Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

infrared35 posted:

John McClane was a lefty. You think he dropped mags with his trigger finger, like a chump? :colbert:

I ain't no chump!

any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

I got to try out a new M9 at the range today, I may have been the first customer to fire it considering how new it looked. I loved the grip, it felt better than any Beretta I've held before, usually they feel to fat. Unfortunately, I'm a lefty the M9 has a vestigial flipper-baby ambi safety with no cutout on the right side (the left side is a normal Beretta slide safety).

I really liked the DA even though it was too heavy, I'd squeeze it a bit and hold it until the front sight stopped shaking, then squeeze a little more, etc. Even with the heaviness I was pretty accurate out to 15 yards when firing in DA only (safetying between each shot). I consistently shot low and to the right in SA, with a couple of flyers that were down at waist level at 10 yards (major flinch alert!).

This leads me to believe a 92D would be perfect for me, but I'm not sure if the grip can be made identical. Is the grip contour the same, and can M9 panels be put on a 92D? Are the mags the same? (The range mag was stamped "made in Italy"). Can a 92D be fitted with adjustable rear sights, or are they molded into the slide like the front sight? Are there any 92D's with reinforced Brigadier slides? I really hope all the answers to these questions are "yes."

Unrelated: my friend has a 92 compact (F or FS, I don't remember the difference but I know it's not a G variant) and the trigger is heavy as gently caress. Is the firing mechanism identical, meaning a D spring can be substituted? Or does a company make a lighter spring for the compact? That compact would be awesome with a lighter trigger pull and the removal of the SSBBW wooden grips...

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Filthy Hans posted:

I got to try out a new M9 at the range today, I may have been the first customer to fire it considering how new it looked. I loved the grip, it felt better than any Beretta I've held before, usually they feel to fat. Unfortunately, I'm a lefty the M9 has a vestigial flipper-baby ambi safety with no cutout on the right side (the left side is a normal Beretta slide safety).

I really liked the DA even though it was too heavy, I'd squeeze it a bit and hold it until the front sight stopped shaking, then squeeze a little more, etc. Even with the heaviness I was pretty accurate out to 15 yards when firing in DA only (safetying between each shot). I consistently shot low and to the right in SA, with a couple of flyers that were down at waist level at 10 yards (major flinch alert!).

This leads me to believe a 92D would be perfect for me, but I'm not sure if the grip can be made identical. Is the grip contour the same, and can M9 panels be put on a 92D? Are the mags the same? (The range mag was stamped "made in Italy"). Can a 92D be fitted with adjustable rear sights, or are they molded into the slide like the front sight? Are there any 92D's with reinforced Brigadier slides? I really hope all the answers to these questions are "yes."

Unrelated: my friend has a 92 compact (F or FS, I don't remember the difference but I know it's not a G variant) and the trigger is heavy as gently caress. Is the firing mechanism identical, meaning a D spring can be substituted? Or does a company make a lighter spring for the compact? That compact would be awesome with a lighter trigger pull and the removal of the SSBBW wooden grips...

If you really like the newer backstrap style, you can buy a D-spring and drop it in an M9. I have a 92D and it owns - a little harder to shoot quickly, but the DA is incredibly smooth. CDNN had some in pretty decent shape for $289, and I suggest you jump on one if that's what you want, as they aren't made new anymore.

Don't know the answers to the rest of your questions, except that all Berettas have removable rear sights, so those can be swapped, and the magazines are interchangeable.

edit for those more intelligent than me: Which of the new Beretta models have removable front sights? Or is it possible to have a standard slide dovetailed?

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 20, 2012

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Filthy Hans posted:

Are the mags the same? (The range mag was stamped "made in Italy").
Can a 92D be fitted with adjustable rear sights, or are they molded into the slide like the front sight?
Are there any 92D's with reinforced Brigadier slides?

Yes.

Yes, and a bunch of people do it. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/657597/beretta-rear-sight-beretta-92-96-target-adjustable-with-white-dots?productNumber=657597 Out of stock but you can see what it looks like.

Yes, but they are all used since they were discontinued. They are common enough that it shouldn't take too long to find one.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

IuniusBrutus posted:

If you really like the newer backstrap style, you can buy a D-spring and drop it in an M9.

I thought the M9 frame was the old style frame? :confused:

If you hold an M9 next to a 92FS the scallop or cutout or whatever you call it really does make a difference. I like the M9 frame better, personally.

quote:

edit for those more intelligent than me: Which of the new Beretta models have removable front sights? Or is it possible to have a standard slide dovetailed?

Beretta 92A1s are the newest model I know of with removable front sights. Vertecs and I think Brigadiers are the other common guns with them until you start getting into Elites or whatever.

If you want to count 90-Twos I think they have removable front sights as well but I've never seen one in person.

Edit: The most common front sight mod that I know of is having Tooltech drill the front sight and add a tritium lamp. I've never heard of anyone dovetailing a standard Beretta slide (which would be cool).

Kennebago fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 20, 2012

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

infrared35 posted:

John McClane was a lefty. You think he dropped mags with his trigger finger, like a chump? :colbert:

:aaaaa:

My man crush for Bruce Willis grows. :allears:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

Operating Rod posted:

I thought the M9 frame was the old style frame? :confused:

If you hold an M9 next to a 92FS the scallop or cutout or whatever you call it really does make a difference. I like the M9 frame better, personally.

I haven't been able to compare two against each other, I just really liked holding that M9. It's a large grip, but somehow it felt perfect despite my small hands. The only other grip that feels as natural for my hands is a USPc. I was really looking forward to the Gen4 Glocks with the smaller grips but I hate hate HATE the knobby texture.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

infrared35 posted:

I didn't believe this was actually the case so I had to go back and watch some scenes again. I knew they fitted an extended slide catch for Bruce Willis's mutant left-handedness, so I should have guessed they would reverse the mag release as well.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Hey, up yours with that mutant poo poo! :bahgawd: His left-handedness is proof of his superiority. :smug:

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mad Dragon posted:

Hey, up yours with that mutant poo poo! :bahgawd: His left-handedness is proof of his superiority. :smug:

There is nothing superior about being wrong handed.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

Flikken posted:

There is nothing superior about being wrong handed.
Yup. There's something sinister about those people.

A Beretta (not mine)

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

Yup. There's something sinister about those people.

A Beretta (not mine)

Ugh.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

double post for results:

Shot my 92D today at the IDPA patch. Did well, with no non-ammo related malfunctions. The trigger had some odd results on my shooting; if I took shooting slow, I did pretty well - probably a bit better than normal. Any time I had to shoot quickly though, I choked up pretty bad. Moving targets ruined me, when usually I would do well on them. It'll take some practice to be able to shoot it quickly and keep the sights aligned.

The dead tritium vial in front isn't doing it for me, though. It's not a problem when shooting in a range, but under stress it's very hard to pick up. I'm going to email Novak and see if they can dovetail the front sight. If not, I think I may have to dig up a Brigadier or 92A1 for IDPA/USPSA, since otherwise shooting a Beretta ruled.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

IuniusBrutus posted:

The dead tritium vial in front isn't doing it for me, though. It's not a problem when shooting in a range, but under stress it's very hard to pick up. I'm going to email Novak and see if they can dovetail the front sight. If not, I think I may have to dig up a Brigadier or 92A1 for IDPA/USPSA, since otherwise shooting a Beretta ruled.

Last time I talked to Trijicon, if you send your slide to them they'll re-lamp it with fresh vials for $50.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Only $50? That's excellent - Trijicons website just linked me to an outside place that charged $200 or some such, but that was to replace the rear and drill the front, not just relamp them.

I'm not too worried right now, since as soon as I find either a CZ75 or A1/Elite/Brigadier for a decent price that will be my competition pistol, but this slide will probably go out anyways, now.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

:confuoot:

I've been stewing about that PX4 .40 that I saw at the local fudd shop; the one with seven mags for $525. I decided to go back and try to get a better deal.

I succeeded. :toot:

It's used, but barely. It still has the factory grease in it. Six of the seven mags look as if they've never had rounds in them, and the seventh looks like it was used once.

And it immediately got the tacticat seal of approval. :woop:

On top of everything else, it's a G variant, which I prefer to the F. :angel:

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

What kinda deal we talkin?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Kommienzuspadt posted:

What kinda deal we talkin?

$450 out the door, and I got them to throw in a large four-pistol case that I'd had my eyes on for a while. :razz:

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

infrared35 posted:

$450 out the door, and I got them to throw in a large four-pistol case that I'd had my eyes on for a while. :razz:

drat. So assuming each magazine is worth ~25bux you got the gun for 275. I think even I would move on something like that.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Kommienzuspadt posted:

drat. So assuming each magazine is worth ~25bux you got the gun for 275. I think even I would move on something like that.

And that's if they're Mec-Gars, which they aren't. They're factory mags, which are worth a little more. Even though they're basically identical.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

infrared35 posted:

:confuoot:

I've been stewing about that PX4 .40 that I saw at the local fudd shop; the one with seven mags for $525. I decided to go back and try to get a better deal.

I succeeded. :toot:

It's used, but barely. It still has the factory grease in it. Six of the seven mags look as if they've never had rounds in them, and the seventh looks like it was used once.

And it immediately got the tacticat seal of approval. :woop:

On top of everything else, it's a G variant, which I prefer to the F. :angel:

I've been making GBS threads all over these, as well as the Stoeger Cougars, for a long time now, but they're starting to grow on me.

these are the ones with the fancy pants rotating recoil system, right?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

IuniusBrutus posted:

I've been making GBS threads all over these, as well as the Stoeger Cougars, for a long time now, but they're starting to grow on me.

these are the ones with the fancy pants rotating recoil system, right?

Yep, and the triggers are nice compared to stock 92/96 guns. I was surprised by how smooth and relatively light the DA pull was on this G model.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Swapped my stock hammer spring for a 16-pound Wolff spring, I'm really happy with it.

Unfortunately, when I put my grip back afterwards I must not have been paying attention or something because I stripped the head on one of my hex screws. It totally surprised me because I didn't think I was applying much pressure, but it's stripped pretty good and I can't get it out.

My first thought was to put a few drops of quick-set epoxy on a wrench head and let it set up in the stripped screw overnight, but that sounded too easy. Also I don't want to end up with a pistol that has a screw, a wrench, and a Hogue grip all epoxied to it because I was stupid.

The internet says cutting a slot in the screw with a Dremel is the thing to do but I'm not really eager to do that either on a pistol frame.

Any advice? I'm not in a rush, because it's not impeding function or anything, but I would like to fix it sooner than later.

Edit: Infrared35 is right, PX4s have pretty decent triggers.

Kennebago fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 22, 2012

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Dude... Your avatar is a slideshow, today.

In Beretta news: I inadvertently convinced someone not to buy a Nano today. The Nano is mediocre and he was a muzzle-sweepinv idiot, so it is probably for the best.

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

Also in Beretta news: I convinced another goon that the 92FS is indeed awesome!

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

wrong thread :shobon:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Operating Rod posted:

The internet says cutting a slot in the screw with a Dremel is the thing to do but I'm not really eager to do that either on a pistol frame.

That's probably what I would do; just go slowly and carefully, cutting a little at a time until you have a slot that you can apply some torque to.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

That's probably what I would do; just go slowly and carefully, cutting a little at a time until you have a slot that you can apply some torque to.

If it's got a hex hole in it, you could try a screw extractor sized for the hole remaining where the hex was stripped, without drilling anything new. Otherwise do what IR35 says.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Butch Cassidy posted:

Dude... Your avatar is a slideshow, today.

In Beretta news: I inadvertently convinced someone not to buy a Nano today. The Nano is mediocre and he was a muzzle-sweepinv idiot, so it is probably for the best.

I know. By my count a total of 60 bucks have been spent on me. That's a bag of weed somebody could be smoking instead. drat.

Anyway, what don't you like about the nano?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I know. By my count a total of 60 bucks have been spent on me. That's a bag of weed somebody could be smoking instead. drat.

On my phone, so I can get more detailed when I get settled.back in the house.

It was.completely average so it lost amy aesthetic or ergonomic points.

It was thicker than an LC9 which I could just pull the safety out of.

The grip was just another polymer single-stack.

The aights were no better than a Kahr or LC9.

It wasn't that I didn't like it, rather that it felt completely average with no reason to choose over another. It did feel solid and had typical Beretta quality of machining.

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I think you're in the middle of a moderator dick waiving contest

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Flikken posted:

I don't know, I think the "penniless hippy" sounds like something skyshark would say to me, except that 1. I haven't bought any of these and 2. i don't think skyshark cares enough to buy me an avatar. Even if they are pretty funny.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Flikken posted:

"dick waiving" amuses me unnecessarily.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

infrared35 posted:

"dick waiving" amuses me unnecessarily.

No dicks necessary here, Sir.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

I sucked it up and cut a slot in my stripped screw with a dremel - worked great, thanks for the advice everybody! The only casualty was some minor marring on the grip. It's a Hogue, so who cares. Whole thing took like five minutes.

I keep reading online that Beretta grip screws are really easy to strip, which I never heard of before. Mine surprised me with how little force it took, so I have a set of slotted screws coming. And why not throw in some spare factory mags while you're ordering poo poo, right?

I missed out on the used mags CDNN had up for a while, oh well.

Butch Cassidy posted:

It did feel solid and had typical Beretta quality of machining.

Beretta Forums guys have not been particularly kind to the Nano. Apparently it's picky with ammo and the best bet is to stick with defensive loads? It doesn't seem to do well with WWB/Blazer/whatever, anyway.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

I've held a Nano. Briefly. I put it down quickly. It struck me as unergonomic with a ridiculous bore axis, the lack of slide stop bothers me, and, worst of all, it is gently caress-ugly. Credit where credit is due: it is VERY small, smaller than all its major competition (LC9, Shield, PPS, etc). I still don't like it.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So, my local gun shop has a full-size 9mm PX4 in stock for $250 in pretty good shape. I was all "yesssssss it's so mineeeeeeee" until I picked it up and played with it.

That trigger. :stare: It was SAO, except the trigger was heavier and longer than my DAO 92. It's a shame too, because it otherwise was pretty neat and felt decent. Is there a way to swap the trigger to the Constant-Action set-up or whatever Beretta uses that isn't as bad?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Operating Rod posted:

Beretta Forums guys have not been particularly kind to the Nano. Apparently it's picky with ammo and the best bet is to stick with defensive loads? It doesn't seem to do well with WWB/Blazer/whatever, anyway.

Ooh. That is not a good sign.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Take your polymer and get the gently caress out.

just kidding I think the Nano is pretty cool

thermobollocks fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

CDNN has 84s for $299, forcing myself to control my wallet

http://slickguns.com/product/cdnn-used-gun-specials-10-7-2011