Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

At first I thought it was the Tactical Sports topend, but the rear sight is part of the slide. I'm not much for the railed lower, but I'd love to put that topend on my TS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Craptacular posted:

1/2x20 threaded barrel

Just get a non-threaded rifle and have a gunsmith thread it to the proper pitch.

1/2"x20 is a common thread for suppressors in Europe/UK/NZ, or "most of the places you can legally have suppressors"

If US suppressor makers don't give you options for different threads then gently caress them?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thank you! I love CZ guns and i hope some day i can afford one to be friends with my Star Super B.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

gimpsuitjones posted:

1/2"x20 is a common thread for suppressors in Europe/UK/NZ, or "most of the places you can legally have suppressors"

If US suppressor makers don't give you options for different threads then gently caress them?

I know it's a common threading other places, but that's beside the point. Manufacturers here do give threading options for some calibers but I can't think of a US-made .22LR suppressor that uses anything other than 1/2x28. It'd be nice to have the option to buy foreign suppressors too but that's illegal.

Also, why do you guys use a threading based on imperial measurements? I'd have thought you'd use something metric.

ShaneB
Oct 21, 2002

Not a single dealer in SE MI sells the SP-01. I stopped in for a purchase license with the hopes of just randomly finding one locally. I'm about this close || to just getting a SP-01 Shadow from CZ Custom and being set for a long long time.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

ShaneB posted:

Not a single dealer in SE MI sells the SP-01. I stopped in for a purchase license with the hopes of just randomly finding one locally. I'm about this close || to just getting a SP-01 Shadow from CZ Custom and being set for a long long time.

If you're moving to Chicago, there's a gunsmith around there who is closely tied with CZ. I guarantee he will have a SP-01 or can get one for you in short order. He's a dealer and I think he does a lot of warranty work for CZ-USA. PM me if you want me to chase down his contact info.

He also is generally a good all-around gunsmith. Dad went and had him do some trigger work on a Remington 31 he picked up and he did a great job.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

ShaneB posted:

SP-01 you say?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

ShaneB posted:

If you jsut want the standard SP-01 and not the Shadow, I'd bet money that Top Gun in Taylor has one - I've heard the owner is a huge CZ fan, and he typically has a bunch of them in stock.

miklm
Dec 7, 2003

What a cunning fellow.

Well I just picked up my new P-07 Duty from the local FFL. Screw you guys if you don't think it looks great.

First CZ. Hi thread. Awful phone pic:

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.

poopgiggle posted:

If you're moving to Chicago, there's a gunsmith around there who is closely tied with CZ. I guarantee he will have a SP-01 or can get one for you in short order. He's a dealer and I think he does a lot of warranty work for CZ-USA. PM me if you want me to chase down his contact info.

He also is generally a good all-around gunsmith. Dad went and had him do some trigger work on a Remington 31 he picked up and he did a great job.

Just wondering who this gunsmith is. I like CZs and am in Chicago and would like to know since I plan on getting a CZ in the very near future.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

Between an SP01 with a competition hammer and trigger job from the custom shop and an SP01 Shadow with no extra work, which would have the better trigger?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Operating Rod posted:

Between an SP01 with a competition hammer and trigger job from the custom shop and an SP01 Shadow with no extra work, which would have the better trigger?

Probably the Shadow as the SP01 has a firing pin block.

Unless you have them remove the FPB as well.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Here's another Custom vs Shadow question - how different is the Shadow frame from a typical SP01 frame? I read that it has scalloping or something to give you a slightly higher grip and that kind of concerns me because the normal CZ grip fits me perfectly.

The Pigeon
Feb 8, 2008

I have nothing to say here.

College Slice

For you CZ .22LR owners, aside from it being the newer model, is there any reason to get a 455 instead of the 452? Also, is there going to be that much of an accuracy difference between the American and the Varmint models? I'm looking for something to take out and plink around with, shoot lots of paper and the occasional rabbit or skunk. I'm hoping the added weight of the bull barrel on the Varmint model is worth the added accuracy.

Please help me spend my money on a top end .22.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

The Pigeon posted:

For you CZ .22LR owners, aside from it being the newer model, is there any reason to get a 455 instead of the 452? Also, is there going to be that much of an accuracy difference between the American and the Varmint models? I'm looking for something to take out and plink around with, shoot lots of paper and the occasional rabbit or skunk. I'm hoping the added weight of the bull barrel on the Varmint model is worth the added accuracy.

Please help me spend my money on a top end .22.

Well, you can change calibers from .22 to .17 with a barrel swap on the 455's, but that's about it. They also changed the iron sights on the 455, if it's a model that has them. The old 452's have a tangent-type rear sight, with yardage adjustments, and the 455's have a regular leaf set up. Accuracy is essentially unchanged from 452 to 455. I hear really good things about the Varmint.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

My 452 Varmint is kind of heavy for a walking around rifle, but it's killer from a rest. Boringly accurate.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

My dad told me about this weird one today. Apparently Colt was working on a CZ-75 derivative

Angus Hobdell posted:

You asking the right person as I was right on middle of it, when the Colt Z 40 happened.
Beside myself, another two persons you know very well, were instrumental in Colt Z or CZ .40 B project. It was Ira Kay and Kerby Smith. I will send you a copy of Ira Kay's e-mail from September 18th, 1997 describing chronology of the Colt/CZ relationship involving COLT Z/CZ.40 B projects.This is if I manage to find it.

Just remember, there was just one significant specification put forward by the Colt people - this pistol must bear exterior similarity with the the Colt 1911. It was just a verbal request, nothing was written down or signed on this design matter. We just shook the hands. That was it! All another work was left on the CZ engineers. Shape of the pistol was designed by the Industrial Architect Vojtech Anderle (also author of CZ 100 design), and all interior mechanism works on Colt Z .40 was done by Radek Hauerland, who also worked with me later on CZ 2075 RAMI project. Your statement is absolutely correct, the Colt Z 40/CZ.40B pistol mechanism was fully adopted from CZ 75 line of pistols.

After CZ/Colt deal collapse, pistol was made by CZ for an another customers, but in limited numbers. When Radek Hauerland worked on trigger mechanism for COLT Z .40, he at the same time got ready SA/DA and Decocker versions of this pistols. Therefore it was easy to later produce all these trigger mechanism versions, and also the caliber conversion down from .40 to 9x19 was very easy to make. Beside the Colt Z.40 and CZ .40 B pistols, there was an another model based on COLT Z .40 design produced in 9 x 19 cal and called the CZ LE 9.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Alaan posted:

My dad told me about this weird one today. Apparently Colt was working on a CZ-75 derivative

Your dad is Angus Hobdell??

I think I need to have the CZ LE 9 now.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

SadWhaleFamily posted:

Your dad is Angus Hobdell??

I think I need to have the CZ LE 9 now.

Haha not at all. He told me about it and I found Angus talking about it on a forum. He just put Colt into gunbroker one day and one of those was on there. I looked at him like he had two heads when he told me Colt did a CZ-75 derivative.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

Lunchboxx posted:

Just wondering who this gunsmith is. I like CZs and am in Chicago and would like to know since I plan on getting a CZ in the very near future.

The guy's name is Pawel Janusz. He's vaguely in the Chicago area but it's pretty far north.

http://www.competitivefirearms.com/pages/-Custom-Services.html

You might be able to save $20 by ordering through Bud's instead of him but his prices aren't horrible.

poopgiggle fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 25, 2011

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Looks like that's what eventually became the CZ RAMI

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.

poopgiggle posted:

The guy's name is Pawel Janusz. He's vaguely in the Chicago area but it's pretty far north.

http://www.competitivefirearms.com/pages/-Custom-Services.html

You might be able to save $20 by ordering through Bud's instead of him but his prices aren't horrible.

No, this is perfect. That's only a 20 mile drive for me, and Bud's doesn't have any Shadow Customs from what I see. Thanks for the info!

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

king of the bongo posted:

May I interest you in a short slide fullsize?

CZ vz. Iron Giant

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

I just shot my new-to-me CZ 82. It rules. Also, I found out that 9mm Mak bullets from Missouri bullet company are 6 cents each. I am totally reloading this cartridge.

I'm a little late to this, but I've loaded all 500 of those Missouri bullets. They're OK, but you really have to watch for leading. I ran maybe the first 100 rounds of LRN through my CZ82 and noticed they were smoking. A lot. I had been careful to work out pressure vs. hardness. The Missouri bullets are almost too hard for the relatively low pressures that 9x18 should be safely run at. Per the formula on Missouri Bullet's own site for figuring optimal hardness, they should actually be around 13-14 Brinell. 18 Brinell (which the Missouri bullets are) may not obturate entirely, leading to gas cutting. This is what I'm guessing was happening.

So my LRN rounds were very smoky at full pressure, and keyholing all over. I dropped the pressure a bit, and things stabilized, but still smoky. I also slugged the bore before deleading and found it down around .358". Normal is .363. Pipebomb ahoy! I nuked the bore from orbit with lead remover, and things were better: no excessive smoke, stable bullets. However, about 1/2 way through the box (so about 250 rounds), I noticed smoking again.

Lead build up is a real thing, and in poly bores, needs to be dealt with.

If you can find them, It's just simpler to go with jacketed bullets if you're going to reload 9x18.
edit: check out Berry's Plated. I've not used them, but might order some in the next few weeks. If I do, I'll post in the Reloading thread.

Not Nipsy Russell fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 25, 2011

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

Have you ever used Missouri Bullet Company before? Their lubricant smokes like a bastard. I literally smoked myself out during an IDPA match once shooting my 45 ACP load using their stuff. Thankfully the next stage was in a different location.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

Lunchboxx posted:

No, this is perfect. That's only a 20 mile drive for me, and Bud's doesn't have any Shadow Customs from what I see. Thanks for the info!

I've lived in OK for so long that I forget that back in Chicago people say things like "only a 20 mile drive."

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

Have you ever used Missouri Bullet Company before? Their lubricant smokes like a bastard. I literally smoked myself out during an IDPA match once shooting my 45 ACP load using their stuff. Thankfully the next stage was in a different location.

I did not know that! Thanks! This was my first time using them, and they were still pretty smoky even after everything I did. Given the constricted barrel, though, my thought was that the pressures were getting hith enough to start doing nasty things to the bullet. I've since gotten a box of LRN from them for my 38 s&w loading that are perfect for it. Just for the 9x18 mak, I prefer plated.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

Even "hard" lead is really soft and is unlikely to cause pressure issues. It will still shoot like poo poo though.

If your barrel is .358 then why not use bullets sized to that?

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

bunnielab posted:

Even "hard" lead is really soft and is unlikely to cause pressure issues. It will still shoot like poo poo though.

If your barrel is .358 then why not use bullets sized to that?

Sorry, I didn't make that clear. My barrel, slugged with a chunk of very soft lead solder was .358. 9x18mak should be .363. After deleading, it was .361. Better, and more like where it was supposed to be. I'm assuming the .003 difference was lead buildup.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

May I interest you in a short slide fullsize?

I'm joining the Shadow club today and this is the first thing I'm going to do with it and my PCR. before I sell the PCR to a friend who lives locally so it's still within arm's reach

also hey, does anyone know a light compatible holster for the SP-01? Raven doesn't do that and this TLR-1 that is begging to be used.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Bummey posted:

I'm joining the Shadow club today and this is the first thing I'm going to do with it and my PCR. before I sell the PCR to a friend who lives locally so it's still within arm's reach

also hey, does anyone know a light compatible holster for the SP-01? Raven doesn't do that and this TLR-1 that is begging to be used.

I recently got a TLR-1 for my SP-01 and have been unable to find a holster. I am betting that making your own would be the best option at this point.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

ZebraBlade posted:

I recently got a TLR-1 for my SP-01 and have been unable to find a holster. I am betting that making your own would be the best option at this point.

Off to the Kydex thread, then.. I'm gonna have to get a shitload of Kydex to make up for all my mistakes.

edit: Holy poo poo, this trigger. This gun. My PCR may as well be a hi point.

I'm so sorry, PCR, that was too mean.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 3, 2012

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

My PCR had a gritty, heavy trigger when I first got it too. It's smoothed out nicely though, don't fear too much.

And short-slide? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=267171047

Bummey
May 26, 2004

IuniusBrutus posted:

My PCR had a gritty, heavy trigger when I first got it too. It's smoothed out nicely though, don't fear too much.

I was commenting on my new Shadow's trigger and comparing it to my year old PCR, but I still adore the little bastard.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 3, 2012

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

What's your guys opinion on the 455 American vs the 455 Lux? I've been shopping around for my first bolt action .22 for target shooting and I've settled on the CZ 455 as the rifle I want, but now I'm not sure of the flavor I want.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

-Zydeco- posted:

What's your guys opinion on the 455 American vs the 455 Lux? I've been shopping around for my first bolt action .22 for target shooting and I've settled on the CZ 455 as the rifle I want, but now I'm not sure of the flavor I want.

Personally I like the Lux. The European comb fits me very nicely. Plus the American lacks iron sights. The CZ iron sights are just really drat good for stock sights.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Personally I like the Lux. The European comb fits me very nicely. Plus the American lacks iron sights. The CZ iron sights are just really drat good for stock sights.

Thanks. Is there a recommended set of aperture sights for the CZs?

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

-Zydeco- posted:

Cz with glass can be a bit boring. I would get irons if I did it again as you can always mount a scope. Get the FS if you can.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

seconding that sentiment. The same reason I sold my 452 silhouette: too loving easy.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Cz with glass can be a bit boring. I would get irons if I did it again as you can always mount a scope. Get the FS if you can.

I can't really afford the FS but what are the advantages to the full stock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Sexiness.