Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I'd be all over it for that price were it not for the fact that it'd be for carry, which I doubt is a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

IuniusBrutus posted:

I'd be all over it for that price were it not for the fact that it'd be for carry, which I doubt is a great idea.

How do you mean?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

infrared35 posted:

How do you mean?

I'd rather not carry a semi-rare, semi-expensive pistol that I can't seem to find reasonably priced parts or magazines for.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

IuniusBrutus posted:

I'd rather not carry a semi-rare, semi-expensive pistol that I can't seem to find reasonably priced parts or magazines for.

Ah. Well, what's worse - that, or carrying a $1200 competition revolver for CCW?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

IuniusBrutus posted:

It was built for the explicit purpose of being carried. Do it.

And the mags are on par with P7 mags in price:

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/UD8A0131

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I bought a new thing. It was designed by Beretta and made by Benelli, so it goes here:

A Benelli MR1. OWLS! and I are taking it to the range in a few minutes and a range report of sorts will follow. For now, I can say that the whole thing is
, comfy as hell, and the trigger is loving perfect.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I want one.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Pathetic Range Report:

Got to the range, waited for people to clear out and tried to chamber a round. Didn't go fully into battery, so I tried slapping it in. The round telescoped because of a very discrete breech plug. I did not bring a cleaning rod, tried to use a stick, the stick broke, I cut my knuckle on the muzzle when this happened and had to drive back home to pound the plug out.

It was getting dark when we got back to the range and I had a failure from my complete incompetence in failing to seat the mag. The second mag through ran just fine. I really like the Benelli and plan to see how it runs when not bone dry and plan to make it my bedside gun.

A few points:

- It comes with two rear sights: large and small aperture. Rip out the small one and throw it away because it loving sucks. The large one is a nice ghost-ring.

- Reloading is best treated like it would be in a gun with rock-in mags because of the release setup. Being used to rock-ins, I actually like this.

- The 30 round Lancer locks the bolt back when it runs dry from live fire, but not when the bolt is worked by hand. Edit: The stock 5 round metal mag does lock it back when worked by hand.

- Seriously, the trigger is awesome. A short and light first stage with a crisp, light, glassy break on the second.

- Polymer mags don't slip right in like metal ones do, but the Lancer is getting easier and easier to insert properly as I screw with it in dry firing.

- It is a shotgun. Beretta took the gas system and bolt from the Benelli M4 and scaled it down to make a 5.56 rifle.

Off to order a Vtac sling, ammo, rail, and TLR-1.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 27, 2012

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Dude. That gun loving owns.

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

It looks like a Benelli had sex with a CX4

It is awesome.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

What's the length of pull on that? It looks like the same full-length stock as on the M1 Super 90. Are they offering any shorter (or adjustable) stocks?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

infrared35 posted:

What's the length of pull on that?

About 14"

infrared35 posted:

Are they offering any shorter (or adjustable) stocks?

There is a collapsible stock floating around, but I have never seen them for sale other than the odd one on Ebay. Maybe it has something to do with import/922r stuff?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

About 14"

There is a collapsible stock floating around, but I have never seen them for sale other than the odd one on Ebay. Maybe it has something to do with import/922r stuff?

Probably. I wonder if a 13" Speedfeed IV-S for an M1 Super 90 would fit.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The manual to the MR1 is interesting. The translation from Italian makes for interesting reading. "Use of improperly refilled cartridges."

Anyway, the bolt head/body and certain parts of the trigger pack are to be lubricated while the gas system is kept dry. To fully load the gun +1, the manual instructs the owner to lock the bolt to the rear, drop a round in the chamber, release the bolt, and then insert a loaded mag. I know a bunch of people will freak out about "mah extracur! "

Rearward pressure on the mag will stiffen the release button noticeably, but it is very easy to tag with your support hand thumb to let the mag drop free. If the mag does hang up for whatever reason, your fingers are already there to grab it and rip it out.

I took some lovely pictures while I field-stripped the rifle, anybody interested in me posting them here?

At the next NH Goon shoot, I plan to shoot it back to back with an AR to see if the dropped comb does increase muzzle rise like some people theorize it will. Granted, others swear that the ARGO system makes it even softer shooting than an AR.

Edit: There is a vocal group that insists the take-down nut makes the rifle incompatible with muzzle devices or suppressors. They are full of poo poo. The nut threads onto a swelled portion of the barrel and the manual even depicts bird cages on the muzzles. Some of the bigger ones may prove problematic, but it is a simple matter to bring the nut with you and make sure the muzzle device fits through it before you buy. As for cans, they will need to be removed before field-stripping, but I fail to see the issue there. The muzzle is not threaded, so a trip to the gunsmith would be in order and I don't know how that would affect 922r.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 27, 2012

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

I took some lovely pictures while I field-stripped the rifle, anybody interested in me posting them here?

Yessssss

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Remove the barrel retaining nut which will be noisy clickety clack and rip off the front handguard:

Gas enters the system and hits this little diverter-thingy:

It then starts part one of the system moving rearward:

This part moves with the first to tag the short-stroke pistons:

Yup, pistons, plural. A brace of pistons. Pistons:

Which punch the fish/bug bolt in the face:

The tail on the bolt assembly interfaces with the buffer tube.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

Nice gun. Now post a video!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The only video camera I own that will readily work with a computer is the one on my Motorola Electrify and I am still in the middle of a cold from hell. Once my sling, rail, mags, and TLR-1 come in, I will try a video. There isn't much out there about the MR1 as video goes and almost none of it useful, so it will be worth a shot.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

The back end of that bolt carrier looks a lot like the one on an M1 Super 90; I am really hoping it'll take compatible stocks. The factory stock looks comfy but it also looks way too long.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm 6' 1" with slightly longer than average arms, so I actually find this thing to fit me really well.

I'm looking into the stock question and am finding about 50/50 a shotgun stock will/won't fit. I'll send Benelli an e-mail and just ask them.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Benelli replied that there are no other stocks currently available to fit the MR1 other than the one I have and the Californicated thing. They do sell a smaller recoil pad that will shorten the LOP to 13".

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ohgod that thing is even more than I thought it was. Congratulations, you have my M-17's operating system with double pistons.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

It looks complex part by part, but it is actually delightfully simple. I will take it down farther this weekend which just requires the tip of a 5.56 cartridge to remove the trigger group and disassemble the bolt/bolt-carrier/firing pin.

Reassembly is a touch fiddly the first time as you line a couple things up, but is a snap after that.

My dad swung by yesterday to see the MR1 and almost didn't hand it back to me. He made it clear that I am taking him to the range this week or weekend to let him burn some ammo in it. The sights were dead on every time he shouldered it and led him to rave about Benelli shotguns and how this is just as awesome.

Is there anything specific anyone wants covered in the video/s? I plan to go over re-assembly because the manual is pretty useless for it and there is zero information out there about doing it, outline function with a few different mags (USGI 30 round, Brownell's 20 & 30 round, Lancer L5, Lancer L5 AWM, Pmag), reloads, reviewing the tri-rail adapter, and how well it takes to a Vtac sling.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'll just leave this here.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=275687224

(probably) unfired model 70

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

Butch Cassidy posted:

The sights were dead on every time he shouldered it and led him to rave about Benelli shotguns and how this is just as awesome.

On the subject, is there any reason besides money to not get a bennelli nova? also, what makes the supernova better?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Basticle posted:

I'll just leave this here.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=275687224

(probably) unfired model 70

ffffff

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Basticle posted:

I'll just leave this here...(probably) unfired model 70

Oh my. I am always amazed at what a perfect thing the 1934's baby became.

And Hickok45 reviewed the Beretta Nano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXxpkM7q_2E&list=UUvB3solmhqtgDeLpD-yTtfg&index=7&feature=plcp

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 2, 2012

miklm
Dec 7, 2003

What a cunning fellow.

BeanTaco posted:

On the subject, is there any reason besides money to not get a bennelli nova? also, what makes the supernova better?

Buy one. The Supernova is better with the removable stock and it has the comforttech system. I have the Sn tactical and love it.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I have absolutely no desire for one but Summit has 96Ds up for only $285

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/96D.html

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Basticle posted:

DAO too. Fuuuuuuck summit, why does it have to be in .40?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

IuniusBrutus posted:

It's arguably the only gun that should be in .40.

c'om everybodys BUY

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

IuniusBrutus posted:

I'd love a 9mm version of that

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Mad Dragon posted:

Uuuugh. The 92S HAD the decocker in the right place.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Flikken posted:

I'd love a 9mm version of that

Buy one and then get a 9mm barrel for it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Basticle posted:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Someone give me a few good excuses to justify this to my wife in the morning.

If there are none, a few good excuses for money missing out of our shed fund.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.

he knows...

Butch Cassidy posted:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Someone give me a few good excuses to justify this to my wife in the morning.

If there are none, a few good excuses for money missing out of our shed fund.

Bad reasons:
1. it is .40, 2. it is DAO

Good reasons:
1. Beretta

Anyway, what does Mark charge for shipping? This is one of those almost too good to be true deals.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Bad reasons:
1. it is .40, 2. it is DAO

1. It's like you don't know me at all.

2. I like DAO.

It would also help somewhat satisfy my lust for an old Border Patrol 96D Brigadier. And since I don't like the balance of a Brig. slide as much as a normal one, it would be a bonus.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

Buy one and then get a 9mm barrel for it.

Is this really a thing? If so, how hard is the conversion? Is it just a barrel swap, or does one have to change the barrel and slide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

GEEKABALL posted:

Is this really a thing? If so, how hard is the conversion? Is it just a barrel swap, or does one have to change the barrel and slide?

Well, you can just drop a 9mm barrel in it and go. It works a little better if you get 9mm mags to go along with it. I wouldn't use such a conversion for defensive use since the gun wasn't designed to be run that way, but it's fine for range use. Mine has worked just fine.

A better (but obviously more expensive) way to go is to buy a whole 9mm D upper (barrel and slide) and go that way. But if you're on a budget and it's really just a range gun, the barrel does work.

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the Beretta is one of the few answers to the question, "I need something in .40, what should I get?"