Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Does anyone know what's up with Sickbeard? I was seeing an update almost every couple of days, and now there hasn't been any commits since 6-27. I'm not really complaining, as it works perfectly for me now, I was just curious if they are taking a break on the project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Roving Reporter posted:

So I'm not sure, and if I'm wrong correct me, but I is it possible that Comcast is throttling me via ports? I have Comcast Business but I recently had Supernews set to 563(SSL). I gave my PC a restart, and no joy on Usenet, yet I could access the regular web. So I switched my SABnzbd port to 443(SSL) and then the SABnzbd downloads start again.

Comcast throttling works by flagging high usage people, then if the node is congested, the high usage customer's whole connection gets throttled. Their system looks every 15 minutes. I'm not sure if the restrictions are still in place or altered for business accounts.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Comcast has got to be throttling unencrypted NNTP as well. At least on my end. 1.5MB/s Encrypted over port 563 drops down to <300KB/s when I switch to unencrypted on port 119.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EC posted:

Does anyone know what's up with Sickbeard? I was seeing an update almost every couple of days, and now there hasn't been any commits since 6-27. I'm not really complaining, as it works perfectly for me now, I was just curious if they are taking a break on the project.

This bugs me as well since I cannot use the browse function with UNC shares. I know I set the share in the config but I have been moving files around on my WHS box and now all the shows are hosed up, with no way to edit all of them at once to the new location.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Hogburto posted:

Comcast has got to be throttling unencrypted NNTP as well. At least on my end. 1.5MB/s Encrypted over port 563 drops down to <300KB/s when I switch to unencrypted on port 119.

I use comcast too, but I see a very marginal speed difference between these, seeing about 1.5 - 2MB/s on 119 and maybe like 2.1 to 2.2 on 563

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

kri kri posted:

This bugs me as well since I cannot use the browse function with UNC shares. I know I set the share in the config but I have been moving files around on my WHS box and now all the shows are hosed up, with no way to edit all of them at once to the new location.

Wouldn't it be easier to just blow out the db file and rescan everything? You probably already have all the nfo files so it wouldn't take that long.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008
Theres more overhead when using SSL, so you'll see a lower speed.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Lenins Potato posted:

Theres more overhead when using SSL, so you'll see a lower speed.
On modern systems it's a few percent at most - plus they're talking about seeing faster speeds when using encrypted connections.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

LukeyBoy posted:

On modern systems it's a few percent at most - plus they're talking about seeing faster speeds when using encrypted connections.

Well, assuming your ISP isn't crap it is slower to use SSL since the encryption has overhead. Some ISPs may limit some connection types more than others though.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Roving Reporter posted:

So I'm not sure, and if I'm wrong correct me, but I is it possible that Comcast is throttling me via ports? I have Comcast Business but I recently had Supernews set to 563(SSL). I gave my PC a restart, and no joy on Usenet, yet I could access the regular web. So I switched my SABnzbd port to 443(SSL) and then the SABnzbd downloads start again.
Doubt it, I used to use Comcast Business specifically for usenet (as well as other things that benefit from no caps) and everything was consistent even at >2TB/month. I suppose if you're in a particularly terrible area they might do a lot of shaping regardless of account type, but it seems strange that they'd entirely block a port like that.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Yeah it's definitely weird because all regular browsing will be fine yet I had to switch ports to get Usenet up and running again.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

I am disappointed with Giganews reseller Super News. Back when I used Giganews 2 years ago, I could get downloads up to 8MB/sec, which is pretty much what it takes to saturate my internet connection. Now, they've stuck me on the EU server even though I don't specify it and I'm getting an average of 1.5-2MB/sec. That blows. A lot.

Living in Korea and I'm sure that's why, but it suuuuucks. I might actually pay the Giganews premium next month for their VyprVPN (tried it when it came out and it was quite good).

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

This thread inspired me to finally check out this usenet business... It's all pretty cool, about what I expected. I bought a block of data from blocknews.net and after a little bit of loving around got everything working acceptably well. It's not super fast, but since my connection is not super fast and I'm in Australia where everything international is slow as balls, it's pretty good.

I do have one stupid newbie question though. If I downloaded something and sabnzbd is saying "Repair failed, not enough repair blocks", I'm pretty much hosed, right? I tried manually unraring everything, but that failed too. I've tried "retrying" over a couple of days and that doesn't work either. There's no point going to a different indexing site and grabbing a new .nzb because they're all pointing to the same source, right?

Is it worth deleting the files and the .nzb and starting the whole thing again, or is that just going to give me the exact same result? (I think it will be pointless but I'm a brand new newbie at this).

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

TreFitty posted:

I am disappointed with Giganews reseller Super News. Back when I used Giganews 2 years ago, I could get downloads up to 8MB/sec, which is pretty much what it takes to saturate my internet connection. Now, they've stuck me on the EU server even though I don't specify it and I'm getting an average of 1.5-2MB/sec. That blows. A lot.

Living in Korea and I'm sure that's why, but it suuuuucks. I might actually pay the Giganews premium next month for their VyprVPN (tried it when it came out and it was quite good).
I thought someone earlier in the thread mentioned that they had a datacenter in Hong Kong.

Marvel
Jun 9, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

Is it worth deleting the files and the .nzb and starting the whole thing again, or is that just going to give me the exact same result? (I think it will be pointless but I'm a brand new newbie at this).

You're probably screwed unless you try getting the files from a different provider. Whatever you were downloading was probably missing some pieces. This can happen for a variety of reasons. Sometimes they get taken down for various reasons, sometimes they are too old and start expiring, sometimes the uploader just screwed up and didn't upload all the parts.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

td4guy posted:

I thought someone earlier in the thread mentioned that they had a datacenter in Hong Kong.
*Giganews* has a datacenter in HK, but to my knowledge Supernews only goes out through the US and EU datacenters.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

AlphaDog posted:

What Marvel said, but also it's worth your time to open up the directory and run QuickPAR (or whatever) and see if you can repair it manually. If SAB tried to repair the file using the wrong par files (some nzbs include par files for samples, for example) it might fail, but you'll still be able to extract the file manually.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

AlphaDog posted:

I do have one stupid newbie question though. If I downloaded something and sabnzbd is saying "Repair failed, not enough repair blocks", I'm pretty much hosed, right? I tried manually unraring everything, but that failed too. I've tried "retrying" over a couple of days and that doesn't work either. There's no point going to a different indexing site and grabbing a new .nzb because they're all pointing to the same source, right?

try using an external par2 repairer that tells you how many blocks each file has and how many you're short, then googling the file names of the low-hanging fruit to find alternate sources.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So, I finally got of my rear end and setup RSS feeds in sabnzbd, and they are working beautifully. In my use case though, me and a few friends are sharing an account that has sabnzbd + FTP running in a datacenter somewhere, then we log in over FTP and grab our stuff.

What Windows (or Linux/Solaris I guess) clients are scriptable? I'd like to have something that can login, go to '\Linux ISOs', ls, and put Ubuntu in my Ubuntu folder, Fedora in my Fedora folder, etc. I'm hoping there's a client out with Lua scripting or something, instead of having to roll my own program to pipe into/from ncftp or something and parse stuff.

e: it looks like WinSCP will script, possibly NcFtp under windows too. If I end up writing something useful, I will come back and share it here.

movax fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 1, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm having an issue getting email notification to work. It used to work, but then I changed my gmail password and it stopped working and I was too lazy to fix the password. Now I have SABnzbd+ set up on a dedicated server, I copied the config from before (substituting the correct password), but when I try to send a test message I never receive it.

So then I tried the config from http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/configure-email, but that didn't work, either.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

AlphaDog posted:

If I downloaded something and sabnzbd is saying "Repair failed, not enough repair blocks", I'm pretty much hosed, right? I tried manually unraring everything, but that failed too.
Like everyone else has said, get yourself QuickPAR or similar to do a manual PAR check of your data. It will tell you how many blocks are missing.
Then you need to either grab more PAR files if you didn't get them all, or else re-download the broken sections hoping to get more data this time.

In Australia myself, and I've had it happen once or twice where I just used a different indexing service to get an NZB for the files that show the most missing blocks and downloaded those. Replaced the broken ones with those and re-ran QuickPAR and it fixed it all up.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thanks everyone, I'll give all that a shot later on tonight. I think I'm missing 3 blocks, which doesn't seem like much, so I guess there's hope.

I still don't totally understand this system. What exactly is a PAR / PAR2 file? A repair thingy for the main RAR archive?

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

AlphaDog posted:

I still don't totally understand this system. What exactly is a PAR / PAR2 file? A repair thingy for the main RAR archive?
Pars are recovery data for a set of rars. Essentially it's a bunch of redundant data that can be used to verify and rebuild any busted data from the the rar set.

If SABnzbd says you're missing blocks, you are almost certainly hosed without buying access to a supplementary newsfeed. Typically people use an unlimited feed with a block provider set as backup, so you only chip away at the block provider when parts are missing on the unlimited feed.

As Gromit said, there's a chance you can find a better NZB on another indexer, but in my experience that's pretty rare, unless your original NZB was some custom-generated one where you missed part of the set.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

Thanks everyone, I'll give all that a shot later on tonight. I think I'm missing 3 blocks, which doesn't seem like much, so I guess there's hope.
I would just put the filename (minus extension) in binsearch and probably find a match. Look for a matching number of archive files in the set. So much stuff gets re-uploaded.

If you could also find a matching seeded torrent, point it at the incomplete directory, hash check, and have it finish downloading just 1 file missing ~3 blocks (have it ignore all other files). Then, you're no longer short 3 repair blocks and can repair the job right away.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are Easynews and Supernews using the same backend? I like the web search for Easynews to find single files easily, and will probably keep it just for that, but it has always had poor retention. So I figured I would sign up for the $99 Supernews deal to get access to older stuff.

Only after I did that, I went and looked at the actual Easynews retention, to fill it in in SABNZBD, and it is actually 1000 days+ for NNTP (only 150 days for web though.)

So I'm wondering if I actually gained anything by spending that $99.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

smackfu posted:

Are Easynews and Supernews using the same backend? I like the web search for Easynews to find single files easily, and will probably keep it just for that, but it has always had poor retention. So I figured I would sign up for the $99 Supernews deal to get access to older stuff.

Only after I did that, I went and looked at the actual Easynews retention, to fill it in in SABNZBD, and it is actually 1000 days+ for NNTP (only 150 days for web though.)

So I'm wondering if I actually gained anything by spending that $99.

Well it looks like that they have data caps, something supernews does not.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Couch Potato is giving me URL failures from Video ETA searches, so nothing's working through there. The site seems to be working, though.

Also, nzbs.org is down. Weak.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

The Modern Leper posted:

Then it's not just me. Bumsticks.

Red Marx
Dec 21, 2005

The Modern Leper posted:

I noticed this earlier in the day, and while I was initially bummed, it did cause me to go to my fallback indexer, nzb.su.

I still hope that it's only temporary on nzbs.org, but after spending time on nzb.su, I've really grown to like it; so much about the site has changed since when I first signed up for it and it actually caused me to donate the ~$15 for a good service.

I still like the simplicity of nzbs.org, but nzb.su isn't too bad.

Edit:
And nzbs.org is back up.

Red Marx fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 3, 2011

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

smackfu posted:

Are Easynews and Supernews using the same backend?
Reading the OP is hard.

Supernews is Giganews. Easynews is Highwinds. By trading up from Easynews to Supernews you gain more retention, a better quality feed, better completion, no caps, and it's cheaper. You lose the web interface / integrated search.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

inpheaux posted:

You lose the web interface / integrated search.

But don't be put off! Nzbs is here, and if you really want to go all out you can even host your own indexer!

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

The Modern Leper posted:

Couch Potato is giving me URL failures from Video ETA searches, so nothing's working through there. The site seems to be working, though.

I noticed nzbs.org registrations have been closed for some time (or I've just missed any possible windows), but how can I get an account on there?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Someone has created a Sickbeard/Couch Potato type program for searching Usenet for music.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=103688
https://github.com/rembo10/headphones

It's a little inelegant right now. Like Sickbeard, you basically "subscribe" to an artist, then the program seems to scrape Musicbrainz for all of the artist's official releases. It can also "sync" with your library to determine what songs in a discography you already have.

I've seen people ask for something like this before, and I figure that the coder population here might be interested in taking a crack at helping this guy out.

EDIT: It's parsing through my library now. I feel that the "formal" way that it's organizing certain artists is not going to work well if I try to search for songs or albums by the artist later (scene conventions vs. musicbrain naming conventions). Also, I'm deathly afraid of what's going to happen when this scraper hits "Various Artists"

EDIT: It appears to read the "Artist" tag, rather than the "Album Artist" tag. Still, this is definitely a "set it up, walk away for a few hours" situation.

EDIT: The first two images made me a little uncomfortable because they were kinda explicit. Worth checking out the links if the concept interests you.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 4, 2011

IanMalcolm
Jan 22, 2010

The Modern Leper posted:

Someone has created a Sickbeard/Couch Potato type program for searching Usenet for music.

And the developer is a really nice guy, too.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
oh nice, thanks for the heads up this looks like the type of thing I could use

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
So, fourteen hours or so later, I would say DO NOT let Headphones scan your hard drive. It will pull up a full discography and subscribe to every single artist it finds. It doesn't matter if you don't particularly want stuff by the artist, or if you only have one song by the artist. If you delete an artist, it will restore the information without asking.

If you don't have it scan your library, however, it seems to be a pretty cool way to simplify searching for specific pieces of music. The "auto-seek" only works for pending releases -- there's no "backlog," though you can always search individual pieces within a catalog.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I noticed that when using couchpotato, it finds movies but the category is not correctly set to movies anymore. What gives?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Le0 posted:

I noticed that when using couchpotato, it finds movies but the category is not correctly set to movies anymore. What gives?

Same goes for me, I'm not sure what changed.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
also just curious but doesn't couchpotato scrap it's data from imdb? I always thought so but it's obviously not the case cause some movies that are on imdb aren't found by it. Is there any way to work around that for some movies it doesn't find?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Modern Leper posted:

This seems neat. I'm certainly not letting it scrape my library though. One single does not mean I want the entire discography of an artist.