Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
The problem with both Square and Enix these days is that they keep putting out poo poo games. Aside from the occasional good game like The World Ends With You.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Lamprey Cannon posted:

A thought: is Barret ever seen to type something or handle something with his gun arm in-game? I can't think of anything off-hand, but it could be a Strong-Bad mystery.
After the first reactor mission, he reaches into his vest and pulls out money to give to Cloud with his gun. The effect is a little unsettling, since the gun clips into his chest.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Renoistic posted:

Dissidia is the worst of the bunch, though. Every single character is an annoying anime stereotype. You just want to reach out and strangle them all. Kefka gets to live thanks to his passable Joker imitation, though. And Ex-Death as well, because his voice is AWESOME.l

What's Dark Knight Garland an anime stereotype of again?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Hey, Elentor, I want to interrupt the present conversation with a quick question.

Some friends of mine were saying they'd really like, some day, to go to Rio and explore the slums and shanty towns. I told them this was probably a bad idea. Would you agree with that and, if so, how bad of an idea would it be?

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

explore the slums and shanty towns.
Why do they want to do this? It just strikes me as an very bad idea, especially if they're foreigners. Also an odd thing to want to do.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Cangelosi posted:

What's Dark Knight Garland an anime stereotype of again?

That one character who always talks about how fighting is the best thing ever plus the anime stereotype who preaches how fate can not be opposed seconds before being punched in the face.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Hey, Elentor, I want to interrupt the present conversation with a quick question.

Some friends of mine were saying they'd really like, some day, to go to Rio and explore the slums and shanty towns. I told them this was probably a bad idea. Would you agree with that and, if so, how bad of an idea would it be?

Just put it into perspective: would they be willing to explore the projects and slums in a city like Detroit or Baltimore? It'd be a similar experience, only they wouldn't know the language and they would look like tourists.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Zaldron posted:

Why do they want to do this? It just strikes me as an very bad idea, especially if they're foreigners. Also an odd thing to want to do.

I have no idea. It just kind of came up out of the blue over dinner, and my first thought was "I should ask Elentor just how stupid this idea really is!"

Dias posted:

Just put it into perspective: would they be willing to explore the projects and slums in a city like Detroit or Baltimore? It'd be a similar experience, only they wouldn't know the language and they would look like tourists.

They might, actually. I'm not always sure how keenly they're aware of how different slums and projects can be from where they've grown up.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

These are upper-middle class white people aren't they?

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Areis's theme is great.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

I prefer Aeris's theme.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

dancingbears posted:

I prefer Aeris's theme.

That one too

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm pretty much echoing Dias' sentiment, but I'll give you a more in-depth answer.

Well, it is true that the slums are carefully crafted to appeal to tourists. As a Brazilian citizen, I really hate that, and your friends would be just helping to perpetuate that trend.

But really... there's nothing to see. What are they looking for? An exciting adventure? Depending on where they go, they are either gonna be horribly bored or they're gonna be horribly robbed. And they're probably not gonna get robbed in the slums, but most likely in somewhere they feel safe and comfortable in. More likely than not they're just gonna end up really bored.

The thing is, people in the slums don't live some sort of mystical life, and I want to make this very, very clear - there's a big business around people like your friends. Even the "bad guys" know that they're worth more as consumers. What is gonna happen is that people will see them for what they are - tourists. They're gonna be outsmarted at every turn. Everything will be overpriced, there will be no huge exciting dangerous adventure, and at the end of the day they're just spending a shitload of money to see how poor people live in a different country. Which kinda boggles my mind.

That's the best (and most likely) case scenario. If they're really looking for thrills, I hope they don't find it. For their own sake.

Bottom-line is, there's a lot of amazing places to see in Brazil. Hell, even in Rio. Even if they hate beaches. If they come visit the country I hope they don't waste these opportunities.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 18, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I can tell you from common sense in Hawaii that it is never a good idea for tourists to go anywhere there are impoverished and likely-angry locals. It can range from "you took a wrong turn and someone throws a big rock at your car and dents it" to "someone stands in front of your car while the others swarm over it because they are really, really angry and really, really disenfranchised." These are just things that happen when white people with money come through poor neighborhoods with non-white people in them. It's the same like when brown people with money come through poor neighborhoods with white people in them. It's just not a fun idea.

So on a scale of 1-10 of "how bad an idea is this d'you think?", I'd say probably "I thought comically low Wisdom scores were only for min/maxing in D&D"

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

"I thought comically low Wisdom scores were only for min/maxing in D&D"

This right here is the best answer.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Elentor posted:

This right here is the best answer.

Yes. Yes it is.

Though thank you for the in-depth, Elentor. I actually had put my money on "they'll be brutally murdered in an alley", so it's surprising to hear that the slums are twisted more as a tourist trap. I'm not sure of any similar areas in America, off the top of my head. I'm also not sure just how serious they were about actually going, I know I wouldn't mind seeing Brazil some day myself, but I'll pass along the word(s) of everyone.

I appreciate everyone having my back on the whole "my friends want to do a stupid thing" front.

Blastoise
Nov 9, 2010

Onward, Sancho!
The idea of slums being made more appealing to tourists is very disconcerting for me. There's nothing glamorous about being poor.

If you really want to see how poor people live, chances are very high you don't even need to leave your own city.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Blastoise posted:

The idea of slums being made more appealing to tourists is very disconcerting for me. There's nothing glamorous about being poor.

If you really want to see how poor people live, chances are very high you don't even need to leave your own city.

Yeah. Compared to my friends, I was poor. I have at least a very dim idea of how truly poor people live, and no real desire to go seek out slums as a result.

Magicpokey
Feb 16, 2011
This might just be the strangest thread derail ive ever seen in a lp, simply because, if you think about it, this talk of stupid tourists and slums isn't really a derailment at all...

My mind...

It is boggled!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Blastoise posted:

I think the point is less about seeing the poor people, and more about how you see yourself: "I am a sensitive, noble person who is aware of the plight of these poor people and humble enough to seek to learn from their authentic wisdom and ways , which are no doubt superior to the stale traditions passed down from my (gently caress you) dad." It also makes for a story that will get you an easy in with chicks who like Sensitive Guys.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Yeah. Compared to my friends, I was poor. I have at least a very dim idea of how truly poor people live, and no real desire to go seek out slums as a result.

It might--based on having worked with magazines for two years--stem from the steady decline, and glamorization of the decline, of Detroit. Detroit as an industrial city, and even in some parts as a CITY, is dying, with chunks in the center turning back into no-poo poo farmland, and magazines and the media by extension love showing both that urban decay and the return into greenery. It's a very beautiful and eerie sort of end-of-the-world feeling, especially when you consider that fifty years ago it was the beating heart of Industrial America.

But, of course, that's a world apart from the Slums of Rio, which are so legendary even this pasty white boy has known about them since he was a teenager. But it's tough to make that kind of distinction without having lived there, or at least near there.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Blastoise posted:

For some people it's exotic/adventurous tourism. For other rich people, well there's gentrification of poor neighbourhoods. Why visit a poor neighbourhood when you can live like them!

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 18, 2011

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Elentor, it's very possible that I might study abroad in Brazil (or Spain). What are some words I should keep in mind so that I know someone is talking poo poo about me in Portuguese?

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Blastoise posted:

Yeah, much less your own country. Unless you are in one of those nations that has their poo poo together with a gini lower than .3.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Level Slide posted:

Elentor, it's very possible that I might study abroad in Brazil (or Spain). What are some words I should keep in mind so that I know someone is talking poo poo about me in Portuguese?

Otário (oh-tahreeoh) comes to mind. It's something like gullible/idiot. Also Babaca (bah-bah-kah), which is like rear end in a top hat/douchebag/Ted Mosby. Lesado (Leh-Zahdoh) is Brain Damaged.

Just remembers, vowels only make one sound. A in English can sometimes be "Ay", but it's just Ah in Portuguese.

There are so many words, I doubt I can list all of them here and have you remember them.

Paracelsus posted:

I think the point is less about seeing the poor people, and more about how you see yourself: "I am a sensitive, noble person who is aware of the plight of these poor people and humble enough to seek to learn from their authentic wisdom and ways , which are no doubt superior to the stale traditions passed down from my (gently caress you) dad." It also makes for a story that will get you an easy in with chicks who like Sensitive Guys.

Uhhhhhh no, not really. The people who visit are pretty open in their enthusiasm to see poor people because they think it's either amusing or exciting. There's nothing sensitive in it. I see your point of view but it's the exact opposite of what happens.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 19, 2011

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Is this thread dead :(?

You can't give up now! There ain't no gettin' off of this train we on!

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Some people see the lack of updates as just a lack of updates.

I see it as a shiny golden wire of hope (that the next update will be awesome).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's been a week since Elentor posted. Calm the gently caress down.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
That reminds me, what's the status on the FF7F LP?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
This is a bit off-topic, but I swear I heard some of North Corel's theme in Bjork's new single, Mutual Core, off of Biophilia.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
Let's Play Final Fantasy 7, Famicom Edition

Part 6: Geographical improbabilities

Well, at least that's done with. We're on our way down to Costa Del Sol.

Rather than the sunny tourist location of the original game, the new Costa Del Sol is pretty sparsely populated. Interestingly enough, though...

There are NPCs with dialogue inside the various shops and inns. It's all just stuff that the various beachgoers and barflies say. No actual beachgoers here, though, and that means no Hojo.

Rufus and Heidegger still get their little lovers' spat, though.

Upon entering and leaving...

Traveling west brings us to North Corel. No climbing Mt. Corel, so no roller-coaster minigames, no reactor, and no random nest of birds. Again, the game outdoes itself in terms of slumminess. The odd thing is that even though all the houses have doors, which has been up to this point a sign that you can go into places, none of them are accessible. One or two NPCs float around town and blame Barrett. One neat thing is that all important plot dialogue runs regardless of whether or not the character is in your party, which means you get all plot related dialogue without having to actually bring along characters that you don't use.

When I played through FFVII, I never picked up Yuffie, so her absence is not felt by me as a huge loss. This question triggers a flashback to Barrett's younger days.

Whatever it is, I'm against it!

Sadly, we never get a good enough view of Barrett to conclude that he does not have a gun for an arm. As far as we know, he was born that way. Given that this game features robotic houses, when all the enemies in the game are supposedly the result of Mako exposure, leads me to believe that being born with a gun hand is neither unreasonable nor particularly rare.

Taking the shuttle to the Gold saucer presents us with absolutely nothing of interest. There are no games, no chocobo races, no rides, no minigames with exploding alien ships, or halloween-themed hotels. It's a little boring.

Young actors sharing a tender moment on the stage. It's worth noting that traveling north and then south again will not necessarily take you to the same room in the Gold Saucer.

In what is ostensibly Dio's office, we encounter Cait Sith. What're we lookin' so down for indeed. It looks like Cait Sith is a black blob riding on top of a Viking's (the actual class from FFIII) head. No, it doesn't really look like a Moogle, no.

Dio's really not used to rejection from young men. I suspect this is why he frames Cloud and the rest of the party. Perhaps his idea is that Cloud will respond to his advances if it'll get him out of prison.

The fact that Dyne is the one who killed these soldiers makes even less sense than it does in the original game, for one very important reason, which I'll bring up at the end.

Barrett killed Sephiroth! The game is over! We no not really, although I can't think of any other NPCs that use the same sprite as Sephiroth. Oh well.

So,Cait Sith is in our party now. He comes equipped with the Dark Materia, not to be confused with the Black Materia, and comes with one of the highest magical attack levels in the game. Cait Sith is, at this point, the strongest caster in the entire party. You might actually want to use Cait Sith while playing this game. That's enough of a difference for me.

Furthermore, Cait Sith's battle sprite? :toot:

Why yes, Mister Coates. We would love to go up. FF7F streamlines the process by which you get out of the Corel Prisonope.

Just so you know.

Again with the non-flashbacks. Barrett fails English class for his tell, don't show, policy.

The desert is a little smaller than it used to be. No cars, no giant worms, no mysterious chocobo wagon.

Just a Dyne.

Dyne makes anime scary. Imagine for just a second, a person that had eyes as large as their open mouths, with pupils only taking up a tiny fraction of that massive white space.

He's a little less frightening as a battle sprite. I guess he opted for the shield arm after the one store that sold arm-gun ammunition went out of business. Seriously, who stocks all the ammo that Barrett fires?

This is too silly to take seriously. This is all too silly. The deadpan expressions of Cloud and Barrett's sprites, coupled with the gentle upside-down falling of Dyne's body. It reads like a parody of RPG dialogue, like Willy Wonka's "No. Stop. Don't".

Presumably at some point we get our hands on Dyne's jewelry, which we take back to the elevator. This brings us to the end of our journey in the desert, and leaves us free to move onto bigger and better things.

Next Time: Entering a car does not, at any point, require standing on top of it

Also, I mentioned that there was something wonky that made Dyne's murder of the security guards even more goofy than before? There is a small geographical problem with the Gold Saucer and the Corel Prison.

From the world map,

Considering that these two places are supposed to be right on top of each other, this means that Dyne was not only free to leave the Corel Prison and get into the Gold Saucer, but apparently free to leave the region entirely, and go essentially anywhere else on the continent. It doesn't bear too much thinking about, but I just found it funny that when I left the Corel Prison I had to travel such a ways to get back to the Gold Saucer.

Of course, at this point, I'm up to Elentor with respect to point in the plot. I regret to say that after a certain point, there is going to be a long hiatus, owing to the fact that there are some very large gaps in FF7F. Rest assured, we'll get through the whole thing together.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Lamprey Cannon posted:

GOLD SAUCER! I HAVE RETURNED!

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
On that same note...

Lamprey Cannon posted:

This hand gun-arm of mine is burning red! It's loud roar tells me to grasp victory! i think

Lamprey Cannon posted:

And this guy is Olba Frost.

The_Great_Danish
Mar 26, 2010

Sable Stormfront posted:

This hand gun-arm of mine is burning red! It's loud roar tells me to grasp victory! i think

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I'm kind of amazed they made a Cait Sith portrait and didn't just use Katz.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Whizbang posted:

I'm kind of amazed they made a Cait Sith portrait and didn't just use Katz.

Man, Cait Sith is bad, but he's not THAT bad. Cut the puppet some slack.

Also, Domon Dyne. :stare:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

S-Alpha posted:

Man, Cait Sith is bad, but he's not THAT bad. Cut the puppet some slack.

Also, Domon Dyne. :stare:

Domon Dyne may be among the weirdest yet, frankly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

These SRW portraits are just an added bonus for anime fans to giggle at, aren't they? Because I don't even watch much mecha stuff and I'm getting a chuckle at Dynemon.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've just been too drat busy. If you wanna know what I've been up to, it's been this:

- A program to automatically generate cubemap starfields based on a weighted distribution of Perlin Noise.

To help me with the development of this space game:

Because it's gonna take less time for me to write that than to manually paint the tens of thousands of stars for every cubemap that are gonna be horribly seamed.

On the FF7F LP:

You can't blame them for spacing out Corel Prison from Gold Saucer. How else were they going to convey the existing impossibilities in the game?

Seems like Corel is forever destined to bend space-time to its will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Now you just need the skybox to fade to black when you're looking at the (or a) sun to reduce the number of visible stars. :v:

• Locked thread