Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

EkoEkoAzarak posted:

It's ashame they are boring as all hell live. Same tempo, same volume, no dynamics. Fell asleep at the bar.

Maybe don't go sit at the bar next time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

EkoEkoAzarak posted:

It's ashame they are boring as all hell live. Same tempo, same volume, no dynamics. Fell asleep at the bar.

And completely opposite I thought they were great live. They could have come out and played just the Great Cessation and I would have been happy.

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power

HATEPOSTING posted:

Maybe don't go sit at the bar next time?

I would have fell asleep standing up.

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power

Asnorban posted:

And completely opposite I thought they were great live. They could have come out and played just the Great Cessation and I would have been happy.

That seems to be the general consensus. Don't mind me, just over heat hatin'.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Thanks for the guitar tech answers. The lengthening of the scale deal makes sense and thinking back it's quite obvious those Monson guitars at the show were really long comparatively.

As for the YOB's new album sound, what struck me is that the guitar tone I heard live is pretty much what is on the Album, very thick and mid-rangey.

Yeah, I believe Mike's Monson is a 26" scale.

My quest for the perfect bass setup continues to this day, but I've found that a .110-.090-.070-.050 set of Ernie Ball flats works very well for standard C tuning. The bass I have them on has a Badass II bridge, which helps a lot with sustain and tuning stability, but the strings themselves are light enough to allow me to do a lot of Scott Reeder style bends. I play with a fairly light touch, so this setup might not be ideal for someone who really wails on the strings.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've been really tempted to file my nut and put baritone strings on my guitar... you know what, gently caress it, I'm gonna do it. The world needs more A-tuned doom.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
I'm getting a Monson guitar built for me right now, talking to Brent he said the usual 25.5" scale would suit the tuning I use (AEAEAC or AEADGbB), a proper set up is more the key than the length. My Gibson Explorer holds it's tune flawlessly and it has a 24.75" scale (14-68 strings).

Also, Mike's amps are MetroAmp built Superbass clones. His pedalboard is a Subdecay F Bomb, some old digitech delay, an mxr compressor clone and an mxr phase 90 clone. (Will from Indian said so anyway!)

I'll also be at the Vancouver Weedeater/Bison show :hfive:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Has there been discussion already about Ice Dragon's latest? Just got it, real Sabbathy sounding singer, I like it.

I wrote the guy from Stonehelm and am going to pick up one of those green cassettes.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Since we're more than halfway through the year, how about a half years best of lists? IMO it can have other stuff than what would strictly fall unde the stoner/doom/sludge umbrella. It's nice to see some off beat stuff from ppl who more or less share the same taste as me.

I'll compile mine once I get home.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
100+ degrees today, but gently caress it. Clutch and Corrosion of Conformity tonight gently caress yes

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Dyna Soar posted:

Since we're more than halfway through the year, how about a half years best of lists? IMO it can have other stuff than what would strictly fall unde the stoner/doom/sludge umbrella. It's nice to see some off beat stuff from ppl who more or less share the same taste as me.

I'll compile mine once I get home.

My album of the year is still The Local Fuzz by The Atomic Bitchwax. For my taste, it's going to be hard to top a 42 minute instrumental track packed to the brim with complex, melodic, memorable riffs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So far, Lento's Icon has been one of my favourites this year. Bongripper's Sex Tape/Snuff Film EP is also up there. Waiting to see if we get a new OM album this year though, that'd be nice. I know they're working on one but it might be a while.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
They sort of go all over the place, but I think Space Bong fit in this thread. loving heavy, riff-driven, with powerviolence songs and slow-as-gently caress jams. Everyone in here should check them out.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar
So, Steve von Till accepted me as a friend on facebook. He really enjoys hunting, it seems. The guy's got a stag in his room, right next to his books. :stare: That's pretty metal, alright.

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

I literally have no idea what I just saw in there!
Grimey Drawer
http://www.marylanddeathfest.com/
So, it looks like Electric Wizard is going to be at Maryland Death Fest this year. US tour :allears:?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Wampa Stompa posted:

http://www.marylanddeathfest.com/
So, it looks like Electric Wizard is going to be at Maryland Death Fest this year. US tour :allears:?

I've never been so happy to live in Maryland my entire life. I missed it this year, which ticked me off because I hear Neurosis was going to be there. But Electric Wizard? Holy gently caress I can't wait. And Saint Vitus too!

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Went to Tuska 2011 this weekend.

Electric Wizard were awesome. It must've been like hell, the sun was blazing straight at them and it was +30C even in the shade. Didn't seem to slow them down though and the audience loved them.

Although I was looking forward to Killing Joke the most, Church of Misery might have pulled my favorite gig of the whole festival. They had insane energy (especially the singer) and they were probably the only band where all members were really into it and actually contacted with the audience.

Ghost was also a pleasant surprise, I wasn't familiar with them before, but found myself stuck in the tent for the whole gig even if my plan was just to bounce around the stages trying to pass time until Devin Townsend came on. Say what you will about their gimmick and to be honest I don't much care for the whole satan thing, but they sure put on an entertaining show. Music is pretty good too. :v:

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Metanaut posted:

Went to Tuska 2011 this weekend.

Electric Wizard were awesome. It must've been like hell, the sun was blazing straight at them and it was +30C even in the shade. Didn't seem to slow them down though and the audience loved them.

Although I was looking forward to Killing Joke the most, Church of Misery might have pulled my favorite gig of the whole festival. They had insane energy (especially the singer) and they were probably the only band where all members were really into it and actually contacted with the audience.

Ghost was also a pleasant surprise, I wasn't familiar with them before, but found myself stuck in the tent for the whole gig even if my plan was just to bounce around the stages trying to pass time until Devin Townsend came on. Say what you will about their gimmick and to be honest I don't much care for the whole satan thing, but they sure put on an entertaining show. Music is pretty good too. :v:

I was there as well. My favorites were Electric Wizard, Church of Misery and Jex Thoth (see a pattern there?). Ghost were also good, even though I spent the entire set outside the tent smoking cigarettes.

Did you happen to see a guy in a red trucker hat with the letter 'H' on the front? Also, are you local or did you come from somewhere else?

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

HMorg posted:

I was there as well. My favorites were Electric Wizard, Church of Misery and Jex Thoth (see a pattern there?). Ghost were also good, even though I spent the entire set outside the tent smoking cigarettes.

Did you happen to see a guy in a red trucker hat with the letter 'H' on the front? Also, are you local or did you come from somewhere else?

I live in Espoo, so almost local. ;)

I didn't go on sunday anymore, the only band I knew was Meshuggah and although I would've loved to see them play, I was just too tired.

Do you mean sort of like a Mario hat? Did you also have a moustache on? (my memory is a bit hazy) If so I think I saw you leaving right when Devin Townsend was finishing up. If you spotted someone wearing this t-shirt, it was most likely me. :)

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...
I'm a bit late to the beardgasm, I know, but holy gently caress does the new YOB kick all manner of rear end. I can't wait to buy the vinyl.

I'm starting to think YOB might very well be my favorite band. They simply can do no wrong.

Chest3r
Dec 8, 2003
nutsack.

Diseased Yak posted:

I'm a bit late to the beardgasm, I know, but holy gently caress does the new YOB kick all manner of rear end. I can't wait to buy the vinyl.

I'm starting to think YOB might very well be my favorite band. They simply can do no wrong.

Saw them in Orlando Friday, The singer/guitarist was a cool dude just walking around watching the local openers and drinking with dudes. Then he proceeded to crush the gently caress out of everyone in attendance. Awesome.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My Kylesa t-shirt from the All That is Heavy sale just arrived, really fast delivery, gonna recommend them even more now, they even wrote on the delivery form :) Nice people!

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Diseased Yak posted:

Yeah, Atma is getting really close to being my favorite YOB album so far. Before We Dreamed of Two is such a good track.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Metanaut posted:

I live in Espoo, so almost local. ;)

I didn't go on sunday anymore, the only band I knew was Meshuggah and although I would've loved to see them play, I was just too tired.

Do you mean sort of like a Mario hat? Did you also have a moustache on? (my memory is a bit hazy) If so I think I saw you leaving right when Devin Townsend was finishing up. If you spotted someone wearing this t-shirt, it was most likely me. :)

Yeah, sort of like a Mario hat. And yes, I did have a moustache. And a friend of mine had a green hat and a moustache. Probably didn't spot your shirt though.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar
gently caress YEAH! Down is coming here to Brazil! This is being so far the best year ever. First Katatonia, then Cathedral, now Down.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
Lurker here! I will literally flip my poo poo if Electric Wizard does a US tour. They have quickly become one of my favorite bands over the past year. I finally found a local store that sold a couple of their albums, had Come My Fanatics and I believe Black Masses on vinyl.

Now, I need to ask, what is the deal with you guys and vinyl? Is just cool (That green Acid King vinyl was pretty awesome actually.) or does it sound better coming from a vinyl player?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Salsa McManus posted:

Now, I need to ask, what is the deal with you guys and vinyl? Is just cool (That green Acid King vinyl was pretty awesome actually.) or does it sound better coming from a vinyl player?

I think it's a bit of both, whether the sounding better is actually a thing or just a placebo effect (this goes record by record; some records sound better on vinyl period). I actually wrote a bit about my feelings about vinyl a while ago, you can read it here.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Salsa McManus posted:

Lurker here! I will literally flip my poo poo if Electric Wizard does a US tour. They have quickly become one of my favorite bands over the past year. I finally found a local store that sold a couple of their albums, had Come My Fanatics and I believe Black Masses on vinyl.

You can't roll a joint on an mp3. :smug:

Planet X fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 27, 2011

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
If you have a semi-decent record player that's got a properly weighted arm and clean stylus, and a semi-decent tuner with semi-decent speakers, it will blow a cd player out of the water. Plus the art looks way better at 12".

smile.jpg
Jun 15, 2010

I was at a Boris/Russian Circles double header a few weeks ago and these guys opened (http://www.myspace.com/sadesongs); a basic drum and guitar set-up, they pretty much killed the (relatively small) crowd that had turned up early. So yeah, everyone check out Saade, great stoner psych.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Salsa McManus posted:

sounds better, looks better, gotta support the artist somehow and you can only buy so many t-shirts.

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power
To be fair if you want to "support the artist" you gotta buy Vinyl directly from them. Especially whilst the band is touring. Distros and Labels get all the money from web-store/record store sales

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
I can get behind those reasonings. Maybe I will pick up an EW vinyl and give it a listen. Also, I have been neglecting getting Red Fang's new album for just that reason. Maybe they will have something at the Mayhem Festival? Kind of sucks Red Fang is doing that whole tour, I have zero interest in any other band attending.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

EkoEkoAzarak posted:

To be fair if you want to "support the artist" you gotta buy Vinyl directly from them. Especially whilst the band is touring. Distros and Labels get all the money from web-store/record store sales

Well yeah, the bands usually get an x amount of the records to sell and make the money that way. Then again it's usuall y20-40% so the majority will buy it from the label or distros who've bought it from the label so by buying vinyl you're keeping the labels afloat, thus enabling the bands to release and tour in the future. It all comes together with indies and small vinyl pressings.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Friends Are Evil posted:

Yeah, Atma is getting really close to being my favorite YOB album so far. Before We Dreamed of Two is such a good track.

I love YOB, but Atma is the first album of theirs that hasn't blown me away. "Prepare The Ground" is an astonishingly good track that hasn't left my head ever since I first heard it, but I find the other tracks kind of mediocre compared to YOB's back catalog. They seem to reuse a lot of the themes from previous albums; "Atma" features the same fast triplet feel as "The Mental Tyrant," and "Adrift in the Ocean" sounds an awful lot like "Dreamless Eye" from Middian's Age Eternal album. I am also not a Scott Kelly fan, so his contributions to Atma do nothing for me.

YOB are still probably the best doom band around right now, but I wish they had pushed themselves a little bit farther with Atma. Catharsis and The Unreal Never Lived are still their defining statements in my view.

treetheheavy
Mar 28, 2005

Salsa McManus posted:

I can get behind those reasonings. Maybe I will pick up an EW vinyl and give it a listen. Also, I have been neglecting getting Red Fang's new album for just that reason. Maybe they will have something at the Mayhem Festival? Kind of sucks Red Fang is doing that whole tour, I have zero interest in any other band attending.

Red Fang is selling both of their albums on CD and vinyl at Mayhem Fest. I didn't want to see any other bands on the tour either, but I ended up winning tickets to the St. Louis date. So I went and saw Red Fang, got my stuff signed by them at the merch tent and then went to see The Sword that evening.

treetheheavy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 28, 2011

smile.jpg
Jun 15, 2010

treetheheavy posted:

Red Fang is selling both of their albums on CD and vinyl at Mayhem Fest. I didn't want to see any other bands on the tour either, but i ended up winning tickets to the St. Louis date. So I went and saw Red Fang, got my stuff signed by them at the Merch tent and then went to see The Sword that evening.

Sounds likes a perfectly good way to spend the evening. :) Also, vinyls are much more fun to collect than CDs.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

Juaguocio posted:

I love YOB, but Atma is the first album of theirs that hasn't blown me away. "Prepare The Ground" is an astonishingly good track that hasn't left my head ever since I first heard it, but I find the other tracks kind of mediocre compared to YOB's back catalog. They seem to reuse a lot of the themes from previous albums; "Atma" features the same fast triplet feel as "The Mental Tyrant," and "Adrift in the Ocean" sounds an awful lot like "Dreamless Eye" from Middian's Age Eternal album. I am also not a Scott Kelly fan, so his contributions to Atma do nothing for me.

YOB are still probably the best doom band around right now, but I wish they had pushed themselves a little bit farther with Atma. Catharsis and The Unreal Never Lived are still their defining statements in my view.

Agreed, "The Unreal Never Lived" is the whole reason I even got into the band (I listened to Quantum Mystic 4 times running before even trying another of their tracks) but for my money, "Elaborations of Carbon" and "Illusion of Motion" both outperform everything I've heard otherwise. Of course, I haven't tried the new album because it isn't actually out yet. :colbert: (Really I've just been busy.)

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

Asnorban posted:

Just saw them last night and I have to agree. Their usual drummer was out though they still crushed. They also played one song off The Great Cessation and it was incredibly heavy.
In general I'm not a big fan of vocals, but i guess hearing them live makes all the difference. Dark Castle's were pretty drat intense, and a couple of Yob's were loving surreal.

There was a local act opening, and they might have been alright, but the lead decided to crank his poo poo way too loud in the middle of the first song so i listened to the rest of their set from outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Hey sludgey goons, I'm going to be conducting my first interview for https://www.cvltnation.com at the Yob/Dark Castle/Dispirt/Worm Ouroboros show this Saturday. Do any of you have specific questions for any of the bands?

To those of you that have done this kind of stuff before, do you have any tips? Its appreciated :)