Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Gyges posted:

Man, Reiner has the weakest last name of all the human titans. Jaegar can mean a hunter, a type of soldier in some militaries, or a type of bird that harasses other birds to steal their prey; Leonhardt looks like Lionheart; Fubar is pretty descriptive of Titan transformation and what they do to people; and then Braun means brown.

That's only because he has a really bad-rear end first name.
Reiner (or Rainer) comes from the Old High German ragin heri - "councillor of armies".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Get your own Recon Corps jackets here - http://www.amiami.jp/top/detail/detail?gcode=CGD2-53941

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Those look pretty weird without the harness.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

If only it wasn't so low quality. The scouting legion logo on the back is way too huge. The jacket also looks a tad bit too cropped.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

So given Ymir's little monologue, it seems to me that Ymir was an actual titan who found a way/was always able to take human form. Which is different from titanform humans like Annie and Eren. Assuming the secondary flashback to Bertholdt and Reiner's childhood is accurate, Ymir was a titan who was part of the first invasion when the outermost wall fell. Considering human Ymir appears to be the same age as the rest of the rookie scouts, it seems rather unlikely that she was a child their age who transformed into a rampaging Titan.

Alternatively Ymir is the black sheep of a family like Annie's, and the titan from Bertholdt and Reiner's flashback is Ymir's mother/older sister/other family member.

This is from a while back, but it raises new questions in light of recent events. The flashback is from their internal perspective, so there's no reason to doubt its veracity.

However, how can the facts that (a) they were the Colossal and Armored Titans, broke down Wall Maria and let the other titans in be reconciled with the facts that (b) they saw their friend get eaten during the same titan incursion caused by their own actions as the Colossal and Armored Titans, and appear to be genuinely shocked when they found out that Ymir was the titan that ate their friend?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
We don't really know when that happened. They could have been undercover and couldn't give away the fact that titans can transform to possible witnesses.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

We don't really know when that happened. They could have been undercover and couldn't give away the fact that titans can transform to possible witnesses.
It's an interesting scenario... especially if the third guy was a human titan too. And if Ymir knew who they were and attacked them deliberately. Or something. Who knows why she would, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
They do look very young in that pic. Maybe they were all in the same 'class' (or whatever you call a group of trainee child soldiers), Ymir lost control of her new powers, and started eating people? We know that's an occupational hazard for human-Titans, especially inexperienced ones.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

They do look very young in that pic. Maybe they were all in the same 'class' (or whatever you call a group of trainee child soldiers), Ymir lost control of her new powers, and started eating people? We know that's an occupational hazard for human-Titans, especially inexperienced ones.

Except there is no reason for them not to know who she is if that was the case.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I still want to know Ymir's connection to that one Titan who spoke to that Scout before he ate her way back earlier on.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:

mind the walrus posted:

I still want to know Ymir's connection to that one Titan who spoke to that Scout before he ate her way back earlier on.

Wasn't that just the similarities in appearance?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Maybe it was just a poor translation, but the titan clearly said "Ymir" in the version I read. At first I thought it was just a reference to the Frost Giant of mythology, but once Ymir the character showed up my ears immediately perked up and remembered that little piece of trivia.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah, the girl had short black hair and freckles, which is probably enough of a similarity to make a titan mistake her as Ymir. The thing is though, that means the Titan knew Ymir had a human form, and I guess didn't consider her a traitor considering the titan didn't attack the girl immediately. Does that mean the feral titans have sent in spies? But the hairy titan didn't know anything about the 3D-gear, so I guess it'd be ANOTHER faction? Man there are a lot of factions in this. Military, Church, Human-Titans from outside the wall, Hairy Titan, Titan-Humans....

EDIT: vvv And yeah, Ymir must be well known among the titans. Unless that particular titan just knew her, but I doubt it.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 15, 2013

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Grei Skuring posted:

Wasn't that just the similarities in appearance?

Yes, the Titan mentioned Ymir because it thought that that Scout was Ymir, but we don't know why Ymir is important enough to the other Titans for them to know her name and appearance.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
From what we know, it seems that Ymir could be a titan who became human(or possibly a human titan who went full titan before rediscovering her humanity) instead of the others who are humans who became titans. Bigfoot Titan is an unknown. Maybe he's from another walled city come to scout out this city.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hairy Titan didn't seem like a Human-Titan to me, I think he was a regular Titan who gained sentience. Not sure how that would make him hairy though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RatHat posted:

Hairy Titan didn't seem like a Human-Titan to me, I think he was a regular Titan who gained sentience. Not sure how that would make him hairy though.

Among the titans there are few barbers.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

RatHat posted:

Yeah, the girl had short black hair and freckles, which is probably enough of a similarity to make a titan mistake her as Ymir. The thing is though, that means the Titan knew Ymir had a human form, and I guess didn't consider her a traitor considering the titan didn't attack the girl immediately. Does that mean the feral titans have sent in spies? But the hairy titan didn't know anything about the 3D-gear, so I guess it'd be ANOTHER faction? Man there are a lot of factions in this. Military, Church, Human-Titans from outside the wall, Hairy Titan, Titan-Humans....

EDIT: vvv And yeah, Ymir must be well known among the titans. Unless that particular titan just knew her, but I doubt it.

I'm still going with the idea of a giant war with piloted titans used as the ultimate weapons. Something bad happened causing thousands of feral titans. The war is largely put on hold as everyone scrambles just to survive. In Eren's city they use the last of their controlled titans to form the walls. The church takes control of the secret to prevent it from happening again.

Meanwhile in some other country, history is not quite so forgotten. The main details are fuzzy, but they know there's another country there that tried to destroy them and quite possibly they blame Eren's country for making the titans in the first place. Some event (maybe a fairly successful titan attack, or something started by the harry titan) get's them to dust off their titan tech and send some people over to knock on their gates as revenge.

I have a theory that the church in Eren's town has some sort of macguffin that can destroy/control all the titans. Annie's group is supposed to retrieve it. They didn't really want to destroy the whole country but knocking down the gates will force the church to reveal it. Eren has kind of hosed up their plans, so now they want his help.

Harry titan and possibly Ymir could be another faction from Annie's country, a mutated strain of feral titans that got smart, or really anything at this point. They could be deliberately pitting the two remaining groups of people against each other or maybe they just stumbled into the middle of all this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dr_Amazing posted:

The war is largely put on hold as everyone scrambles just to survive. In Eren's city they use the last of their controlled titans to form the walls. The church takes control of the secret to prevent it from happening again.

I'm considering the possibility that the human-titans who formed the wall were tricked into it, or at least taken advantaged of.

The initial walls may have been created with the intent that they would be a temporary measure. From within it's safety, humankind could reorganize and slowly reclaim the outside world.
However, the rulers in charge could have decided that was unnecessary, or undesirable. Rather than retaking the outside land, they were content to be kings on the inside.

The human-titans expected they would be awoken as soon as humans had time to reorganize. They would be upset if they woke up to learn they've been abandoned.

They would be upset. They would also be 50 meters tall. There would be an army of them.

To prevent this, the walls would be protected both by soldiers and religion. The religion worships the walls both in appreciation of their sacrifice, and for fear of their wrath.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm amazed that any senior church member, and anyone else privy to the secret, can even fall asleep knowing that they are literally surrounded by a wall of 50-meter titans right next to them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Maria alone was just over 3000KM long. I didn't get a good feel for how far apart the wall titans were but let's say they're 50 meters apart, in which case there's 60 of them in there. The middle wall is about 2400KM long (48 titans) and Sina is just under 1600KM (32 titans). I wouldn't think they'd pack more than maybe twice that many in there if they're 50 meters tall.

That's 7000KM of wall, which is a good bit longer than the Nile's 6650.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 16, 2013

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Assuming that the church wall prayer gesture symbolizes the titans in the walls and the 50 meter tall titans inside are roughly properly to scale, each one would be about 25 meters apart. (Both arms plus the shoulders are about as long as a human is tall. The wall prayer has them folded back, so each arm is bent back at a bit less than half its length, probably about 10-12 meters out from the shoulders)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

dis astranagant posted:

Maria alone was just over 3000KM long. I didn't get a good feel for how far apart the wall titans were but let's say they're 50 meters apart, in which case there's 60 of them in there.

Not 60 titans, but 60 kilo titans. Or rather, 60,000.

How many actual humans are there?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Schwarzwald posted:

Not 60 titans, but 60 kilo titans. Or rather, 60,000.

How many actual humans are there?

250,000 was 20% of the population, so about 1 million now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

derp derp

The anime thread was guessing about 20 million based on the preindustrial agriculture and land area roughly the size of France.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kabanaw posted:

250,000 was 20% of the population, so about 1 million now.

Was that 20% of the total population, or just the refugees from the first wall?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Gyges posted:

Was that 20% of the total population, or just the refugees from the first wall?

Hm, I'm not entirely sure. There are probably way more humans then!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There has to be some pretty hellacious famine going on in the remaining area if that was just the outer wall refugees. They lost the majority of their arable land, which was likely being farmed to the fullest extent to support the higher population densities further in.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Gotta say I've always been perplexed by the popularity of the manga, since the drawings are...ehhh. Messy inking and inconsistent anatomy, and the author seems to be able to draw the expression "shocked" and not much else.

The anime though definitely has much better draftsmanship going for it, and the addition of that and nicely choreographed fight scenes is helping me see the potential that the comic's story has.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The strength of the manga was always in the writing and plotting, to be sure.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Someone post that gif where it's a slideshow of a bunch of character panels that show how incredible the sense of movement is for a still manga.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I thought we established that the population density in the outer wall was incredibly small as the scout dudes rode out during that one chapter in a huge formation and didn't see anything for hours, until they were finally like "Hey there's some titans, still no people though"

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Vincent Valentine posted:

I thought we established that the population density in the outer wall was incredibly small as the scout dudes rode out during that one chapter in a huge formation and didn't see anything for hours, until they were finally like "Hey there's some titans, still no people though"

A lot of it was farmland, and humans were mostly concentrated in the cities to make the Titans easier to watch. Which, of course, led to scores of Titans pouring in through a concentrated area.

I think it's kind of interesting that at the beginning of the series the real problem is that there aren't enough people to evenly populate and guard the outer wall, not that there's too many people like in the rest of it.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ccs posted:

Gotta say I've always been perplexed by the popularity of the manga, since the drawings are...ehhh. Messy inking and inconsistent anatomy, and the author seems to be able to draw the expression "shocked" and not much else.

The art has been steadily improving with each new chapter.

That said, what I wouldn't give for the series to be re-drawn by Murata of Onepunch Man.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I actually like the art in the manga quite a bit. Obviously I'm not going to claim it's good, but I think it's very suitable to the story, and I like the rough style a lot. The anatomy errors don't really bother me, and I often don't even notice them. I guess I'm the same as the people who prefer the original Higurashi/Umineko art.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The big focus of this manga is the Giants, and the artist's style makes them look really bizarre and creepy. So hey.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I don't understand why people don't live underground or habitats that are tightly enclosed with small tunnels. I can understand the need to farm, but that doesn't mean they need to build regular houses too. Maybe the 100 year peace made them slack? The art is okay, but Eren's expression seems to never change. At least I can tell, for the most part, what a page or scene is about -- unlike many other mangas. The creepy titans make it. Its cool how they vary in size from just barely superhuman to ginormous.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some great cosplay's already turning up.

First from the left - Ymir
Second from the left - Christa / Historia Reiss
Third from the left - Mikasa Ackerman
Fourth from the left - Sasha Braus
Fifth from the left - Jean Leonhardt
Sixth from the left - Rene (I think)
Seventh from the left - Hanji Zoe

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 16, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dan7el posted:

I don't understand why people don't live underground or habitats that are tightly enclosed with small tunnels. I can understand the need to farm, but that doesn't mean they need to build regular houses too. Maybe the 100 year peace made them slack? The art is okay, but Eren's expression seems to never change. At least I can tell, for the most part, what a page or scene is about -- unlike many other mangas. The creepy titans make it. Its cool how they vary in size from just barely superhuman to ginormous.

Titans can smell people. It's why hiding inside a house is useless. Hence, hiding underground would be useless as well, unless you were suuuuuper far down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there perhaps some summary of the plot somewhere? The whole setting is pretty interesting and all but I kinda hate the way the anime presents it and I assume it's not much different with the manga. I don't mean to poo poo this thread up or anything, but I'd rather just have one big wall of text than watch any more and I figured I'd rather ask for spoilers in the manga thread.