totally don't mention massive spoiler goes here natch so that they freak the hell out of the battletech newbies. :rock:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Yes and totally don't mention massive spoiler goes here natch so that they freak the hell out of the battletech newbies. :rock:

Oh, I said Abridged History of the Inner Sphere. I won't be covering the later era stuff until we've seen all the stuff I'm not even going to talk about what the gently caress are you crazy. I rrrrreally wanna see people's natural reactions to the truly weird poo poo.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

They will scream in terror once they see what you are talking about, they can be right bastards!

of course

the experienced players will poo poo their pants more!!!

heh

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Axe-man posted:

They will scream in terror once they see what you are talking about, they can be right bastards!

of course

the experienced players will poo poo their pants more!!!

heh

*begins shuddering uncontrollably with bad memories* bad touch, BAD TOUCH MAN D:

e: Seriously that is some 'Nam level flashback poo poo for me on a tabletop game, that ruined my poo poo so many times :stare:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Voting Kell Hounds, volunteering my participation as a Mechwarrior if you're still recruiting. Happy and eager to meet any sort of daily time requirement you may require, and to put in effort where applicable. This sounds terribly interesting and I'm impressed with the effort that's gone into setting it up so far.

I confess I've never played Battletech before, but that's never discouraged me from taking up a new game, and I've got some familiarity with the setting. My email is r9vm0 at unb.ca, would consider picking up PMs if they'd help.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 22, 2011

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Would people be allowed to take an Assault 'mech in with a Medium Lance if it were a CGR-1A1 Charger?

It can totally keep up with the little fellas. :v:

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I'm not familiar with the battle-tech board game, but I've played almost all of the video games, and the mediocre CCG for a couple of months years ago. I'd love to participate in the thread though, even if it's just cheering on the sidelines. That being said, I'll sign up as a mech-jockey for when you have space

While we're talking mechs, it's certainly far too slow for a recon group anyway, but is the Urbanmech as awful in the boardgames as it was everywhere else? I remember in Mechwarrior 2: Mercinaries it was a deathtrap because its head's hit box was disproportionally large. I imagine cold hard dice would make the ac/10 shine a bit better.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 12, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Octatonic posted:

While we're talking mechs, it's certainly far too slow for a recon group anyway, but is the Urbanmech as awful in the boardgames as it was everywhere else? I remember in Mechwarrior 2: Mercinaries it was a deathtrap because its head's hit box was disproportionally large. I imagine cold hard dice would make the ac/10 shine a bit better.

The Urbanmech is one of the designs that really only does one thing well (and that's stretching it) and any other scenario makes it utterly poo poo. Sort of like the Charger. :v:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Octatonic posted:

The urbanmech is a very very old design that was pretty much made for the closest infighting you could do in massive citys. Even then it is too light to be a proper brawler more relying jumping out of cover and landing on top of buildings to fire down on enemys.

In the battletech game, no matter what shape or size of the mech's features you get the same chance to hit the mech and the location of the hit, as you would with any other. Eitherway, they still are easy to kill but at only 30 tons, that is to be expected, versus other 30 tonners, they frequently have to jumpjet up into the air and then down again to be able to turn enough to even target the enemy mech. Since you can turn to any facing in mid air without using a move. They are just too slow against the others.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Abridged history of the universe:

Civilization became great. There were many stars in a League of Stars. But then there was fight! All knowledges exploded! Now, you hero are a giant robot warrior of peace. Fight!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I guess you must have missed when I edited in a 'Mech pilot request to my post on the second page.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Holy poo poo, sign my rear end up!

raverrn@gmail.com, voting Northwind Highlanders and a Griffin, because Griffins are second only to Centurions in old school classiness.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Why is there no option to roll with the Outworlds Alliance :mad:

EDIT: Griffins rule, go with a Griffin!

Chachi fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 22, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

raverrn posted:

because Griffins are second only to Centurions in old school classiness.

This man gets it.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

LOOKS LIKE SOMEBODY ORDERED A STUPID-LOOKING BOSS BUNCH OF CANON FLUFF

:siren:An Abridged History of the Inner Sphere:siren:

Part 1 - The Final Frontier

By the late 2020s, Terra, then known as Earth, had achieved a period of relative tranquility. Most nations had put aside mutual hostilities in favor of cooperation, and it was in this environment of prosperity and goodwill that Doctors Thomas Kearny and Takayoshi Fuchida created a revolutionary reactor, the Kearny-Fuchida Fusion Engine. By 2102, the now-legendary Deimos Project had created the first operable Jumpdrive, utilizing a Kearny-Fuchida reactor core, capable of propelling a craft up to thirty light years in a single instantaneous jump.

On December 5, 2108, the TAS Pathfinder made its historic jump to Tau Ceti, and by 2116, the first human colony was established on Tau Ceti IV. The stage was set for a new era of unity and brotherhood amongst the stars. Unfortunately, this is not an episode of Star Trek, and there was no 'evolved sense of morality' governing the actions of human beings. Like all before them, those sent to colonize lands distant from their origin grew to desire independence, and it wasn't long before colonies started declaring themselves nations and countries. When the Terran Alliance sent marines to quell the revolutionaries, the difficulties of maintaining supply lines across interstellar distances caused the expedition to fail miserably, and desperate to bandage their wounds, the Alliance granted independence to all colonies lying thirty light-years away from Terra, the distance of a single Jump.

Over time, as more and more colonies moved to break away, the lack of resources and manpower, as well as the economic strain of maintaining loyal colonies, began to fray the Terran Alliance. Tales of rioting over food in outlying systems brought on widespread panic, and poverty ran rampant. It all came to a head in 2314, when rioting and increased police crackdowns sparked an Alliance-wide civil war. The AGM, the Alliance Global Militia, finally stepped in at the urging of James McKenna, an Admiral of the Alliance Navy who used the unrest to stage a coup d'etat, eliminating the bloated and corrupt Alliance government. In 2316, he was elected Director-General of the newly-christened Terran Hegemony, and hailed as a hero by a tired and grateful public.

After bringing the colonies still loyal to the deposed Alliance into line, McKenna realized the need of the resources held by the colonies outside the Hegemony, those ceded by the Alliance. The military was deployed to seize the independent worlds, and with a stern hand with years of experience fighting brushfire wars across interstellar bounds at the helm, the Hegemony successfully brought large portions of the independent worlds under their rule over the course of two campaigns. A third campaign, launched in 2335, would not be so successful, and the failure of this effort is credited largely to McKenna's nephew Konrad McKenna, who led the Hegemony's fleet blindly into a massive minefield in the Syrma system. With all but two of his twenty-nine troopsips lost to the uncaring void of space, Konrad's forces retreated in utter disgrace.

The loss of so much manpower spurred the independent worlds to form together to oppose the Hegemony, and with unified fronts presented to their militarist expansion, it is rumored that the strain of his work contributed to the sudden death of Director-General McKenna in 2339. With Konrad widely dismissed as an idiot, the Hegemony's High Council passed leadership to McKenna's third cousin, Michael Cameron.

A shrewd politician, Cameron realized that he couldn't maintain the Hegemony's territory through military force alone. Rather, he needed a carrot to dangle to keep the regional political figures satisfied. And so, in 2351, Cameron published his now-famous Peer List, setting forth a system of feudal nobility, meant to keep local warlords and military officials in line by offering them land and titles, even extending the offer to independent worlds beyond Hegemony control. With the Hegemony realigned into a collective of nations, all paying nominal tribute to the central authority of the Hegemony on Terra, things settled into a tenuous peace.

One of the very first to receive mention on the Peer List is Dr. Gregory Atlas, renowned for his research into refining the production of myomer bundles for use in construction vehicles. Incredibly powerful, synthetic myomer muscles provided the brute force of Workmechs. Later it would be discovered that using a fusion reactor to power myomer musculature would dramatically increase the load and impact they were capable of handling, while still retaining agility and speed of reaction. Though he would die before that tree bore fruit, Dr. Atlas' discoveries would pave the way for a new generation of war machines, and to this day he is hailed as the father of the Battlemech.

The disparate states of the Hegemony and elsewhere would not remain peaceful for long, however, particularly not with such a powerful weapon as the Battlemech tempting them to action. In the late 2300s and early 2400s, tensions escalated, brushfire wars starting to break out among feudal lords who for too long had stared lustfully at the resources of their stellar neighbors, each fire building until the Hegemony seemed ready to explode. Even expanding further and further out into the stars was not enough to sate the hungry lords. It all came to a head, however, on Tintavel, a member-world of the Capellan Confederation. There, millions of civilians were killed when forces aligned against the Capellans deployed nuclear weapons against major population centers.

In response to the Tintavel Massacre, as it came to be popularly known, Capellan ruler Chancellor Aleisha Liao drafted the Ares Conventions, an article of rules for settling differences between interstellar powers. The key articles were restrictions on the usage of nuclear weapons, and an agreement to avoid civilian targets whenever possible. Ratified by the Hegemony and signed by every major power on June 13, 2412, the Ares Conventions brought a certain civility to the proceedings of interstellar war. All this really meant, however, was that every signing nation had a free license to attack whomever they wanted as long as they limited the excesses of their military.

As their allies and subjects took to constantly warring with each other over trivial slights, the Hegemony itself stood neutral in most matters, taking a peacekeeping role among the feudal states, and for the next hundred years an odd equilibrium reigned, the gentle push and pull of conflict building economic bridges throughout the Inner Sphere. Eventually, in 2556, Director-General Ian Cameron sat down the leaders of the Free Worlds League and their neighbors, the Capellan Confederaton, and signed into law the Treaty of Geneva. Signed by the Lyran Commonwealth in 2558, the Federated Suns in 2567, and the Draconis Combine in 2569, humanity was, after many trials and many wars, at last truly united, a singular alliance spanning all of known space.

The Star League had been born.

Agent Interrobang fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 22, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

The Star League had been born.

We serve the Star League, and someday will resurrect it and unite humanity under the Cameron Star once more. :hist101:

...(:corsair:)

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
As much as I wish we could have a Centurion, alas he is too slow in 3025. Instead I will vote for a Dervish to give our lance commander some flexibility with ranges and also jumpjets.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

The Urbanmech is one of the designs that really only does one thing well (and that's stretching it) and any other scenario makes it utterly poo poo. Sort of like the Charger. :v:

I will be surprising everyone with an Urbanmech at some point in the LP.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

By dropping it from orbit onto someone's Atlas?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

PoptartsNinja posted:

Since you guys seem a bit bored, help me pick an era-appropriate command 'Mech for a lance of medium-weight Kell Hounds (Specifically, a lance that can act as either scouts or scout-hunters, so expect at least one light 'mech).

I vote we give our commander an Archer. There is absolutely no situation where Archers do not own. They are moddable enough if we need some gimmick computer or uber missile bullshit. And they look commanding.

Lookit dat mech, he means business.

Also if you don't field a LAM at some point you are an awful person.

edit: me no spell gud

Red_Mage fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 22, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Red_Mage posted:

Also if you don't field a LAM at some point you are an aweful person.

The only thing a LAM will add to the game is a headache for me. I'm still undecided until I've had a chance to go over their rules, and god help you if you take a LAM against Clanners. They will break their honor code to kill it.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Oh, as usual, mind linking my history posts in the OP section appropriate? I've got a bunch more prepped and ready for once we start to get some more distance between my last one.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Oh, I forgot to do this (I had to clean up my mailbox before I started doing this).

Poptarts Ninja, my e-mail address is now edited out. Looking forward to my turn!

Polaron fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 25, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, since you're doing Kell Hounds you could do something like that one mission with urbanmechs in Crescent Hawks Revenge...

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Goddammit. I go away for 12 hours and this poo poo happens. Well, I'd love to participate.

Edit: gently caress, might as well go with Kell Hounds

Double edit: I have PM now. Yay!

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cookieman
Jan 19, 2009
Sign me up as a pilot please. I have PMs.

• Locked thread