Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

So I'm still watching these old UFCs and uh, Tank Abbott. Please give me the summary of Tank Abbott and his homemade fighting style named after a video game.

Believe it or not he had an amateur wrestling background.

His fighting style wasn't as good as WARRIOR TRAINING either. It's a shame people have to watch UFC 9 to experience WARRIOR TRAINING but it is the high point of the UFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Can someone find me a video of Tank Abbot singing badly in WCW? It truly is the highlight of that man's career.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MassRafTer posted:

Believe it or not he had an amateur wrestling background.

His fighting style wasn't as good as WARRIOR TRAINING either. It's a shame people have to watch UFC 9 to experience WARRIOR TRAINING but it is the high point of the UFC.

I was surprised that he actually wrestled with that Russian dude for like 15 minutes before getting submitted. Just when you thought Joesondo (a fighting discipline based on committing murder and carrying crosses around) was the peak.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Campbell MacLaren revealed on twitter that the production team just invented PIT FIGHTING because they wanted something that sounded slightly more formal than DRUNK GUY FROM THE BEACH.

Tank Abbot was also the first fighter to wear two gloves in the UFC.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

God damnit

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.

Great job

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Captain Log posted:

I'm trying to track down a video I had forever that the link eventually went bad on. It was a collage of the pre Wand Rampage two talk up followed by the fight highlights shot put together in an epic way with an eventual multi color effect kicking on when Wand started lighting Rampage up with knees. I loved the video so much it even took me literally over a year to track down the song that was playing, which was Fat City by Muggs.

That song alone is incredible. Any help is much appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY7YmV_ib5I

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Are heel hooks effective in MMA? I thought you could just sit up and blast someone in teh face.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

EmmyOk posted:

Are heel hooks effective in MMA? I thought you could just sit up and blast someone in teh face.

Well, Bas Rutten don't believe in heel hooks, I think. But then he doesn't have knees anymore either, so I'm not sure how trustworthy he is.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

EmmyOk posted:

Heel hooks work, but its a high risk move. If it works, the dude should tap quick. If it doesn't work, you have just put yourself in a really bad position. In my opinion, fighters should not go for heel hooks unless they find themselves already in a position to take it or their name is Imanari.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

EmmyOk posted:

rousimar palhares got fired from the UFC because he was winning too quickly with them, and his opponents wouldn't quit whining about it

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
What you've started to see as more people who actually have a complete leglock game is people going for the heelhook from the bottom, and then when people stand and turn to defend it, use the space they create to get back to their feet.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

DekeThornton posted:

Well, Bas Rutten don't believe in heel hooks, I think. But then he doesn't have knees anymore either, so I'm not sure how trustworthy he is.

That's straight ankle locks, which bas claims will only cause pain and not do damage, which they most certainly will

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

fatherdog posted:

What you've started to see as more people who actually have a complete leglock game is people going for the heelhook from the bottom, and then when people stand and turn to defend it, use the space they create to get back to their feet.

This is a good point which I didn't consider. I was thinking mostly of people that would drop back from top position for a heal hook.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Crocop of all people started doing this

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Biafraid posted:

Great job

It never goes out of style.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

What are some great/funny examples of fighters refusing to fight during a match? Kalib Starnes running in a circle all fight at UFC 83 or Anderson Silva riding his invisible bicycle at UFC 112 both come to mind as the funniest examples to me. The first couple minutes of Silva vs Diaz too.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

projecthalaxy posted:

What are some great/funny examples of fighters refusing to fight during a match? Kalib Starnes running in a circle all fight at UFC 83 or Anderson Silva riding his invisible bicycle at UFC 112 both come to mind as the funniest examples to me. The first couple minutes of Silva vs Diaz too.

Not really a refusal to fight but Chris Horodecki attempted to casually jog away from Anthony Njokuani at WEC 45 and the result was both great and funny.

JKong
Sep 11, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

Nick Serra lost a fight because he refused to stand up from the buttscoot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--kqaR4QAHE
Conversely, Eddie Alvarez furiously circled away from Aoki's buttscooting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awh8P4HW3Kk

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

projecthalaxy posted:

trevor berbick (rip)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru8DzzSBq2s

also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22wYrVmj4Tk

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Those were both amazing. Did nobody tell Trevor Berbick the rules?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Also worth noting - Yoshiaki Yatsu vs Gary Goodridge, where Yatsu spends twenty minutes attempting the "palm on opponent's forehead" defense from third grade.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
This is loving ancient history but I've been watching the old UFCs and Don Frye won the Ultimate Ultimate and was supposed to fight for the super title in 12 but it was Coleman instead and I didn't hear it explained why on the broadcast. Can anyone remember why that was? Did he not want to fight Severn?

Vitor Belfort just showed up too, pretty cool that a guy from that far back is still fighting now. He totally ran through everyone in the tournament too. After awhile watching these old ones in a row you sort of forget how comparatively garbage these guys were until you see a modern fight and then go... oh, right the dudes fighting now are really insanely loving good at fighting. I'm 12 UFCs in and I don't think I've seen even a single attempt at a proper headkick, even by the dudes billing themselves as 4th degree blackbelts in Tae Kwon Do, Karate and Savate who seem mostly to just windmill at people before getting taken down.

Where I'm at now it seems like wrestlers have pretty much taken over and no one seems to have any loving clue how to deal with them.

Also young Bruce Buffer kind of sucks but is a million times better than the Goins dude he replaced, I think I could probably have done a better job of announcing than him.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Just wait for the headkick it makes a big debut

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Kuno posted:

Where I'm at now it seems like wrestlers have pretty much taken over and no one seems to have any loving clue how to deal with them.

you can pretty much skip to circa ufc 70 now

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Dangersim posted:

Just wait for the headkick it makes a big debut

lol yeah

also ufc 17 owns dont skip to 70!!!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

One enjoyable aspect of the UFC 12-35 era is that you can see the specific fights that led to specific points in the unified rules. Watch Militech-Burnet and see if you can guess which rule came from that fight!

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I know it's not a head kick, but I think that push kick from Pat Smith on Moncayo at UFC 6 right at the beginning of the fight is still one of the best kicks I've seen in competition.

1996 was Maurice Smith cracking Silveira with a huge headkick, but that was outside UFC.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Coleman got kicked to death pretty early on IIRC.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Gordeau kicked Teila Tuli in the mouth so hard that he fought the rest of the night with teeth embedded in his foot, but Tuli was on his knees at that point

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Kuno posted:

This is loving ancient history but I've been watching the old UFCs and Don Frye won the Ultimate Ultimate and was supposed to fight for the super title in 12 but it was Coleman instead and I didn't hear it explained why on the broadcast. Can anyone remember why that was? Did he not want to fight Severn?

Vitor Belfort just showed up too, pretty cool that a guy from that far back is still fighting now. He totally ran through everyone in the tournament too. After awhile watching these old ones in a row you sort of forget how comparatively garbage these guys were until you see a modern fight and then go... oh, right the dudes fighting now are really insanely loving good at fighting. I'm 12 UFCs in and I don't think I've seen even a single attempt at a proper headkick, even by the dudes billing themselves as 4th degree blackbelts in Tae Kwon Do, Karate and Savate who seem mostly to just windmill at people before getting taken down.

Also young Bruce Buffer kind of sucks but is a million times better than the Goins dude he replaced, I think I could probably have done a better job of announcing than him.

Don't worry that head kick is coming. When you least expect it too.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Campbell MacLaren revealed on twitter that the production team just invented PIT FIGHTING because they wanted something that sounded slightly more formal than DRUNK GUY FROM THE BEACH.

Tank Abbot was also the first fighter to wear two gloves in the UFC.

I've read this before but it isn't true, its some dude from UFC 4 I think. I'll go watch it and find out.

e: Melton Bowen

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 9, 2015

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Is adding a second "n" to McGregor's name the new phantom "h" people were giving Ronda?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

-Atom- posted:

Is adding a second "n" to McGregor's name the new phantom "h" people were giving Ronda?

I'm a Conor as well and I had students call me Connor in emails despite having to type in my email address which has my name spelled correctly in it. It is a depressing phenomenon

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

EmmyOk posted:

I'm a Conor as well and I had students call me Connor in emails despite having to type in my email address which has my name spelled correctly in it. It is a depressing phenomenon

haha ya, i get genuinely depressed when people use another common spelling of a common name too

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

Pickett/Almeida 1 just had a great example of that

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

So Chad said it's not so much that Conor hits very hard as it is he has great accuracy. What exactly does he mean by this? Does he just mean getting through guard or does he mean particular parts of the head?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

So Chad said it's not so much that Conor hits very hard as it is he has great accuracy. What exactly does he mean by this? Does he just mean getting through guard or does he mean particular parts of the head?

I guess it's sort of a combination of both. Some guys just have a brilliant knack for finding their opponent's chin, no matter where it moves and even if they're off balance mid-combo. Some guys will whiff a lot. Conor connects clean a hell of a lot of the time, and it's a function of both. This is a really good recent example of accuracy from a rangy puncher:

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Getting hit in the chin is how you get knocked out, if you watch the replay conor jabbed to find his range then made an angle as chad was circling off the cage (away from conors power hand but conor is so long he can still throw that left straight across his body) and hit chad right on the chin from the exact right angle with the exact right timing that chad didmt see it coming and thus couldnt roll with it or brace for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I guess it's sort of a combination of both. Some guys just have a brilliant knack for finding their opponent's chin, no matter where it moves and even if they're off balance mid-combo. Some guys will whiff a lot. Conor connects clean a hell of a lot of the time, and it's a function of both. This is a really good recent example of accuracy from a rangy puncher:

I haven't watched Bellator in ages, but that hairline looks very familiar. Is that THE BARN CAT?