Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I was hoping someone else would notice that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

With the safety on (and of course after triple checking the chamber and the magazine were empty),I rode the slide home, apparently it stopped before going all the way forward and de-cocking. I can make it do this every time. A gentle nudge to the back of the slide at that point snaps the slide home and decocks it. Is this abnormal behavior?

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

GEEKABALL posted:

With the safety on (and of course after triple checking the chamber and the magazine were empty),I rode the slide home, apparently it stopped before going all the way forward and de-cocking. I can make it do this every time. A gentle nudge to the back of the slide at that point snaps the slide home and decocks it. Is this abnormal behavior?

When you ease the slide home, you're preventing the gun from going into battery. On an empty chamber with no cartridge, this won't be a problem, but make sure you don't do that on a live round and then try to shoot it. If the 92FS isn't designed to prevent it, you'll cause an out-of-battery explosion that will make for hurts.

So when you slingshot the gun or rack the slide, don't slowly ride it home if you wanna shoot it.

edit: hurp duh, of course the 92 can't fire that way

SadWhaleFamily fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 26, 2011

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

If you ride the slide home with the safety on, it can catch at the decocking mechanism, just short of being in battery. The gun won't fire that way for two reasons - one, it's out of battery, and two, the safety is on.

If you have the gun out of battery with the safety on, you can as you noted give it a nudge to push it the rest of the way forward, at which point the decocking mechanism will trip and the hammer will fall (over the disconnected firing pin as it was designed to do).

I don't have any scientific evidence either way, but to me it feels rougher on the gun to drop the slide with the safety on. I prefer to have the safety off, chamber a round, and then decock.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

If you ride the slide home with the safety on, it can catch at the decocking mechanism, just short of being in battery. The gun won't fire that way for two reasons - one, it's out of battery, and two, the safety is on.

If you have the gun out of battery with the safety on, you can as you noted give it a nudge to push it the rest of the way forward, at which point the decocking mechanism will trip and the hammer will fall (over the disconnected firing pin as it was designed to do).

I don't have any scientific evidence either way, but to me it feels rougher on the gun to drop the slide with the safety on. I prefer to have the safety off, chamber a round, and then decock.

This is about what I figured, thanks for the reassurance. I'm glad my sweetheart didn't get a broken gun. She had shot my .38 and my 9mm guns before, but she did not enjoy them, and would always go back to the MarkIII. But when she shot a borrowed 92FS a few months back, she loved it, and I was determined to get her one for Christmas. I found this one in a local pawn shop, and it appeared to be drat near new, so I got it for her.

Nutbladder
May 16, 2011

I think I just drooled on my keyboard a little bit.

Bought an 85 Cheetah at a local gun shop a few weeks back for $350. To my knowledge that's an awesome deal. It had been well taken care of by it's previous owner too, so it wasn't falling apart or anything.

One question though: I don't see any obvious markings indicating that this pistol is anything other than a base model 85, there is no F or FS designation in the model name, but it has a squared off combat trigger guard and the newer decocker safety thing. I thought the base models had the round trigger guards and regular safety. Am I missing something, or is it just marked goofy??

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

At the very least, if it's got the squared off trigger guard, it's an F. It should say on the frame "85F" or "85FS." Check the left and right sides of the forward part of the frame.

Nutbladder
May 16, 2011

I think I just drooled on my keyboard a little bit.

That's what I thought, but the closest thing I have to an indicator is the serial number, which starts with an F. Other than that, the only marks I see are the proof stamps, the mark for 1996 year of manufacture, and "85 Cheetah - Cal.9 Short" on the front-right of the frame, and the serial on the front-left. It's bizarre, but you're right, I'm sure it's at least an F.

I'm loving it too, by the way. Fits my hand beautifully, and shoots great. I got a holster for christmas, so it'll be good for concealed carry when I finally get off my rear end and get the permit.

One of my friends also noticed that when holding it by the barrel and looping your index finger through the trigger guard, it has the perfect dimensions to be used like a tiny club. I don't know how or why I'd ever really need to do that, but it's kind of neat.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I refuse to believe that Gary Larson's Far Side comic about the guy who was "handy with a gun" does not exist on the Internet.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Has anyone here tried Ceiner's Beretta .22 conversion? I know he's a massive dick, but for $200 I'm tempted (as long as he stays out of jail), plus I'd have something I could thread for a suppressor.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=267241059

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

IuniusBrutus posted:

Has anyone here tried Ceiner's Beretta .22 conversion? I know he's a massive dick, but for $200 I'm tempted (as long as he stays out of jail), plus I'd have something I could thread for a suppressor.

There's word that Beretta is going to do a run of their own kits in January. The stock page here switched over to "Limited Availability January 2012". I have my email in there as a hopeful. If you're not in a hurry it might be something to keep a lazy eye on.

Juice
Jun 19, 2002

10 pages without an Italian made Inox? wtf

I won't lie...the OD coated one is the tits and I've had some thoughts...

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Here's a stupid question: I'm practicing with my 92FS for some IPSC goodness. I've got this ingrained reaction to release the slide like a normal person: by grasping the top of the slide in my hand and pulling to the rear and letting go. However, I've got this really neat way of putting it on safe about a third of the time. Is there any trick to it besides "be careful," "use the slide release," or "lol slide mounted safety buy a Glock"?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

The slingshot method has worked pretty well for me. There's still a small chance you might hit the safety, but you have a lot more control over where your fingers are in relation to the safety.

Also, that's why they make G versions. And D versions, I suppose.

Juice
Jun 19, 2002

Learn to use the slide release. It's faster in competition.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Juice posted:

Learn to use the slide release. It's faster in competition.

pfh. Gamer.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

IuniusBrutus posted:

pfh. Gamer.

Right-handed gamer, no less.

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

infrared35 posted:

Right-handed gamer, no less.

Correct-handed

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

The French word for right hand is man-twat.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mad Dragon posted:

The French word for right hand is main droit.
FTFY
The German term for 'excess weight gained due to overeating for emotional reasons' is 'kummerspeck' (literally, 'grief-bacon').

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Both languages are the products of smelly barbarians who wear pants, so I fail to see why it matters.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

FTFY
I was spelling it phonetically, for the people who aren't in their right mind. Nobody really cares how French words are spelled.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I keep seeing an ad for a Dawson rail that attaches to a standard Beretta 92 frame. I assume this drills through the bottom of the dust cover? Or does it attach in a non-destructive way?

Please tell me its the second.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Juice posted:

I won't lie...the OD coated one is the tits and I've had some thoughts...
Mine was done by the fine folks at Southridge Arms. Beretta made some OD green 92FS models as a factory option, but Beretta uses different metal for the slide and frames of their guns and it affects the tone of the finish applied, so it came out two different shades of green. I found one in person and didn't like it at all, so I bought a black one and had it refinished instead. When SR Arms did my gun, they parkerized it first so the slide and frame would have the same base and the OD green would match. They also did my magazine floorplates!

Factory OD Beretta. The slide is more of a forest green and the frame is more olive.

My ~kickin' rad~ refinished Beretta. The slide and frame match and the floorplates are refinished, too.

click for huuuuuge (still has the old grip panels in this shot)

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

IuniusBrutus posted:

I keep seeing an ad for a Dawson rail that attaches to a standard Beretta 92 frame. I assume this drills through the bottom of the dust cover? Or does it attach in a non-destructive way?

Please tell me its the second.

The Dawson rail looks like a drill and tap job, but there are other options..

Juice
Jun 19, 2002

Carbohydrates posted:

My ~kickin' rad~ refinished Beretta. The slide and frame match and the floorplates are refinished, too.

Yea, your 92 owns. Looks much better than the factory OD option.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Carbohydrates posted:

My ~kickin' rad~ refinished Beretta.

oh my goddddddddd

Seeing your refinished Beretta always makes me want to get mine ODed, but then I realize that I'd just be a lame poseur

why you always gotta be so classy, carbohydrates

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

It has no holster wear.

I hate because I love

Risky
May 18, 2003

Some awesome guy turned his beretta into the one from resident evil.

http://kotaku.com/5873038/this-guy-modded-a-real-gun

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Risky posted:

Wow I want so many bad things to happen to this guy.

DakianDelomast
Mar 5, 2003

DJExile posted:

Wow I want so many bad things to happen to this guy.

I don't know he's a bit out there but he isn't theWOAH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT THING ON HIS HEAD.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Since I was having failures to extract with my 92, I replaced the extractor spring and pin. Today, I shot 108 rounds of Silver Bear out of it to test the new spring.

Three failures to extract

Guess I'll just have to stick with brass-cased ammo, although the one FTE with Winchester Cheapobox my brother had while shooting it makes me worry a little.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Risky posted:

man that guy is a retard.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Risky posted:

I like this one a lot more. Brigadier slide, full S.T.A.R.S. engraving, correct sights, lack of douchey looking hair/outfit, it's got everything.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I like this one a lot more. Brigadier slide, full S.T.A.R.S. engraving, correct sights, lack of douchey looking hair/outfit, it's got everything.

Honestly I'd just want the grips if anything, the slide is a little tacky looking.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

So I finally got a 9mm: an NIB Beretta M9A1 that I got a good price on from Bud's. I had tried one at a shooting range recently and I liked firing it, so when I saw this one I did some research and ended up buying it. I'll have to take it out to the range next week and do some shooting.
When I went to the FFL to pick it up, I saw that he had a 12 ga. Beretta 686 30" O/U in nice condition for sale with a reasonable price, selling it on consignment. I put a down payment on it, I'll have to verify how much they're willing to flex on price. Hopefully I can do a family portrait next week or so and report on how things go.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

You are off to a running start.

Now go buy a bunch of 18 round Mec-Gar mags.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Are there any differences between F and FS models other than the enlarged hammer pin? Can the F models still take the same parts otherwise?

edit: did we determine if Checkmate GI magaziens are garbage or good?

edit2: see below

edit3:

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juice
Jun 19, 2002

IuniusBrutus posted:

edit2: Carbohydrates fuuuuuuccck who did the refinishing on it?

Carbohydrates posted:

Mine was done by the fine folks at Southridge Arms.

Seriously?