Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Ordered a CZ Kadet pistol today. And then proceeded to order a ton of parts to trick it and my TS out. ADVENTURES AHOY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lemme know how you like the Kadet kit. I've been kicking around the idea of picking one up myself.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

OWLS! posted:

Lemme know how you like the Kadet kit. I've been kicking around the idea of picking one up myself.

I don't think I've ever seen any bad reviews of the Kadet kit.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

OWLS! posted:

I've had a few troubles with mine on a PCR. The magazines don't quite seat firmly and this prevents the bolt from locking back after the last round, causing the occasional dry fire if I (or my friend) am not focusing on counting. It also sometimes fails to chamber the first round, so I have to double check the chamber on the first shot.

The magazines must hate my PCR, I don't know. All things considered, I'm pretty happy with it.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 27, 2011

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

DJExile posted:

I don't think I've ever seen any bad reviews of the Kadet kit.

Well, I can give an bad review that involves the Kadet kit.

The guy who owned my cz before me had a trigger job done on in at some local place. Part of the work they did was replacing the hammer spring with a lighter spring. With Herter's in 9mm, the firing pin doesn't strike the round with enough force to set it off. Every other type of ammunition I sent through it went off like a charm, so I previously suspected it was a problem with the ammo.

Sadly, the problem I thought was limited to a particular brand of ammo seems to follow the Kadet kit. Blazer in .22 fails to fire about 20% of the time.

In my eyes, this isn't the fault of the Kadet kit, but rather the trigger job that was done on the gun. On the other hand, I'm really not looking forward to dismantling the gun in order to swap back the hammer spring, and I might have carried on obliviously were it not for the Kadet kit.

tl;dr: The kadet kit made obvious a pre-existing problem that I'm chicken about fixing.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

The smith that I'm about to have my trigger worked over by runs a 17lb mainspring in his. Anything else tended to cause problems.

edit: get the tuning pack here if you're unsure http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/CZ/75%20Series/cID1/mID16/dID91#838

kuffs fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 27, 2011

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Thanks, kuffs. Fortunately I've got my hands on the original spring, I'm just being a big baby about taking the thing all the way apart. I've got visions of myself with a bag of cz spending weeks to try and put it back together. I'll probably try and swap that out this weekend. If I'm really on top of it, I'll post pictures. If I'm really not on top of it, I'll post pictures and ask for help.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

I tried the kadett kit in my Shadow the other day. Worked flawlessly. I shot ~20 shots @ 25meters and everything went where I pointed the gun.

Also pictured is the DPM recoil reduction system.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

GladRagKraken posted:

Thanks, kuffs. Fortunately I've got my hands on the original spring, I'm just being a big baby about taking the thing all the way apart. I've got visions of myself with a bag of cz spending weeks to try and put it back together. I'll probably try and swap that out this weekend. If I'm really on top of it, I'll post pictures. If I'm really not on top of it, I'll post pictures and ask for help.

Don't sweat it, swapping out the mainspring is fairly easy and you don't need to take it down very far to do so. There are a few guides online that should point you in the right direction.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

kuffs posted:

The smith that I'm about to have my trigger worked over by runs a 17lb mainspring in his. Anything else tended to cause problems.

I need to correct myself here. I meant anything *LESS* than 17lb tended to cause problems. Everything up to the stock 20lb should be fine, of course.

Jager
Aug 4, 2003

Eeww!

IuniusBrutus posted:

Tell me more about your CZ-Custom experience. Namely, how does the SAO conversion feel for you? Also, where did you get your grips from?

Sorry about the late reply. I had a great experience with CZ-Custom. They were easy to contact (replied to both phone and email questions promptly), answered my questions quickly, and communicated clearly how long it would take and when it was shipped back to me. They even did a follow up call to make sure I didn't have any problems with the work done. In my opinion the SAO trigger upgrade is wonderful. Now the trigger has a lighter, clean and consistent break. There is hardly any slack in the trigger too. I have shot a lot of various 9mm brands out of it after I had the work done and have had no problems.

GladRagKraken brings up the same experience I had with my Kadet Kit. As part of the work I had done they replaced the standard main spring with a lighter one. When using the Kadet kit, I was having light strikes almost every other cartridge. Before I had the work done, the Kadet kit functioned flawlessly. CZ-Customs gives back all the parts they replace when they ship the handgun back to you so I just reinstalled the stock main spring. That solved the problem and now the kadet kit is working great again. I'm sure that if you were going to have the SAO-conversion done and plan on using a Kadet kit that you could ask CZ-Custom to keep the stock main spring installed. I have not noticed much of a difference in trigger pull between the lighter spring and the stock one.

Removing and installing a different main spring isn't difficult. One person can do it in under half an hour long as you have a screw driver (for the grip screws), hammer&punch, and an appropriate working surface. Two people make the job trivial.

The grip panels are from KN Nill. They aren't cheap but I like the way they feel when shooting and think they look awesome with the stainless steel finish.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.

he knows...

I asked in the newbies thread but thought I'd put it here too:

If I were to buy a cz82 from CDNN Investments, what is the quality I could expect from their "ok" or "good" quality guns, priced at 170 and 190 respectively? Also, since it's C&R do I have to ship it to a FFL anyway?

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

With a C&R you can receive the gun directly, but not through USPS.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

I asked in the newbies thread but thought I'd put it here too:

If I were to buy a cz82 from CDNN Investments, what is the quality I could expect from their "ok" or "good" quality guns, priced at 170 and 190 respectively? Also, since it's C&R do I have to ship it to a FFL anyway?

I responded to part of this in the newbie thread (my "average" CZ82 functions flawlessly and just has some finish wear on the slide), but just so you know, CDNN doesn't ship to C&Rs.

Also, is that true that you can't receive handguns via USPS with a C&R? I know you can't SHIP them, but I know I've gotten plenty of C&R guns in the mail...I think...(Shipped from an FFL01, of course.)

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 28, 2011

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

LifeSizePotato posted:

I responded to part of this in the newbie thread (my "average" CZ82 functions flawlessly and just has some finish wear on the slide), but just so you know, CDNN doesn't ship to C&Rs.

Also, is that true that you can't receive handguns via USPS with a C&R? I know you can't SHIP them, but I know I've gotten plenty of C&R guns in the mail...I think...(Shipped from an FFL01, of course.)

Thanks for the heads up, At $170 I don't mind paying FFL fees because that's a steal and a half as it is for a commie pinko ghettoblaster.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

LifeSizePotato posted:

As a C&R holder, shipping and receiving C&R long-guns through the mail is fine.

You can't participate in either end of a USPS transaction with a handgun unless you are a dealer or manufacturer; applicable law is - 18 U.S.C. 1715.

televiper fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 28, 2011

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Trip Report!

So yeah, replacing the hammer spring, not that big a deal.

You take off the grips, pound out the pin near the lanyard/mainspring plug/bottom of the grip, and then pull the magazine break up and out. I expected there to be more to it. I expected that so much that I didn't think to keep my hand over the lanyard plug, so it and the spring went flying out.

Finding where that flew off to was the hardest part.

Putting it back together is just doing what you did in reverse, but you don't need a hammer and the punch tool. You do need to push the plug in crazy hard to get the magazine break back in, and then even harder to get the pin to slide back in, but that may have been partially because of the really stiff spring I put in.

Havn't been to the range to see if it works, yet. If I'm not on here Tuesday night complaining, I guess it'll have worked.

Gee, now that I know it's that easy, maybe I should get one of those 17lb springs. I had forgotten how stiff the factory spring makes the DA pull.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Installed an LPA rear and FO front on my TS today.

(obligatory grody keyboard shot)

I opted for the bigger fiber optic tube and I think it's gonna be great. I really love how bright the dot is and how well it fills the rear sight aperture.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tactical Sports are awesome, your gun is awesome, you are awesome!

I love how they come with a ton of parts to customize it to your liking, very neat.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

I think you're thinking of the Czechmate

Which comes with all the parts to run it in Limited or Open classes. It's basically the same frame, but the triggerguard has been undercut and the dustcover has been shortened a bit.

I'm thinking about having roughly the same treatments applied to mine. I'd like to get a bit more comfortable high grip, so undercutting sounds good for sure. And I hear that the trimmed dustcover helps with balance, so I'm curious about that. But I'm also going to have the frame checkering milled off too. It's not very fine or very pointy, so they end up feeling like goosebumps which does absolutely nothing when you have sweaty hands.

The TS does come with a couple spare slide catches and an extractor, though.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

http://czcustom.com/cz92babypro-tek.aspx

Not sure how I feel about that.

In other news, my 85 Combat kicks total rear end. It'll probably get a box thread soon, but for those of you who have a 75 of some sort, you needed to put the competition hammer in it like yesterday.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

kuffs posted:

The TS does come with a couple spare slide catches and an extractor, though.

Oh I saw a pic with all the parts the TS comes with and thought they were different size parts for pref etc.. Do the slide catches and stuff break occasionally?

Also I picked up a cz455fs in .22lr today, range trip tomorrow!

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Ran my SP-01 for our steel challenge shoot today. For some reason one of my mags was not holding open on the last shot. Any telltale signs to look for? it works when I was manually pulling the slide, but it will not work %100 of the time with live fire cycling. Took 3rd below a GM and a M and above 3 other M level shooters

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Are you sure you're not riding the slidestop by accident?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

OWLS! posted:

Are you sure you're not riding the slidestop by accident?

yeah, this is what I was thinking. Are you sure it was 1 mag in specific? Take a look a thefollower and look to see if it looks different from the others.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

kuffs posted:

Installed an LPA rear and FO front on my TS today.

(obligatory grody keyboard shot)

I opted for the bigger fiber optic tube and I think it's gonna be great. I really love how bright the dot is and how well it fills the rear sight aperture.

I thought about going with the LPA adjustables, but then I realized that I'd be giving up my slide racker.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Haha, yeah it was a bit tough leaving that behind. I may get ambitious and put some skate tape in the shallows of the serrations.

edit: "LPA adjustables"

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Do we have any particular goon who's the "everyone get a VZ-58" cheerleader?

I still have not had a chance to fire one of these either abroad or at home, but they feel really cool and sleek, and AKish but with the smug assurance of having a better design that nobody else has heard of.

The Afghans apparently can't stand them though.

Unskilled Labour
Jul 23, 2009

I've been looking at getting a CZ 550 American. I'll be using it mostly for target shooting, but want the option of using it for hunting. I'm trying to decide between .308 and 30-06. Any suggestions? I have an Israeli K98 in 7.62 NATO, so I'm leaning towards getting the CZ in .308 for a common-ish calibre and reloading reasons.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Unskilled Labour posted:

I've been looking at getting a CZ 550 American. I'll be using it mostly for target shooting, but want the option of using it for hunting. I'm trying to decide between .308 and 30-06. Any suggestions? I have an Israeli K98 in 7.62 NATO, so I'm leaning towards getting the CZ in .308 for a common-ish calibre and reloading reasons.

What are you hunting?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Do we have any particular goon who's the "everyone get a VZ-58" cheerleader?

Everyone! Get a VZ-58!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Us Canadians love the vz.58s because of their availability in non-restricted status (and shorter restricted models for range fuckery) along with lots of cheapish surplus ammo and a decent amount of mods coming out for them (NEA, etc). They're also easy to keep clean + rinse out the corrosive salts. Plus the striker-fired design is kinda nifty.

I'm not sure if the Afghans not liking them should be a dealbreaker!

Unskilled Labour
Jul 23, 2009

DJExile posted:

What are you hunting?

Feral Goats and Pigs, the biggest animal would be a Sambar Deer, maybe a few times a year, otherwise paper and steel gongs. If I were to go to the Northern Territory for Water Buffalo or scrub bulls, I'd be going with friends who already own CZ Safaris in .375 and .458.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Unskilled Labour posted:

Feral Goats and Pigs, the biggest animal would be a Sambar Deer, maybe a few times a year, otherwise paper and steel gongs. If I were to go to the Northern Territory for Water Buffalo or scrub bulls, I'd be going with friends who already own CZ Safaris in .375 and .458.

If you're choosing between the two you listed earlier, then yeah I'd roll .308 and I would absolutely reload.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

For some reason I've been missing my old rifle, a CZ-452 Lux it was, now I want a CZ again, and this page here managed to make me want a Mannlicher style stock:
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=165&t=108820

I really like the looks of the mannlicher stock and it goes well with these sights, which I definitely want. What are the pros and cons of mannlicher stocks?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I still have not had a chance to fire one of these either abroad or at home, but they feel really cool and sleek, and AKish but with the smug assurance of having a better design that nobody else has heard of.

Gun-hipsterism is a terrible thing.

Seriously, though. The worst thing about my desire for a VZ-58 is that someone (PLR?) linked a Czech website with a bunch of VZ accessories. They were selling 10-packs of 30 round magazines for something like $16 USD. That's $1.60 per magazine. If only magazines weren't one of those things you have to be an FFL and do paperwork to import. Pretty loving huge improvement over the $10-$15 for one magazine you see around here.

edit: And they had 5-round magazines, so I could take it hunting.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

I really like the looks of the mannlicher stock and it goes well with these sights, which I definitely want. What are the pros and cons of mannlicher stocks?

Pro: They look awesome.

Con: uhh... more wood to scratch, so be careful?

Unskilled Labour
Jul 23, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

They are stuuning, but I have the understanding that they aren't freefloated?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

I've seen the 82's polygonal rifling is supposedly superior to standard grooved rifling -- myth? If not why isn't it a more used barrel design?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon

Bigass Moth posted:

I've seen the 82's polygonal rifling is supposedly superior to standard grooved rifling -- myth? If not why isn't it a more used barrel design?

Well I think it's a bit harder to do than hammer-forging or button rifling and therefore more expensive to manufacture (which adds up if you're making tens or hundreds of thousands of guns) and a polygonal-rifled bore does foul much faster with cast lead bullets- IIRC most manufacturers actually say not to use them at all, instead stick with FMJ/JHP only