Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

The issue is...with hybrid kydex/leather holsters, you can usually shove a railed gun into a non-railed holster, since the leather can give a bit. In a full kydex holster (which is what I need) it should fit the gun exactly, and I don't think it will fit around the rail.

Also, the 92A1 has at least a slightly different frames shape than a Vertec - the trigger guard is rounded, rather than squared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

http://networkedblogs.com/ySToE

quote:

Beretta ARX160 in 7.62x39mm

While other manufactures call their new assault rifle designs milti-caliber, but don't produce them in anything other than 5.56mm, Beretta is shipping a 7.62x39mm version of their Beretta ARX160. It is one sexy rifle (I really like the Beretta style). This rifle as on display at Eurosatory.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

:stare:

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

:stare::fh:

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Is that an AK mag in it? Does that thing take AK mags? Because holy poo poo...

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

stupid question: wheres the mag release?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Maybe that button-y thing under the front of the trigger guard?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

That ARX looks pretty amazing. I want it in 6.5mm.

I have a Px4 Storm in .40, and I love it.

I hate it when other soldiers claim to hate the Beretta 92/M9 just because it's cool to hate all service weapons. It's a little large for a 9mm, but it's a solid, reliable piece and pretty accurate. It's also very easy to break down and clean. It's just no longer glamorous because it ain't the 1911 and it's been in too many movies.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I think there are some legitimate reliability issues, but it seems like they're mostly attributable to the third-party magazines that the military was using.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Well, that and a lot of the M9s we have are just worn the gently caress out. A newer pistol won't give you any problems with the right mags. Bad mags are pretty much the bane of the Army. It's why I own like ten PMags.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

It seems every M9 complaint goes back to either slide cracks, locking block failures, or magazine issues.

Only one of those is a real issue, and it's the military's own goddamn fault.

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 20, 2012

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

IuniusBrutus posted:

It seems every M9 complaint goes back to either slide cracks, locking block failures, or magazine issues.

Only one of those is a real issue, and it's the military's own goddamn fault.

I'm guessing you're referring to the locking block failures?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Flikken posted:

I'm guessing you're referring to the locking block failures?

Well, magazines...AFAIK they still are using Checkmate magazines which are pretty ehhh compared to Beretta/Mec-Gar.

Flikken
Oct 22, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

IuniusBrutus posted:

Well, magazines...AFAIK they still are using Checkmate magazines which are pretty ehhh compared to Beretta/Mec-Gar.

Only reason I mentioned the locking block is I saw one of them fail on the range once. But ya the checkmate magazines were poo poo, I always looked for the mag's with the thick magazine buttplates.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

nevermind

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

IuniusBrutus posted:

I thought the deal with the Checkmates involved the coating the military asked for reacting badly with desert dust. I haven't had any problems with mine, but Colorado dust is made of gold bullion and unicorn jizz.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

A coworker just told me that he has a Helwan that he neglects.

And he refuses to sell it to me. :saddowns:

Representative Ay-rab pistol:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

A coworker just told me that he has a Helwan that he neglects.

And he refuses to sell it to me. :saddowns:

Smack that bitch up.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

Not sure if anyone cares about this, or if it's really news, but I just noticed that Beretta USA has low-profile G-conversion decock-only levers for the PX4 and PX4 Compact back in stock. They were gone for like months and months. If you have an F-type PX4 or PX4 compact installing them will convert your safety to decock-only (which is a mod you can also just do yourself with the massive stock levers).

My only gripe with my PX4 is the gigantic controls, so I'm pretty excited to try these.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Cole's Distributing has a couple of FRAME SAFETY 92s for sale for good prices.

Here is the nicest of the bunch, though they start at $300: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=297197283

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

IuniusBrutus posted:

Here is the nicest of the bunch, though they start at $300: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=297197283

gently caress my dollars.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Cocked and locked, baby.

Just be sure that when you buy extra mags, they have the lower mag catch hole.

As some of these do.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

How much would one have to worry that the slide will bury itself in one's face in a couple decades of shooting? :ohdear:

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

SadWhaleFamily posted:

How much would one have to worry that the slide will bury itself in one's face in a couple decades of shooting? :ohdear:

Yours? I wouldn't worry.

Just don't feed it 30,000 rounds of NATO ammo. Commercial-spec 9 plus regularly paying attention to the insides and you'll be fine.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

:siren: ATTN IR35 :siren:

I'm pretty sure you are the only one who likes either .40 OR Vertec Berettas, so this is right up your alley!

Summit has some 96 Vertecs still in stock in both regular and Inox versions. Buy today and get a third magazine:

http://summitgunbroker.com/96_Vertec.html

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

IuniusBrutus posted:

:siren: ATTN IR35 :siren:

I'm pretty sure you are the only one who likes either .40 OR Vertec Berettas, so this is right up your alley!

Summit has some 96 Vertecs still in stock in both regular and Inox versions. Buy today and get a third magazine:

http://summitgunbroker.com/96_Vertec.html

Dammit, I just blew my fun money on a PX4 Compact. :(:fh:

A 96 Vertec in Inox would be hot as hell.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

I just got a Beretta 96 in a trade, and since it didn't cost me money I have been formulating plans for it. I'm told that a 9mm barrel will drop into a 96 and still work fine, maybe but not necessarily also requiring a magazine change. I think that would be cool to have barrels for both calibers, but also I have, for a long time, wanted to try out suppressing a pistol.

If I buy this: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=299001692
I should just be able to drop it in, and screw on my friend's 9mm Gemtech suppressor with the same threading and see how it works, correct?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Quickshanks posted:

I just got a Beretta 96 in a trade, and since it didn't cost me money I have been formulating plans for it. I'm told that a 9mm barrel will drop into a 96 and still work fine, maybe but not necessarily also requiring a magazine change. I think that would be cool to have barrels for both calibers, but also I have, for a long time, wanted to try out suppressing a pistol.

If I buy this: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=299001692
I should just be able to drop it in, and screw on my friend's 9mm Gemtech suppressor with the same threading and see how it works, correct?

It should work fine.

Related content:

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

Cool. I'm going to buy a barrel tonight.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Tornado Tech makes a quality product.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ungh. Thanks, this is added to the buy list :)

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

My Beretta collection. M96A1 top, M9 bottom.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Dammit, if I hadn't bought another gun and had twice the amount of money I spent on that gun, I'd get this and a can so fast in 8-12 months yay NFA.

Juice
Jun 19, 2002

Carbohydrates posted:

this is amazing

Pretty sweet. They say the slide is widened from a normal 92fs. WTF. I assume it won't fit in a normal holster then...

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Juice posted:

Pretty sweet. They say the slide is widened from a normal 92fs. WTF. I assume it won't fit in a normal holster then...

Dimensionally it looks like a standard Brigadier slide. So if you can find a Brigadier holster, I'm guessing it would still fit.

Leather helps too. I carry a 96D Brigadier in a standard Galco Combat Master.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Double post! :woop:

After much trouble with package delivery services, I finally took possession of the gun that I won on gunbroker by placing a joke bid on a mis-spelled auction.

I occasionally troll gunbroker for commonly misspelled gun names like Baretta or Beratta, etc. I rarely find anything really enticing, but I saw an auction for a PX4 Compact that had basically no description, not even what caliber the gun was. It started at a penny, and had no bids. There was a reserve, however. Just on a lark, I put a lowball bid on it. And it met the reserve price. :stare:

And I took it for a test drive at IDPA practice tonight, and smoked "The Intimidator" who was running his usual Glock 34. :v:

And yeah, the back strap is a little narfed up, but other than that it's in great shape. And for the price, I could buy like a million backstraps and still come out ahead.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 7, 2012

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

It's adorable. :swoon:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Is that the 9mm? I have the full-size in .40. I fuckin' love that gun.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Martello posted:

Is that the 9mm? I have the full-size in .40. I fuckin' love that gun.

That one's 9mm. I also have a full-size 9mm with the Constant Action trigger, and a full-size .40 G-series. They are good shooters. They point very naturally for me, and I like the triggers and the sights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I only put a magazine through it, but at my CCW class I shot a guys 9mm PX4 Compact and it shot waaaaaaay low for me (and for him apparently but it was his first gun ever).