Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Sjs00 posted:

Watching the latest episodes I started wondering why Marley didn't have more anti air units and tactics ready. Reiner had been part of the Paradis Island Scouts for a long time he knew the tactics they would likely bring.
Just arrogance?

Remember that the event was a trap to both lure Paradis in, and to have them eliminate the top Marleyan brass for the sake of Willy's planned restructuring.

Magath sneaked the artillery pieces in on the pretext of ceremonially firing them at the end of the event, and had additional units nearby fully combat-ready doing "training exercises", but any further direct strengthening of the Internment Zone would've likely risked alerting their targets.

Furthermore, the Scouts' attack was as daring as it was effective - almost successfully disabling all the Warriors from the outset through infiltrators, committing both their own titans into the operation, and showcasing new technologies between the semiautomatic anti-personal maneuver gear and access to an operational airship. It's entirely fair that they managed to blindside Magath's preparations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finished all the available manga last week but now watching this episode, Eren and Zeke are in the same room together in the airship, why don’t they activate the coordinate and do their plan now? What’s the reason for waiting?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Well at the moment Eren is tied up and Zeke has no arms. Before that I’m guessing Eren didn’t want to get stamped and postponed

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Also, the people Eren wants to save are on the wrong side of the wall right now.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
Eren's also a slave to his visions of the future and doesn't think he can or outright can't change the course of actions he's on.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sjs00 posted:

They also didn't account for Zeke to play both sides but of course. The fight was really one sided Galliard and Pieck both deserve MVP honestly.

Pieck gets MVP, as expected.

Galliard messed up big time by leaving his position, letting Eren get the Warhammer.

As for Eren, activating things right now would mean kicking things off surrounded by people who could interrupt him, and runs the risk of wrecking the airship. Best to wait until he's on solid ground.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Ok so I decided Im going to rewatch the entire series. Its S1E3, and everyone is in the training camp for the scouts just after the walls fell. Jean and Eren had their first encounter, where Jean showed he had the hots for Mikasa. But shortly after, he wipes his hand on Connie's back. in the anime he says "just building trust", but in the manga I think the translation is "Im getting rid of my trust". Is this just a teen crush ruined?

Id link the direct anime page but all my sources died.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

IIRC Zeke needs to be in titan form for Eren to use the coordinate, so it's a no-go until Zeke can transform.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Animating these chapters makes it look a little silly that Gabi and Falco were able to catch up to an airship in full retreat, on foot. And that dude’s gear should’ve kept him hung in the air, not fall to the ground with enough slack for the crazy kids to have time to work everything out and choose to go for it.

but y’know, nitpicking

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

bees x1000 posted:

Animating these chapters makes it look a little silly that Gabi and Falco were able to catch up to an airship in full retreat, on foot. And that dude’s gear should’ve kept him hung in the air, not fall to the ground with enough slack for the crazy kids to have time to work everything out and choose to go for it.

but y’know, nitpicking

They don't do all that sprinting with gear on for nothing.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

bees x1000 posted:

but y’know, nitpicking

Its the 1910s, they dont have OSHA, the 3d gear could have failed for any sort of reasons. Hell when shot, Lobov's fingers may have tensed and hit the release trigger. Dont think about it. And how fast can the Hindenburg fly when its over an urban landscape with low vis from all the smoke?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

It’s intentionally hovering to recover the scouts, op.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Rereading since the Marley arc, there was a pretty good fake out when Gabi almost gets stabbed by Kaya and Mikasa saves her (Gabi asks why and Mikasa says no reason in particular) then later that same chapter Eren explains that Mikasa would always be “programmed” to protect him as an Ackerman... which made me think maybe there’s some instinct to protect Gabi as the future founding titan since we know paths connect with the future. So Gabi must inherit the founder, right?

But then during the rumbling it’s revealed by flashback with Zeke that Ackermans keep their free will and Eren was just trying to chase Old Yeller away when he was being lovely to Mikasa and Armin. I choose to think it was a knowing fake-out by the author though. Still think Falco ends up eating Eren for the obvious reasons I mentioned in the anime thread.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 1, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

yronic heroism posted:

Rereading since the Marley arc, there was a pretty good fake out when Gabi almost gets stabbed by Kaya and Mikasa saves her (Gabi asks why and Mikasa says no reason in particular) then later that same chapter Eren explains that Mikasa would always be “programmed” to protect him as an Ackerman... which made me think maybe there’s some instinct to protect Gabi as the future founding titan since we know paths connect with the future. So Gabi must inherit the founder, right?

But then during the rumbling it’s revealed by flashback with Zeke that Ackermans keep their free will and Eren was just trying to chase Old Yeller away when he was being lovely to Mikasa and Armin. I choose to think it was a knowing fake-out though. Still think Falco ends up eating Eren for the obvious reasons I mentioned in the anime thread.

I believe the technical term is "white fanging"

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

christmas boots posted:

I believe the technical term is "white fanging"

I’m enough of a dumb nerd my first frame of reference is Nymeria from Game of Thrones.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

We have three chapters left, if we're going to get any resolution whatsoever I seriously doubt the Founder is going to change hands again.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
All Titans will be destroyed forever by the end of this

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

He freed Ymir, yeah I don't think there will be more Titans.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Peace has returned to the people. And from this point on in history, weapons called titans including the nine were never seen again.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
3 chapters seems so little to wrap things up

But the author haven't disappointed me yet, I trust he will do a good job

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

3 chapters seems so little to wrap things up

But the author haven't disappointed me yet, I trust he will do a good job

Three chapters got us from Eren getting his head blown off to the Rumbling. I think it's enough time. (Especially with this last chapter feeling like a time filler to get to 139. You don't do that unless you're pretty sure you can seal the deal)

I've seen manga finish well in even less time, and I'm pretty sure Isayama can get more pages if he needs them. I'm a little nervous about the ending, but it's just general "Endings are hard" stuff, rather than not thinking that the story can be wrapped in the time available.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Still wondering if Warhammer remote control twist is ever going to come into play again, or maybe we're already past that point with Ymir using All The Powers Ever

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
there is very little chance Eren is in the nape unless he for real actually wants to die. One more Warhammer twist is due I'd say

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I guess no one needs to eat Eren to end up with his memories depending on how things shake out with Ymir, but I think Falco gets them somehow. The shot of him looking up at the sky during the Fort battle is I think the only thing Eren/Grisha/past hosts weren’t personally around to see that showed up in one of Eren’s memory panels.

But it does help that the Jaw is the one thing that can bite through the WH bearer’s crystal.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Family Circus dotted path but it's Eren's warhammer tether following the sterilization of the planet

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

yronic heroism posted:

I guess no one needs to eat Eren to end up with his memories depending on how things shake out with Ymir, but I think Falco gets them somehow. The shot of him looking up at the sky during the Fort battle is I think the only thing Eren/Grisha/past hosts weren’t personally around to see that showed up in one of Eren’s memory panels.

But it does help that the Jaw is the one thing that can bite through the WH bearer’s crystal.

Maybe Eren eats Falco :ohdear:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Remember that perspective matters and Isayama has been consistent here. The shot is something (a bird) looking down on Falco. That's not Falco's memories.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

yronic heroism posted:

bees x1000 posted:

Remember that perspective matters and Isayama has been consistent here. The shot is something (a bird) looking down on Falco. That's not Falco's memories.

There's also the Bertholdt one that is apparently from Dina's point of view - and Dina never held a titan power.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Paths magic.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Remember that the event was a trap to both lure Paradis in, and to have them eliminate the top Marleyan brass for the sake of Willy's planned restructuring.

Magath sneaked the artillery pieces in on the pretext of ceremonially firing them at the end of the event, and had additional units nearby fully combat-ready doing "training exercises", but any further direct strengthening of the Internment Zone would've likely risked alerting their targets.

Furthermore, the Scouts' attack was as daring as it was effective - almost successfully disabling all the Warriors from the outset through infiltrators, committing both their own titans into the operation, and showcasing new technologies between the semiautomatic anti-personal maneuver gear and access to an operational airship. It's entirely fair that they managed to blindside Magath's preparations.

Heck, when you put it like that, Marley seemed almost negligent. If they knew something could possibly go down on stage, then they should be running all their counterintel agents full bore to get eyes on any possible attackers. Just get knowledge of enemy capabilities. Because while there are times to trigger enemy traps and respond to that, what they walked into was a full scale catastrophe. Sure they could now count on world-wide backup, but Marley is now in a weaker position than ever with their day 1 losses.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Paths magic.

Heck, when you put it like that, Marley seemed almost negligent. If they knew something could possibly go down on stage, then they should be running all their counterintel agents full bore to get eyes on any possible attackers. Just get knowledge of enemy capabilities. Because while there are times to trigger enemy traps and respond to that, what they walked into was a full scale catastrophe. Sure they could now count on world-wide backup, but Marley is now in a weaker position than ever with their day 1 losses.

Most of Marley's brass is incompetents who've been coasting on the power of the Titans for decades. Most of the remainder (Zeke, Willy, Magath) consists of people actively plotting to murder the aforementioned incompetents, and taking out Eren early would prevent him from fulfilling the very useful role of a cleaner.

The problem is that the isolated island nation with no friends turned out to be flipping the soldiers sent there rather than just killing them, and the most trustworthy and loyal member of the Warrior unit turned out to be a traitor.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm really pissed that I simply Google'd "Attack on Titan" and the top result was (ending AoT spoilers?) Does Eren really die? I hope that's "spoilers" for that fakeout in Season 1 and not the ending of the series, because I hate spoilers.

Posted this in the manga thread since the manga is already over.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Manga isn’t over so Erens death is yet undecided!

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm really pissed that I simply Google'd "Attack on Titan" and the top result was (ending AoT spoilers?) Does Eren really die? I hope that's "spoilers" for that fakeout in Season 1 and not the ending of the series, because I hate spoilers.

Posted this in the manga thread since the manga is already over.

There's still a few months of the manga left and as far as we know Eren isn't dead yet

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

How can it be the final season if the manga isn't finished?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

punk rebel ecks posted:

How can it be the final season if the manga isn't finished?

The manga finishes in April

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

MechaX posted:

The manga finishes in April

So the anime finishes the same time as the manga?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

So the anime finishes the same time as the manga?

The anime won't finish in the current schedule, surely there will be a hiatus, and after some months there will make a 'final season, second part' season. They did the same with season 3.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 2, 2021

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Season 4 is almost certainly going to be two cours, probably with a break in between. The break between cours in season 3 was several months, so who knows when the anime will actually finish. There's also folks who think there will be a movie to finish things off.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'd be down with an End of Titanelion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Tfw the manga and anime have divergent endings, splintering the fandom over which is better until the end of time.