Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

Kommienzuspadt posted:

man that guy is a retard.

Those are far, far better than the one Zombiegristle on Arfcom and the Beretta forums did with a 90-Two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

IuniusBrutus posted:

Are there any differences between F and FS models other than the enlarged hammer pin? Can the F models still take the same parts otherwise?

Most parts interchange. Just keep in mind that the FS model requires grips that are cut out for the larger hammer pin, and the slide needs to be cut out for the larger pin as well.

quote:

edit: did we determine if Checkmate GI magaziens are garbage or good?

They're okay for range mags, but factory mags and Mec-Gars are much, much better.

Edit: And "MGS" mags are good, too.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 8, 2012

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

infrared35 posted:

They're okay for range mags, but factory mags and Mec-Gars are much, much better.

Edit: And "MGS" mags are good, too.

Where is the cheapest place to get the Mec-Gars? Their site has them for $35 for the 18-rounders, and $30 for the 15, but I feel like I've seen them cheaper than that.

edit: looks like CDNN has 18-roudners for $27

stangman
Mar 13, 2003

Sten Freak posted:

I've always been a fan of the 92FS, if for no other reason than Riggs and Lethal Weapon viewing during my formative years.

Same here. No other handgun will ever look as awesome as a 92FS to me, it's like hard-coded into my brain. A 92FS was my first handgun, and I still shoot better with it than with anything else I have.

Had this setup for a while, but I've since sold the .22 kit. :( 92FS slide on top, 96G centurian, and .22 on the bottom.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

IuniusBrutus posted:

Where is the cheapest place to get the Mec-Gars? Their site has them for $35 for the 18-rounders, and $30 for the 15, but I feel like I've seen them cheaper than that.

edit: looks like CDNN has 18-roudners for $27

$23.99 each with $5 flat rate shipping

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Top Gun Supply also has everything in stock - $24 for the 18s, $29 for the 20s. I don't know what their shipping is but I've ordered from them before and it's reasonable.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

stangman posted:

Same here. No other handgun will ever look as awesome as a 92FS to me, it's like hard-coded into my brain. A 92FS was my first handgun, and I still shoot better with it than with anything else I have.

Had this setup for a while, but I've since sold the .22 kit. :( 92FS slide on top, 96G centurian, and .22 on the bottom.

Did you like your .22 kit? Who is the manufacturer? I'd be down with spending $200 on a Ceiner kit (so long as he isn't in the clink already), but for the $350 for the Beretta one I'd rather have a Kadet kit for my CZ.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

infrared35 posted:

Top Gun Supply also has everything in stock - $24 for the 18s, $29 for the 20s. I don't know what their shipping is but I've ordered from them before and it's reasonable.

TGS shows $9.95 shipping for me, which means that unless you want more than five mags (the current admittedly low inventory for 44Mag) you'll save $5 in shipping with 44Mag. They also have $28.99 20-round Mec-Gars and $39.99 factory 30-rounders that fall under the same $5 flat rate shipping. But I live in Ohio and have to pay tax if I order from TGS, which affects my decision on where to buy a little.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Thanks - I'll pick up a couple of round mec-gar, and then fill them out with cheap Checkmate ones for range use.

Can I put any Beretta 92 upper on a D frame? Is the fit universal enough to work? Or does it have to be a D upper, or even worse, a D upper that was fitted to that gun?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

IuniusBrutus posted:

Thanks - I'll pick up a couple of round mec-gar, and then fill them out with cheap Checkmate ones for range use.

Can I put any Beretta 92 upper on a D frame? Is the fit universal enough to work? Or does it have to be a D upper, or even worse, a D upper that was fitted to that gun?

If it's an FS upper, it should go right on a D frame. Then you'd have a DAO with a slide safety.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

infrared35 posted:

If it's an FS upper, it should go right on a D frame. Then you'd have a DAO with a slide safety.

I know it'd be pretty :downs:, but I can't find a drat D-model that isn't a Centurion to save my life, and my spare SA/DA frame could be used for a .22 kit or .40 upper or something.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Centurions are okay. :goleft:

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

IuniusBrutus posted:

Did you like your .22 kit? Who is the manufacturer? I'd be down with spending $200 on a Ceiner kit (so long as he isn't in the clink already), but for the $350 for the Beretta one I'd rather have a Kadet kit for my CZ.

Here is a kit for $149
http://www.summitgunbroker.com/22_conversion__.html
Sorry to your wallet.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

IR35^^^

That's the first Vertec I've seen that I liked. The light hanging off the bottom and shorter barrel make it look pretty decent.

rifles posted:

Here is a kit for $149
Sorry to your wallet.

You bastard. Just used his order form and emailed him. I WILL have one. For $149, even if it doesn't work well enough for my tastes, I can probably get my money back. If it works well, I'm getting this bitch threaded.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

rifles posted:

Here is a kit for $149
Sorry to your wallet.

Everybody sucks. I was just getting Christmas paid off. :(

IuniusBrutus posted:

You bastard. Just used his order form and emailed him. I WILL have one.

The order form on the web site isn't secure. :ohdear:

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 8, 2012

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

:saddowns: :saddowns: :saddowns:

Didn't even think to check, but no, it really isn't. I've only ever called in orders for them before. Oh well. Time to look out for itunes charges followed by $4000 orders for Vietnamese prostitutes.

At least he got it and its shipping tomorrow - time to start looking for a cheap frame, now.

SevenSixTwoX39
Jun 28, 2009

Capitalism has triumphed all over the world, but this triumph is only the prelude to the triumph of labour over capital.

Juice posted:

Learn to use the slide release. It's faster in competition.

Are there really people that don't do this?

edit: nvm missed the above post.

SevenSixTwoX39 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 9, 2012

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I only use my slide stop to lock the slide open. :colbert:

stangman
Mar 13, 2003

IuniusBrutus posted:

It was the beretta one. I see you got that ceiner, but anyway I didn't really like it. I liked the idea of it, but it shot slightly low when fully adjusted. I could have probably tweaked it, but by the time I tried it they were going for ~$325 and I already had a MKII that I love. If they were only $200 I would have kept it though, just to have three calibers in one case.

stangman fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 9, 2012

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Just ordered a conversion kit from Summit. :unsmith:

Sounded like they were going fast.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Double posting to say I got my conversion kit today! That was fast. I ordered it during lunch on Monday, and it got here at lunch on Wednesday. Props to Summit Gunbroker.

Edit: Also, it's definitely used but it appears to be in good mechanical condition. And it does have a firing pin safety, which is potentially important to those of us running DAO guns. :ohdear:

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 12, 2012

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

infrared35 posted:

Double posting to say I got my conversion kit today! That was fast. I ordered it during lunch on Monday, and it got here at lunch on Wednesday. Props to Summit Gunbroker.

Edit: Also, it's definitely used but it appears to be in good mechanical condition. And it does have a firing pin safety, which is potentially important to those of us running DAO guns. :ohdear:

Why is the firing pin safety important?

I WOULD have gotten mine today...if I had given him mailing address. :saddowns:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

IuniusBrutus posted:

Why is the firing pin safety important?

I WOULD have gotten mine today...if I had given him mailing address. :saddowns:

Because on the DAO guns the hammer falls forward with the slide. I would imagine if it was just a free-moving firing pin, that the hammer following the slide home might set off a round. And then maybe another. And another. And maybe you've emptied a 15-round mag of .22 LR with one trigger pull. Or one press of the slide release. :cry:

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

infrared35 posted:

Because on the DAO guns the hammer falls forward with the slide. I would imagine if it was just a free-moving firing pin, that the hammer following the slide home might set off a round. And then maybe another. And another. And maybe you've emptied a 15-round mag of .22 LR with one trigger pull. Or one press of the slide release. :cry:

That. Sounds. Illegal AWESOME

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

I don't have any DOA guns to test this with but I would imagine you have a chance for an OOB ignite since the trigger group is not made to operate like that.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Neo Mara posted:

I don't have any DOA guns to test this with but I would imagine you have a chance for an OOB ignite since the trigger group is not made to operate like that.

The hammer can only contact the firing pin when the slide is all the way forward, no matter whether it's a tradition DA/SA or DAO. So there may be a slight danger of an OOB ignition due to the nature of the rimfire ammo, but not because of the DAO system. Nothing changes about the operation of the trigger mechanism when you install the .22 conversion kit.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

cross post from .22 thread:

Just got my Ceiner Beretta .22 kit in today as well. Going to shoot it Sunday, hopefully.

First: Does anyone know where exactly the little rubber disk thing on the recoil spring is supposed to be put?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

IuniusBrutus posted:

cross post from .22 thread:

Just got my Ceiner Beretta .22 kit in today as well. Going to shoot it Sunday, hopefully.

First: Does anyone know where exactly the little rubber disk thing on the recoil spring is supposed to be put?

I just put it in the middle of the spring and figured it'll get where it needs to be on its own, kind of like the delrin bushing on a USPc/P2000 recoil spring assembly.

Edit: The "instructions" on Ceiner's web site don't mention anything about the bushing, and the photo they have of the conversion has it sitting about in the middle of the spring.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 14, 2012

Goldfinger
Aug 6, 2006

Is $230 a good price for a tomcat in .32? It looks like it is in good condition with 1 magazine. I'm interested in it for plinking and maybe CCW if I do decide to get a license. I heard something about some slide cracking problems with tomcats but I don't know how prevalent those issues have been, is there anything else I need to be aware of regarding this model?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Bruniton coated, or stainless? It seems that the Inox pistols had the reputation for breakage.

Anyway, there are a few things to keep in mind with a Tomcat:

- There is no extractor, and that puts some people off. I don't mind, personally.

- Hot loads should be avoided and were the cause of most cracked guns.

- If you shoot cartridges with a shorter OAL than average ball, you should make sure rimlock won't become an issue.

- The mag release was made to be worked with your support hand. This keeps the release well-protected and you shouldn't have a problem with self-ejecting mags in your pocket, but it is different from most pistols.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 15, 2012

Goldfinger
Aug 6, 2006

Butch Cassidy posted:

Bruniton coated, or stainless?

Pretty sure it was coated.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

If you can pop the slide off and check the frame for cracks/damage and it looks okay, I would go for it. The price is fair.

They are very easy to field-strip:

- Pop the barrel up and rotate it all the way forward.

- Pull up the front of the slide and it will slip forward off the rear nubs.

Goldfinger
Aug 6, 2006

Butch Cassidy posted:

They are very easy to field-strip:

- Pop the barrel up and rotate it all the way forward.

- Pull up the front of the slide and it will slip forward off the rear nubs.

If you can pop the slide off and check the frame for cracks/damage and it looks okay, I would go for it. The price is fair.

Cool, thank you. I'm going to go take another look at the frame tomorrow if they are open. Might have a new Beretta by tomorrow night :haw:

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Range Report on my .22 Ceiner kit for my Beretta:

Shot pretty well. Only ran about 100 rounds of Federal bulk through it - had one FTF, and one FTE resulting in a double feed. Otherwise, everything seems solid. Dry fired it a few times because the slide doesn't have a last-round hold open, which is irritating. The sights kinda suck on them, but nevertheless I was still shooting just as good as my Ruger at close range. Recoil is laughable, even for a .22 pistol.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

IuniusBrutus posted:

Range Report on my .22 Ceiner kit for my Beretta:

Shot pretty well. Only ran about 100 rounds of Federal bulk through it - had one FTF, and one FTE resulting in a double feed. Otherwise, everything seems solid. Dry fired it a few times because the slide doesn't have a last-round hold open, which is irritating. The sights kinda suck on them, but nevertheless I was still shooting just as good as my Ruger at close range. Recoil is laughable, even for a .22 pistol.

:toot:

Don't know when I'll get a chance to fire mine, but I will try it with some different ammo.

M1A1
Oct 21, 2010

Crossposting from the TFR Photo Thread, here is a Beretta of a different flavour.

The Iraqi Tariq, a licensed copy of the older model Beretta M1951. Named after the famous Muslim general Tariq ibn Ziyad. The last picture is an inscription from Saddam Hussein.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

You got me looking around gunbroker for Berettas, and I found a good deal on an 84F.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

infrared35 posted:

You got me looking around gunbroker for Berettas, and I found a good deal on an 84F.

There is a soft, money-lacking spot in my heart for gcolecoledist on gunbroker.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

SadWhaleFamily posted:

There is a soft, money-lacking spot in my heart for gcolecoledist on gunbroker.

drat, he's got a 92F Compact for $299. :stare:

Granted, the finish is terrible and it only comes with a ten-round mag, but still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

So I've never heard of this before, but I think I want one.