Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I saw Dream Theater once -- more to kind of check it off my "bands to eventually see live" list than anything else -- and years later, all I can remember about the show was that LaBrie must have chugged 37 bottles of water throughout the set and Portnoy punching himself on the side of the head a dozen times or so. It was really weird.

LaBrie also wanders off stage pretty frequently. I think he strains his voice pretty hard these days; he's also stopped even trying to hit the high notes he used to be able to hit.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

I'm not very familiar with Avenged Sevenfold, do they really have an 70-year-old looking dude behind the drums or is this some Black Ops joke?

I think the old guy drummer and the one eyed guitarist are characters from the game who play with the band for some reason. Which means the band's actual drummer didn't make the cut for the game.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 22, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think the old guy drummer and the one eyed guitarist are characters from the game who play with the band for some reason. Which means the band's actual drummer didn't make the cut for the game.
They don't actually have a drummer since The Rev died, according to Wikipedia, so that's probably deliberate.

Haha, yeah, he wandered around a lot and looked bored out of his mind, but I guess a lot of us in the audience looked the same way too. The only good album they ever put out was Images & Words, so I should have known what I was getting into and I probably deserved what I got. Welp, that's my exciting story.
Awake and Scenes from a Memory were fantastic albums :mad:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Haha, yeah, he wandered around a lot and looked bored out of his mind, but I guess a lot of us in the audience looked the same way too. The only good album they ever put out was Images & Words, so I should have known what I was getting into and I probably deserved what I got. Welp, that's my exciting story.

Scenes from a Memory is loving amazing and I will cut anyone who says otherwise. I also really like their newest one and Awake and most of their other early stuff is good but SfaM is objectively awesome.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
LaBrie wandering off stage a lot is probably for the best because what the hell else is he going to do during a 6 minute keyboard solo?

edit: also Awake is their best album

Misogynist posted:

They don't actually have a drummer since The Rev died, according to Wikipedia, so that's probably deliberate.

What's the zombie mode even for if they're not going to put the whole band in the game?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

fappenmeister posted:

Yeah they are, Go For the Throat is a hell of an album, Steel and Starlight is rad too.

The live album they did while playing live in a Dallas radio station is great too. Apparently they still play in Ohio, but they don't seem to get far beyond there. I'd love to see them. They remind me of Liege Lord when Michaud was singing, which is a lot of fun because he's such a ridiculous singer.

This song basically sounds like a divine 80s US power metal band triumphantly playing on top of a mountain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2wCu3qwUpM

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Dream Theater are a band that would benefit hugely from someone not in the band saying 'Don't do that it sounds loving awful'. A huge pool of talent that consistently made awful decisions about their content. Images And Words is fantastic, obviously, and I think Awake, Scenes and the new album are all great examples of what some restraint and focus on the song and not technical ability will do.

They had a WE GOTTA BE METAL stage, in which they made the acceptable Train Of Thought, the weird keyboardy Muse-ish Octavarium (which I actually quite like), the horrible piece of poo poo Systematic Chaos (with their worst song ever on it, and that is saying something!) and the forgettable Black Clouds.That was the worst, and it was pretty much Portnoy's doing. If only Adrenaline Mob had formed in 2001. :(

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The best thing about thinking Dream Theater sucks is not having to figure out which albums are good and which are bad and why.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Stoat posted:

They had a WE GOTTA BE METAL stage, in which they made the acceptable Train Of Thought, the weird keyboardy Muse-ish Octavarium (which I actually quite like), the horrible piece of poo poo Systematic Chaos (with their worst song ever on it, and that is saying something!)

Assuming you mean The Dark Eternal Night, that song is adorable because it's the band's most blatant example of trying and failing to sound tough.

THE HIDEOUS ANCIENT WARNINGS / FORGED IN THE VOID OF NIGHT

Train of Thought is a fun album because it's honest and full of 'gently caress you' songs. As I Am is pretty much 'gently caress you Geoff Tate (of Queensryche) don't tell me how to play my instruments.' Honor Thy Father is literally 'no gently caress you (step)dad.'

Dream Theater makes a lot of bad musical decisions but a decent amount of good ones too, and they're very prolific so there's a lot of stuff to sift through to find something you like.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 16, 2012

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Zodijackylite posted:

The live album they did while playing live in a Dallas radio station is great too. Apparently they still play in Ohio, but they don't seem to get far beyond there. I'd love to see them. They remind me of Liege Lord when Michaud was singing, which is a lot of fun because he's such a ridiculous singer.

This song basically sounds like a divine 80s US power metal band triumphantly playing on top of a mountain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2wCu3qwUpM

Liege Lord indeed rule too. Spot on!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Slate Action posted:

Assuming you mean The Dark Eternal Night, that song is adorable because it's the band's most blatant example of trying and failing to sound tough.

That riff redeems it. The worst song would have to be that 10 minute christian one about ghosts or something.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Stoat posted:

Dream Theater are a band that would benefit hugely from someone not in the band saying 'Don't do that it sounds loving awful'. A huge pool of talent that consistently made awful decisions about their content. Images And Words is fantastic, obviously, and I think Awake, Scenes and the new album are all great examples of what some restraint and focus on the song and not technical ability will do.

They had a WE GOTTA BE METAL stage, in which they made the acceptable Train Of Thought, the weird keyboardy Muse-ish Octavarium (which I actually quite like), the horrible piece of poo poo Systematic Chaos (with their worst song ever on it, and that is saying something!) and the forgettable Black Clouds.That was the worst, and it was pretty much Portnoy's doing. If only Adrenaline Mob had formed in 2001. :(

Whoa there, Dream Theater's worst song was The Count of Tuscany, come on we all know that. THERE WAS A CAR CRASH, EVERYONE WAS FINE!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

IRQ posted:

Whoa there, Dream Theater's worst song was The Count of Tuscany, come on we all know that. THERE WAS A CAR CRASH, EVERYONE WAS FINE!

That was 'A Nightmare To Remember'. Count Of Tuscany was actually a decent song, especially the last 4 minutes, but it did contain 'LET ME INTRODUCE, MY BROTHER. A BITTER MAN. HISTORIAN!' which is amazing.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Dream Theater is one of those bands that defines their genre of metal, even their worst is still better than some bands best. That said, Images and Words is one of the best metal albums ever released and I will fight any one who says otherwise :ese:.

Durendal fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 16, 2012

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Stoat posted:

That was 'A Nightmare To Remember'. Count Of Tuscany was actually a decent song, especially the last 4 minutes, but it did contain 'LET ME INTRODUCE, MY BROTHER. A BITTER MAN. HISTORIAN!' which is amazing.

Lyrics have never been Dream Theater's high point, but lyrics and vocals have been a low point more than a few times. The band also had one of the best lyricists in metal, John Arch, audition back in 1991, though I've heard that he did it as a favor to the band. Reading the lyrics along with all of his songs, especially on The Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian, compliments the music greatly. It takes a few listenings/readings to adjust to the story and follow it as vividly as he sings it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3TImZgT5jA

Lyrics: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Fates_Warning/The_Spectre_Within/3408?songId=31634#31634

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Happy Friday. I know it's not a new thrash song or a new Ensrug song but............ well, I covered a Manowar song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQqZJQoHq4M

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Zodijackylite posted:

Lyrics have never been Dream Theater's high point, but lyrics and vocals have been a low point more than a few times. The band also had one of the best lyricists in metal, John Arch, audition back in 1991, though I've heard that he did it as a favor to the band.
I would argue that Kevin Moore's lyrics were very good, it's just that he wasn't the sole lyricist, they traded off a lot. Of course the band's style ultimately wasn't to his taste

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

het posted:

I would argue that Kevin Moore's lyrics were very good, it's just that he wasn't the sole lyricist, they traded off a lot. Of course the band's style ultimately wasn't to his taste

Moore's lyrics were hit or miss, I think two of his three on I&W were well written (Pull Me Under and Wait For Sleep) and one was pretty weak (Surrounded), while one on Awake was interesting (Space Dye Vest) and the other two were mediocre(6:00 and Lie). It's oddly appropriate that right after he left the band, the record company had the producer write some lyrics, since he seemed to be the one who managed to write their catchiest song at that point.

I think "About to Crash" has some of the worst lyrics ever - they're not even comically bad, clearly inexperienced, or horribly immature, they're just formless, flowless, and bland.

"She was raised in a small midwestern town
By a charming and eccentric loving father
She was praised as the perfect teenage girl
And everyone thought highly of her"

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

QPZIL posted:

Happy Friday. I know it's not a new thrash song or a new Ensrug song but............ well, I covered a Manowar song.

They better play this next Saturday.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

QPZIL posted:

That was pretty awesome. Well done!

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Zodijackylite posted:

Moore's lyrics were hit or miss, I think two of his three on I&W were well written (Pull Me Under and Wait For Sleep) and one was pretty weak (Surrounded), while one on Awake was interesting (Space Dye Vest) and the other two were mediocre(6:00 and Lie). It's oddly appropriate that right after he left the band, the record company had the producer write some lyrics, since he seemed to be the one who managed to write their catchiest song at that point.
The Mirror and Lie are kind of ehh (I don't think they're bad but the concept is weak) but 6:00 is cool specifically because it seemed to obviously be a farewell letter to the band, at least indirectly. Also I really liked Surrounded, though it was definitely a different song from the rest of the album.

edit: compared to the others I thought Moore was light-years ahead (which was borne out by his output in Chroma Key), and I always thought Myung's lyrics were overrated by fans

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

het posted:

The Mirror and Lie are kind of ehh (I don't think they're bad but the concept is weak) but 6:00 is cool specifically because it seemed to obviously be a farewell letter to the band, at least indirectly. Also I really liked Surrounded, though it was definitely a different song from the rest of the album.

edit: compared to the others I thought Moore was light-years ahead (which was borne out by his output in Chroma Key), and I always thought Myung's lyrics were overrated by fans

Myung doesn't write a lot, I think fans praise his lyrics in hope that he writes more, because the other three guys who wrote lyrics have been far from graceful, really making lyrics something that's mostly overlooked or ignored when they do it. They have some good moments, but they can't tell good lyrics from terrible lyrics.

Most of DT's lyrics have been forgettable, they rarely add something special to the music like John Arch did with Fates Warning. DT lyrics are often too down to earth, outright boring, with no sense of how to emphasize something and make it feel important. Dramatic and surreal lyrics can be cheesy when they're overdone, but they can also elevate something when done well - either way it seems like Moore has been the only member of Dream Theater who didn't write lyrics with the grace of a livejournal entry.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I liked the unnecessary swearing in As I Am. It was pretty drat metal/aggressive of them.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

het posted:

The Mirror's lyrics were actually written by Portnoy. :ssh: Which is why those lyrics are sorta a precursor to the "12 Step Suite" thing he was doing around the time of SDOIT through BC&SL.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

NuclearPotato posted:

Which is why those lyrics are sorta a precursor to the "12 Step Suite" thing he was doing around the time of SDOIT through BC&SL.

Oh man I forgot about this wank. I really hated that poo poo.

SFAM is a stunningly good album and I actually reckon the lyrics are okay. Mostly because I like the story of it. Everything else that they've done registers about a 7\10 on the scale of awesome.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Have any of you guys heard of God of Atheists? I just became aware of this band, I don't know if they're new or what. If you don't feel like clicking that link it's a band featuring Trym, Ihsahn and ICS Vortex. They don't seem to have any music yet but it looks like a cool future thing.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's a really bad name and makes me think of like, an Atheist cover band or something.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

A who's who of Norwegian has-beens!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Ihsahn still owns sorry.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
God of atheists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umVyjrV9w6I

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Misogynist posted:

A who's who of Norwegian has-beens!

Asgeir Mickelson writes for this band, so you better shut your loving mouth.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

muike posted:

Ihsahn still owns sorry.

Same goes for ICS Vortex. That was a pretty bad post.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Olibu posted:

Same goes for ICS Vortex. That was a pretty bad post.

Anyone who says ICS Vortex sucks hasn't heard the newest Borknagar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHYl77IGMwo

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Everything about God of Athiests sucks including every post since they were mentioned. :colbert:

and this post sucks just for having the name in it

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 19, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gorilla Radio posted:

Anyone who says ICS Vortex sucks hasn't heard the newest Borknagar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHYl77IGMwo

Been there, done that, bored already.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Let's take a moment and remember when Borknagar was loving awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koa70caC6H4

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Gorilla Radio posted:

I don't think anyone has said Vortex sucks (yet). I think his best work is at least a decade behind him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Misogynist posted:

I don't think anyone has said Vortex sucks (yet). I think his best work is at least a decade behind him.

Yeah, he still has to release another Lamented Souls album. :colbert: