Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

You can set up the addon "Open With" to provide a context menu option that will download the url you're right clicking using youtube-dl, among other possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Powered Descent posted:

Seconding this. It's a little less convenient to use than a couple of mouse clicks, but it gives top quality results in terms of audio and/or video quality.

And despite the name, it works with "every" video host

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Is there a spreadsheet where I can get a list of WebExtension alternatives or something? I've got about 5 addons I'm going to need to replace:

TinyTinyRSS Ping
SALR
Imagus
HTTPS Everywhere
Decentraleyes

If anyone has alternatives, I'm all ears, too.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

I don't know about the others, but HTTPS Everywhere already exists as a webext so you don't need to look for a replacement.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Read posted:

You can set up the addon "Open With" to provide a context menu option that will download the url you're right clicking using youtube-dl, among other possibilities.

Does youtube-dl also grab 1080p videos?

I thought places like YT do dodgy stuff like breaking the clip into a bunch of smaller files to stop people from downloading the decent resolutions.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Youtube-dl can do 1080p and beyond. And despite its name, it also works with plenty of other video streaming websites.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Does youtube-dl also grab 1080p videos?

I thought places like YT do dodgy stuff like breaking the clip into a bunch of smaller files to stop people from downloading the decent resolutions.

Here's the output when I ask youtube-dl to list the available formats for a random video.

pre:
marceline ~
$ youtube-dl -F https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwV_mA2cv_0
[youtube] gwV_mA2cv_0: Downloading webpage
[youtube] gwV_mA2cv_0: Downloading video info webpage
[youtube] gwV_mA2cv_0: Extracting video information
[youtube] gwV_mA2cv_0: Downloading MPD manifest
[info] Available formats for gwV_mA2cv_0:
format code  extension  resolution note
139          m4a        audio only DASH audio   49k , m4a_dash container, mp4a.40.5@ 48k (22050Hz), 6.64MiB
249          webm       audio only DASH audio   63k , opus @ 50k, 7.72MiB
250          webm       audio only DASH audio   81k , opus @ 70k, 10.01MiB
171          webm       audio only DASH audio  127k , vorbis@128k, 16.03MiB
140          m4a        audio only DASH audio  128k , m4a_dash container, mp4a.40.2@128k (44100Hz), 17.73MiB
251          webm       audio only DASH audio  154k , opus @160k, 19.01MiB
160          mp4        256x144    DASH video  126k , avc1.4d400c, 30fps, video only, 8.58MiB
278          webm       256x144    144p  140k , webm container, vp9, 30fps, video only, 10.93MiB
133          mp4        426x240    DASH video  279k , avc1.4d4015, 30fps, video only, 18.58MiB
242          webm       426x240    240p  288k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 18.36MiB
134          mp4        640x360    DASH video  640k , avc1.4d401e, 30fps, video only, 31.73MiB
243          webm       640x360    360p  894k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 34.89MiB
135          mp4        854x480    DASH video 1166k , avc1.4d401f, 30fps, video only, 60.95MiB
244          webm       854x480    480p 1722k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 58.09MiB
136          mp4        1280x720   720p 2328k , avc1.4d401f, 30fps, video only, 117.17MiB
298          mp4        1280x720   DASH video 3505k , avc1.4d4020, 60fps, video only, 243.53MiB
247          webm       1280x720   720p 4042k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 116.87MiB
137          mp4        1920x1080  1080p 4419k , avc1.640028, 30fps, video only, 358.27MiB
299          mp4        1920x1080  DASH video 5816k , avc1.64002a, 60fps, video only, 460.27MiB
302          webm       1280x720   720p60 7308k , vp9, 60fps, video only, 176.18MiB
248          webm       1920x1080  1080p 7390k , vp9, 30fps, video only, 232.63MiB
303          webm       1920x1080  1080p60 13219k , vp9, 60fps, video only, 377.20MiB
17           3gp        176x144    small , mp4v.20.3, mp4a.40.2@ 24k
36           3gp        320x180    small , mp4v.20.3, mp4a.40.2
43           webm       640x360    medium , vp8.0, vorbis@128k
18           mp4        640x360    medium , avc1.42001E, mp4a.40.2@ 96k
22           mp4        1280x720   hd720 , avc1.64001F, mp4a.40.2@192k (best)
Of course, thanks to ffmpeg, you can transcode any of these into a huge number of other formats. If you don't specify any format, youtube-dl will intelligently select the best one.

So for instance, if I wanted to rip just the audio out of a video I could use the command "youtube-dl --extract-audio --audio-format=mp3 <my-url>". If available, youtube-dl will just grab the audio in the highest bitrate, but if not it will grab the video with the best audio muxed in. Then it will rip the audio out if necessary, and output it in the requested format.

Although I don't think ripping the audio out is really necessary on youtube anymore, it's always (?) available as two separate streams.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

BoyBlunder posted:

Is there a spreadsheet where I can get a list of WebExtension alternatives or something? I've got about 5 addons I'm going to need to replace:

TinyTinyRSS Ping
SALR
Imagus
HTTPS Everywhere
Decentraleyes

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TFcEXMcKrwoIAECIVyBU0GPoSmRqZ7A0VBvqeKYVSww/edit#gid=0

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

But can't that command line app be rewritten as a browser extension?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ola posted:

At the very least, you could probably put together a lightweight extension which makes it simple to pass the video URL to the command line as a sort of 'open with' button. Actually having youtube-dl installed would be an exercise for the user.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Ola posted:

Why would they want to rewrite it when it already works really well?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

Why would they want to rewrite it when it already works really well?

If you are nitpicking the word "rewrite", let me rephrase as "why not make it work as a browser plugin instead of a command line tool?". If it's a variant of "but the command line is cool", then why use a browser at all? Just curl everything and grep for what you want.

I suppose the answer could be that browser plugins have limited API access which the external application haven't.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Ola posted:

If you are nitpicking the word "rewrite", let me rephrase as "why not make it work as a browser plugin instead of a command line tool?". If it's a variant of "but the command line is cool", then why use a browser at all? Just curl everything and grep for what you want.

I suppose the answer could be that browser plugins have limited API access which the external application haven't.

Browser plugins (Flash) are being rapidly phased out on all platforms. You mean extensions.

Why the command line?

Legacy - YouTube-dl comes from Linux & BSD users who were originally unable to watch any YouTube videos at all in-browser. There has never been a flash plugin for some platforms which YouTube-dl works on.

Performance - JavaScript extensions aren't as efficient as native binaries, and some of the things which YouTube-dl can do (transcode, separate audio) would be entirely impossible in JavaScript.

The command line is

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

It's written in Python (and uses ffmpeg) so you'd have to rewrite pretty much everything (or use emscripten, which sounds like a bad idea here) and add UI for it. In theory, WebExtensions can talk to desktop applications (sort of), but in practice that makes distribution really hard, since you can't just distribute arbitrary native code with your WebExtension.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
An extension to generate the optimal youtube-dl options string sure would be nice.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Right, extensions. I think javascript addon things used to be called plugins at some point, it stuck. Anyway, the original question wasn't if you could grab a video with an extension, obviously you can, but I guess they aren't maintained by the same level of enthusiasts as youtube-dl.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

BoyBlunder posted:

TinyTinyRSS Ping
SALR
Imagus
HTTPS Everywhere
Decentraleyes

Decentraleyes has a version in the development channel that supports Firefox 57, so you won't have to replace that one.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

BoyBlunder posted:

TinyTinyRSS Ping
SALR
Imagus
HTTPS Everywhere
Decentraleyes

You can get the webextension version of HTTPS Everywhere from here, though it's still in development.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Ola posted:

Right, extensions. I think javascript addon things used to be called plugins at some point, it stuck. Anyway, the original question wasn't if you could grab a video with an extension, obviously you can, but I guess they aren't maintained by the same level of enthusiasts as youtube-dl.

For anything above 720p30, YouTube videos are generally split into tiny chunks and reassembled by the browser in real time. An extension will have a really hard time doing that, since the API in the browser is meant for playback. Also, they are split into separate audio and video streams, which further complicates things. FFmpeg already has all that complicated code built-in, so all you need to do is feed it all the parts, and it will combine them together into one synced-up file with zero quality loss. Obviously, a WebExtension can't call FFmpeg because a browser calling arbitrary programs is a huge security risk. If you're fine with 720p30 videos, then I'm sure it would be trivial to have an extension to download those videos.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gorilla Salad posted:

Firefox doing some weird poo poo that makes no sense? Must be Tuesday.

Well, I've managed to "fix" Ebay. By accident.

I thought I had my extensions pretty well sorted out, with everything getting the green light from the Firefox Compatibility Reporter. Well, everything except for a few old extensions which I had disabled after finding replacements for them, or just weaning myself off them altogether.

But I noticed that multithreading was still disabled. Weird.

So I disabled everything and still no go. Then I thought, it can't possibly be that simply having older extensions installed - even when they're disabled - stops Firefox from enabling multithreading?

Turns out that's exactly what was happening.

So I uninstalled all those disabled extensions, restarted and now multithreading AND Ebay are working fine.

Still makes no goddamn sense to me. Removed disabled extensions, now website works properly :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Gorilla Salad posted:

Still makes no goddamn sense to me. Removed disabled extensions, now website works properly :shrug:

This won't be a problem after all those legacy extensions are eliminated in 57! :pseudo:

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

isndl posted:

This won't be a problem after all those legacy extensions are eliminated in 57! :pseudo:

Can't wait for that! Hopefully this thread will clean up as a result from this as well.

We do have a Chrome / Waterfox / Firefox Fork Thread ready to go for people to go to right? RIGHT?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Probably has something to do with uBlock / legacy stuff.

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/6ydseb/having_trouble_with_ebay_in_specific_pages_not/

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So it was totally unrelated to anything I did :downsbravo:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any goons here actually using Firefox 57 yet?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any goons here actually using Firefox 57 yet?

I've been using it on my laptop since Nightly switched over to 57. I like it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I'm on the beta channel, so I will be getting it 9/26. I only have a little over two weeks of SALR left. I don't know how I'm going to cope after that.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nalin posted:

I'm on the beta channel, so I will be getting it 9/26. I only have a little over two weeks of SALR left. I don't know how I'm going to cope after that.

Short-term: ESR, Dev, Nightly, and any unbranded builds should all still allow legacy extensions to work 57+, though parts of the extensions may be broken as stuff is stripped from Firefox itself.

Mid-term: When I have some time I'll reach out to the SALR Chrome guys about the idea someone posted of repackaging their chrome extension version for Firefox. If that works out, data migration shouldn't be too challenging, but may involve an extra step if people are already on 57 by then.

Long-term: Xenforo will want a very different SALR, if any.

astral fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 6, 2017

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

astral posted:

Short-term: ESR, Dev, Nightly, and any unbranded builds should all still allow legacy extensions to work 57+, though parts of the extensions may be broken as stuff is stripped from Firefox itself.

Mid-term: When I have some time I'll reach out to the SALR Chrome guys about the idea someone posted of repackaging their chrome extension version for Firefox. If that works out, data migration shouldn't be too challenging, but may involve an extra step if people are already on 57 by then.

Honestly, losing the "show threads with new posts first in the bookmark list" is going to be the one thing that will make me cry.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nalin posted:

Honestly, losing the "show threads with new posts first in the bookmark list" is going to be the one thing that will make me cry.

If you bookmark threads, that's exactly what shows up here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/usercp.php

I'm sure SALR does some stuff that the forum doesn't, but the forum does do the basics.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ola posted:

If you bookmark threads, that's exactly what shows up here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/usercp.php

I'm sure SALR does some stuff that the forum doesn't, but the forum does do the basics.

That option moves all bookmarked threads that have unread posts to the very top, so you don't have to scroll down the page to find what has been replied to.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Nalin posted:

That option moves all bookmarked threads that have unread posts to the very top, so you don't have to scroll down the page to find what has been replied to.

They're sorted by last-replied-to, so the only ways to not have threads with unread posts on top are to have threads you don't read in your bookmarks or to open the top one and then refresh the list.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nalin posted:

if by some tragedy all else fails, little things like that can get popped out into user scripts pretty easily

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

I've been using it on my laptop since Nightly switched over to 57. I like it.

Yeah it's really surprisingly nice. So what exactly have they done over the past year or so to make it so much faster and more responsive? The lack of jank is really astonishing compared to this time last year.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yeah it's really surprisingly nice. So what exactly have they done over the past year or so to make it so much faster and more responsive? The lack of jank is really astonishing compared to this time last year.

Multiple content processes is a big one (although that's on Release already). Also, the devs have spent a lot of effort on moving things out of the main thread, which is a major source of jank in the browser chrome (e.g. doing some blocking database transaction). On the visual side, a lot of the Photon project is about improving "perceptual performance" so that animations just feel snappier and the like.

And they still haven't preffed on Stylo by default (their new CSS engine that processes styles in parallel so you can get like a 3-4x performance boost). e: Apparently they just preffed it on today, so presumably everyone on nightly will have Stylo tomorrow.

e2: I should also note that a lot of this stuff is possible because they decided to break add-on compatibility. There are a bunch of areas where they couldn't make positive changes for a long time because it would have broken add-ons. Multi-process is a good example; lots of add-ons assumed that chrome and content were in the same process, which meant that Mozilla had to add shims for old add-ons, and even those shims didn't work 100% of the time. The shims are gone on Release now, I think (and definitely gone in 57).

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 6, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

astral posted:

Losing the ability to colour code goons is going to kill me.

I turn good posters gold, lovely posters brown and really lovely trolls I just make their posts black so I don't have to read their bullshit even if someone quotes them.

Not to mention the million other cool things SALR does.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

Multiple content processes is a big one (although that's on Release already). Also, the devs have spent a lot of effort on moving things out of the main thread, which is a major source of jank in the browser chrome (e.g. doing some blocking database transaction). On the visual side, a lot of the Photon project is about improving "perceptual performance" so that animations just feel snappier and the like.

And they still haven't preffed on Stylo by default (their new CSS engine that processes styles in parallel so you can get like a 3-4x performance boost). e: Apparently they just preffed it on today, so presumably everyone on nightly will have Stylo tomorrow.

e2: I should also note that a lot of this stuff is possible because they decided to break add-on compatibility. There are a bunch of areas where they couldn't make positive changes for a long time because it would have broken add-ons. Multi-process is a good example; lots of add-ons assumed that chrome and content were in the same process, which meant that Mozilla had to add shims for old add-ons, and even those shims didn't work 100% of the time. The shims are gone on Release now, I think (and definitely gone in 57).

Pity they just couldn't compete with the speed and responsiveness of the other browser and still retain the extensibility of old Firefox. Still, most of the extensions I use are now available as WebExtensions and the browser is on its way back to being my daily driver.

Is it safer to let Firefox save my passwords and sync them to the cloud compared with LastPass?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
what the gently caress is firefox screenshots and why did it just add itself next to ublock

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
It's a cool new feature that you can Google, Mozilla also likes to do staged rollouts, tag your it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's the new feature for the Pocket apologists to defend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
You used to be able to take screenshots through the F12 dev tools (or through the shift+F2 console). Now you have a handy button with user UI for doing it. It lets me get rid of addons like Awesome Screenshot Plus, so that's a win for me. If you don't like it on your toolbar, drag it off.