Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

What, no Shadow talk? I thought those were superior tacticality for operational operators. No? Or different application?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DakianDelomast
Mar 5, 2003

quote:

Option 1: CZ85 Combat.
+ No firing pin block, so smoother trigger, right?
+ Better sights
+ Drop-free magazine well
- I have heard mixed reports on how much the FPB actually matters.
- More expensive
- Ambi-slide release and safety will just make it more difficult to find holsters
- Have heard reports of slide stop breakages on 85s

Option 2: CZ75B SAO
+ Single action triggers on these are supposedly quite nice
+ Drop-free magazine well
+ Not much more expensive than a standard 75, and I save money on not having to do a SAO conversion later
- Bumps me to ESP only for IDPA

Option 3: CZ75B
+ Cheapest option; used ones pop up frequently, too.
+ Easiest to located holsters and gear for.
- Requires another $80 if I decide I want an SAO gun.

Option 4: CZ75B Compact (steel frame)
+ Technically a compact, but steel frame to help it shoot a little nicer than my PCR
+ I can use all of the same magazines, holsters, and gear as my carry weapon
+ Same controls (essentially) and ergonomics as my carry weapon
- The compact grip fits my hand perfectly, but still a shorter barrel and lower weight, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Option 5: Hi-Power or clone
+ Trigger beats snot out of CZ trigger
+ Easier and cheaper to do trigger job on, further increasing awesome level
- Either spend $$$$ for a modern one, or buy an older one and have the slide machined for novaks
- Grip isn't quite as comfortable
- ESP only

Thoughts, TFR? Any of the above will get a trigger job and new sights, likely. The CZ also has the advantage of having great (if expensive) .22 kits available, while the Hi-Power has dubious looking Ceiner kits. Also, I know SP01 Shadows rock so hard, but I'll go way over $1000 on one of those, and that's just too much for me - I'll be able to keep my initial purchase under $600 this way, and can break it in a bit, before getting the trigger worked on.

Option 3. Start small and grow from there.

Also as the owner of 1 CZ75BD and 2 BHPs, CZ75s have better triggers. I like resets.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

BadgerMan45 posted:

I vote SAO, I converted my 75B to SAO, installed a comp hammer, and yoinked the FPS. The trigger is ridiculously nice now, like 1911 nice. Unfortunately, I think you have to leave the FPS in for IDPA since it came with one. As far as the FPS is concerned, it really only makes sense to pull it if you have a trigger with pretravel adjustment because then you can cut it down to pretty much nothing and have a really short reset. I think the SAO also has the ledge safety and beavertail as well.

Did you do the trigger and hammer yourself? How difficult was it? If I could do either or both on my own, that would save me a couple of bucks and make my choice easier.

Ive pretty much eliminated the 85 as an option - the lack of a FPB isn't worth $125 to me, unless someone chimes in otherwise. I do have another option though, I think: supposedly, late model pre-B have near total parts compatibility with B models. If so, i can buy a non-FSB gun on the cheap, and yet not have to worry about future parts availability problems or finding magazines for cheap.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Drav posted:

What, no Shadow talk? I thought those were superior tacticality for operational operators. No? Or different application?

Shadows are pretty much built to rock the IPSC production division iirc (and they do)

Dunno if operating operators want fibre optic front sights?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus

Yams Fan

What exactly is the difference between the base SP-01, the Shadow and the Tactical?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

SP-01: Safety
SP-01 Tactical: Decocker
Shadow: Safety with FPB removed, fibre optic front sight, novak rear sight, weaker recoil spring

probably a few other minor diffs too.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

IuniusBrutus posted:

Did you do the trigger and hammer yourself? How difficult was it? If I could do either or both on my own, that would save me a couple of bucks and make my choice easier.

Ive pretty much eliminated the 85 as an option - the lack of a FPB isn't worth $125 to me, unless someone chimes in otherwise. I do have another option though, I think: supposedly, late model pre-B have near total parts compatibility with B models. If so, i can buy a non-FSB gun on the cheap, and yet not have to worry about future parts availability problems or finding magazines for cheap.

The hammer was drop in for me, and not too difficult to swap. I did have to buy a new hammer strut (and if you don't go SAO you might want to pick up the disconnector as well) because they staked the poo poo out of pins holding the three parts together so it was easier just to buy new ones for a couple bucks. The only hard part about swapping the trigger was trying to get the new pin in and keep the trigger properly positioned while fighting the trigger return spring, I was able to finagle it after a while but it was frustrating for a bit there. Definitely use some sort of slave pin to get it all lined up as that makes it easier. If you decided to stay DA/SA I would still recommend the comp hammer because it is a pretty noticeable improvement over the stock hammer.

If you decide to go the pre-b route, you can still buy pre-b sears and such from CZ and a lot of the other parts will work in both so keeping one running wouldn't be too difficult and you will have an awesome rounded trigger guard. I actually picked up a pre-b sear to replace my old one in order to run the gun w/out the FPB (you can also modify the spacer that actuates the FPB but I like to keep stock parts in original condition in case I want to go back to them in the future).

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

DakianDelomast posted:

Also as the owner of 1 CZ75BD and 2 BHPs, CZ75s have better triggers. I like resets.

Yeah, the BHP *CAN* have a great trigger, but stock BHP trigger pulls are often pretty bad.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, the BHP *CAN* have a great trigger, but stock BHP trigger pulls are often pretty bad.

I wasn't super impressed with the trigger on the few BHPs ive fired either.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

Is the Shadow really $1200?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Drav posted:

Is the Shadow really $1200?

What? No way. It can be had for $760 in Canada even.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

I am torn if I want to get SAO done on my SP-01 or just have the trigger cleaned up. Does anyone know what exactly can be done to it and still be USPSA production legal? For some reason I shoot production much better than limited but it would be a good excuse to practice and get better to keep up with the competition in limited.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

Well the Shadow on CZ's website is $1k and I don't see them for sale on any of the usual sites like Bud's. Where exactly do you buy a Shadow anyway?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Drav posted:

Well the Shadow on CZ's website is $1k and I don't see them for sale on any of the usual sites like Bud's. Where exactly do you buy a Shadow anyway?

Check out CZ-Custom - iirc, they are $880 for the standard DA/SA model.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That's weird, they're fairly common in stores in Canada. $1k seems like a lot, although I guess that is msrp?

I shot one at a rental range and it's my next pistol purchase for sure.

c4t3
Dec 29, 2008

Drav posted:

You should double czech, you probably saw the Shadow Target and not the regular shadow. The shadow Target goes for like $1300 while the shadow goes for $800.

(how could you not use the pun...)

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

http://czcustom.com/CZ-75-SP01-SHADOW-PolyCoat-9mm.aspx

FFFFF I want one so bad it hurts. I just can't bear to think of spending all of my gun funds for the next year in one place.

edit: huh. The Shadows have a wider hammer, which makes them incompatible with Kadet kits.

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 24, 2011

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

IuniusBrutus posted:

http://czcustom.com/CZ-75-SP01-SHADOW-PolyCoat-9mm.aspx

FFFFF I want one so bad it hurts. I just can't bear to think of spending all of my gun funds for the next year in one place.

edit: huh. The Shadows have a wider hammer, which makes them incompatible with Kadet kits.

That is strange. I have a friend who has the kadet kit and uses it on the shadow he owns.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus

Yams Fan

Figuring out what the Kadet kit will work with can be kinda a pain.

CZ USA posted:

For the use with pistols bearing designation as the CZ 75 SP-01, CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical and CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow the conversion kit requires some adaptations to be made by a competent gunsmith.

Unfortunately it supposedly does not work at all with the Phantom

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus

Yams Fan

Double post because I was poking around the CZ site. If you haven't, check out their engraving section:

Runs the gamut from tasteful to "uh... really?" (in my opinion, anyway)

Edit: DINOSAUR GUN.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef

That dinosaur looks like it's having trouble taking a poo poo. I'm sure they could have done better. Besides, wouldn't you want a predatory dinosaur engraved on your weapon's grip rather than a little bitch herbivore?!

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Ophidian posted:

I hunt with my cz550 full stock in 6.5x55. Next time there is some decent sun out I am going to take some new pictures of it... It is the only gun I own anymore since moving back to new jersey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN253RLDdM8

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Giant Isopod posted:

Edit: DINOSAUR GUN.

It's no Larry Flynt Edition, but minus the gold controls this is hot. Even better if they can do grips with petrified wood inlay.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

That dinosaur looks like it's having trouble taking a poo poo. I'm sure they could have done better. Besides, wouldn't you want a predatory dinosaur engraved on your weapon's grip rather than a little bitch herbivore?!

Not only is it a little bitch herbivore, it doesn't even have the badass horns like its triceratops cousin or the completely styracosaurus.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Ok, so the local store has a CZ75B in the satin nickle with three magazines in excellent condition for $425. It's on consignment too, so I think I get away with no sales tax...pull the trigger on it or no?

Shnitzel
Jan 16, 2006
Mr. Pibb + Redvines = Crazy Delicious

I asked earlier but I did some more research. I have a 75 Omega and I'm trying to get a Kadet kit, but allegedly they don't work with omega frames. Floating around on the internet there appears to be a Kadet/Omega adaptor, I even found a CZUSA SKU (01611) but there is no mention on the official site. Anyone seen/know about this?

I'm also having trouble finding out how to modify them to work together if that is indeed my only alternative?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

IuniusBrutus posted:

Ok, so the local store has a CZ75B in the satin nickle with three magazines in excellent condition for $425. It's on consignment too, so I think I get away with no sales tax...pull the trigger on it or no?

I would.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

IuniusBrutus posted:

If you want one, I say go for it.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Only thing that concerns me is that it comes with 2 10 rounds ban mags, which means its likely at least 6 or 7 years old, and thus out of warranty.

This normally wouldn't bother me, but since I'd honestly rather have the black than nickle finish, even after transfer fees, I can get a new 75 for only 70 bucks more.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

IuniusBrutus posted:

Only thing that concerns me is that it comes with 2 10 rounds ban mags, which means its likely at least 6 or 7 years old, and thus out of warranty.

This normally wouldn't bother me, but since I'd honestly rather have the black than nickle finish, even after transfer fees, I can get a new 75 for only 70 bucks more.

I think you answered your own question. The CZ warranty is pretty limited anyways and I don't know if it covers used guns.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I decided to pass on the 75. I was settling for a gun, simply because I could find it in a store. I went to a different gun shop, however, and fondled some other things. Shot a Beretta 92FS, which I actually really liked, and will probably pick one up some day. This shop has a goodly selection of CZs, so I played with some of them. Decided I need to get an alloy RAMI soon, and also discovered that although the extended beaver tail of the SP-series CZs are nice, its not a huge difference for me.

The guy also made me fondle a FNP-9, which was neat, and a Sig P226 Elite which was absolutely amazing (which surprised me, since I don't normally like 226s), but a bit out of my price range. It was all for naught though, since I just spent too much money on this:

It was only a bit cheaper than I could get a new 85 for at the shop or from CZ-Custom, but already has new sights installed, resprung, and the CZ-Custom comp hammer, which essentially made it exactly what I wanted. Fairly low round count <1000 and supposedly has a fantastic trigger. This is my first GB gun purchase, here's to hoping it turns out well!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sweet lookin CZ85! Two tones are cool.

I handled a couple SP-01s on the weekend and it's just redoubled my desire to get one, although now I have to decide between the SP-01 Tactical or the Shadow.. Probably the Shadow but I kinda like decockers for some weird reason. Plus night sights are neat.

Also checked out the Tactical Sport but that's a bit too spendy, really nice though. Going for the "poor man's X5" market segment.

priznat fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 27, 2011

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is it just me, or does CZ not make any left-handed 550s except for that .375H&H?

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

IuniusBrutus posted:

Not that it matters anymore, but I picked up mine with ban mags and it was 2010 production so that may not mean anything. Congrats on the nice new pistola.

TheHeavyPersuader
Oct 25, 2010

IuniusBrutus posted:

I decided to pass on the 75. I was settling for a gun, simply because I could find it in a store. I went to a different gun shop, however, and fondled some other things. Shot a Beretta 92FS, which I actually really liked, and will probably pick one up some day. This shop has a goodly selection of CZs, so I played with some of them. Decided I need to get an alloy RAMI soon, and also discovered that although the extended beaver tail of the SP-series CZs are nice, its not a huge difference for me.

The guy also made me fondle a FNP-9, which was neat, and a Sig P226 Elite which was absolutely amazing (which surprised me, since I don't normally like 226s), but a bit out of my price range. It was all for naught though, since I just spent too much money on this:

It was only a bit cheaper than I could get a new 85 for at the shop or from CZ-Custom, but already has new sights installed, resprung, and the CZ-Custom comp hammer, which essentially made it exactly what I wanted. Fairly low round count <1000 and supposedly has a fantastic trigger. This is my first GB gun purchase, here's to hoping it turns out well!

Aside from your 85 being a two tone we have identical guns

Jager
Aug 4, 2003

Eeww!

This is the picture that started it all. I think it belongs to Scope.

Shortly afterwards I bought a CZ-75.

I got a great deal on a new kadet kit for $230 and sent it to Scope to thread. The KN Nill wood grips aren't cheap but they feel and look great. It stayed in this configuration for a number of years until I finally got around to seriously looking into getting a suppressor.

While I waited for my stamp from the ATF I sent my CZ to CZ Custom Shop to convert it to SAO (along with target hammer and trigger) and to clean up the action.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Jager posted:

This is the picture that started it all. I think it belongs to Scope.

Shortly afterwards I bought a CZ-75.

I got a great deal on a new kadet kit for $230 and sent it to Scope to thread. The KN Nill wood grips aren't cheap but they feel and look great. It stayed in this configuration for a number of years until I finally got around to seriously looking into getting a suppressor.

While I waited for my stamp from the ATF I sent my CZ to CZ Custom Shop to convert it to SAO (along with target hammer and trigger) and to clean up the action.

Tell me more about your CZ-Custom experience. Namely, how does the SAO conversion feel for you? Also, where did you get your grips from?

wood grain grippin
May 22, 2006

wood grain sippin

Shadow 4 Lyfe! Get one and you'll never regret it. Eats recoil like crazy.

http://youtu.be/H0e0p-qUr-s?hd=1

Northwest Challenge level 2 match this weekend. Looking forward to it!

Unskilled Labour
Jul 23, 2009

I've tried a friend's Shadow and it is fantastic. Watching that video, is it common to rest your thumb on the safety like that? I found that if I didn't, I would accidentally tap the safety and the gun wouldn't fire, but if I rested my thumb on it, I had no problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

Pre-B with no import marks. I love this gun.

So, did Gunsmith Cats motivate you to buy a CZ-75 or did the gun make you interested in the comic?