Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

I just shot my new-to-me CZ 82. It rules. Also, I found out that 9mm Mak bullets from Missouri bullet company are 6 cents each. I am totally reloading this cartridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.

he knows...

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

I just shot my new-to-me CZ 82. It rules. Also, I found out that 9mm Mak bullets from Missouri bullet company are 6 cents each. I am totally reloading this cartridge.

Whaaaaat link to those bullets please.

Derrrr reloading materials of course not pre-made bullets.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 28, 2011

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Whaaaaat link to those bullets please.

http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?category=5&secondary=28

They are lead round-nosed.

operation_paperclip
Aug 26, 2010

SadWhaleFamily posted:

http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?category=5&secondary=28

They are lead round-nosed.

Those wouldn't mix well with the 82's polygonal rifling, would they?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Not really, no. Or you'd have to be super-dilligent with your cleaning.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

The "polygonal rifling + lead" thing is lawyer mumbo jumbo for the most part. Just clean it out every few hundred rounds.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

The "polygonal rifling + lead" thing is lawyer mumbo jumbo for the most part. Just clean it out every few hundred rounds.

I've heard using a slightly harder alloy (more tin and antimony, linotype maybe?) and keeping velocity reasonable more or less completely obviates the issue, can any lead boolit people confirm/deny this?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The polygonal and lead stuff is mostly just B.S. Polygonal rifling might want bullets size a bit bigger however. More hardness than what you get from your usual clip-on wheel weight alloy is not usually required either, 98/2/2 lead/tin/antimony alloy should suffice for almost any handgun caliber.

Read more: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=33855

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

It's pretty hard NOT to keep Makarov within reasonable velocity. It'd be fun trying to make minor power factor, but I think my hands would disagree.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Another factor that I've heard that deserves consideration is that every company's polygonal rifling is different. Glock's is different from HK's is different from IMI's is different from CZ's. Maybe. And don't forget that weird-rear end Metford rifling!

Here's a wikipedia link for even more speculation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonal_rifling#Lead_bullets_and_polygonal_rifling

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Called CZ. They said don't shoot it without the right side slide stop lever in place. Also they said the current model right side slide stop lever requires a frame modification to install, but they do it for free if you send in the frame.

Hopefully my father-in-law knows what happened to the right-side lever, because otherwise I have to drop $35 on a new one and wait on the frame to get there and back.

Don't know if you did anything yet, but don't panic yet.

Try calling CZ-Custom, and ask to speak to one of the smiths there about it. They do really, really drat good work (CZ-USA may as well be affiliated with them) and they might be able to help you out - namely, they might be able to get a pre-b slight stop lever for you.

May or may not work, but worth a try. The lever just pops in, though there is a little retaining spring that might be damaged/missing as well.

My 82 was my first gun, the first gun I detailed stripped ( ) and the only one I regret getting rid of. If you get a handload that works well with in using lead bullets, be sure to let me the world know so I can buy another and afford to shoot it.

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 29, 2011

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

I don't see why a 94 gr lead bullet would have trouble with 3.2 or so gr of Bullseye. Should fill the case nicely without being too punishing. Also, cheap.

And if you really, really are afraid of using lead, there are Berrys plated bullets for about 9 cents each.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

So I spent this afternoon polishing the trigger bow and sear cage on my P-01, and installed an 85 Combat trigger with the overtravel adjustment. Holy poo poo. The trigger is honestly nicer than my 1911 Gold Cup's. I'm thinking about installing one of my heavier mainsprings because the single action feels like I'm not even pulling it. Double action is also greatly smoothed.

Juice
Jun 19, 2002

So I spent this afternoon polishing the trigger bow and sear cage on my P-01, and installed an 85 Combat trigger with the overtravel adjustment. Holy poo poo. The trigger is honestly nicer than my 1911 Gold Cup's. I'm thinking about installing one of my heavier mainsprings because the single action feels like I'm not even pulling it. Double action is also greatly smoothed.

Be very cautious of a very light SA pull on a DA/SA gun. I had my P229 trigger tweaked to a buttery smooth DA and a 2 pound SA. This was waaaay too light. It was easy to inadvertantly double tap after a DA pull. YMMV, of course.

ShaneB
Oct 21, 2002

So after taking things apart a little, I figured out what happened with the CZ85 I now have in my hands. The right side stop lever broke at the most delicate spot, where the post sheath meets the actual lever. So the way this thing works is: the left lever has a solid post that extends through a hole in the frame, a solid metal piece in the frame the slide, another solid metal piece on the other side of the frame, and through the hole on the other side of the frame. The right side lever attaches to the lever and the post "sheath" slides into the metal piece inside the frame. So basically all I have now is the sheath piece that is stuck in between the slide and a metal rod that makes it not fall out the other side of the frame. So the left side lever still operates and is held in place by sliding through the little cylinder piece of the right side lever.

Is this safe? Meaning: is any great stress placed upon the slide stop pieces when firing? I can't really tell what it does during firing, if anything.

Sorry for all the , I wish I just took some photos.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Juice posted:

Be very cautious of a very light SA pull on a DA/SA gun. I had my P229 trigger tweaked to a buttery smooth DA and a 2 pound SA. This was waaaay too light. It was easy to inadvertantly double tap after a DA pull. YMMV, of course.

The trigger is still about 3.5 to 4 lbs... it just feels like it isn't.

ShaneB posted:

Is this safe? Meaning: is any great stress placed upon the slide stop pieces when firing? I can't really tell what it does during firing, if anything.

It stops the slide's motion. Also it controls the camming of the barrel.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

ShaneB posted:

No. Get a new slide stop. It plays a not insignificant part in actually holding your slide into the gun.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

CZ-USA's shipping is really fast. Just get a new slide stop and a bunch of other goodies and be done with it.

ShaneB
Oct 21, 2002

CZ-USA's shipping is really fast. Just get a new slide stop and a bunch of other goodies and be done with it.

It's a pre b. The lever is different and they have to mod the frame to make it fit. That's 45 dollars to send it back because you have to ship firearms priority overnight. Then 35 for the lever and 2 months estimated turn around time...

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

ShaneB posted:

It's a pre b. The lever is different and they have to mod the frame to make it fit. That's 45 dollars to send it back because you have to ship firearms priority overnight. Then 35 for the lever and 2 months estimated turn around time...

Well either you don't shoot it for two months and be out $80, or you never shoot it ever because it's not safe, or you shoot it even though it's unsafe and you're eventually out a $500 gun (or higher medical bill) when it fires out of battery or something weird and explodey.

$80 for peace of mind is an okay trade-off to me, anyway.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there no replacement parts for pre-b CZs? It seems like there would be a market for that, since having a gun modified is kind of a distasteful option to some people.

edit: Numrich has 85 slide stops, but they don't seem to distinguish between b and pre-b, so odds are it is the wrong kind.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 3, 2011

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

ShaneB posted:

http://czcustom.com/cz85combatslidestop.aspx

The Combat is a non-b variant. If the change in slide stop setup was to accommodate the firing pin block, it's possible this may work for you. Call and ask.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

I was in Cabela's today and played with a SP07 that I was pretty impressed with. I came home and did some googling. I really wanted a steel frame SAO to play around with since I have the sorta DAO polymer stuff pretty locked down with my Glocks. I noticed the SP01 could be converted to SAO with a $30 part. Then I went to gunbroker and I found a thing.

So yeah, joining the CZ club.

e: gently caress the Tactical cannot be converted to a safety gun. I totally misread that.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 6, 2011

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

priznat posted:

Sorry for the delay!

Pretty cool how they can switch between safety and decocker just by swapping some parts.
Who the hell is selling threaded barrels for the P07?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Who the hell is selling threaded barrels for the P07?

Don't know, this is how they come in Canada to meet barrel length requirements.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

What rotten luck. At the range today, my 82's trigger return spring broke, and I just launched my P-01's firing pin block spring into orbit and cannot find it. CZ ships fast, but their shipping cost is ridiculous (12 bucks) and I JUST ordered from them last weekend. Lame!

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

priznat posted:

Don't know, this is how they come in Canada to meet barrel length requirements.

http://www.guns.com/sneaking-peeks-at-czs-p-08-duty.html

Looks like we'll get them from CZ some day. That OD one with the fancy suppressor sights is ballin.

Also kinda dig the front cocking serrations on the P08

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

The P07 wasn't ugly enough so they had to make a bigger one.

CZs used to be so pretty.

ShaneB
Oct 21, 2002

I haven't even been shooting with my CZ85 (pretty bad thumb ligament injury, going to need like 3-4 more weeks) and I'm already daydreaming about getting an SP-01 Shadow so I can be like Adam Tyc

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Does anyone make a Serpa holster for the CZ75?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus

Yams Fan

Crossposting from the photos thread: Got my Marschal grips

So far I am very pleased with them.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Those look gorgeous, but I've read way too many reports of them snapping to buy them. Also, those finger ridges suuuuuck for reaching the mag release, so I just filed my plastic grips down.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus

Yams Fan

Those look gorgeous, but I've read way too many reports of them snapping to buy them.

Yeah they feel really thin. I'm not not carrying it though, so I'm not terribly worried about it breaking from rough handling.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Supposedly they were cracking from the stress of firing. Somehow.

Also, holy gently caress factory mainsprings for the 82 are heavy. Jesus.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Whale Cancer posted:

If anyone did, it would be BLACKHAWK! because they make all Serpa holsters because Serpa holsters are a BLACKHAWK! product.

They do not but Google says that a Beretta 92 holster will work if you tighten the tension screw a bunch.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Whale Cancer posted:

Don't buy a Serpa, they are awful.

Goldfinger
Aug 6, 2006

I think I'm trading my P-01 + some cash for a new SP-01 (if you are buying a gun, always get the one you really want instead of settling). Has anyone converted an SP-01 to SAO and, if so, how do you like the result? Does the tactical sport straight trigger feel as good as it looks?

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Goldfinger posted:

I think I'm trading my P-01 + some cash for a new SP-01 (if you are buying a gun, always get the one you really want instead of settling). Has anyone converted an SP-01 to SAO and, if so, how do you like the result? Does the tactical sport straight trigger feel as good as it looks?

I can speak to the SAO conversion, though I did it to a 75b. If you like SA triggers then I would definitely go for it, I have been very pleased with the results. I also removed the Firing Pin Block (to further reduce pre-travel) and put in a Comp Hammer for additional awesomeness. I don't have a way to measure the trigger but it is about the same as my Dan Wesson with less pre-travel, so probably about 3.5 Lbs.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

Shop has a pre-b 75 with 95% enamel finish for $325. is that a deal worth jumping on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Quickshanks posted:

Shop has a pre-b 75 with 95% enamel finish for $325. is that a deal worth jumping on?

Frame or slide safety ';