Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 21, 2002

Miso Beno posted:

9mm. I don't care if you want it for range use or HD. 9mm.

OK. My father-in-law owns a CZ 9mm, I bet if I talk about how much I've been shooting the Ruger .22 I'm borrowing from him he might let me upgrade...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

Miso Beno posted:

9mm. I don't care if you want it for range use or HD. 9mm.

Motherfucker, 9mm. Motherfucker!

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

ShaneB posted:

OK. My father-in-law owns a CZ 9mm, I bet if I talk about how much I've been shooting the Ruger .22 I'm borrowing from him he might let me upgrade...

Even if he doesn't CZ75s are very affordably priced. Honestly, they're one of the best values on the market, and I'm a BHP/Glock man.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

How does an SP01 compare width-wise to a Beretta 92?

I felt up a 92A1 and a CZ-75B side-by-side the other day. I was really surprised by how small and thin the CZ felt in comparison. I love big, thick handguns, so this was not a positive thing.

Is the SP01 thicker, or what? I liked the 75B, but not enough to buy one over a Beretta.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Operating Rod posted:

Is the SP01 thicker, or what? I liked the 75B, but not enough to buy one over a Beretta.

No, only difference in the grip between the 75B and SP01 is the extended beavertail.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

devmd01 posted:

No, only difference in the grip between the 75B and SP01 is the extended beavertail.

Also the slide profile doesn't narrow towards the muzzle, full lengthy rails/dustcover, a rail on the dustcover, larger mag release, longer slide stop, and checkering. I think that is everything, the thickest part shouldn't be any greater than on a normal cz-75b.

Unskilled Labour
Jul 23, 2009

You can get replacement grips for the CZ.

http://www.czub.cz/en/catalog/87-accessories/AC-ST/1091-1146.aspx

If you get a chance, try out both. I personally love the CZ Shadow. It shoots completely differently to the Beretta 90Two that I've tried. Do all Beretta pistols have triggers like that? I think DA was close to 16 pounds and SA had quite a bit of take up. Or have I been spoiled by the Shadow's smooth trigger? (Beretta shotguns on the other hand have fantastic triggers).

What I'm trying to say, is that in my experience, they shoot differently and I'd suggest you try both before you buy.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Unskilled Labour posted:

I think DA was close to 16 pounds and SA had quite a bit of take up.

Yeah, DA is silly without a spring change.

Have to find an SP01 to feel up, maybe I just need to get used to normal-sized guns.

DerangedMoose
Apr 4, 2009

ShaneB posted:

My thinking was shoot it with .22 using the Kadet kit at the range. Probably not the thread to get into what reasons I would have to choose between 9mm and .40, though. I'm not really the kind of person who keeps a pistol in his nightstand or anything, but I figure the forums are as good a place as any to brainstorm.

As an owner of a 75B in .40 I will agree with the others about getting 9mm unless you have a specific reason you need the higher caliber. The main reason behind this is that those guns were designed for 9mm and later adapted to hold .40. There are significantly more parts available for 9mm.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I'm a big fan of the rubber grips on the Shadow, I had been thinking about getting those thin aluminum ones (because they look drat cool) but I think I'll stick with the default. Very comfy!

ShaneB
Oct 21, 2002

DerangedMoose posted:

As an owner of a 75B in .40 I will agree with the others about getting 9mm unless you have a specific reason you need the higher caliber. The main reason behind this is that those guns were designed for 9mm and later adapted to hold .40. There are significantly more parts available for 9mm.

Makes sense. Thanks.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

The 17 round SP01 mags from Mecgear are very very nice, but I was hoping to find some of the 19 round mags. Anyone know where on the web I can find some. Added bonus I will sell my 17 rounders at a steep discount if someone helps me find the 19's!

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Am I dumb for wanting a CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62? From what I've read about the caliber, it's good for killing almost anything on the planet with 4 legs. I guess my only "complaint" is that its stock was made for iron sights.

I could get the AMERICAN in the same caliber for $10 less (msrp). It's made for a scope, but it doesn't have that Mannlicher stock.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Mad Dragon posted:

Am I dumb for wanting a CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62? From what I've read about the caliber, it's good for killing almost anything on the planet with 4 legs. I guess my only "complaint" is that its stock was made for iron sights.

I could get the AMERICAN in the same caliber for $10 less (msrp). It's made for a scope, but it doesn't have that Mannlicher stock.

Leather cheek pads are classy.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

How well do the CZ centerfire rifles do on accuracy? I want a bolt gun that I can do target shooting out to 600 yards with, but can I get respectable results from them? I'll be handloading, and I'd prefer .223/7.62 but if those won't do too well than I will go for a larger centerfire caliber.

And to all Americans with vz.58s or VZ2008s: This has been posted here before, but AIM Surplus still has vz.58 magazines for like $11.50 a pop, and they are seriously in fantastic shape. Buy some.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IuniusBrutus posted:

How well do the CZ centerfire rifles do on accuracy?

Very well.

IuniusBrutus posted:

I want a bolt gun that I can do target shooting out to 600 yards with, but can I get respectable results from them? I'll be handloading, and I'd prefer .223/7.62 but if those won't do too well than I will go for a larger centerfire caliber.

At 600? You might want to ask the long-range shooting thread. The issue for me wouldn't be the rifle itself but more the caliber. 7.62x39 isn't exactly known for long-range shooting, .223 maybe. Overall they're incredibly nice and accurate rifles .

ShaneB
Oct 21, 2002

I have read some good reviews about the accuracy of the .22 Kadet kit, but I always worry about people thinking anything they bought being awesome. Any objective experiences using it?

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

If a Kadet is built anywhere near as well as my 452 is, it's tits. CZ rimfire is ridiculous in general.

I compared a CZ 75B and a Beretta 92 against each other the other day after screwing around with my Mark III and realizing that not all guns are loving titanic like I was thinking the CZ should have been the other day. I still expected a Beretta romp.

The 92FS was not anywhere near as comfortable as I remembered it and I did a totally unexpected 180 on the CZ. I need one of these in my life. It completed me. The only other gun I have ever felt this sure about was my M1.

I think I already know the answer to this, but is there any pressing reason to go for a 75B over an SP01 for a gun that probably won't get carried?

E: I do want to get into IPSC or IDPA when I get my poo poo together but I have my PX4 and a boatload of mags for anything an SP01 wouldn't make weight in.

Kennebago fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 21, 2011

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Operating Rod posted:

If a Kadet is built anywhere near as well as my 452 is, it's tits. CZ rimfire is ridiculous in general.

I compared a CZ 75B and a Beretta 92 against each other the other day after screwing around with my Mark III and realizing that not all guns are loving titanic like I was thinking the CZ should have been the other day. I still expected a Beretta romp.

The 92FS was not anywhere near as comfortable as I remembered it and I did a totally unexpected 180 on the CZ. I need one of these in my life. It completed me.

I think I already know the answer to this, but is there any pressing reason to go for a 75B over an SP01 for a gun that probably won't get carried?

I do want to get into IPSC or IDPA when I get my poo poo together but I have my PX4 and a boatload of mags for anything an SP01 wouldn't make weight in.

As you said, SP01s are a little heavy and IIRC are too heavy for IDPA in stock form. If you're not carrying it, the light rail serves no good. On the other hand, it seems that SP-01 holsters are a bit more common than standard CZ holsters. The SP01 has more of a beaver tail, but its not like CZs are prone to hammer bite anyways, nor is it hard to get a high grip on them.

You can probably get a standard 75 for a good bit cheaper than an SP01 though, and you really aren't losing anything.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

As you said, SP01s are a little heavy and IIRC are too heavy for IDPA in stock form. If you're not carrying it, the light rail serves no good. On the other hand, it seems that SP-01 holsters are a bit more common than standard CZ holsters. The SP01 has more of a beaver tail, but its not like CZs are prone to hammer bite anyways, nor is it hard to get a high grip on them.

You can probably get a standard 75 for a good bit cheaper than an SP01 though, and you really aren't losing anything.

I love beavertails and I was kicking around slapping a TLR-1 on it for a nightstand gun, but other than that I was pretty much thinking the same thing.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Operating Rod posted:

I love beavertails and I was kicking around slapping a TLR-1 on it for a nightstand gun, but other than that I was pretty much thinking the same thing.

If you like the beavertail, the CZ75 SA also has one and is only a little more than a standard B. http://czcustom.com/CZ-75B-SA-PolyCoat-9mm.aspx

If you don't mind spending the extra money, get a CZ85 Combat. I have one with a competition hammer, it's totally loving awesome - they come factory without the firing pin block, which makes it much easier to get a nice trigger. Also, some other fun competition oriented features (drop free magazines, extended magazine release, adjustable sights). It also is still cheaper than a SP01. http://czcustom.com/CZ-85-Combat-PolyCoat-9mm.aspx

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 21, 2011

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

I'm not really sure the beavertail is necessary. My P-01 has the beavertail but the hammer only comes back about 60 degrees or so... I think it'd be pretty hard to pinch your webbing in it.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Miso Beno posted:

Leather cheek pads are classy.

Any brand in particular?

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

I'm not really sure the beavertail is necessary. My P-01 has the beavertail but the hammer only comes back about 60 degrees or so... I think it'd be pretty hard to pinch your webbing in it.

Yeah, unless you have your hands on top of the frame there is no way you could get hammer bite unless your hands were ridiculously fat. Other than the extra weight up front, the only thing that seems like a really nice improvement over the 75b is the extended mag release which you can also get on the SA (it also has the larger safety). I think the only other difference is the checkering, but with the size of the grip and weight of the gun, as long as you have decent grip panels I don't see grip being an issue. You could always get it checkered or put grip tape on it if you feel the need.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

ShaneB posted:

I have read some good reviews about the accuracy of the .22 Kadet kit, but I always worry about people thinking anything they bought being awesome. Any objective experiences using it?

Mine is pretty boss

Seems to shoot pretty drat straight. Having one smithed up like that was basically my replacement for a Model 41. But I haven't shot for groups vs one yet.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

How much did the SAO conversion run you, if you don't mind me asking? I'll be doing it to my sp01 at some point and it'd be nice to have a ballpark to save for. I'm assuming you had Angus do it.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Thursday, new gun day
Czechoslovakian tank
Enjoy, gunsmith dog

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

devmd01 posted:

How much did the SAO conversion run you, if you don't mind me asking? I'll be doing it to my sp01 at some point and it'd be nice to have a ballpark to save for. I'm assuming you had Angus do it.

No, CZC wouldn't return my calls. I had a fellow named Stuart Wong (eerw on the Brian Enos forums) take care of it. $250 for parts, labor, and return shipping. His turnaround time was crazy fast, like a week in total. Labor included taking a range trip during his lunch break to test fire the gun. He put a hundred rounds of different makes through it to test for function and it runs like a champ.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

Hello new used friend!

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

crutt posted:

Hello new used friend!

Beauty.

That's a fair number of mags, too. Did they come with the gun?

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

It came with 4 10 round mags, so I'm guessing the previous owner was from CA. I might try selling them at calguns if I get un-lazy

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

crutt posted:

It came with 4 10 round mags, so I'm guessing the previous owner was from CA. I might try selling them at calguns if I get un-lazy

You could just keep them around for IDPA matches, which specifically limit the total number of rounds in any magazine to ten (you could run a 33-rd mag, as long as don't put more than 10 boolets in it)

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

crutt posted:

Hello new used friend!

There's an NSN for CZ pistols?!

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Otto Skorzeny posted:

There's an NSN for CZ pistols?!

CZ likes to brag about that in their marketing P01 materials, that it's the only NATO certified handgun available to civilians or something.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

SadWhaleFamily posted:

You could just keep them around for IDPA matches, which specifically limit the total number of rounds in any magazine to ten (you could run a 33-rd mag, as long as don't put more than 10 boolets in it)

A 33 rounder wouldn't fit in the IDPA box.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

Naramyth posted:

A 33 rounder wouldn't fit in the IDPA box.

Party pooper.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Proč bychom se netěšili když nám Pán Bůh zdraví dá?

Omega trigger/P-07 question.

I've always wanted a lightweight CZ compact in 9mm with a safety rather than decocker. Ideally I wanted a P-01 but they don't offer it with a safety. I'm pretty sure you can't get a P-01 with an Omega trigger which, unless I misunderstand, would allow one to swap out the decocker for a safety. Does this mean my only option is a P-07? I've never held one. Anyone who has want to offer an opinion?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

Party pooper.

It's the anti-funitus.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Omega trigger/P-07 question.

I've always wanted a lightweight CZ compact in 9mm with a safety rather than decocker. Ideally I wanted a P-01 but they don't offer it with a safety. I'm pretty sure you can't get a P-01 with an Omega trigger which, unless I misunderstand, would allow one to swap out the decocker for a safety. Does this mean my only option is a P-07? I've never held one. Anyone who has want to offer an opinion?

You can get the P-02, which is a P-01 with the omega trigger from this link ->

http://czcustom.com/cz75bp029mmcompactomega.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Well, it looks like I'm not getting my PX4 back any time soon.

So now I'm looking at CZs that I could both carry and shoot IDPA with. I want the heaviest, biggest gun I can still conceal at 6'2, 200, so I'm thinking a straight 75B, 75 SA or 85 Combat.

Which one will wrap carry-ability, shootability and ease of resale together best?