Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
It's been said before and I still believe it. Record collectors are pretentious assholes. I'm not excluding myself from that assessment, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Some people got problems records won't solve.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Blendy posted:

Just wanted to post I got the Soul Generation today from JohnnyMondo. Looks great, sounds even better.

Sitting around listening to soul, and grilling some bratwurst. A great Saturday.

Nice, pretty quick. Clean copy, right?! great record, perfect summertime BBQ soul.

I'm going through my storage unit slowly but surely, so I'll keep you updated with soul recs you might like. Leave me some good feedback on discogs! Thanks mane!

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

CPL593H posted:

It's been said before and I still believe it. Record collectors are pretentious assholes. I'm not excluding myself from that assessment, either.

Is there a difference between a record collector and a person than listens to records?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

JohnnyMondo posted:

Nice, pretty quick. Clean copy, right?! great record, perfect summertime BBQ soul.

I'm going through my storage unit slowly but surely, so I'll keep you updated with soul recs you might like. Leave me some good feedback on discogs! Thanks mane!

Yeah nice and clean. And yeah it got here pretty quick, right on Media Mail.

Actually right after I started listening I texted my friend and told him we should have a Soul Grill day. Pot luck dishes and soul records (or loaded ipods) and just grill and listen to soul with people. I'll be bring this record for sure.

Already left the feedback! Looking forward to your recs.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

hatelull posted:

Is there a difference between a record collector and a person than listens to records?

Yeah. Someone who buys albums just to have them or multiple reissues because of slight differences. Henry Rollins did a good article on record collectors.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

WASDF posted:

Yeah. Someone who buys albums just to have them or multiple reissues because of slight differences. Henry Rollins did a good article on record collectors.

Is that online? Got a link? I'd really like to read it.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

CPL593H posted:

Here's some stuff I've gotten recently:

Why did I buy these? I hate picture discs.

And here's all of my Lips 7"s:

I only need five more.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hatelull posted:

I meant record collector as a general term for people who buy them for whatever reason. I consider myself a record collector because I buy lots of them, but it's not for the sake of owning a bunch of records and all their variants. I own them to listen to them. To answer your question more directly, yes I consider someone who hoards records (many of which they'll most likely never play) solely for the purpose of having lots of records to be an entirely different category than myself.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

hatelull posted:

Is that online? Got a link? I'd really like to read it.

Here ya' go: http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/01/henry_rollins_collector_scum.php

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

hatelull posted:

Yes, watch this documentary if you can find it. About half the people here are hoarders, and most of the rest are just straight-up mentally ill.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

Yes, watch this documentary if you can find it. About half the people here are hoarders, and most of the rest are just straight-up mentally ill.

What emotion is the opposite of suprise? Because that's what I felt when I saw Harvey Pekar's name in the cast list.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Went to a record fair today and blew a quarter of my paycheck. I also found a dude that will buy my excess Psychic TV records! Stoked on getting Christ: The Album and the first Poison Girls record.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
So I don't have enough Kraut Rock in my collection, and we were in some supposed hipster town in Louisville and I snagged this for 10 bucks. The vinyl itself sounds great.

But what is this engraving?

It says AL- 34427-1A and them some weird squiggle that could be anything really, looks like 3 letters, but they're squiggles. And then the back side says BL-34427-1D and those squiggles.
Its hard to get a picture of with my phone.

Either way, added a little Kraut Rock to my collection. I also snagged a duplicate copy of The Final Cut because the original pressing my dad has from Japan is getting a little worn because I listen the gently caress out of it.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 15, 2012

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

RizieN posted:

But what is this engraving? Some "collector" mark his poo poo?

It says AL- 34427 and them some weird squiggle that could be anything really, looks like 3 letters, but they're squiggles. Its hard to get a picture of with my phone.

Don't pretty much all records have engravings like this?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Just opened up another record, and yes... they do. Hahaha, how have I never noticed this before? I've literally listened to Vinyl Records for the last 20 years and own a couple hundred of them... and just now noticed. Or maybe I did notice before and its just early in the morning for me...

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

RizieN posted:

But what is this engraving? Some "collector" mark his poo poo?

It says AL- 34427-1A and them some weird squiggle that could be anything really, looks like 3 letters, but they're squiggles. And then the back side says BL-34427-1D and those squiggles.

It's a matrix number. They're etched on the lacquer for internal tracking/use by the mastering and pressing plant for internal tracking/record keeping of the stampers. They can also be used to determine which press something is if catalog numbers don't change.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I kind of feel like I've lost my mind considering all the records I've handled since being a little kid and then just now noticing it...

But I guess I just buy my vinyls and listen to them, I rarely inspect them unless the sleeve looks like poo poo and I want to make sure the vinyl will produce a decent sound.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Went to a record fair today and blew a quarter of my paycheck. I also found a dude that will buy my excess Psychic TV records! Stoked on getting Christ: The Album and the first Poison Girls record.

Was it CHIRP record fair in Chicago? That would be an a
amazing coincidence, because I was there and picked up the album of your avatar. Among others.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

RizieN posted:

I kind of feel like I've lost my mind considering all the records I've handled since being a little kid and then just now noticing it...

But I guess I just buy my vinyls and listen to them, I rarely inspect them unless the sleeve looks like poo poo and I want to make sure the vinyl will produce a decent sound.

I love you man, but yeah it's mind boggling that you didn't know those were there if you've been handling records for 20 years. It's ok though, man, it's about the music, not the labels and etchings:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f_DPrSEOEo

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
hahaha, I hate the permanence of the internet. Oh well I can laugh at myself :) I'm sure I've seen them before, but I just woke up and wanted to listen that vinyl, so I'm blaming sleep & coffee deprivation.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Blast Fantasto posted:

Was it CHIRP record fair in Chicago? That would be an a
amazing coincidence, because I was there and picked up the album of your avatar. Among others.

Haha nah, it was the Night Owl in Portland. For a city that has a million record stores you'd think we would have more than 1 record fair

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

RizieN posted:

hahaha, I hate the permanence of the internet. Oh well I can laugh at myself :) I'm sure I've seen them before, but I just woke up and wanted to listen that vinyl, so I'm blaming sleep & coffee deprivation.

Sometimes they leave little messages there too.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The first message I saw was in the groove for Rancid's Radio Radio Radio EP. On side one, it said "That's a lot of radios." Side 2 said "There's 2 l's in Feeling," referencing a mistake that was made on the sleeve where a song was listed as "Just a Felling."

It was the coolest thing ever to my teenage brain.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Sorry to bring it up again but anyone in Canada want to get me a copy of Death From Above 1979 on RSD?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Harry Privates posted:

Sorry to bring it up again but anyone in Canada want to get me a copy of Death From Above 1979 on RSD?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Could that just mean a bigger non-RSD exclusive reissue?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

I think I read somewhere that the release might have been canceled.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Surfingelectrode posted:

I think I read somewhere that the release might have been canceled.

Can you dig up where you read it by any chance? I was really excited about this and it was the only thing I was going to try to get on RSD. I couldn't find anything suggesting that it wasn't going to be released and it's still listed on Last Gang's website.

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 16, 2012

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Can you dig up where you read it by any chance? I was really excited about this and it was the only thing I was going to try to get on RSD. I couldn't find anything suggesting that it wasn't going to be released and it's still listed on Last Gang's website.

From some store in Canada:

"Also, to many other's disappointment, it is looking as if all or many pressings of the DFA reissue have been canceled for Record Store Day. We, of course, placed orders but have been given no confirmation as to this album even being available for RSD.

Thanks for your interest.

Edward @ SonicBoomMusic"

Edit: Whoops, didn't see it posted above.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 16, 2012

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

RizieN posted:

I go a little more crazy when someone says vinyls

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Went to CHIRP and got cut a huuuge deal by my favorite vendor. Pays to have record nerd friends. Ran into a bunch of people with leads on things I want and things I want to sell from my collection, then I turned around and ran into my friend who is a soul collector hitting boxes of 45's from the one legit guy.

I say hi, we catch up (haven't seen each other in ages), then he says "man I know you collect punk help this guy out he can't sell this box."

..look through the box and pull out lots of indie, vermiform and powerviolence for 2$/pc that I turn around and sell last night for 50$ a pop. HAPPY TO HELP, SIR.

Dude from Hozac got one of the two autographed JT IV records found at CHIRP this year too, ~500$/pop.

edit VYNYLZ :q:

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 16, 2012

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

alg posted:

I go a little more crazy when someone says vinyls

Well I can buy an album in any format, the main format that you can kind of inspect and visually see if the audio is going to be warped is found on a disc made of vinyl. But CDs can have scratches and you can inspect those too. I mean I know its The Vinyl Thread so obviously I'm not inspecting CDs, but I also I kind of thought it'd be ok to say Vinyl.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

RizieN posted:

Well I can buy an album in any format, the main format that you can kind of inspect and visually see if the audio is going to be warped is found on a disc made of vinyl. But CDs can have scratches and you can inspect those too. I mean I know its The Vinyl Thread so obviously I'm not inspecting CDs, but I also I kind of thought it'd be ok to say Vinyl.

"Vinyl" is the material. It is grammatically incorrect to pluralize it. You either call them just "vinyl" or "records".

That said, it can be hard to keep oneself from saying "vinyls" even if you know it is incorrect.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Oh, yea I suppose that is annoying. Everyone loving says it though so it's kind of become the normal and I don't even realize I say it. Especially since people tend to just say vinyl instead of record, and you would say records. But in real speech I do say 'I have a lot of vinyl' and don't pluralize it, but I guess I unconsciously must say/type vinyls semi-often... Now its going to be a thing I notice all the loving time.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

RizieN posted:

Now its going to be a thing I notice all the loving time.

One of us. One of us.

Faxbart
Sep 13, 2005

Leave 4514 disabled. It's a stupid warning anyway.

Ron Burgundy posted:

If you haven't seen this, you can watch the full thing online here: http://ww3.tvo.org/video/166862/vinyl (not sure if it's region locked). Pretty scary movie, probably should be a must watch for anyone who collects vinyl.

I can see the appeal and challenge of having a huge collection, but at the end of the day it's just stuff. Cleaning out my Grandmother's house after she moved to a retirement home was a good reminder of this, and forced some rethinking of how much crap I want around me. Someday that record collection at Goodwill will be yours.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Faxbart posted:

If you haven't seen this, you can watch the full thing online here: http://ww3.tvo.org/video/166862/vinyl (not sure if it's region locked). Pretty scary movie, probably should be a must watch for anyone who collects vinyl.

I can see the appeal and challenge of having a huge collection, but at the end of the day it's just stuff. Cleaning out my Grandmother's house after she moved to a retirement home was a good reminder of this, and forced some rethinking of how much crap I want around me. Someday that record collection at Goodwill will be yours.

Someone some day will toss a Jack White album back onto a pile at Goodwill

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

The "vinyls" thing never bothers me. I think it's kinda cute even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Faxbart posted:

Cleaning out my Grandmother's house after she moved to a retirement home was a good reminder of this, and forced some rethinking of how much crap I want around me.

We're in the process of cleaning out our Grandmother's house after she passed away a couple of months ago. It's frustrating because there's a lot of good stuff there, we just don't know what her wishes for it were. Whether she wanted someone in particular to have certain things, or given to charity or what...

I have made it clear to my relatives that I really do not care what happens to my records when I go. I will probably help them out by making a list of the more valuable ones with an estimated price, but the rest can go to landfill for all I care. I am, and will continue to enjoy them during my life, but after that I wouldn't want to burden anyone by making them think that they had to hold on to thousands of records because that's the way I would have wanted it.