Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindfish
Jul 18, 2003
Professional Victim
Melvins and Sleep cancelled their Primavera shows. Rumor has it that Matt Pike was hospitalized with a brain clot.

Just saw Sleep a month ago. gently caress. Get well soon, Matt.

Mindfish fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

ethan posted:

For me, punk metal doesn't get much better than Disfear

This is badass, thanks man.

A few bands that are worth checking out if you people haven't heard:

I'm sure they've been mentioned before but a band I really can listen to in pretty much any mood is Stake-off the Witch. For me, they're one of those bands you don't realise how much you are into them until you notice how often you play their records... if that makes any sense.

Fans of ladydoom should check out Azula.

Elder - Great stoner/doom.

I don't think I've seen Snail in this thread. Check them out, I've been really digging Terminus recently.

Balam is like the lovechild of Reverend Bizarre and Electric Wizard. :circlefap:

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

Rion.exe posted:

Elder - Great stoner/doom.

Awesome rec - and they're playing a show soon near me too!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mindfish posted:

Melvins and Sleep cancelled their Primavera shows. Rumor has it that Matt Pike was hospitalized with a brain clot.

If their FB page is anything to go buy, all is well again.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

Tiny Faye posted:

Awesome rec - and they're playing a show soon near me too!

Elder is awesome live. Had the pleasure to watch them open for Church of Misery.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Rion.exe posted:

This is badass, thanks man.

No worries. It's a supergroup of sorts with members of At The Gates and Entombed, so it's pretty much a guaranteed winner.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah, this morning it said they are still on for Seattle. Can't wait.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Mindfish posted:

I saw Sleep on Saturday night and they were loving amazing. At the end of the show, Phil Anselmo came out on stage with a birthday cake for Matt and got everyone in the crowd to sing him Happy Birthday. What a bizarre, awesome ending to probably the loudest, heaviest show I've ever been to.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

He was fine in Seattle. Roeder thanked Al and Matt for being such good bandmates, and wished Matt a happy birthday. They all hugged :3:

Despite that wonderful moment, I actually preferred the Portland 2010 show, simply because they played more of "Dopesmoker." They've been slowing the songs down since then though, which was very interesting to hear. Also interesting was a new jam that they used as an intro to the middle part of "Inside The Sun." I was hoping to hear the ending jam of that song too, but no dice.

Aki.
Mar 12, 2007

A goblin in the works.
Is anyone going to London to watch the St Vitus gig this coming Monday?

Getting pretty excited about it myself, it'll be my first time seeing them.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
I'm about to go see Cough and Dragged Into Sunlight. I am so drat excited.

On an unrelated note, how do you feel about going to a concert by yourself? Through various reasons, no one I know is going to see this show and... I'm still going to go, but I never know what to do with myself at a show in between bands (besides drink) if I don't have a friend there.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
I go to plenty of shows by myself, just drink beer and talk to people.

I am jealous that you get to see Cough.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
For Cough, I wouldn't want to go with anyone anyway, I'd want to focus on the music and zone out.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

I did just about that.

Cough were sick. I don't think I've ever seen a band that played songs slower live than on an album.

I love going to small shows where you end up hanging out with people and they happen to be in the bands you're about to see.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009
Saw Church of Misery a couple nights ago, they really rocked.

Crouton
Feb 10, 2006
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, cuz there's bugger all down here on Earth.
Egypt is releasing their first album since their 2009 debut sometime soon and just posted the first new song. Available here. It seems maybe a little faster/more upbeat than the older stuff but not in a bad way.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
From Sleep's facebook feed:

quote:

Our brother Matt is in our hearts and minds as he starts down the road to recovery from alcohol dependency. Sleep's May 2012 tour was unforgettable but now it is time for Matt to get the professional treatment he deserves. Please join us in sending him healing thoughts and prayers.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/...aid=OR0BHMJvMrE

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Matt Pike is a very cool man. Glad that he recognized he has a problem and is getting it sorted out, but I hope this doesn't adversely affect his marijuana consumption.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Trees and Squids posted:

Matt Pike is a very cool man. Glad that he recognized he has a problem and is getting it sorted out, but I hope this doesn't adversely affect his marijuana consumption.

"Weed? Nobody gives a gently caress about weed." - My friend's psychiatrist when he checked into rehab for alcoholism.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So much for a new album I guess. Glad he's seeking help. Guy was bloated as hell.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
What do you me...

Oh. :btroll:

The recent hospital visit is probably related, glad he's getting help. As someone who has experienced a brain clot, it's really drat scary. Especially after you learn what has happened and what it can cause.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Unfortunately I can't think of a band that didn't suck once people started straightening out.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
"As good" will be a matter of opinion given the stark differences in sound but Earth has been pretty drat incredible since Dylan Carlson got clean.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
There's a repress of Blood Lust by Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats on vinyl happening soon. Pre orders up:

http://tinyurl.com/bohlrvb

I got mine from Amazon in Canada because it was cheaper, but yeah it's out there.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I'm probably going to see Black Mastiff open for Ancients open for Boris at Sled Island in Calgary in a week or two, so what's the most accessible path you guys could recommend for getting into Boris? I've only listened to Pink, and I enjoy it, but I know they've got dozens of other albums, I just have no idea where to start.

Edit: I should point out I'm more into the faster/harder aesthetic of stoner/desert rock like Atomic Bitchwax, C'mon, Clutch, Fu Manchu, etc., and not so much into the doom sludge stuff like I know they've done with Sunn O))).

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 10, 2012

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
I didn't see this mentioned here, but Candlemass released what will apparently be their last album, Psalms for the Dead. They said they won't be making any more albums because they want to stop before they "get too old and start putting out half-lame albums". Candlemass was actually one of the bands that got me listening to doom metal so it's kinda sad knowing they won't be making any more new stuff probably.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Matt Pike was at his finest when he was a lean mean wrecking machine, so hopefully rehab will bring out the best in his artistic ability as well as his personal life and health. Good luck to him.

In his prime, he looks like he's on the verge of tearing his guitar apart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxbdNuloKVc

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

Handen posted:

I'm probably going to see Black Mastiff open for Ancients open for Boris at Sled Island in Calgary in a week or two, so what's the most accessible path you guys could recommend for getting into Boris? I've only listened to Pink, and I enjoy it, but I know they've got dozens of other albums, I just have no idea where to start.

Edit: I should point out I'm more into the faster/harder aesthetic of stoner/desert rock like Atomic Bitchwax, C'mon, Clutch, Fu Manchu, etc., and not so much into the doom sludge stuff like I know they've done with Sunn O))).

Start with the 2002 Heavy Rocks (orange cover), that should be right up your alley.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You might also like Akuma no Uta.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I'm like a month late on this, but aw poo poo the new Bong is fantastic. The album was recommended to me as "like Om, but more chill", and I was not disappointed.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
My future children are going to be deaf thanks to YOB

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

DEAR RICHARD posted:

My future children are going to be deaf thanks to YOB

I am seeing YOB next weekend, can't wait :D Hellfest's doom line-up is loving incredible this year!

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Has anyone received the Dopesmoker vinyl yet? Or does anyone know if they've shipped yet? Southern Lord's website says they'll ship approximately the first week of June.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

nomapple posted:

I am seeing YOB next weekend, can't wait :D Hellfest's doom line-up is loving incredible this year!

If you get the chance, try to talk to Mike - he's a super nice guy, loves talking to fans. I dunno how the venue is where you'll be seeing them, but he usually chills with people after their set.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Frank Caskelot posted:

Has anyone received the Dopesmoker vinyl yet? Or does anyone know if they've shipped yet? Southern Lord's website says they'll ship approximately the first week of June.

I got an email from Greg last week saying my order's been processed. Should be on the way by now, I guess.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Frank Caskelot posted:

Yeah, I've been wondering about that. I haven't heard a peep about it since placing my order. Hope it comes soon!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think the story was that the LPs were stuck in LAX customs for a while

lenitic
Jun 11, 2012

Schizophrenic Orb posted:

I didn't see this mentioned here, but Candlemass released what will apparently be their last album, Psalms for the Dead. They said they won't be making any more albums because they want to stop before they "get too old and start putting out half-lame albums". Candlemass was actually one of the bands that got me listening to doom metal so it's kinda sad knowing they won't be making any more new stuff probably.
It's a bit disappointing as a swansong. Not bad, just not amazing.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Yikes, all that Matt Pike trouble is really bumming me out. I finally got a copy of The Art of Self Defense, after getting all of the other HoF albums. Jamming it right now for the first time and it is RIGHTEOUS.

Hope he works it all out so he and HoF and Sleep can continue to rule our wallets and souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Pitchfork is streaming another new Baroness track, "March to the Sea".

It's not what I was expecting based on the videos I've seen on YouTube, but I can't say I'm not excited as hell for this album.