Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Wolves in the Throne Room's Two Hunters is an absolute beast of an album that every metal fan should check out.

Dude, are you thirdwheel on YT? 'Cos your videos rock, I sent them to my bass playing friend, he loves them.

Yes, he is.

His videos were what finally convinced me that I could learn to play bass. I'm still not too good a year later, but I'm getting better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Astrotrain posted:

This was posted on the Southern Lord twitter account not long ago:

Interesting. I hadn't realized that they incorporated "Hot Lava Man" into the song, though I can't hear it for the life of me.

Who does Morris refer to in that riff chart?

I believe "Morris" is a reference to Al Morris III of the band Iron Man. Sleep are apparently fans of his, so they named one of the riffs after him. It's the riff that introduces the faster verses, starting with the line about "lungsmen unearthing the creed of hashishian." Later on, "Improved Morris" is the part that introduces and backs the third guitar solo.

im_sorry posted:

His videos were what finally convinced me that I could learn to play bass. I'm still not too good a year later, but I'm getting better.

Glad I could be an inspiration! I'm sorry to say that I probably won't be making too many more videos, though. It's hard to work up the inspiration these days, as I'm never happy with the result. Most of my videos display very poor technique and execution, to be honest.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Finally ordered the Dopesmoker vinyl reissue. Shipping was expensive enough that I decided to add the new Earth to the order since it barely bumped the shipping up further. I am sure this is an intentional side-effect of high shipping.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

TheQat posted:

I got my copy today as well. It sounds great, a little more blown out (especially on the drums) than the 2003 version IMO. You can hear some odd details (maybe studio artifacts) on good headphones

I'm sure it does sound awesome on headphones, but I can't bring myself to listen to it like that. For me, part of the experience is feeling those low frequency waves blasting through my whole body at high volume. Lots of albums make you feel something, but I love being literally able to physically FEEL THE DOOM. :rock:

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music

Less bass, less punch and more mids in the new one. Must say I prefer the old release, this is an album that definitely benefits from some bottom end.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Is the sample on Southern Lord's website a good representation of the new reissue? It sounds a lot worse than the Tee Pee release to me.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

Astrotrain posted:

The Heavy Eyes just posted some new stuff http://theheavyeyesmemphis.bandcamp.com/album/2 .

Much as I love so much of what's happening in doom and sludge right now, this was the thing that got me most excited recently. These guys are on constant repeat for me, and I just can't get enough of their sound. Very, very good news.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

Is the sample on Southern Lord's website a good representation of the new reissue? It sounds a lot worse than the Tee Pee release to me.

Where's this? I can't find it anywhere :shobon:

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Where's this? I can't find it anywhere :shobon:

http://www.southernlord.com/mp3/dopesmoker.mp3

It sounds awesome. gently caress the haters.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's definitely louder. gently caress. loving hell I need this album now.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Ignatius-J-R posted:

I was happy to find this thread after recently discovering Conan - Monnos while browsing around Pitchfork. It seems I've found quite an affinity for this sound. Will be hoping to discover more like Conan. Suggestions?
I've been listening to this and it is very cool stuff. I'd recommend Bongripper as their super-downtuned tone really reminds me of them, especially the stuff after Hate Ashbury. Check out Satan Worshipping Doom, Snuff Film/Sex Tape and the newer Hate Ashbury mix.

Got a question for you all too: I've moved into a new flat with a fellow doom fan and we're looking to awesome up the place with some sick stoner/doom posters and get them framed. Anyone know a good source to browse a few in one place? All That's Heavy's selection is sadly not good and it's hard finding large posters; a lot of the ones I've found are just 20" x 20" or so.

I figure I'm gonna have to just search ebay for specific band names but even that isn't turning out much.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
I'd like to recommend Balam to fans of slow traditional doom. I'm getting some real Reverend Bizarre vibes here, digging their EP a lot.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Fishing for recommendations so what have been people's favourite doom/stoner/sludge albums so far this year?

For me the reigning champions are definitely Pallbearer (Sorrow and Extinction) and High On Fire (Des Vermis Mysteriis). I have also enjoyed Conan (Monnos) a lot. Other than that I'm not really sure I've heard anything that's grabbed me that much. Horse Latitudes (Awakening) was alright, but it failed to hold my attention.

So, what albums have you heard that have particularly impressed you so far this year?

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Do Torche count as stoner rock? I'm reasonably sure I got them from this thread and I've barely stopped listening their new album Harmonicraft since it came out. It's probably one of the most uplifting things I've heard recently if that's what you're into.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Crackerman posted:

Do Torche count as stoner rock? I'm reasonably sure I got them from this thread and I've barely stopped listening their new album Harmonicraft since it came out. It's probably one of the most uplifting things I've heard recently if that's what you're into.

They call themselves Stoner Pop. They're good in my book, haven't heard Harmonicraft yet though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Crackerman posted:

I'll give it a bash. I heard their previous effort once I think but it didn't make much of an impression on me. Always willing to give artists another chance though, I think I am more open-minded about music than I was when I first listened to them. Thanks.

MrSlug
Nov 23, 2004

nomapple posted:

Fishing for recommendations so what have been people's favourite doom/stoner/sludge albums so far this year?

For me the reigning champions are definitely Pallbearer (Sorrow and Extinction) and High On Fire (Des Vermis Mysteriis). I have also enjoyed Conan (Monnos) a lot. Other than that I'm not really sure I've heard anything that's grabbed me that much. Horse Latitudes (Awakening) was alright, but it failed to hold my attention.

So, what albums have you heard that have particularly impressed you so far this year?

Black Pyramid - II [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AHTD6tEHEs]
Bong - Mana-Yood-Sushai [http://bong.bandcamp.com/album/mana-yood-sushai]
The Heavy Eyes - 2 [http://theheavyeyesmemphis.bandcamp.com/releases]

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

nomapple posted:

I'll give it a bash. I heard their previous effort once I think but it didn't make much of an impression on me. Always willing to give artists another chance though, I think I am more open-minded about music than I was when I first listened to them. Thanks.

If by previous effort you mean Songs for Singles that is an easy pass. Meanderthal was by far their best, and In Return and the new one are pretty good. The new one (Harmonicraft) is loads better than Songs for Singles, which was pretty drat bland in my opinion.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Meanderthal is a pretty heavy ("Grenades") and pretty catchy ("Healer") album. I haven't listened to Songs for Singles but from I heard it seemed pretty forgettable. I'm hearing great things about the new album though so I'm excited to check it out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The last two tracks on SFS are good, the rest are pretty forgettable.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Asnorban posted:

If by previous effort you mean Songs for Singles that is an easy pass. Meanderthal was by far their best, and In Return and the new one are pretty good. The new one (Harmonicraft) is loads better than Songs for Singles, which was pretty drat bland in my opinion.

I actually meant Meanderthal :$ , looks like I'll have to give that another chance too. I suspect I listened to it when grim and serious music was all I was interested in.

Anyway, another cool sludgey album got released today:

Black Moth- The Killing Jar
Sounds very much like a stoner rock/sludge PJ Harvey to me. Really good. Her voice is very strong, and the riffs are appropriately heavy. The guitar tone is pretty much to die for in my opinion. I haven't finished listening to it yet but I'd already be happy to recommend it. There are some nice faster gallop-y bits throughout the album as well.

EDIT: I finished the album and my recommendation still stands. The penultimate track is an early favourite.

It's available to stream on Spotify here if you use that. If not I think it is available from all usual music outlets.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 7, 2012

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Melvins LITE - New track from Freak Puke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOIiLt0ZoRk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOIiLt0ZoRk

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
In Your Light from Mike Scheidt's new solo acoustic album (out June 12th, for some reason pitchfork said May 18th).

flirty dental hygienist fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 9, 2012

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I just came home from seeing Sleep and let me tell you, it was AWESOME!

Edit: Holy poo poo, does the live recording on the Tee Pee version of Dopesmoker do no justice to Sonic Titan. Also, Al said about the song, "This song isn't on any of our albums, yet."

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 9, 2012

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'm jealous of all you Sleep-watchers.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Did anyone get to any of the Old Man Gloom shows and get a copy of the new record? Anyone? If you did, what's the verdict?

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

Frank Caskelot posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo, does the live recording on the Tee Pee version of Dopesmoker do no justice to Sonic Titan. Also, Al said about the song, "This song isn't on any of our albums, yet."

Oh please oh please oh please don't just be teasing. My balls are blue already.

internetdrink
Mar 24, 2011

"May contain traces of nuts"
Any East-Germany-Goons here? Sleep are playing in Leipzig tomorrow, man am i excited

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Sleep was indeed amazing! Without a doubt one of the best gigs I've ever seen. They sound massive live, my jeans were flapping from the sound pressure. So bring your plugs, I saw a few fools digging their bare aching ears.

They didn't have the new Dopesmoker on sale (or any albums), but I don't personally mind since my copy arrived just in time yesterday along with the t-shirt which I proudly displayed at the gig. :cool:

They played for 2 hours straight, so you definitely get your moneys worth.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Frank Caskelot posted:

Also, Al said about the song, "This song isn't on any of our albums, yet."

:aaaaa:

Metanaut posted:

So bring your plugs, I saw a few fools digging their bare aching ears.

I splashed out on some drummer plugs just for this gig, went to see Russian Circles last week without any and they were loud but from what I've heard of Sleep...

smile.jpg
Jun 15, 2010

Frank Caskelot posted:

I saw them on Friday and it was yes, awesome. Matt Pike sure has grown quite the potbelly, though.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

smile.jpg posted:

I saw them on Friday and it was yes, awesome. Matt Pike sure has grown quite the potbelly, though.

Al's gotten chubbier too since the last time I've seen him (with Om in 2009, I think).

Didn't take the least bit away from the awesome, though.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Polegrinder posted:

In Your Light from Mike Scheidt's new solo acoustic album (out June 12th, for some reason pitchfork said May 18th).

I wish I liked this more. I was kind of expecting some acoustic guitar down tuning/alternate tuning and some interesting vocals. Neither seem to be present. The vocals kind of sound like your run of the mill airy rock ballad singing with the typical rock singing pronunciations. Almost reminds me of Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes or something. I hope the rest of the album is a bit different.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Metanaut posted:

along with the t-shirt which I proudly displayed at the gig. :cool:

Who the gently caress shows up at a show sporting a bandshirt of the performing band? I've always thought that strange. Simply attending the show should be ample testament of fandom methinks.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

nosophoros posted:

Who the gently caress shows up at a show sporting a bandshirt of the performing band? I've always thought that strange. Simply attending the show should be ample testament of fandom methinks.
I've never had an issue with this but I get skeeved when I see bands playing whilst wearing their own merch

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
It's a really contentious issue with all of rock in general. I've heard people say they hate people wearing the performing band's shirt and that bands wearing their own merch is badass. I don't care either way really.

Glad to see more people get to see Sleep, it was just the perfect storm when they played Roadburn. So so so good. Though I had to break away during dopesmoker, my friend and I chain smoked 4 spliffs and he passed out so I had to make sure he wasn't dead or whatever. The Roadburn crowd were lovely with helping me out.

Anyway. Have fun and definitely take earbuds!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
The only show which I'd go to in the band playing's merch is an Iron Maiden show.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Hahaha, who gives a poo poo?
I've never done it and does seem kind of hokey but it does seem pretty reasonable for a fan to wear black shirt of the band they are going to see instead of intentionally picking another black shirt just because.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Picked up Horseback - Half Blood. As always from him, great release, though it's not up to the level of The Invisible Mountain for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

nomapple posted:

Did anyone get to any of the Old Man Gloom shows and get a copy of the new record? Anyone? If you did, what's the verdict?

I didn't go to any of the shows, but I have been listening to a rip of the vinyl. It does not disappoint. It's extremely heavy, has some super sinister ambient sections. I really like it.