Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

They made them in 32 ACP and 22 LR, as well. And you do need one, they are ergonomic as all hell and shoot great.

The 70 series was introduced to phase out the old Puma line (post-war commercial 1934s and 1935s):

The safety was moved to a proper 1911-style position, the grips were upgraded, the ergonomics improved, and the mag release made a button on the heel rather than a clip. Depending on year, the sights are a tad better, as well.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hey Beretta thread. Talk to me about Taurus PT92s. (I have an unholy love of frame safeties.)

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

OWLS! posted:

Hey Beretta thread. Talk to me about Taurus PT92s. (I have an unholy love of frame safeties.)

They're okay but, like all things Taurus, quality varies. Magazines are a lot harder to find. Some Beretta holsters will fit, some won't. The grips are a lot chunkier. The finish isn't as nice.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Butch Cassidy posted:

Or the Beretta thread. :smug::smug: You unworthy bastard.

So just FYI, I've got a BM59 (without a giggle switch, of course) headed my way.

:smug:

Along the lines of Beretta rifles, here is a thing I found on gunbroker that someone should totally buy.

Question about the 70 series...the one I posted had a 1911 style safety, which I get, but how the hell does the safety on one like this work? A button safety? Button decocker?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

iyaayas01 posted:

Question about the 70 series...the one I posted had a 1911 style safety, which I get, but how the hell does the safety on one like this work? A button safety? Button decocker?

Pretty sure it's a cross-bolt safety like on an 870.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

A button safety?

Yes, you tag it to the right with your thumb to take it off. It looks wonky and is sub-optimal, but is much better than the old 180 degree safeties over the trigger like the 1934 at the top of the page. It is also a bit easier to use than you would imagine.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

OWLS! posted:

You should just try to find an original Beretta 92 from the 70s. They have the frame-mounted safety, and the PT92s are licensed copies of them. (I think they even moved the original machinery to Brazil to make them?)

They're surprisingly affordable when you find them.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

So, I want to get a pistol when I turn 21 in a few months. I really, really want to get a Beretta (some kind of 9mm, probably 92 model) because I have loved the look of them since I first saw Die Hard and played Max Payne. The ammo is cheap, they are supposed to be sturdy as a rock, they can hold 15 rounds in a mag, and oh my god did I mention that they are so gorgeous?

I have never fired one, because I don't know anyone who owns one and I've never seen one at the range. I've been warned that some people don't like to shoot them, why is that? If I were to buy one used, what kind of price should I expect? 550 for one in good quality? Is there anything I should check for when I inspect a potential purchase? What models might I like (besides 92FS)?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Slappy Moose posted:

So, I want to get a pistol when I turn 21 in a few months. I really, really want to get a Beretta (some kind of 9mm, probably 92 model) because I have loved the look of them since I first saw Die Hard and played Max Payne. The ammo is cheap, they are supposed to be sturdy as a rock, they can hold 15 rounds in a mag, and oh my god did I mention that they are so gorgeous?

I have never fired one, because I don't know anyone who owns one and I've never seen one at the range. I've been warned that some people don't like to shoot them, why is that? If I were to buy one used, what kind of price should I expect? 550 for one in good quality? Is there anything I should check for when I inspect a potential purchase? What models might I like (besides 92FS)?

Paging IR35 to the Beretta thread -

They have huge grip circumferences, are fairly heavy, and have (typically) are SA/DA with a slide safety. Those are the main reason why people wouldn't like to shoot one...on the flip side, they tend to point well, and are very smooth and soft shooting guns. Holsters, magazines, and parts are everywhere for them as well.

$550 is nearly too much for a new one, let alone a used - you can get used police trade-ins for around $350 if you're patient, and I see used civilian ones in very good shape for around $400 all the time on Gunbroker. In addition to the FS, there is also the older F model, the double action only D model, and the G model which is exactly the same as an FS, but the safety is a decocker-only. There are also compacts (smaller frame and slide) and Centurion models (shorter slide) around too - there seems to be a bunch of Centurions floating around right now, and they are pretty neat. I saw a M9A1 (light rail, different backstrap, heavier slide, other updates) sit around on GB for $450 buy it now for several weeks before someone picked it up, which was a pretty good deal, so they are out there too.

Police trade-in. They have some even cheaper than this, and supposedly they aren't bad to deal with: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=270010546

Little bit more expensive 92G, but looks to be in great shape: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=270258473

edit: I know you mentioned you wanted a .22 pistol as well...you can get .22 conversion kits for Beretta. Supposedly, Beretta USA might be doing a run of the factory kits, but they cost $350...Ceiner made kits too, which were $200. If you can find a used one, they tend to run for that price still. I just got one and absolutely love it.

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 19, 2012

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Slappy Moose posted:

Why you might not like them -

1. (many) models have slide mounted safeties/decockers, which I think is a pain in the rear end and gets in the way of what, to me, is more efficient operation, in an economics of motion sense.

2. Heavy and long rear end DA trigger. Hope you have large hands or at least a long, strong index finger.

3. On the model 92s the front sight post is part of the slide and is just a steel post, so installing night sights involves sending it to a smith to have them drilled and a tritium tube somehow affixed in.This is not the case of the M9A1 models that are out there now, which have a dovetail that you use to install tritium night sights.

4. They are SA/DA guns which takes the out of the run for me because I don't like pulling the trigger of my pistol to feel different between shots, for any reason. Some people don't think it's a big deal. YMMV.

5. Too large to carry concealed unless you are a larger dude or regularly wear thick jackets.

Honestly if literally your only plans is to literally take it to the range, punch holes in paper, and leave, then it's perfectly fine. I would recommend a used police model as they are cheaper and can be had for 350-400 or so.

However if you want to carry it/use it for home defense/shoot any of the action pistol sports with it (IDPA/IPSC) then maybe consider something else. That isn't to say that you CAN'T do any of those things with the Beretta, but there are parts about its design (particularly the old 92s, not so much the M9A1) that do not lend itself to doing these things particularly well. Think about these things before you are sold on it.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

IuniusBrutus posted:

Paging IR35 to the Beretta thread -
This is all awesome information. I had to look up some of the terms you used (hurr durr pistuls), but it's very good to know I could get one for 350 or 400 easily, since my local gunstore wants like 600 for their used ones.

Also if I was going to get a 22 pistol it would be a revolver. Just too much cowboy fun, without the expense of .40 or .38 or whatever.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Why you might not like them -

1. I don't really understand this fully since I've never shot one, so I'll be sure to try and test one out before I ever buy it.

2. This doesn't really bother me. I don't have particularly huge hands (bigger than most people, I guess) but I've held 92s and it definitely felt comfortable.

3. I'm not too worried about night sights. It would mostly be a range pistol, and I'm used to firing blued iron sights.

4. I don't really understand this part either. Again, I'll just have to shoot it and decide for myself.

5. I don't care about size. I'm not planning on carrying (at least not for a while) so this isn't much of a problem.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

A rebuttal by way of agreement:

Kommienzuspadt posted:

1. (many) models have slide mounted safeties/decockers, which I think is a pain in the rear end and gets in the way of what, to me, is more efficient operation, in an economics of motion sense.

This is true. All other things being equal, I'd rather have a gun without a slide safety. The G models sort of addressed this in that it's a decocker and not a safety, but the location is still not ideal. But for me the Beretta has enough positives that I don't mind the safety placement.

quote:

2. Heavy and long rear end DA trigger. Hope you have large hands or at least a long, strong index finger.

Also true, but it can be alleviated easily by swapping in the hammer spring from a D series gun. That'll bring the DA pull from about fifteen pounds down to about seven or eight. It's still long, but it's reasonably light, and it's smooth.

quote:

3. On the model 92s the front sight post is part of the slide and is just a steel post, so installing night sights involves sending it to a smith to have them drilled and a tritium tube somehow affixed in.This is not the case of the M9A1 models that are out there now, which have a dovetail that you use to install tritium night sights.

Again, this is true. But the Brigadiers also have replaceable front sights.

quote:

4. They are SA/DA guns which takes the out of the run for me because I don't like pulling the trigger of my pistol to feel different between shots, for any reason. Some people don't think it's a big deal. YMMV.

Also true. I'm one of those who doesn't mind the DA to SA transition. If I'm shooting slowly for marksmanship, I can cock the hammer for the first shot. If I'm shooting quickly as in IDPA or IPSC, I don't even notice the length or weight of that first pull, and the shot always goes where I want it, i.e. on the "bad guy" even out to ten or fifteen yards. Longer than that, I do have to slow down a little and pay closer attention to my sight alignment through that first trigger pull.

quote:

5. Too large to carry concealed unless you are a larger dude or regularly wear thick jackets.

I've regularly carried various fullsize Berettas under an untucked shirt. OWB, no less. It comes down to a good belt and a good holster. I'm 5'11" and about 190, for what it's worth.

quote:

Honestly if literally your only plans is to literally take it to the range, punch holes in paper, and leave, then it's perfectly fine. I would recommend a used police model as they are cheaper and can be had for 350-400 or so.

Agreed.

quote:

However if you want to carry it/use it for home defense/shoot any of the action pistol sports with it (IDPA/IPSC) then maybe consider something else. That isn't to say that you CAN'T do any of those things with the Beretta, but there are parts about its design (particularly the old 92s, not so much the M9A1) that do not lend itself to doing these things particularly well. Think about these things before you are sold on it.

There are lots of options out there. But if you like the design of the Beretta and it feels good in your hand (and you can find a good deal on one), I say go for it.

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Slappy Moose posted:

This is all awesome information. I had to look up some of the terms you used (hurr durr pistuls), but it's very good to know I could get one for 350 or 400 easily, since my local gunstore wants like 600 for their used ones.

Also if I was going to get a 22 pistol it would be a revolver. Just too much cowboy fun, without the expense of .40 or .38 or whatever.

1. I don't really understand this fully since I've never shot one, so I'll be sure to try and test one out before I ever buy it.

2. This doesn't really bother me. I don't have particularly huge hands (bigger than most people, I guess) but I've held 92s and it definitely felt comfortable.

3. I'm not too worried about night sights. It would mostly be a range pistol, and I'm used to firing blued iron sights.

4. I don't really understand this part either. Again, I'll just have to shoot it and decide for myself.

5. I don't care about size. I'm not planning on carrying (at least not for a while) so this isn't much of a problem.

1 and 4 are related so I'll take a stab at explaining them for you.

in a SA/DA OR DA/SA pistol there are two modes of the trigger. When the hammer is forward and down it is in double action mode which in a 92 actually pushes the trigger as far away from the grip as possible creating a long and heavy pull that is cocking(moving the hammer back and up from the firing pin striker) until the trigger "breaks" which releases the hammer allowing it to fall forward/down impacting the striker which ignites the primer and fires the round. When the slide recoils backward it recocks the hammer leaving it back and up, reseting the trigger closer to the grip and only requiring a short light pull(SA) as opposed to a long heavy one with each subsequent pull of the trigger. The safety/decocker in the 92F/92FS rotates the striker 90 degrees up while releasing the hammer without pulling the trigger so that it falls down/forward without firing. At this point the hammer can fall as many times as your heart desires and the pistol will not fire unless the safety lever is disengaged. On a 92G the Decocking lever merely decocks the hammer but if you pull the trigger the weapon will still fire.

Clear as mud?

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Flikken posted:

Clear as mud?
That clears it up. I was pretty sure I knew what the problem would be with a transition between SA and DA but I wasn't totally sure. I doubt that would bother me, and the decocker thing doesn't sound like something I'd have an issue with.

Now I really can't wait to turn 21, gonna git drunk an shot all da boolits

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Slappy Moose posted:

That clears it up. I was pretty sure I knew what the problem would be with a transition between SA and DA but I wasn't totally sure. I doubt that would bother me, and the decocker thing doesn't sound like something I'd have an issue with.

Now I really can't wait to turn 21, gonna git drunk an shot all da boolits

At the range it will literally have zero effect on you, so go for it. They also make double action only Berettas too, which I have a mad lust for myself.

Also, just bought 9 magazines for $90. loving awesome (even if only half work right!)

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Slappy Moose posted:

Absolutely valid points, I don't mean to actually tell you NOT to buy a Beretta, but just to give you a counter argument.

Definitely put a few rounds through one if you can. It's also hard to appreciate what you might like and dislike in your guns. The good news is that, especially if you buy used, you can usually put a gun on consignment and basically trade up or down with pretty minimal loss (relatively speaking). So if you really decide you want night sights in the future for whatever reason you can always flip the beretta for a M9A1, or another gun entirely. They are by no means bad pistols.

Also, re: #2, keep in mind that just being able to reach the trigger doesn't mean you can pull all 12+ lbs or whatever of it to the rear smooth enough to keep your sights aligned. You really should shoot one alongside a few other 9mm pistols as a means of comparison before you decide you really want the gun.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Also, re: #2, keep in mind that just being able to reach the trigger doesn't mean you can pull all 12+ lbs or whatever of it to the rear smooth enough to keep your sights aligned. You really should shoot one alongside a few other 9mm pistols as a means of comparison before you decide you really want the gun.

The DA pull on a Beretta is what I credit with making me a great pistol shot. If you can't keep the sights aligned durring the pull, your form is wrong.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

For what it's worth, if you never use the safety/decocker, you never have to worry about the DA trigger. The only thing you have to worry about the SA trigger is the approximately half-inch of travel before it engages the sear :v:

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Neo Mara posted:

The DA pull on a Beretta is what I credit with making me a great pistol shot. If you can't keep the sights aligned durring the pull, your form is wrong.

I have small hands and cannot get enough finger around the trigger to make pulling it straight backwards without disturbing sight alignment a realistic task.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

^^^ Vertec? ^^^

Kommienzuspadt posted:

There are people that still aren't using D-springs? :monocle:

Also, if you're thinking Berettas and aren't married to 92s, my PX4 has had a somewhat better trigger out of the box than most 92s I've handled or shot. I don't know if I got a good one or something, but it's a bit crisper in SA and the DA pull feels a little lighter to me. When I bought it I figured DA was one of those things you just dealt with to get to SA, but I actually ended up liking the DA trigger because it's so good at making you pay attention.

Anarcho-Commissar
May 22, 2002

"The means of production being the collective work of humanity, the product should be the collective property of the race. Individual appropriation is neither just nor serviceable. All belongs to all."
- Pyotr Kropotkin

My new toy:

Anarcho-Commissar fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 24, 2012

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I like you. Now go slip in a D spring.

Anarcho-Commissar
May 22, 2002

"The means of production being the collective work of humanity, the product should be the collective property of the race. Individual appropriation is neither just nor serviceable. All belongs to all."
- Pyotr Kropotkin

Just ordered one, actually.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I put the skeletonized hammer in my 92, keeping the stock spring. I don't know if it's placebo effect or not, but the DA trigger pull feels smoother.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

Does anyone have experience in moving the rear sight on a 92 FS? Googling returns two simple methods- whacking with a brass punch, or using a special sight adjuster tool. I am asking because our 92FS is shooting consistently to the left, and the rear sight appears to be too far left in it's dovetail. I have no problems using the punch if there is little chance I will damage the gun.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

GEEKABALL posted:

Does anyone have experience in moving the rear sight on a 92 FS? Googling returns two simple methods- whacking with a brass punch, or using a special sight adjuster tool. I am asking because our 92FS is shooting consistently to the left, and the rear sight appears to be too far left in it's dovetail. I have no problems using the punch if there is little chance I will damage the gun.

I had to have a gunsmith move mine. Apparently they're put on with some kind of magical 400 ton press at the factory. It made an impressively loud crack once it gave up against the vice. I'd give it a good try with a brass punch, but based on what I read and my experience it probably won't budge.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

GEEKABALL posted:

Are you 100% sure that it's the gun and not the shooter that is pulling the shots to the left? Sandbag it to be sure before you go whackin at your sights.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Are you 100% sure that it's the gun and not the shooter that is pulling the shots to the left? Sandbag it to be sure before you go whackin at your sights.
I'd say 90% sure. Two shooters (admittedly amateur plinkers) at 50 ft. range with consistently same results, impact at least 12 inches left of aim. I will definitely take it to the 20 ft. range and use sandbags before making any final decision to adjust the sight.

DkHelmet posted:

I had to have a gunsmith move mine. Apparently they're put on with some kind of magical 400 ton press at the factory. It made an impressively loud crack once it gave up against the vice. I'd give it a good try with a brass punch, but based on what I read and my experience it probably won't budge.
Well, I've been looking for an excuse to pick up a set of brass punches, so if I determine that the sight does need adjustment I will probably try to do it myself first. I was wondering if anyone would bring up the official "Beretta Sight Adjustable Tool for 92/96 Series" http://www.berettausa.com/products/rear-sight-adjustable-tool-for-92/96/default.aspx, and whether it was worth the price.
Thanks guys.

OldSquid
May 28, 2007
Flying a plane is just like riding a bike, except it's harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Just spent the last couple of days reading this entire thread.

infrared35 posted:

Centurions are okay. :goleft:

I don't generally like rail mounted lights on pistols, but this is loving gorgeous.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

GEEKABALL posted:

I'd say 90% sure. Two shooters (admittedly amateur plinkers) at 50 ft. range with consistently same results, impact at least 12 inches left of aim. I will definitely take it to the 20 ft. range and use sandbags before making any final decision to adjust the sight.

Well, I've been looking for an excuse to pick up a set of brass punches, so if I determine that the sight does need adjustment I will probably try to do it myself first. I was wondering if anyone would bring up the official "Beretta Sight Adjustable Tool for 92/96 Series" http://www.berettausa.com/products/rear-sight-adjustable-tool-for-92/96/default.aspx, and whether it was worth the price.
Thanks guys.

Sand bag it at 5, 15, and 25 yards to be sure. If you get a consistent increase in the leftwards offset on target then yeah fix that ish up.

Juice
Jun 19, 2002

Test it weak hand and strong hand, or some other way to make sure you're getting a neutral trigger pull each time. I'm sure you know already, but right handed shooters tend to shoot left when first starting out, as their trigger squeeze motion tends to rotation their hand leftward. From the sound of it, it could be that simple.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Sand bag it at 5, 15, and 25 yards to be sure. If you get a consistent increase in the leftwards offset on target then yeah fix that ish up.
This is my plan.

Juice posted:

Test it weak hand and strong hand, or some other way to make sure you're getting a neutral trigger pull each time. I'm sure you know already, but right handed shooters tend to shoot left when first starting out, as their trigger squeeze motion tends to rotation their hand leftward. From the sound of it, it could be that simple.
I am kind of aware of this, from mega-lurking TFR. Won't shooting from my sandbags eliminate this rotation, or should I still switch hands? I may also ask a friend who is much more experienced with pistols to come along on the range trip. I consider myself a noob with auto-loading pistols, but I am fascinated with them. The wife and I started out with a Ruger Mark III, and are just now starting to shoot 9 mm. guns with an eye toward improving our marksmanship.

Anarcho-Commissar
May 22, 2002

- Pyotr Kropotkin

(Trashcan bonus pic)

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

GEEKABALL posted:

This is my plan.

I am kind of aware of this, from mega-lurking TFR. Won't shooting from my sandbags eliminate this rotation, or should I still switch hands? I may also ask a friend who is much more experienced with pistols to come along on the range trip. I consider myself a noob with auto-loading pistols, but I am fascinated with them. The wife and I started out with a Ruger Mark III, and are just now starting to shoot 9 mm. guns with an eye toward improving our marksmanship.

benching it will tell you all you need to know about mechanical accuracy. Shooting SHO and WHO isn't really necessary. It's good for improving your IDPA skillset i guess...

Juice
Jun 19, 2002

Kommienzuspadt posted:

benching it will tell you all you need to know about mechanical accuracy. Shooting SHO and WHO isn't really necessary. It's good for improving your IDPA skillset i guess...

Yea I didn't mean to indicate it was a requirement or something. Just, as you test the gun's accuracy, do everything you can do to eliminate your movement of the sites as you squeeze the trigger. If you can do that via sandbags - great you're set.

99% of the time, the sites on guns are correct and it's the shooter who is off.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Beretta factory .22 conversions for the 92FS just came back in stock for a limited run. If you missed the cheap Ceiner or otherwise dislike his products, here you go. These things are annoying tough to find.

https://www.berettausa.com/products/92-series-22-lr-practice-kit/j9022pk/

Anarcho-Commissar
May 22, 2002

- Pyotr Kropotkin

DkHelmet posted:

Beretta factory .22 conversions for the 92FS just came back in stock for a limited run. If you missed the cheap Ceiner or otherwise dislike his products, here you go. These things are annoying tough to find.

At $370, I could just buy a .22

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

DkHelmet posted:

Already out of stock :(

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

At $370, I could just buy a .22

No you couldn't. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

SadWhaleFamily posted: