Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Rhandhali posted:

So who wins when it comes to aftermarket hammers? CGW or CZ Custom?

I've dealt with both and CGW actually has GREAT customer service. Go through them. Just having CGW as a resource makes owning a CZ worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

mikerock posted:

Uhhh that stock owns

I may be hosed because I shoot with wierdos using Olympic style stocks that barely look like guns, but that stock looks really nice.

The Exclusive with the ebony schnabel is hot as heck though

I love my funky Royal stock, but it's kind've an acquired taste. It's a bit big and blocky, but it's comfy as hell. The spiral hammered barrel is just dead sexy, though. I dig the hell out of that schnabel.

priznat posted:

Yes I like both those stocks. I am tempted by the spiral barrel, is the bolt done up like that too? Because that looks awesome too.

So tempting, so many options!

The bolt on mine is just a regular bolt, with all the normal CZ clearance problems.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I'd kind of like the 527FS in .223 just to be the twin of my 455FS. I like the irons on that quite a bit and I'd probably shoot the .223 with irons too mostly.

That or the carbine version..

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I'd like to get my smith to change my bolt handle to a spoon style bolt handle

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

mikerock posted:

I'd like to get my smith to change my bolt handle to a spoon style bolt handle

This right here is fantastic idea. How hard/expensive an undertaking would that be, I wonder? It would really be nice to be able to lose the mile-high rings off my 527...

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I was using a med-lux 550 in .270 this weekend and it had med. rings on it, although the bolt handle shape is straighter than your 527.

HundredxNails
Jun 15, 2007
Answering every pregnancy with a Coathanger!

sushibandit posted:

Is discussion of CZ clones/knockoffs permitted in this thread? Didn't see a better place.

If so...

Looking at picking up a Tristar T120 since I saw mentioned in a few places online that you can swap what side the controls are on. Being a southpaw, my interest is piqued. Anyone in here with firsthand experience of one, your opinion on the fit & finish, accuracy, any ammo type preferences, whether or not you can in fact swap control side (unable to find anything about that in a pdf of the owner's manual, which worries me) etc.

If not, please nuke this post and/or tar & feather me.

I have been looking at Canik55's Shark C (the 9mm Compact), mostly because i have a Jericho Boner. If I am not mistaken tristars are just imports of Canik55 with more Ceracoat options. I remember seeing something about using +p ammo a few weeks ago, but that might have been in relation to the ported Shark FC. I can't seem to find it now that I need it, though. But the General consensus that I have read was negative on +p in Non-ported Models, and sparing use on the Ported Models. As to why, I couldn't tell you.

I have heard very glowing reviews on the Canik/Tristars in terms of fit and finish. They are all Ceracoated from the factory which (at least comming from a person new to guns) is pretty neat. But I am not certain that replacement parts are going to be available in an affordable fashion. There was a YouTube guy who put a bunch of CZ parts on to a Shark and the extended Firing Pin for the lighter hammer spring took a little bit of milling for proper fitment. I am also not certain it will take CZ magazines, which bothers me because I have not been able to get ahold of anyone from Canik or Tristar for sources on Magazines.

There is a Gunshow this week at the State Fair Grounds, and if I cannot find a Jericho, Baby Eagle, or CZ in my price range I might buy one of these!

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

They take CZ magazines

getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

What kinda fucked up tour is this?

HundredxNails posted:

I have been looking at Canik55's Shark C (the 9mm Compact), mostly because i have a Jericho Boner. If I am not mistaken tristars are just imports of Canik55 with more Ceracoat options. I remember seeing something about using +p ammo a few weeks ago, but that might have been in relation to the ported Shark FC. I can't seem to find it now that I need it, though. But the General consensus that I have read was negative on +p in Non-ported Models, and sparing use on the Ported Models. As to why, I couldn't tell you.

I have heard very glowing reviews on the Canik/Tristars in terms of fit and finish. They are all Ceracoated from the factory which (at least comming from a person new to guns) is pretty neat. But I am not certain that replacement parts are going to be available in an affordable fashion. There was a YouTube guy who put a bunch of CZ parts on to a Shark and the extended Firing Pin for the lighter hammer spring took a little bit of milling for proper fitment. I am also not certain it will take CZ magazines, which bothers me because I have not been able to get ahold of anyone from Canik or Tristar for sources on Magazines.

There is a Gunshow this week at the State Fair Grounds, and if I cannot find a Jericho, Baby Eagle, or CZ in my price range I might buy one of these!

i love my Shark-FC, and yes they take CZ magazines. they're supplied by MECGAR.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

A Jericho-like that takes CZ magazines?

I miss my Jericho sometimes.

HundredxNails
Jun 15, 2007

getfuct posted:

i love my Shark-FC, and yes they take CZ magazines. they're supplied by MECGAR.

Awesome! Thank you for sharing the news on the Magazine!

getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

HundredxNails posted:

Awesome! Thank you for sharing the news on the Magazine!

i can tell you this:
the trigger pull in DA is atrocious
it can be carried condition 1(alleviates my above gripe)
holsters are a pain in the dick to find, so i'm using a remora series 11-RFT which allows me to carry it iwb with a light on it.
CGW has various parts available for the canik/tristars
it came with 2 17 round mecgar mags and a mag loader

as-is, it's a great value. once i sink some money into some CGW parts i'm sure it'll be even better.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

SadWhaleFamily posted:

I miss my Jericho sometimes.

I miss mine all the time. It's the only gun that I've had serious seller's remorse about.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Calling all VZ 61 owners. Is it possible to drill and tap through the back of the receiver? Any idea how much clearance?

The wire stock does nothing for me, but an AR stock would be perfect.

Moreover, would anyone be willing to measure the back plate? I'd mount a Stormwerkz or ACE AR plate there. For example:

Thanks!

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

no don't

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sig...brace?..

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Listen, it's a stop gap measure. Moreover the wire folder is horrible. I've shot one, it's not fun.

Anyways I'd go with one of these over the brace: http://www.thordsencustoms.com/shop/AR-PISTOL/p/STANDARD-AR-PISTOL-BUILDERS-PACKAGE-x4345533.htm

I have one on my 11.5" AR and it's surprisingly nice.

howling_mad fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 23, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Here have a lovely cell phone pic of my new CZ 550 Lux in 6.5x55

HundredxNails
Jun 15, 2007

getfuct posted:

i can tell you this:
the trigger pull in DA is atrocious
it can be carried condition 1(alleviates my above gripe)
holsters are a pain in the dick to find, so i'm using a remora series 11-RFT which allows me to carry it iwb with a light on it.
CGW has various parts available for the canik/tristars
it came with 2 17 round mecgar mags and a mag loader

as-is, it's a great value. once i sink some money into some CGW parts i'm sure it'll be even better.

Thank you for the tip on Cajun Gunworks! I am leaning hard on the canik if I can't find an Eagle or Cz in my price range! I have $600 burning a hole in my pocket and it yearns for a CZ75!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

mikerock posted:

Here have a lovely cell phone pic of my new CZ 550 Lux in 6.5x55

So hot.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

HundredxNails posted:

Thank you for the tip on Cajun Gunworks! I am leaning hard on the canik if I can't find an Eagle or Cz in my price range! I have $600 burning a hole in my pocket and it yearns for a CZ75!

Props to Dave at CGW, he'll help you even if your gun is stock. He has sent me free parts before, love that guy.

My P-07 was a piece of poo poo for the longest time, and I fixed most of the issues. He helped me get rid of the last one(hammer falling after da fire) as in, no reset. It happened with SA sometimes, as well. That one ended up being the sear spring, yet another loving spring. I replaced like 6 or 7. CZ lol

edit: I shoot a lot, so 1000 rounds for a gun failure is bad. 5000 rounds with 5 GUN failures is very bad, Don't use a P07 as your home defense gun. Anecdotal evidence and all.

edit edit: this is counting after I fixed all of my issues. I had a hundred+ malfunctions in general

z06ck fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 23, 2014

great_heron
Oct 1, 2011

z06ck posted:

Props to Dave at CGW, he'll help you even if your gun is stock. He has sent me free parts before, love that guy.

My P-07 was a piece of poo poo for the longest time, and I fixed most of the issues. He helped me get rid of the last one(hammer falling after da fire) as in, no reset. It happened with SA sometimes, as well. That one ended up being the sear spring, yet another loving spring. I replaced like 6 or 7. CZ lol

edit: I shoot a lot, so 1000 rounds for a gun failure is bad. 5000 rounds with 5 GUN failures is very bad, Don't use a P07 as your home defense gun. Anecdotal evidence and all.

edit edit: this is counting after I fixed all of my issues. I had a hundred+ malfunctions in general

I haven't had issues with mine at all, and it has something like 300+ rounds through it. Then again I have one of the redesigned models that came out beginning of this year, so that may have something to do with it.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Hitmage posted:

I haven't had issues with mine at all, and it has something like 300+ rounds through it. Then again I have one of the redesigned models that came out beginning of this year, so that may have something to do with it.

300 rounds isn't poo poo but if you've had zero in those, then that's ok.

getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

crossposting from the deals thread, cope's just sent this out in an email. Duo tone CZ75 with factory red dot sight.

http://www.copesdistributing.com/dual-tone-wfactory-used-p-8299.html

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Welp I am once again CZless. Godspeed li'l Carbine, thanks for the mortgage payment.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

I need a CZ in x39 and x55

Minlune
Dec 13, 2004

They were good years; a time of bounty. The children grew and the crops flourished. And then the pandas came and took it all away.

Starting to get some nice wear marks on my Shadow.

Finally cleaned it last night after about 1500 rounds of not doing so. Zero failures during that period except light strikes with S&B ammo (gun has a lighter mainspring). Love this gun!

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Calling VZ58/2008 owners.

Any tips for getting the folding stock screw out? Hand strength is no good. I tried heating it up and that didn't seem to loosen it either. I've heard that some have had success drilling through it, not really sure what would be involved there.

Anyone?

Thanks!

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

howling_mad posted:

Calling VZ58/2008 owners.

Any tips for getting the folding stock screw out? Hand strength is no good. I tried heating it up and that didn't seem to loosen it either. I've heard that some have had success drilling through it, not really sure what would be involved there.

Anyone?

Thanks!

I had to sacrifice the screw and basically used a chisel/punch and hammer to just knock it out. May have to chase the threads after getting the screw out too.

They either blued the rifle after they were built, or put some gnarly thread locker on those things.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

E2M2 posted:

I had to sacrifice the screw and basically used a chisel/punch and hammer to just knock it out. May have to chase the threads after getting the screw out too.

They either blued the rifle after they were built, or put some gnarly thread locker on those things.

Say that the muzzle is pointed (or sitting) to the ground, are you saying that you just hammered the crap out of it straight down?

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

howling_mad posted:

Say that the muzzle is pointed (or sitting) to the ground, are you saying that you just hammered the crap out of it straight down?

I think he just said he hammered a screw out. So long glorious threads.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Well that's fine and all, but I'm installing a fixed stock. If I do that I'm fairly certain I'm screwed for that install.

howling_mad fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 27, 2014

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

howling_mad posted:

Have a picture of the offending screw? I've never handled a Vz58 but am usually pretty handy with crap like this.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Have a picture of the offending screw? I've never handled a Vz58 but am usually pretty handy with crap like this.

At 5:10 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLmDSdx_GPY

Apparently most have huge issues with this screw. Might be a gunsmith project sadly

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Wow, that's bigger than I expected. If it were me I'd try something like a chisel, grind it down to fit the slot snug then put some vice grips on the handle of the chisel and try to turn it that way. If that fails try securing the gun in a vice and use a punch, lay the end of the punch in the slot (towards the outside for better leverage) and give it some raps with a hammer. Worse comes to worse drilling the screw should be pretty easy. To do that start with a small hole in the center and gradually make it larger, that will usually loosen a fastener enough to remove if it still has a way to grip it. If it doesn't then perhaps look into some broken bolt extractors like the following: http://www.lowes.com/pd_612573-78681-SPEED01_0__?productId=50217437, they're nice to have around for other things as well.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

howling_mad posted:

No. Use the chisel to start spinning the screw. If that makes sense.

Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CSfWxkLkg0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Thank you both.

No dice. Granted my chisel is questionable and I don't have an appropriate tool to heat it up. I gave it some decent wacks but nothing.

Ugh. Oh well, I look to my buddy to assist. He'll have the right tools to get this done.