Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sled
May 20, 2004

Musashi not only wields a sword but also a pair of pistols.
My favorite Mikasa image. Spoilers.

http://i.imgur.com/2XZk0.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Misaka's vague resemblance to Alita combined with the fact that I recently reread Berserk means that I'm going to go reread BAA (again). Misaka actually acts kind of like a much more mature Alita.

I've actually been surprised by a lot of things while reading this. I hope it continues to do surprising things and not fall back onto boring patterns.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This is kind of unspeakably good. It's like if Berserk and FMA and loving Evangelion had a lovechild.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
As cool as Mikasa is it is pretty funny that her superhuman skill is implied to come from being the last half-Japanese person on Earth. :v:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sindai posted:

As cool as Mikasa is it is pretty funny that her superhuman skill is implied to come from being the last half-Japanese person on Earth. :v:
It is? I thought she was just really strong. I know that they said she was Oriental (I think that's what they said?) but I didn't notice that being tied to the source of her strength.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Elysiume posted:

It is? I thought she was just really strong. I know that they said she was Oriental (I think that's what they said?) but I didn't notice that being tied to the source of her strength.

I didn't think it was either. The source of her strength is implied to be the fact that she considers herself dead, and is living solely to protect Eren. She's not afraid to die at all, whereas everyone else is understandably loving terrified.

Also, I love the detail the mangaka puts in to eyes on some of the older characters. There's a lot of lines around their eyes which really adds to their age. One nice bit of detail in otherwise noticably sketchy art.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

tsob posted:

I didn't think it was either. The source of her strength is implied to be the fact that she considers herself dead, and is living solely to protect Eren. She's not afraid to die at all, whereas everyone else is understandably loving terrified.

Also, I love the detail the mangaka puts in to eyes on some of the older characters. There's a lot of lines around their eyes which really adds to their age. One nice bit of detail in otherwise noticably sketchy art.
That ties into how dead her eyes look! This doesn't seem very spoilery; I cropped all of the significant text from Sledeau's link:

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

tsob posted:

Really? From chapters 5-6, I thought she was strong since Eren's father was conducting experiments on her. After all, she did murder a guy by stabbing him once in the heart from behind.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pigasus posted:

Really? From chapters 5-6, I thought she was strong since Eren's father was conducting experiments on her. After all, she did murder a guy by stabbing him once in the heart from behind.

Good point, hadn't twigged that at all.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I thought it was just because she was kind of badass? Not everything has to have a crazy explanation guys. Sometimes a girl is just a badass :mad:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Zorak posted:

I thought it was just because she was kind of badass? Not everything has to have a crazy explanation guys. Sometimes a girl is just a badass :mad:
Yeah, I thought she was just awesome. So...why exactly was the doctor visiting the family? I forgot.

For a newer manga like this, what are the rules for spoiler tags? Just do them for a while until the thread is reasonably long, then fall back to standard operating procedure?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Elysiume posted:

Yeah, I thought she was just awesome. So...why exactly was the doctor visiting the family? I forgot.

For a newer manga like this, what are the rules for spoiler tags? Just do them for a while until the thread is reasonably long, then fall back to standard operating procedure?

Let's just keep it up until a few pages in since some people are just starting and trying to gauge impressions, I'm sure.

I figured he was just, you know... being a doctor. They already established in chapter 1 that his father is a famous doctor who does medical work for a lot of families and helps them. He was "taking the boat" since his medical treatment was actually used further into the city (aka the more ritzier parts I take it).

Also, I must say, the revelation from the commander about the truth of the attempt to "counterattack" the giants and the 50% loss was perhaps the most :stare: of all, even if it was realistic as hell.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zorak posted:

Well she does note that immediately after realizing how vicious life really is her body appeared to gain perfect control of all it's actions. That sounds a bit unnatural. I put it down to throwing away her life to save Eren's and considering herself dead, but it's probably more reasonable to assume Eren's papa was experimenting on her too.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Zorak posted:

Let's just keep it up until a few pages in since some people are just starting and trying to gauge impressions, I'm sure.

I figured he was just, you know... being a doctor. They already established in chapter 1 that his father is a famous doctor who does medical work for a lot of families and helps them. He was "taking the boat" since his medical treatment was actually used further into the city (aka the more ritzier parts I take it).

Also, I must say, the revelation from the commander about the truth of the attempt to "counterattack" the giants and the 50% loss was perhaps the most :stare: of all, even if it was realistic as hell.
I'm just all :tinfoil: now because of whatever he was doing to Eren. He would have had much less control over doing experiments on other people as opposed to his child. Misaka was apparently at least fairly unique due to her heritage, and with his above average mobility and history of insidious experiments, I assumed he was doing something sinister. He probably was just been doing doctor things, though.

I really enjoy the world building both in and out of the actual story. If there's an important detail that wouldn't fit nicely in the story, it goes at the end of the chapter instead of getting shoehorned somewhere awkward.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Considering this page (Chapter 6 spoilers!), I'm pretty sure Eren's father was conducting experiments on her. The last panel took the whole bottom of a page for a reason. Also, he's been visiting her often since she was a young girl.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY
So, I guess we can logically assume at this point that the big titan that keeps busting the walls open is, like Eren, human? Or, at the very least, whatever kind of human/titan hybrid that Eren is himself? He attacks cannons, destroys gates, and got himself the hell out of harm's way just as Eren was about to split the nape of his neck open.

I wonder if it's Eren's dad.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It took a while but it finally clicked and I remembered this Ideon/Eva picture. It was bugging me ever since I saw the really big giant.

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=13230689

Guyver fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 2, 2011

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
:aaaaa: + :stare: + :black101: Sums this manga up pretty nicely so far, holy hell. Thanks for the thread, going to be watching for releases of this like a hawk now.

I'm kindof curious why his Giant doesn't regenerate but instead he does; we haven't seen him regenerate except for while he was in his Giant form though.

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

I guess it'd be interesting if all the titans ended up having humans inside them.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I've just read this in the entirety of the chapters scanlated so far and I must say, this is an amazing story! The story is so engrossing, detailed enough to be fulfilling, fast-paced enough such that it never drags, always leaving more tantalizing details unfilled so that there's more to look forward to. Though I cannot shake the lasting feeling of doom that pervades the story -- the scene where most of Eren's team, who had seemed to be set up to be "The Team", were slaughtered wholesale, was pretty horrifying -- the moments where they win always come back to give us a little hope.

I want to echo the comments about Mikasa resembling Alita. She's a dead-eyed rappelling Alita! They resemble each other in their acrobatic fighting styles used against opponents many times their size, and the fact that they both use dual blades. Awesome and spectacular.

What I most look forward to is, someday, seeing Mikasa riding to battle on the shoulders of Eren the Giant. That would just about make my day. :swoon:

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Woah, nice find, this is awesome. Really enjoying the characters not being useless pussies, though I feared for a moment when Eren died that useless blonde kid would become the protaginist. But he ended up alright.

Sled
May 20, 2004

Musashi not only wields a sword but also a pair of pistols.

ArchDemon posted:

I guess it'd be interesting if all the titans ended up having humans inside them.

They seem to be heavily implying this. I'll be pleasantly surprised if that's not the case and the author manages to throw another mystery our way.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Finished reading up to the latest chapter and drat this is quite a cliffhanger. I was hoping they'd go straight to the basement to figure out exactly what his dad did to him but it seems like it's gonna be awhile before that happens.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Mo_Steel posted:

I'm kindof curious why his Giant doesn't regenerate but instead he does; we haven't seen him regenerate except for while he was in his Giant form though.
His titan was regenerating the first time he was in it. He blew his fingers off when he punched the head off of another titan and his digits grew back from little nubs.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Thinking about it in a slightly abstract sense, this series isn't too different from a giant robot series. Replace 'the titans took over the earth and humanity was forced into one last safe zone with walls. suddenly they break the walls but one kid can become a titan' with 'aliens took over the galaxy and humanity was forced to hide at earth. suddenly the aliens find earth and break through the outer defenses but one kid can use the alien weaponry'. Hell, it even does the standard giant robot series trope of the protagonist's father secretly being a researcher into the enemy technology.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

ArchDemon posted:

The problem with this is you see the soldiers cutting off the back of the titans' necks, and they just look like chunks of flesh. When Armin cuts into Titan Eren to retrieve Eren you can still see his body inside. Of course, given Eren's fused state it's possible that initially there are humans inside titans, but they get absorbed quickly into them.

What else is interesting is that Eren's dream state when he's a titan. If there is a human core in each titan, this would account for their low intelligence: they view the world through the lens of their dream and can't actually see what's really happening.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I want to like the idea of this but the art is just soo bad

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Scoobi posted:

I want to like the idea of this but the art is just soo bad

I wish you could still reply with "what" without being banned.

Anyhow, this manga is really interesting, which guarantees it will either be cancelled early or never be fully translated.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

FallenGod posted:

Anyhow, this manga is really interesting, which guarantees it will either be cancelled early or never be fully translated.

It's apparently a best-seller in Japan, so all we've really got to worry about is nobody translating it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Cake Attack posted:

It's apparently a best-seller in Japan, so all we've really got to worry about is nobody translating it.

Your forgetting the third possibility, its too popular for its own good and the author is forced to extend the story well after it should have ended.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 2, 2011

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

ArchDemon posted:

They all do. In their stomachs :haw:

I just started reading this manga yesterday and am all caught up. What a good read! The gas tank think is pretty funky and watching them parkour through the city is fun.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

ArchDemon posted:

That would explain why the nape of the neck, where Eren's real body seems to be, is their weak point. Kill the human kill the Titan. Also if the Titan's are essentially mechs made of flesh it'd explain the lack of sexual organs.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
This is pretty god drat awesome, thanks for the recommendation Zorak.

Titan Eren putting up his dukes was loving amazing

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Your forgetting the third possibility, its too popular for its own good and the author is forced to extend the story well after it should have ended.

It had occurred to me, I'd just rather not think about it. Is there anybody familiar enough with the manga industry to know how often this happens? The only really popular monthly shonen that comes to mind is Fullmetal Alchemist, and they seemed to let that end gracefully. Then again, FMA had already been running for a long time when it ended, and there's no guarantee the author of this intends for the story to be that long.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

FallenGod posted:

Am I the only one disappointed in it?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Scoobi posted:

Am I the only one disappointed in it?

Did you actually read the manga or are you basing it on the OP? I think the first few colorized pages look so bad is because they had a bad colorist. Its the only explanation I can come up with for why they look so terrible

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 3, 2011

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Did you actually read the manga or are you basing it on the OP? I think the first few colorized pages look so bad is because they had a bad colorist. Its the only explanation I can come up with for why they look so terrible

It looks like a doujin half the time. Often the action will distract from the actual drawings, but it is definitely mostly made up of that rough organic style many authors have when they start out, only to be streamlined into something more consistent but also less "personal". In ten volumes Shingeki no Kyojin will probably look quite a bit like a cross between FMA and a less-inky Bleach.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I think the sometimes shaky art kind of adds to the immersion of the action scenes, and helps me really feel just how zooooom they're going, especially the wacky perspective we get in the panels where people are blasting around on their ziplines, and we're somewhere up in the air at an odd angle with their spent gas trails spiraling past us.
There have been a couple places where I had a moment of difficulty telling exactly who was doing what and which way they were going, but it's usually pretty clear when everyone touches down on the roof or their severed legs hit the dirt on the next page.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

drat, this is genuinely fantastic. I don't even give a poo poo about the art, it's perfectly acceptable as is and it's only going to get better. Unless they make the giants less creepy once they tidy it up, of course.

I'm looking forward to finding out how the sixty metre tall titan can move so fast and so quietly, that it can appear and disappear next to a heavily guarded wall without anyone noticing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah, just to put this in perspective:

http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201105310242.html

It's already sold 4.5 million tankobon copies. In what's basically a year and a half. :stare: Not too many new series manage that these days!

Anyway, enjoying this so far even if a few plot points are a bit predictable; they're at least predictable in a good way, in the "gently caress yes I want that to happen because it'd own" way. Also for any theoretical English release I think Mikasa might need to be slightly renamed, if only to prevent any sniggering from people who might know a bit of Spanish :v: