Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Portland's lovely metal scene makes me hate Pantera more and more. I guess I should call it our local scene since a lot of poo poo comes from Washington.

Why can't more bands be like YOB or Agalloch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

This rules a lot.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
The Maiden show in Chicago ("Chicago") was pretty drat awesome. While they did skip HBTN, we got to see a ton of songs I never thought I'd see live, like Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Phantom of the Opera and Wasted Years.

Took my son again, and this time I brought my wife and daughter; they were both very excited to go. It was my daughter's first concert, and my wife's first Iron Maiden show.

<=== same kid

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

You are a good dad.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
So... the new Baroness is terrible

landuros
Sep 22, 2010
The 3 Baroness songs they released so far have been fantastic. "March to the Sea", "Eula", and "Take My Bones Away" all definitly have different vibes to them. "March to the Sea" is the closest to their older sound but all three are good in their own way.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

captainOrbital posted:

The Maiden show in Chicago ("Chicago") was pretty drat awesome. While they did skip HBTN, we got to see a ton of songs I never thought I'd see live, like Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Phantom of the Opera and Wasted Years.

Took my son again, and this time I brought my wife and daughter; they were both very excited to go. It was my daughter's first concert, and my wife's first Iron Maiden show.

Good stuff. Would have liked to have made it to that show but alas other things got in the way.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Anyone know what happened with Dew-Scented? Apparently everyone left the band besides the singer and the roster is full of members of some band called I Chaos that released their only album on "Raped in the Face Records." :rolleyes:

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 7, 2012

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
I don't remember where Cancer came up, but I would like to thank whoever posted them.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I'm reviewing the upcoming Korpiklaani album and, well, it's nothing special. While it isn't a bad album, it's not a particularly interesting thing to listen.

Here's the first single : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJwo6bMKBaw

And here's the very awkward English version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDSwF3igT-Q

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
That is really really bad. I used to kind of like Korpiklaani :(

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!
I still like them but this song is unusually boring and repetitive for Korpiklaani.

Feb 8, 2008
Keldian re-mastered both of their albums and released them for free on their website and are working on a new album. While they don't bring anything new to the field, a Norwegian power metal band is rare and their stuff is well produced and drat catchy. I'm a sucker for sci-fi inspired lyrics, pretty sure they even have a song about the old PC game Freelancer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1oF2C7iN_A

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They already got rid of the little violin player Teemu Eerola it looks like, that didn't last long. Granted he didn't really fit their image. The song is alright though but a lil boring.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Korpiklaani should probably stick to writing songs about getting shitfaced in the forest. That song was aggressively boring.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'd argue that they should just stop.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Weaponized Cum posted:

So... the new Baroness is terrible

Thanks for posting this in both this and the stoner/doom/sludge thread!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Has anyone else listened to Bound By Entrails "The Stars Bode You Farewell"? It's progressive extreme metal with roots in black metal, I'd compare it to later Emperor/early Ihsahn and Opeth's early to middle albums. It stands out from a lot of Opeth clones and stagnant extreme prog, it's quite unique IMO and it's just really good music. I listened through the album around 20 times over five weeks and it kept growing on me - it didn't catch on the first time but it grew on me each time - it's my favorite album so far this year. If you want a longer description I wrote a review of it.

The whole album can be [legally] heard here:
http://boundbyentrails.bandcamp.com/

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

vanov posted:

Thanks for posting this in both this and the stoner/doom/sludge thread!

Preach it brother. Let's listen to Church of Misery instead.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah a song about iron

They did this a few times as already

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Actually I really like Y&G.

But yeah it's not metal.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Non Serviam posted:

I'm reviewing the upcoming Korpiklaani album and, well, it's nothing special. While it isn't a bad album, it's not a particularly interesting thing to listen.

Here's the first single : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJwo6bMKBaw

And here's the very awkward English version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDSwF3igT-Q

When it comes to music, don't ever trust a white guy with dreads. Or anything for that matter.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 8, 2012

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Zodijackylite posted:

Has anyone else listened to Bound By Entrails "The Stars Bode You Farewell"? It's progressive extreme metal with roots in black metal, I'd compare it to later Emperor/early Ihsahn and Opeth's early to middle albums. It stands out from a lot of Opeth clones and stagnant extreme prog, it's quite unique IMO and it's just really good music. I listened through the album around 20 times over five weeks and it kept growing on me - it didn't catch on the first time but it grew on me each time - it's my favorite album so far this year. If you want a longer description I wrote a review of it.

The whole album can be [legally] heard here:
http://boundbyentrails.bandcamp.com/

This is loving awesome. Two songs in and I'm enjoying this even more than Ne Obliviscaris. I didn't think anything would unseat Portal of I as my album of the year, but so far, this is on track to do just that.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The last time Korpiklaani were somewhat interesting was when they were still called Shaman and had their lyrics in the Sami language. And that was like 10 years ago.

Now, I do love me some good cheesy beer-drinking pagan forest metal, but Korpiklaani were always too loving by-the-books about it, like they read a folk metal 101 and went to studio without really understanding what's the jist of the thing.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Nordick posted:

The last time Korpiklaani were somewhat interesting was when they were still called Shaman and had their lyrics in the Sami language. And that was like 10 years ago.

Now, I do love me some good cheesy beer-drinking pagan forest metal, but Korpiklaani were always too loving by-the-books about it, like they read a folk metal 101 and went to studio without really understanding what's the jist of the thing.

This is the first song of the upcoming album and, I'm sure, it will be removed from Youtube very quickly, since it must have been uploaded by someone who got a review copy. It's not too bad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RWVON6Jf5I

Edit: To clarify, in case a youtube upload could be considered a violation on the filesharing rule. I did not upload that.

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 8, 2012

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Haggins posted:

When it comes to music, don't ever trust a white guy with dreads. Or anything for that matter.

Skyforger was one of the best Amorphis albums. :raise:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Kryopsis posted:

Skyforger was one of the best Amorphis albums. :raise:
I'd love to hear what it was supposed to sound like before Celemony got a hold of the recordings.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Misogynist posted:

I'd love to hear what it was supposed to sound like before Celemony got a hold of the recordings.

I'd love to hear what it was supposed to sound like with a competent vocalist.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
Scanned the past few pages and I don't think this has really been touched on, so; UPDATES ON WINTERSUN'S "TIME" (Also known as "Jari continues to be a cocktease and delay it even more)

Possibly the smallest bit of the new album they could have physically released, but it's nice to see they're actually mixing something now, and not complaining about underpowered PCs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoAUK5KOwRs

Details about the release:

quote:

TIME I mix is set to be finished by July, mastered in the beginning of July and released in early fall of 2012! TIME II will be released in 2013. Conception of album artworks, videos, live shows incl. rehearsals will keep us busy during the summer and I´ll also continue mixing TIME II meanwhile. We´ll be hopefully posting some videos and teasers during summer. Also some new live show announcements soon, so stay tuned for those!

The new album “Time I” will be released October 19, 2012 via Nuclear Blast.

The tracklisting looks like this:

1. When Time Fades Away
2. Sons of Winter and Stars
I Rain of Stars
II Surrounded by Darkness
III Journey Inside a Dream
IV Sons of Winter and Stars
3. Land of Snow and Sorrow
4. Darkness and Frost
5. Time

I for one, am excited; but holy poo poo does Wintersun know how to keep my balls blue. loving shame they're not touring the US. Wintersun, Trollfest and Korpiklaani? I have no physical way to throw my wallet at these people yet.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Florida people and others, but mostly just FL.

Brutality has reunited (with a new drummer) and is doing a show at the Mug October 13th. It's also a benefit for Metal Meowlisha.

And they're planning to do a new album.

WOO!
e- I am digging the Bound by Entrails album too, although I think I need more listens.

thepitgoddess fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 9, 2012

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Optimum Gulps posted:

This is loving awesome. Two songs in and I'm enjoying this even more than Ne Obliviscaris. I didn't think anything would unseat Portal of I as my album of the year, but so far, this is on track to do just that.

It is exceptional, and the flow of the music and interaction between instruments stands out more each time you listen to it. It's still almost unbelievable that this is something that I heard on a blind request from the request-a-review thread on Metal Archives. The band members relocated from Alaska to different parts of the country as the album was finished, and it literally came out of nowhere - the only other mention of the band I have heard was from a friend who heard their last album in a similar fashion. Due to being in Alaska, they hardly toured, and their last album was a genre-piece rather than a standout like this. The drummer and frontman have been replying to people talking about the band on the MA forums, so if you want to share your thoughts, those guys appreciate it.

For contrast, this came from the same batch of random promos where I was wholeheartedly thanked for reviews ranging from completely trashing a band to saying that something was good, despite sounding like it was recorded in a submarine.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

It is exceptional, and the flow of the music and interaction between instruments stands out more each time you listen to it. It's still almost unbelievable that this is something that I heard on a blind request from the request-a-review thread on Metal Archives. The band members relocated from Alaska to different parts of the country as the album was finished, and it literally came out of nowhere - the only other mention of the band I have heard was from a friend who heard their last album in a similar fashion. Due to being in Alaska, they hardly toured, and their last album was a genre-piece rather than a standout like this. The drummer and frontman have been replying to people talking about the band on the MA forums, so if you want to share your thoughts, those guys appreciate it.

For contrast, this came from the same batch of random promos where I was wholeheartedly thanked for reviews ranging from completely trashing a band to saying that something was good, despite sounding like it was recorded in a submarine.

I don't know whether I'm going to like this or not. Progressive Extreme Metal is either amazing or boring, there is rarely any in between for me, but given the high praise, I'll give it a spin and see what I think.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I gave that "Bound by Entrails" album a listen, the biggest thing that stood out to me was the drummer. A lot of the blast beats/transitions were off and not by a little bit, noticeably like the guy from Agalloch. Other than that, it was pretty drat good.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
As a few have mentioned the new Nile album is out. I've seen many reviews that hate the production/mix. I just wanted to say that I'm pretty happy with how the album sounds. I can see where folks are coming from with their opinion of the mix. I've been a Nile fan since "Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka" and I've always felt like most of the previous incarnations have been a bit oppressive to listen to for extended periods. In light of that I'm really enjoying mix on "At the Gate of Sethu". It does sound a bit different and I like that.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I gave that "Bound by Entrails" album a listen, the biggest thing that stood out to me was the drummer. A lot of the blast beats/transitions were off and not by a little bit, noticeably like the guy from Agalloch. Other than that, it was pretty drat good.

Yeah, he noticeably speeds up\slows down sometimes too. Yikes...

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hammer Floyd posted:

Yeah, he noticeably speeds up\slows down sometimes too. Yikes...

I believe that's the "prog".

Just kidding. But I liked it regardless.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Weaponized Cum posted:

Preach it brother. Let's listen to Church of Misery instead.

Church of Misery always has, and always will own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7eP-DFReyA

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
New Absu track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieAcVYKkN-8

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Anvil and Skeletonwitch shows coming up in my berg. What am I in for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Anvil and Skeletonwitch shows coming up in my berg. What am I in for?

Skeletonwitch rule live. I'm still not that familiar with the material but they're bound to put on a good show, with a lively atmosphere.